General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Dec-14 13:14:56
Print Post

Re: Three massively reduces planned 4G coverage for 2015

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Good spot for Hull! I've changed Hull to "Dropped" and added a note.

FYI I updated the map since originally posting. Initial roll out towns have been added, I found 47 although that is now 46 with Hull moved to Dropped.

I also checked the dropped towns and found 8 to be enabled so they are now "Enabled 2014".

I have started going through the "Unchanged" towns so that I can mark these as "Enabled 2014" or "Planned for 2015". ... I got bored checking these so haven't finished or uploaded the new data yet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User tallseabird
(committed) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:45:47
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I have recently moved to Three not so much for their 4G as to try the 3G (DC‑HSDPA) they talk about - it's good!

However, I live in Antrim which has been changed to 'Dropped' but on the coverage checker for BT41 4NH I get this message

"Work is planned in this area on the dates shown below. This may affect your normal network service, but should only last for about 6-8 hours. From 28/01/2015 to 28/01/2015, from 27/01/2015 to 27/01/2015, from 26/01/2015 to 26/01/2015."

It previously listed 13/14 January as well - does this not imply that 4G is coming. Obviously it could be any work but for 3-5 days worth of work would it not be wasteful to not include a 4G upgrade?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:56:14
Print Post

[re: tallseabird] [link to this post]

The checker should say coming soon if coming in the next 3 months so I doubt this is work to upgrade to 4G.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Jan-15 18:40:53
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
The checker should say coming soon if coming in the next 3 months so I doubt this is work to upgrade to 4G.

Could easily be preparation work, such as concrete base being installed, or installing empty cabinets ready for new hardware once the hardware is available and the backhaul network is available.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 23:32:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Three 4G speeds in the one or two tiny areas of Guildford that can get it are around 8mbps symmetric. For some reason, last time I tested (end of 2014), there were two trasnmitters outputting: Woodbridge Meadows and Guildford Exchange, but the Guildford exchange was operating at massively reduced power ~50db below the DC-HSDPA. So much for the coverage they show on their map!

EE Single speed consistently gets me 20-30mbps and double speed gets 90mbps regularly. On the 350 EE samples I've done, average speed comes out about 35mbps. I'll have to 'translate' the data a bit before I comment much more though!
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Feb-15 07:13:04
Print Post

[re: Pedrostech] [link to this post]

They have shown 3 months for 4G in Belfast got quite a while now... not really complaining as their 3G H+ network is fantastic..

http://s1.postimg.org/fq2dwoev3/image.png

The upload is poor though compared to 4G

Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 10:08:44
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

That's better than I see on good vodafone 4G in uncongested areas!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... that test was one of the lower ones, but the highest I've seen is 35 down 5 up!
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Feb-15 10:49:35
Print Post

[re: Pedrostech] [link to this post]

Three are great even on 3G H+ here in N.Ireland

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 15-Feb-15 11:37:49
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Maybe they have scaled it back due to the possible tie-up with O2. If those companies merge, then upgrading in some areas will be an expense they don't need to make.
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Feb-15 13:24:01
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

They would still have a benefit from upgrading overlapping areas as they could then use LTE-A

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to