General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Feb-15 20:48:06
Print Post

Re: Three massively reduces planned 4G coverage for 2015

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by bookey:
O2 + 3 would be the largest player in the pure mobile space but have the least amount of spectrum, once customers realise that other operators offer more then I can see them moving operators.

That will be interesting to watch. Do people buy for speed or for any connectivity. I still don't understand how people think todays 3G performance on O2 and Vodafone is acceptable.

The more people take smartphones and use them for more than voice is when people will realise having a strong 2G signal showing Edge / GPRS is dire, and they need a minimum of 3G for the phone to 'work' 4G preferred of course.
EE + BT would still be the biggest telco but not biggest in pure mobile, but I am sure EE and BT management plan to change that!

I can't see BT buying the current number 1 and not wanting to maintain that position, but anything is possible.

Could not possibility comment!

In short, yes O2 and Three need more spectrum but there is none currently for sale...

Maybe 3500mhz eventually; but hardly any handset support.

Problem with 3500Mhz is O2 and 3 only have 800Mhz that they can use for LTE (OK 3 has a small amount of 1800Mhz) the coverage gap between 800Mhz and 3500Mhz is large, a 3500Mhz cell is only liable to be 500m-1km in size, so will only work in dense urban high demand locations, and will require a cell site estate that is dense also.
Services like this with Virgin and Arqiva - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/virgin-... will become dependant services for O2 and 3 to build a more dense urban network.

Paul
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Feb-15 12:10:44
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

The more people take smartphones and use them for more than voice is when people will realise having a strong 2G signal showing Edge / GPRS is dire, and they need a minimum of 3G for the phone to 'work' 4G preferred of course.

Agreed; and given the amount of money Vodafone are throwing at their network, their 4G should be okay for a while. My office has just enabled 4G on our work accounts, which should hopefully mean getting emails through instead of 'no data' on 2G wink

Could not possibility comment!

smile

Problem with 3500Mhz is O2 and 3 only have 800Mhz that they can use for LTE (OK 3 has a small amount of 1800Mhz) the coverage gap between 800Mhz and 3500Mhz is large, a 3500Mhz cell is only liable to be 500m-1km in size, so will only work in dense urban high demand locations, and will require a cell site estate that is dense also.
Services like this with Virgin and Arqiva - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/virgin-... will become dependant services for O2 and 3 to build a more dense urban network.

Interesting - hadn't seen that article from Virgin Media Business. Arqiva will want to run their site-share scheme and sell capacity to the telcos I assume. I thought 2600 would end up deployed like that.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Feb-15 14:25:43
Print Post

2.3GHz is in the process of being rearranged to free up some spectrum. These plans involve removing most of the current amateur allocation later this year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Feb-15 14:58:48
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:

2.3GHz is in the process of being rearranged to free up some spectrum. These plans involve removing most of the current amateur allocation later this year.

LTE Band 40 - if that's TDD then the iPhone 6 can support it, but wonder how many other handsets. Not much use if you have to persuade your customers to upgrade phones _again_ smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Feb-15 16:44:32
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:

I'll take the 40Mhz of 2.3Ghz please, would provide a good overlay to existing cells where as placed for 3G coverage in 2.1Ghz.

Paul
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Feb-15 10:20:21
Print Post

I wouldn't get too excited about Vodafone from my experiences of the network.

I was expecting great things of 800Mhz. The reality was Three and EE we're still better for speed and coverage, even in buildings.

Disappointing really.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:02:43
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
I wouldn't get too excited about Vodafone from my experiences of the network.
I was expecting great things of 800Mhz. The reality was Three and EE we're still better for speed and coverage, even in buildings.Disappointing really.

If Vodafone build enough new masts then they have the finances to compete with EE, but with only the existing mast locations and using 800mhz spectrum they'll have a "good" network but not an "amazing". The other two could be just "okay" or "poor".

It will take a few years to shake out; and most people won't notice - just look how many people are still on O2 due to the iPhone exclusive, and assume all 3G is the same. (fools).

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 03-Mar-15 05:56:08
Print Post

That will be interesting to watch. Do people buy for speed or for any connectivity. I still don't understand how peole think todays 3G performance on O2 and Vodafone is acceptable.

and three?

considering O2 is faster than three half the time, is odd you missed them out.

Three performance is hideous around here, (alongside O2 now tho, but O2 was at least ok up until about a year ago)

To me EE is the only mobile provider who has built a half decent network, everyone else seems to have bled their networks dry.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 03-Mar-15 06:07:14
Print Post

[re: Pedrostech] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pedrostech:
Three 4G speeds in the one or two tiny areas of Guildford that can get it are around 8mbps symmetric. For some reason, last time I tested (end of 2014), there were two trasnmitters outputting: Woodbridge Meadows and Guildford Exchange, but the Guildford exchange was operating at massively reduced power ~50db below the DC-HSDPA. So much for the coverage they show on their map!

EE Single speed consistently gets me 20-30mbps and double speed gets 90mbps regularly. On the 350 EE samples I've done, average speed comes out about 35mbps. I'll have to 'translate' the data a bit before I comment much more though!

dude I am on EE double speed, but how do I tell which I am using? someone told me double speed is for london only, but EE's website says its in many areas so am confused. I do have a LTE-A phone if thats relevant.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 03-Mar-15 07:19:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

That's true if you're in EE 4G area but I've had no end of trouble with their 3G network.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to