General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 07:30:58
Print Post

Re: Three massively reduces planned 4G coverage for 2015

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
and three?
considering O2 is faster than three half the time, is odd you missed them out.
Three performance is hideous around here, (alongside O2 now tho, but O2 was at least ok up until about a year ago)

Around here O2 and Vodafone have been consistently slow - around 1.5 to 3megabit. Their 3G is speeding up now that 4G has launched and improved backhaul in place. Three in comparison on 3G has normally been over 10meg; sometimes 20. Their 4G by comparison is often only 15meg , but lower latency.

Three is usually better than O2 when you drive around the country, as no useless GPRS anywhere, but in towns their speed was suddenly much slower than before when EE was fine.

To me EE is the only mobile provider who has built a half decent network, everyone else seems to have bled their networks dry.

I think Three may be overloaded in areas - can be seen by them stopping unlimited tethering. EE has managed capacity better, as you'd hope from a network with 20m subscribers, compared to the 9 or 10m on Three.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Tue 03-Mar-15 07:33:03)

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Mar-15 09:21:27
Print Post

Based on the EE coverage map.
Single speed 4G - Blue
Double speed 4G - Yellow

LTE-A - Not showing on the coverage map as yet, but currently only within the M25 (for now.)

Paul
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 17:57:04
Print Post

dude I am on EE double speed, but how do I tell which I am using? someone told me double speed is for london only, but EE's website says its in many areas so am confused. I do have a LTE-A phone if thats relevant.

You need to be on a plan with double speed mentioned, (or on SIM only with more than 4GB data) and ALSO in a double speed area on the map. Technically that seems to be a combination of 2x20mhz spectrum (at 1800) with some enhanced backhaul.

http://coverage.ee.co.uk - enter your own postcode, then click the 4G section on the left and the map will display green for 4G and yellow for double speed 4G only.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 04-Mar-15 15:45:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

yeah I am in a double speed area according to that checker, I checked before ordering else I wouldnt have ordered it.

So double speed 4g on EE is nothing to do with lte-a? http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/4gplus ?

Note also EE shipping s5 lte-a phones.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 23:00:37
Print Post

So double speed 4g on EE is nothing to do with lte-a? http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/4gplus ?

Correct. Lte-a is only available with Extra tarrif in the covered area. Sim only can't get extra but can see faster than 30 Mbps which is double speed.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 05-Mar-15 14:42:39
Print Post

I am referring to the double speed that is linked to the extra tariff.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Mar-15 15:08:17
Print Post

I'm with you on that.

O2 and Vodafone are nowhere near as quick as 3, outdoors, in the majority of areas I have been too - but I rarely go to big cities. Rurally, you will end up on Edge or GPRS on VF and O2, where as you won't on 3 and EE. In London, I noticed 3 were quite slow. At Euston I struggled to get more than 4mb/s on 3 4G.

Internally, it's a different situation though. 3G900Mhz can penetrate buildings better and I have seen speeds of 9mb/s on Vodafone 3G (900mhz) indoors, where 3 and EE have No Service / 2G.

I know in urban areas where Vodafone have rolled out 4G, they score well on rootmetrics. Vodafone also won the 'monopoly board' network test in London which included all the major networks.

I've yet to try a 2600Mhz device on Vodafone but I have heard in London, the speeds are pretty impressive.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 19:54:53
Print Post

I am referring to the double speed that is linked to the extra tariff.

Sorry, terminology is crucial.

EE use the term "double speed" only for one thing on the website, which seems to be (by deducation) speeds higher than 30mbps in pretty much all areas - but more likely in areas in the yellow shading on the map.

People who buy handset contracts and choose the 'extra' option have access to the 4G+ LTE-A which is faster again. SIM only is limited to "double speed" and can't currently access 4G+ as no "extra" on SIM only.

Yes, SIM only customers are second class citizens, and it makes no sense. I emailed EE about this.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 19:58:51
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
O2 and Vodafone are nowhere near as quick as 3, outdoors, in the majority of areas I have been too - but I rarely go to big cities. Rurally, you will end up on Edge or GPRS on VF and O2, where as you won't on 3 and EE. In London, I noticed 3 were quite slow. At Euston I struggled to get more than 4mb/s on 3 4G.

In north east scotland where I've just been for a business trip, Vodafone only has GPRS. No 3G in Inverness, or along the coast until you get to Aberdeen. EE and Three (MBNL) both have 3G pretty much the entire length of the A96. In Inverness city centre EE now has 4G.

Internally, it's a different situation though. 3G900Mhz can penetrate buildings better and I have seen speeds of 9mb/s on Vodafone 3G (900mhz) indoors, where 3 and EE have No Service / 2G.

If EE has 2G then they will have 4G shortly, but yes, 900mhz has good indoor penetration, which is why all networks have 800mhz allocation. However 3G900 at 9mbps is impressive, normally its about 1 to 2 mbps due to loading and limited spectrum allocated. Bulk of 3G is at 2100mhz for all networks. Vodafone and O2 have less masts so they have problems with indoor coverage at 2100, whereas EE and Three do better by physically being closer to the user. Mid 90s investment by Orange and T-mobile paid off.

I know in urban areas where Vodafone have rolled out 4G, they score well on rootmetrics. Vodafone also won the 'monopoly board' network test in London which included all the major networks.

It is unclear if that may have been down to the fact that Vodafone still charge a higher price for 4G, where O2 have now bundled it to many people, and EE had then around 7million and now has more than 8million customers on 4G.

I've yet to try a 2600Mhz device on Vodafone but I have heard in London, the speeds are pretty impressive.

Probably due to less users, until Vodafone sort out their pricing - which given recent advertisments for SIM only they might have done.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Mar-15 13:04:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It is unclear if that may have been down to the fact that Vodafone still charge a higher price for 4G, where O2 have now bundled it to many people, and EE had then around 7million and now has more than 8million customers on 4G.

Almost all new Vodafone price plans have 4G included. 4G access is gradually finding its way lower down the range. Taking SIM only as an example, when 4G first launched you had to have a price plan with unlimited voice, unlimited texts and more than 1GB of data per month to have access to 4G. 4G became available on new unlimited voice, unlimited texts and 1GB data last year, and it is now available on the 900 minutes voice, unlimited texts and 500MB data plan. It's only the entry level 300 minutes voice, 500 texts and 250MB data plan that is 3G only.

I wouldn't be surprised if all new Vodafone price plans include 4G before the end of the year, though that is no more than a guess.

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Probably due to less users, until Vodafone sort out their pricing - which given recent advertisments for SIM only they might have done.

The current drop in Vodafone SIM only pricing is technically a long-running promotion (which is a nuisance, as I would be entitled to a discount if it was regular pricing). That said, I would be surprised if prices went back to their original levels once the promotion ends.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to