General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-15 13:52:28
Print Post

Re: Three massively reduces planned 4G coverage for 2015

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Almost all new Vodafone price plans have 4G included. 4G access is gradually finding its way lower down the range. Taking SIM only as an example, when 4G first launched you had to have a price plan with unlimited voice, unlimited texts and more than 1GB of data per month to have access to 4G. 4G became available on new unlimited voice, unlimited texts and 1GB data last year, and it is now available on the 900 minutes voice, unlimited texts and 500MB data plan. It's only the entry level 300 minutes voice, 500 texts and 250MB data plan that is 3G only.

I wouldn't be surprised if all new Vodafone price plans include 4G before the end of the year, though that is no more than a guess.

I hope that you are right!

Though if 02 and Three start to allow cross access I might be tempted to move.

Michael Chare
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Mar-15 14:56:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I know Vodafone say they are rolling out 4G aggressively but it's still quite patchy in the Midlands. Maybe that is because their power levels are lower than the other networks (this is the case in London).

At the moment I don't think any network can touch EE for 2G/3G/4G combined.

I know there are certain buildings that O2 and Vodafone penetrate better but overall, I'd say EE is top for coverage, speed and technology.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 07-Mar-15 21:29:34
Print Post

well lte-a-a is in very limited parts of london only anyway so its not a big deal at the moment for sim only.

At one point (when I ordered) the extra speed on extra package was labeled as double speed.

I remember thinking it was required to take advantage of the double speed 4g in the double speed 4g areas.

If its no longer labeled as such then the wording has been changed, perhaps after complaints.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 07-Mar-15 21:29:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 22:10:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
well lte-a-a is in very limited parts of london only anyway so its not a big deal at the moment for sim only. At one point (when I ordered) the extra speed on extra package was labeled as double speed. I remember thinking it was required to take advantage of the double speed 4g in the double speed 4g areas. If its no longer labeled as such then the wording has been changed, perhaps after complaints.

I wouldn't put it past the EE website content creators to screw up and misunderstand the difference between 4G+ and Double Speed. I can't see the concept of Double Speed remaining beyond the end of 2015, but charging extra for 4G+ could make sense.

Even the original iPhone 5 can manage Double Speed speeds, and Vodafone has 2x20 at 2600 and they're not charging more for it. Even at 2x10 at 800 I saw 55mbps today on Vodafone. EE's 4G "double speed" area only managed 35mbps in the same location. I'm chalking that up to transmitter location/frequency as I doubt high load where I was.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 22:12:21
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
I know Vodafone say they are rolling out 4G aggressively but it's still quite patchy in the Midlands. Maybe that is because their power levels are lower than the other networks (this is the case in London).

Interesting about power levels. Vodafone in Hampshire is only on 800 and speeds are good and penetration is good, but there are a lot of unexpected holes in the coverage. It could be due to lower power to ensure there is always 900mhz 2G CSFB ?

At the moment I don't think any network can touch EE for 2G/3G/4G combined.
I know there are certain buildings that O2 and Vodafone penetrate better but overall, I'd say EE is top for coverage, speed and technology.

Yes, I think EE has the advantage, as when you fall out of 4G coverage you end up on good or excellent 3G, but with Vodafone I was on 4G at 50mbps and then 3G at 0.01 mbps today in a mate's town.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 11-Mar-15 15:28:57
Print Post

yeah their website was also advertising the wrong phone and I think still is.

They are shipping the 901F variant of the S5, but the specs are of the standard S5.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 11-Mar-15 15:29:58
Print Post

and in hospitals three probably has no signal due to lack of 2g.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Mar-15 15:58:58
Print Post

Could possibly be the case. I've noticed on EE it tends to switch back to 2G straight from 4G when making phone calls. Probably to ease capacity on 3G.

It's unfortunately how the Vodafone network is at present. In 4G coverage areas, the base stations get a full upgrade so 2G and 3G is also replaced so the network is very good.

Step outside these areas and you will probably end up on GPRS or Edge - that's where EE have a major advantage.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Mar-15 19:24:20
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
Could possibly be the case. I've noticed on EE it tends to switch back to 2G straight from 4G when making phone calls. Probably to ease capacity on 3G.

Interesting, I go from 4G to 3G for calls and back, but the 3G coverage here is excellent.

It's unfortunately how the Vodafone network is at present. In 4G coverage areas, the base stations get a full upgrade so 2G and 3G is also replaced so the network is very good.

Step outside these areas and you will probably end up on GPRS or Edge - that's where EE have a major advantage.

Yes, but at the rate Vodafone are spending money, they will both be worth watching for the foreseeable future.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Mar-15 20:16:10
Print Post

I'm considering switching to Vodafone sim only imply because at work it's impossible to make voice calls etc because the signal is poor. Three have no plans for more 4G cells in the area.Vodafone 3G 900mhz provides a reliable 2/3 bar 3G signal.

The only thing that will slow down the Vodafone roll out is the need for planning applications to build new sites.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to