General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Nov-18 18:05:23
Print Post

Re: 4G router with bridge mode?

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

Need to be able to VPN into the LAN behind the secondary router which can cause issues.
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 18:21:25
Print Post

[re: PiKe] [link to this post]

I have a VPN server running on my Asus router which then allows me to access my internal network.

Three 4G
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Wed 22-May-19 23:19:14
Print Post

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

Know this is an old post but hope someone can help.

I've got my 3 LTE connection working fine but what I can't do is connect to my VPN running on my Ubiquiti USG. From reading various forums this seems to be down to carriers like Three using CGNAT which means you don't get a public IP and hence can't get into your network from the WAN side.

The posts above seem to suggest that there's a way to do this. Can anyone shed any light on how to configure to get access to my internal network from the WAN side using my VPN already running on the USG?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 23-May-19 08:26:19
Print Post

[re: andyh747] [link to this post]

andyh747,
I have two x 3 LTE sims running via 2 x Mikrotik LTE kits to a Draytek 3220 and have no problems as both 3 connections give me a public IP, I didnt think 3 did CGNAT unlike I think EE for example.
What modem are you using to feed the USG is it a double NAT situation causing the problem , if so you will have to forward the VPN ports eg UDP 500,4500 etc from the 3 box (whatever that is) to the IP of the USG.
Only thing you will have to also setup is a Dynamic DNS as the IP's will change each time you reconnect.
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Thu 23-May-19 08:53:03
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Thanks so much for your reply. I've been pulling my hair out over this and I don't have that much left to lose!!

I'm using a USB Dongle at present (HUAWEI E8372) plugged into a GLiNet AR150 which is a small travel router allowing tethering direct from the dongle. The AR150 then plugs directly into the WAN1 port on the USG.

I've tried setting up DMZ from the dongle to the AR150 and then DMZ from the AR150 to the USG but not sure I've done this correctly and not sure it would work (double DMZ).

How can I tell if I've got a public IP or a private IP inside the three network? In other words how can you tell if you're on CGNAT?

I also have DDNS setup on the USG as I used this with my previous ADSL connection.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 23-May-19 09:19:49
Print Post

Ive not used a E8372 or AR150, but you may already be Double NAT before you even get to the USG, (tripple NAT, is that a thing?).
Im sure someone else will come along and tell how you can test for CGNAT, all I can go on is experience in that my current two 3 sims dont do it and give me a public IP each, and they are the £20 a month Mobile phone sims. I have also a Mifi data sim (100Gb allowance) on loan to a family member and that also provides a public IP.
You would really do yourself a favor, and if funds allow, get a 4G modem that is 100% able to do bridge mode eg Netgear LB1110 100% has bridge (i have one) and will pass the public IP to your USG.
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Thu 23-May-19 10:36:14
Print Post

Rolandrat

Thanks again. Yes I think youíre correct in that my setup is not doing me any favours. It was only temporary until I decided on a suitable 4G Modem. I see youíre using Mikrotik which is on my list. Iíve looked at the SXT Kit which I understand has a built in modem and allows bridging. Can you confirm that? I also looked at their next model up LHG LTE kit. I need the best antenna I can get and this seems to have greater gain. When you setup your SXTs did you have to point them at the transmitter directly ie is the antenna directional only? Iím in a fringe area and in some places round the property I get 4G with nearly 40mbps. In others nothing at all! Iím in a rural area lots of trees and hills.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 23-May-19 11:05:15
Print Post

Sadly the LTE kits are not able to bridge, must admit when I bought a single one first I was so impressed with the signal gain I bought another, but I accepted that I'd have to double NAT, but as I said previously if you forward the ports that you need going through it works fine, I have VPN and access to my CCTV system no problem at all.
I have one outside on the wall of the house, I mounted it near a upstairs window so I could adjust it without falling off a ladder, the other is just sat downstairs pointing out of a window. Ive tried aerials on normal 4G routers etc, but these things were loads better. I fix both to Band 3 and the Draytek 3220 does a splendid job of balancing the load and multi session downloads use both connections and I get about approx 62Mbps off peak times, peak times it does fall quite a bit, but always better than my 4Mb ADSL that has been cancelled for few months now, and better than the 35Mbps peak using normal internal 4G modem/routers.
Yes you do have to point it in the general direction and I found the smallest of positioning changes can make a big difference. I bought a 20m network cable and used my phone to monitor signal and basically wandered about the house and holding it out of windows etc to find the general best signal location.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 23-May-19 11:51:40
Print Post

You are right the "SXT LTE" does not support passthrough. However that is a discontinued device and according to the following web page on Microtik's website the replacement "SXT LTE kit" does support passthrough.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

Edited by jabuzzard (Thu 23-May-19 11:52:26)

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 23-May-19 11:58:37
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I do have the 'Kit' version, and it does say that it will passthough, I think it may well be my limited knowledge of Mikrotik firmware then, I'll google a bit more and see.
Thanks

Edited by Rolandrat (Thu 23-May-19 11:58:54)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to