General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dewi
(regular) Sun 10-Mar-19 21:43:52
Print Post

EE 4GEE Home vs Three HomeFi

[link to this post]

We've just switched our static caravan from 4GEE Home Broadband to Three HomeFi.

On EE, we were getting 30 ms ping, 31.9 Mbps download and 4.76 Mbps upload. On Three, using the Huawei B311 router, we got a ping of 76 ms, 17.3 Mpbs download and 17.2 Mbps upload. I then transferred the Three SIM card to the 4GEE Home Router. On Three, using the 4GEE Home Router, we got a ping of 50 ms, 34.5 Mbps download and 9.84 Mbps upload.

All very satisfactory, given that Three HomeFi is nly £22 per month for unlimited data, whereas we were paying £50 per month for 200 GB on EE.

However, I'm puzzled why the Huawei B311 achieved a much better upload speed than the 4GEE Home Router, albeit a much lower download speed. Any ideas?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Mar-19 21:57:52
Print Post

Re: EE 4GEE Home vs Three HomeFi

[re: dewi] [link to this post]

It'd be interesting to know what you get with the SIM in a decent 4G phone. I have a Huawei P10 Lite which is now my sole source of telephone and broadband services. In a Sony (full-size) Z3 it was nothing like as good as EE but in the Huawei it was about the same as an EE SIM.

I was able to compare the Three SIM with an EE one as my Huawei was previously on a low-data EE SIM.

I got rid of my landline at home.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 10-Mar-19 21:58:13)

Standard User dewi
(regular) Sun 10-Mar-19 22:08:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My iPad, which is also on Three, got 57 ms ping, 46.8 Mbps download and 2.76 Mbps upload at the caravan a week ago, when I checked the 4G coverage to decide whether to switch from EE to Three..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Mar-19 22:49:11
Print Post

I just have the £20 SIM. No WiFi router. It suits my life-style better this way, even though a router might improve the at-home performance. I can use it anywhere, on a whim.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User dewi
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-19 10:09:16
Print Post

I'll run a speed test on the 4GEE Home Router, my iPad and my Samsung S6 Edge, all of which are now on Three, when I'm next at the caravan.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-19 14:26:00
Print Post

Certainly on Three it will depend on which band the router connects to.
Band 3 is lower signal strength for me but much higher bandwidth, Band 20 has much bet signal (better house/wall penetration) but is more congested and much lower speeds.
I fix mine to band 3 LTE.
So unless you know which band, that could be causing the differences you experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Mar-19 14:49:05
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I have the free app "LTE Discovery" on my Android phone. That gives me quite a bit of relevant info such as the band.

I expect there is a version or similar app on iOS.

Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Mon 11-Mar-19 15:09:49
Print Post

There isn't a third party app like that for iOS. Apple don't give app developers access to data like the bands that the phone is using.

However, there is a built in hidden field test mode that shows you data including the band.

You open the phone app, dial *3001#12345#* and press the dial button.

(I think that will also work on some Android phones)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Mar-19 15:24:34
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Thanks for that smile.

That number just gave me "Number not recognised". So I googled "Field test mode for Android" and found this informative site covering Apple and Android. Interesting what it says about LTE though.

As it says, there is a bit of info in "About", which I already knew, but it doesn't reveal the band. Just the carrier, "G"-level and the signal (negative) dB.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Mar-19 18:57:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That number just gave me "Number not recognised". So I googled "Field test mode for Android" and found this informative site covering Apple and Android. Interesting what it says about LTE though.

Note that site is in the US where they (incorrectly) call HSPA+ by the term "4G" so then had to call their real 4G networks by the technology used (LTE). They're doing this with 5G now calling high speed 4G "5Ge" on at least one network. The US likes to screw up the terminology.

As it says, there is a bit of info in "About", which I already knew, but it doesn't reveal the band. Just the carrier, "G"-level and the signal (negative) dB.

It *really* depends on the exact model and firmware version of Android phones. This is a mine field. Most networks with a suitable phone will do something called "carrier aggregation" where bands are joined together. However the handset has to support this. With apple devices the iPhone SE and iPhone 6 did NOT support this. The newer ones (6s, 7 and later) all DO support.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to