General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-19 19:03:02
Print Post

Re: Access to 800MHz with Three SIM Only

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

On my Ai cube from Three it says i'm getting 4g+. Doing a google search shows theoretical speeds of 300mbps on 4g+, though i get 100mbps on good days. 60 on a "bad" day. So, it may be very possible for you to get higher speeds if your're maxing the current hardware you have.

Unless Huawei have a different definitions for 4g+ than the standard that's used.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Apr-19 19:20:55
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

4G+ is an interesting moniker! I think it is one they have invented.

See if you can makes sense of this article.

What it is saying in essence that there are two different "protocols" called 4G. LTE and true 4G, but most UK providers call LTE 4G these days.

The 4G advertised by the networks here are in fact LTE. EE sell double speed 4G, which I used to have, but this seems to be the multi-channel stuff that is described as LTE Plus in the article

4G+ I imagine is that as well.

As far as I know Three only sell LTE. My car system calls it that. The identical SIM in my Huawei P20 Lite calls it 4G.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Apr-19 19:21:38)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-19 19:35:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interesting read!

Though, readingthis article, 4g+ on Three is something called "carrier aggregation" which from the article you linked is LTE-A. So, theoretically, i could get 300mbps?

I'm confused laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Apr-19 20:29:15
Print Post

my Huawei P20 Lite calls it 4G.

Be careful who you call and what you say Bob, and donít forget your tin foil hat wink

Standard User toe
(learned) Tue 09-Apr-19 20:52:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

4G+ showing on my phone with carrier aggregation and LTE high speed mode lit up.

Just seemed strange to do 3 speed tests on different days to get exactly 118mbps
max on all 3 tests (not 118 point something)

Phone is a Huawei mate 10,

Cant complain for sure as I'm half way up a mountain in rural Wales with a mast 1500 meters away.

Thanks for the info/replies
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Apr-19 20:53:07
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

That's why I said "See if you can makes sense of Ö."

I've just found this article which looks very relevant to you!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Apr-19 20:55:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
4G+ is an interesting moniker! I think it is one they have invented

Not at all the case. Depending on phone or device with 4G+ you get carrier aggregation also known as channel bonding.

Three has 5mhz at 800, 15mhz at 1800 and 10mhz at 2100. If you have a 3CA handset that can give you 30mhz of spectrum.

Contrast with EE whom can do 5mhz at 800, 20mhz at 1800 AND 15mhz at 1800, then 20mhz at 2600 and another 15mhz at 2600.

You can see how EE can provide higher speeds that Three in total anywhere in the UK.

The only country to use 4G symbol on phones and not mean LTE is the USA. they are doing similar with 5G and it is unhelpful.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Apr-19 20:57:48
Print Post

[re: toe] [link to this post]

Total speed depends on capacity deployed on the specific mast and other users in that area. Also depends on your handsets capability - how many bands your device can aggregate.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to