General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 26-Mar-19 16:01:02
Print Post

Access to 800MHz with Three SIM Only

[link to this post]

Thinking of getting a Three "unlimited" SIM Card to install in a Mikrotik LHG-LTE antenna for a rural friend to get internet access.

In his area,m the 1800MHZ signal is basically non-existent, but the 800MHz is great.

three's website say that phones will only be on this band if they support VoLTE, which makes sense, but how does this apply to routers. Obviously with no Voice component, VoLTE is irrelevant, but I have a sneaking suspicion that 800MHz still wont be accessible
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Tue 26-Mar-19 16:56:45
Print Post

Re: Access to 800MHz with Three SIM Only

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Iíve connected to Three on 800 MHz using a Miktotik router. Data worked as did SMS.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sun 31-Mar-19 12:14:21
Print Post

I use a Mikrotik SXT LTE kit with Three on 800MHz, and it works fine. I expect the LHG would work fine too - I have a fairly good strength signal, so the SXT gives full quality. The LHG should do the same with a weaker signal with it being higher gain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jake4
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-19 14:55:25
Print Post

with the 800mhz frequency your not going to get that good of a speed since it's meant for further distances. If you're just going to use this for band 20 (800mhz) then you should expect a max of 8mbps down 8mbps up depending on your distance.

I have a Mikrotik SXT LTE and can pull 70mbps~ down 35mbps~ up without line of sight (but pointed towards the tower) with the antenna outside from a mast that's 1.8miles away.

If you can't get a line of sight to the mast then the LHG is pointless because it has a small antenna beam width (25°) compared to the SXT that has a beam width of 60°.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 03-Apr-19 09:31:31
Print Post

[re: Jake4] [link to this post]

I only have band 20 (5Mhz bandwidth at 800MHz) available, and I can get 28Mbps down and 7Mbps up. That's using a SXT LTE with line of sight and distance of about a mile.
Standard User gary333
(learned) Wed 03-Apr-19 09:46:19
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

I took out the 3 unlimited sim and found it also only connected to band 20. I saw wild variations in speed however median was around 14mbps. Low of 4-5mbps and high of 25mbps. I cancelled within the first 14 days without charge.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 03-Apr-19 10:56:42
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Which bands are available will vary depending on your location, and isn't limited by the SIM itself. My local tower only has band 20, but I'm happy with the bandwidth I get as it is much better than ADSL.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Apr-19 18:50:31
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
I only have band 20 (5Mhz bandwidth at 800MHz) available, and I can get 28Mbps down and 7Mbps up. That's using a SXT LTE with line of sight and distance of about a mile.

With those speeds you are close to the maximum of 5mhz of LTE, so you are probably the only person on the cell site!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Apr-19 22:56:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

See my sig, on Band 20. About a mile from the mast, and it's a Phone SIM in my phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 03-Apr-19 22:57:42)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Apr-19 00:04:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I suspect your phone is picking up Band 1 or Band 3 as well. Depending on handset and firmware you may be blocked from band 20 unless volte supported. In any suburban area the primary band for LTE on Three is band 3, with 15mhz. Additional band 1 at 10mhz. Then band 20 (5mhz) is for super indoor penetration and very rural coverage. Intent is volte voice calls and data on WiFi from fixed line broadband.

I forget your handset and firmware info but when making a call does it drop from 4G to H, H+ or 3G logos ?

A simple LTE performance calculator is here
http://anisimoff.org/eng/lte_throughput_calculator.html

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to