General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 16:12:51
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Interesting, I asked my friend (who has one) and was told they are on 11.236.01.00.1217 which I would have thought is newer than yours but maybe their versioning isn't done the traditional way.

Well, I suspect two things: a) your friends firmware version probably is newer (my B525 is 18months old) but Huawei probably have a chaotic version control system across different regions/languages & that confuses everything b) Livewire probably have no idea if there is a newer firmware and they don't care providing they can ship more units.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 18-Dec-19 16:24:03
Print Post

[re: smithbill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smithbill:
my B525 is 18months old
I don't believe his is much younger, I think I recall him saying he bought it around the summer of 2018 and the firmware and UI versions haven't changed since his had it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Dec-19 17:24:29
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

My B311 has an "Check for update" in its "Advanced" tab. I would expect the 525 also does. Though something I saw google come up with for other kit suggests Auto-update is always on in later firmwares of some kit. On mine it is optional.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Dec-19 17:32:52
Print Post

I've just found this on the Huawei Community support forum.
For assistance needed regarding Mobile Broadband, Mobile phone or Home devices, we advise you to check the Huawei support website for consumer, which also contains direct hotline phone numbers where you can contact our colleagues from the Consumer Business Group, which are able to help you solve your issues: http://consumer.huawei.com/en/contact-us/index.htm?t...

If the information that you are seeking cannot be found there or if the country where you are currently located is not included on our website, please contact our colleagues by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
Not sure it will be any use, but who knows?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 18-Dec-19 17:35:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My B311 has an "Check for update" in its "Advanced" tab. I would expect the 525 also does. Though something I saw google come up with for other kit suggests Auto-update is always on in later firmwares of some kit. On mine it is optional.
The B525 has a button like yours, it also has an option under system settings to automatically check and update (in the middle of the night) this may be firmware specific though.

Edited by dect (Wed 18-Dec-19 17:35:50)

Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:34:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the links to Huawei Support. I have tried them in the past and, I'm sorry to stay, they are as useful as a hole-in-the-head, chocolate-teapot etc. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Standard User kommando
(learned) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:44:40
Print Post

The Firmware is odd on the B525 and probably for most Huawei routers, I have never seen mine updated despite owning it for a year and clicking on update, I do not have auto update ticked. It seems if your router is unlocked you have to force an update using firmware on a PC and opening up the B525 to short 2 pins so it goes into USB update mode which then can be loaded from the PC.

Mine is at 11.232.05.00.778 but its got some odd numbering so you cannot assume a bigger number on the end means a later version.

This is for the B593, the B525 is just as complicated

https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/198-B593-firmwar...

This may be more useful, or less

https://app.box.com/s/0uim7fp7j4dzet2bpmhp

Edited by kommando (Wed 18-Dec-19 18:47:10)

Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Thu 19-Dec-19 13:43:53
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

I tried a hard reset of my B525 using the pinhole on the back of the unit. Unfortunately this seems to have had no effect on the connection and it remains stubbornly on 4G/LTE.

I even tried using the web config page to do a Local Update using the firmware .bin file included at the start of this thread. It went through the process & finished with 'Update Failed'. I also tried the same using a B525 firmware .bin file I found via Google. That too failed (but at least my B525 didn't screw up, it just stayed on its existing firmware).

I used Android app huaCtrl to connect to my B525. See image here:
https://pasteboard.co/ILYEl6t.png

Simultaneously I used another Android phone with huaCtrl to connect to my B535. See image here:
https://pasteboard.co/ILYDOEB.jpg

As you can see in the top-right of the images, the B535 connects at LTE+ whereas the B525 only connects at LTE speed. Both routers are connected to the same Cell ID and on the same Band B3-1800MHz. As best I can understand, both devices are showing pretty decent signal levels on internal antenna (I tried the B525 on external antenna but it made no difference).

So, I'm convinced the problem has to be the B525 firmware 11.189.61.00.1217 unless anyone has any other ideas (supplier Livewire weren't interested in providing any support whatsoever!)

Edited by smithbill (Thu 19-Dec-19 13:45:39)

Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 19-Dec-19 16:23:49
Print Post

It might be worth asking LiveWire for the version of firmware I am using which is 11.189.63.00.1217 - device purchase = July 2019. Although for all we know the 61 > 63 could just be down to network lock or region setting or similar.

Can you borrow a sim card from any friends or family and try another network and see if the same thing happens?

Also, as you have two devices, have you tried swapping the sims between them - or is that what you are doing to test as is?

Edited by gary333 (Thu 19-Dec-19 16:24:17)

Standard User hoopla
(member) Thu 19-Dec-19 16:48:17
Print Post

My 525 has version 11.182.61.00.778 and does go to LTE+ but only for a while when there is a lot being downloaded. It switches back to 4G immediately after.
Mostly it sits on 4G unless there is a mobile call in progress, when it drops back to 3G.
It seems happy enough to sit on Band 3 most of the time, but sometimes switches to Band 20, which is much slower, so I've disabled that band in the settings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to