General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Dec-19 18:19:28
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: smithbill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smithbill:
This is interesting! Is there a simple list somewhere specifying which bands are best (most capacity) on different UK networks?

not really. This 2016 diagram might help:
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png
Then you have to take into account the spectrum auction in 2018:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/2018-...
And then Ofcom allowed the networks to run anything (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G) on ANY spectrum they have license for.

So I threw together this page, which might help:
https://www.redsplace.co.uk/mobile/

And there is another spectrum auction due in 2020 for the 700 MHz band and maybe some mmWave spectrum (above 10 GHz) which will be called the 5G (NR) auction, but some of the spectrum could be used for 4G (LTE).

VirginMedia Cable M200 22/nov/19
7 years of FTTC VDSL BT then plusnet with sync from 55/12 to 46/5
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 20-Dec-19 18:20:32)

Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 20-Dec-19 18:20:08
Print Post

[re: orangetrees] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orangetrees:
Hello

With the B525 is it possible to use it for the inclusive SIM minutes AND receive VOIP calls through the same telephone port ?

Thanks

The technical manual doesnít make it clear, however I am pretty sure from reading posts on other forums that itís one or the other.

Extract from manual suggests itís OR rather than AND.

ďCompatibility with RJ11 telephone ports; can be set to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) voice mode or Circuit Switch (CS) voice mode
Standard User orangetrees
(newbie) Fri 20-Dec-19 19:04:27
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Thankyou Gary

I really wanted to avoid having a glut of power supplies for 2x handsets, VOIP ATA etc

Do you know if something like a Siemens C530 IP would handle both the VOIP and SIM 3 UK calls ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Sat 21-Dec-19 17:57:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
So I threw together this page, which might help:
https://www.redsplace.co.uk/mobile/

What a brilliant guide! Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I've learnt quite a lot from it, and I've also realised that the Three network may not have been the best choice in terms of available download bandwidth.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Dec-19 18:03:04
Print Post

[re: smithbill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smithbill:
What a brilliant guide! Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I've learnt quite a lot from it, and I've also realised that the Three network may not have been the best choice in terms of available download bandwidth.

But it might have coverage where you are, and less load.

Also have to think how many people are using each network. You can often get figures from company annual reports. Less people on less bandwidth is still good speeds.

A while back customer numbers were:
Three = 10 million
Vodafone = 15 or 18 million
O2 = 25 million
EE = 29 million (since Orange & T-Mobile merger)

Things might have changed, I havenít kept up.

Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 21-Dec-19 23:16:36
Print Post

In theory less customers is better, but as we know Three customers are data hogs and use over 3.5 times more data per subscriber than the UK average .
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Dec-19 00:03:25
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Which is probably vitally important if you happen to be in an area with high Three customer density. Less of an issue for rural folk.

Now all the networks have unlimited offerings this may even out.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 22-Dec-19 12:43:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Less of an issue for rural folk.
Would have thought Vodafone or O2 would have been better in rural locations because of having more 800Mhz bandwidth.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Dec-19 12:49:38
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Would have thought Vodafone or O2 would have been better in rural locations because of having more 800Mhz bandwidth.

Yes, but in actuality it depends on line of sight to the mast, foliage between you and mast, and quality of signal (e.g. interference).

So you can find people whom get better performance from 5 MHz of Three or EE in a different direction, to 10 MHz of Voda/O2.

The game changes completely when you add in ANY other band, sometimes possible with external antenna.

Plus the backhaul question, some elderly masts on all networks can have poor backhaul, still awaiting upgrade, getting overloaded before the radio spectrum is.

As commented elsewhere..... Comms is Hard smile

Standard User frooty
(newbie) Sun 22-Dec-19 16:33:38
Print Post

Hello everyone!

Found this thread by searching the webz as I've recently purchased A B525 from amazon uk & was after some info & this thread has proven to be a huge help in setting up my new network & getting the fastest speeds from it - many thanks to everyone who has posted info here, it's very much appreciated.
I live in rural wales & have been stuck with super slow & expensive broadband for the last 6 years ( 3mb down, 1mb up on a good day & weather permitting!) as I had no 4G signal until a few weeks ago when it suddenly started showing on my mobile - I guess the comms mast was upgraded. After searching around I went for the B525 from amazon uk with a SIM card from Three for only £18 p/m with unlimited everything with intentions of dumping my useless & unreliable broadband & phone line completely if all worked out well. I didn't want to stop using my Asus AC86U for routing so it was important that the B525 could be used in bridge mode, as well as incoming & outgoing calls.
When the B525 arrived I connected it up in normal DHCP mode without the Asus router for testing & was amazed to find that I was suddenly getting ~80mb download speeds - praise the cyber gods! However, I couldn't for the life of me get the phone to receive incoming calls (as others have reported here) & my speeds would suddenly drop down to ~20mb without explanation - so after searching the web I found this thread which has shed light on my issues.
I was completely unaware of different bands = different speeds as well as being able to control which band my B525 connected to until I found this thread & after a little more investigation & testing I was able to "lock on" to band 3 1800 by using the huaCtrl app mentioned in this thread, which has kept my speed at a constant(ish) 80mb, but I was still unable to fix the incoming calls issue.
Happy with my speeds now, I connected my Asus AC86 to the B525 & set the B525 to bridged mode, waited a few minutes for everything to "warm up" then tried the call function again - hey presto - I could receive calls! So, it seems that the calls function only works fully when the B525 is in bridged mode.
So, I'm super happy now & have cancelled my expensive & draconian phone line & broadband & am using my B525 for both my internet & home phone. I have also connected an outdoor antenna from amazon uk which has boosted my signal to full (5 bars) as well as my speed which is now up to ~120mb down & 20mb up!
I travel a lot & am sometimes away for months at a time, so the beauty of this system is that instead of paying for a phone line & broadband internet that I'm not using while away I can simply switch everything off, remove the Three SIM from the router & slot it into my dual SIM mobile & I have free, unlimited internet anywhere I go as well as having my home phone on my mobile - perfect!
Once again, thank you to everyone who posted info on this thread, I would never have known how to set this system up otherwise.

Merry xmas to you, if that's you're thing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to