General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kommando
(regular) Tue 17-Mar-20 14:00:33
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: henrix343] [link to this post]

The firmware either has or does not have Bridge mode in it, Huawei firmware versions are a dark art, on the B525 and B715 you have to open up the router and connect 2 pins to allow the firmware to be changed via a usb cable connected to a PC with the right drivers. The B535 is probably the same, if you change firmware you may brick the device or lose features you need like VOIP.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 12:02:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by henrix343:
Pfff I have got this HUAWEI B535-232 nad there is no BRIDGE mode. Is there any soft I can install to activate bridge mode?
There is firmware that will allow you to switch bridge mode on. However, it doesn't work even if you do. Believe me, I've tried! I reckon Huawei removed Bridge Mode because they couldn't make it work either.
Don't waste your time. Simply put another router behind it in a DMZ - that should work OK.
By the way, if you do flash the firmware to try bridge mode, there seemed to be no way back.
But no longer.
For reasons that I fail to understand, last night my B525 updated its firmware, all on its own.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 12:09:27
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
The decision to aggregate is done by the mobile network (aka BTS) not the Huawei B525 routers configuration. Even if you lock a Huawei B525 to just band 20 it will still aggregate with other bands if the mobile network tells it too.

There in nothing in the Huawei B525 configuration that can be changed (locally or via an app) to stop or allow aggregation that is the important thing for everyone to know.
I flashed the firmware in my B525 to a version that allowed me to switch on Bridge Mode.
Bridge Mode didn't work anyway, but the same firmware version allowed me to choose which bands to use.
If I chose B3 or B20 alone, I never got CA. If I switched both B3 and B20 on, I did get CA.
So I can only assume that your assertion only applies to some versions of the firmware.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 13:28:02
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
In reply to a post by dect:
The decision to aggregate is done by the mobile network (aka BTS) not the Huawei B525 routers configuration. Even if you lock a Huawei B525 to just band 20 it will still aggregate with other bands if the mobile network tells it too.

There in nothing in the Huawei B525 configuration that can be changed (locally or via an app) to stop or allow aggregation that is the important thing for everyone to know.
I flashed the firmware in my B525 to a version that allowed me to switch on Bridge Mode.
Bridge Mode didn't work anyway, but the same firmware version allowed me to choose which bands to use.
If I chose B3 or B20 alone, I never got CA. If I switched both B3 and B20 on, I did get CA.
So I can only assume that your assertion only applies to some versions of the firmware.

Bridge mode works on my b525, however it came enabled when purchased. It doesn’t have the option for band selection though on the firmware I have.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 13:33:55
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Bridge mode works on my b525, however it came enabled when purchased. It doesn’t have the option for band selection though on the firmware I have.
That's interesting. Which firmware version do you have?
If you want to be able to select bands, you can do it with LTE Watch, which you can download from https://www.lte-anbieter.info/ltewatch/huawei.php
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 17:26:02
Print Post

My device came with Software version: 11.189.63.00.1217

I can change bands using a program to do so, but not in router settings page.
Standard User henrix343
(newbie) Sat 21-Mar-20 21:17:47
Print Post

@hoopla so you want to tell me that there is no DEFAULT huawei software for this router? Only the brands ones?

The ISP (or mobile operators in this case) are modding the soft from something. I thought it was the default soft...

I need the BRIDGE mode because it is so much simpler - for example WOL, VPN (on MY router - ISP does not "control" it), local network settings I can just paste, and so on.

"By the way, if you do flash the firmware to try bridge mode, there seemed to be no way back." wow that is... strange by any means. In a 21th century there is a soft you can't roll(back)over to previous version... or set up a default one. I don't want anything from huawei then.

Did somebody try some kind of dd-wrt/tomato/gargoyle on this? Did you updated version has a BRIDGE mode?
Standard User henrix343
(newbie) Mon 23-Mar-20 17:52:03
Print Post

@kommando hmm when I compare the hardware they looks almost identical... so maybe I try to use b525 soft...

"you have to open up the router and connect 2 pins to allow the firmware to be changed via a usb cable connected to a PC with the right drivers." could you send a pic with those 2 pins? Can you link the drivers and a soft that has a bridge? I have read that you need a USB type A - but I think I can make one my self. Thanks.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 21:26:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by henrix343:
@hoopla so you want to tell me that there is no DEFAULT huawei software for this router? Only the brands ones?

"By the way, if you do flash the firmware to try bridge mode, there seemed to be no way back." wow that is... strange by any means. In a 21th century there is a soft you can't roll(back)over to previous version... or set up a default one. I don't want anything from huawei then.

Did somebody try some kind of dd-wrt/tomato/gargoyle on this? Did you updated version has a BRIDGE mode?
I have no idea whether the original firmware was a branded one. There was no branding visible, so I assume it wasn't, but how could I tell? It was what it was. And although it was advertised as having Bridge Mode, it hadn't.

I downloaded some different firmware and installed it.

No messing with shorting buttons: it had a button that let me select the new local firmware file, and a button to fire up the update. But no way to save the existing firmware or make a backup copy of it.

After the update, there was Bridge Mode in the menu. All fine, apart from the fact that it didn't work.

I could still have installed the original firmware, if I had any way to get a copy, but although I found loads of different versions of the firmware, none were the version I had before, and the only ones that seemed like any improvement refused to load.

So I decided to stick with what I had, until a few days ago, when it decided to update itself in the middle of the night.

I still have a Local Update button, so I could probably revert to the firmware I had, but this one has a nicer UI and it seems to work no worse than the last.

Although I can no longer choose the channels using the router UI, I can use LTEWatch or huaCtrl to do that.

I can't see why you can't just put the other router into a DMZ. That would work much the same as Bridge Mode, wouldn't it? What am I missing?
Standard User henrix343
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 01:17:47
Print Post

@hoopla oh I see, thanks for description, so this is perfectly normal firmware update not some ROM writing or data checking buffors, you just cant do a firmware (original) backup, but you can (if it will be available) flash it back. It's clear now.

"Although I can no longer choose the channels using the router UI, I can use LTEWatch or huaCtrl to do that." it's good to know. I think we can live with it smile

"I can't see why you can't just put the other router into a DMZ. That would work much the same as Bridge Mode, wouldn't it? What am I missing? " there is difference when you put router as a bridge or EXPOSE it (DMZ). This work differently, a second router in DMZ actually leads to double NAT (hello DDNS or VPN for example) and "is not the proper way to do things" besides configuring everythin on one device is easy, DMZ in some case are dangerous (some protocols simply do not works in this scenario). But I will consider it, if I cant set up an bridge (which is ->HILARIOUS<-).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to