General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-19 19:53:54
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Is the B525 still a viable piece of kit to go for? I bought the Zyxel LTE3302 but I'm not too impressed with some of the functionality so considering exchanging for this.

Also does anyone know the difference between the B525 and B525s.

I ask in this thread as I have no hesitation in flashing this firmware to enable additional functionality (once I ensure that everything is working and I am happy of course)
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:26:45
Print Post

[re: Adam86] [link to this post]

All B525 are actually B525S smile. There are two versions suitable for UK. The standard UK model: B525s-23a and the Europe model which is the B525s-65a.

The 65a has more bands however the 23a covers I believe all current 4G bands so the 65a in lieu of 5G is no longer required.

The B525 I got from Amazon / Livewire has bridge mode by default.
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:30:02
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
All B525 are actually B525S smile. There are two versions suitable for UK. The standard UK model: B525s-23a and the Europe model which is the B525s-65a.

The 65a has more bands however the 23a covers I believe all current 4G bands so the 65a in lieu of 5G is no longer required.

The B525 I got from Amazon / Livewire has bridge mode by default.

Your reply is most helpful smile

Is this the unit you bought from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-unlocked-networks-Ge...

I can see this is sold by Livewire, bridge mode would be an important factor for me. Does yours also have the ability to switch bands in the Web GUI then or just bridge mode functionality?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:39:03
Print Post

[re: Adam86] [link to this post]

Livewire are the UK official Huawei distributor. If any issues they can send you the firmware to enable bridge mode, but yes by default the unlocked devices like you have linked should be firmware: 11.189.63.00.1217.

The linked one is the one I got. Seem to have gone up in price.

Unfortunately this firmware does not support band selection only 2G/3G/4G or auto. Bands can be modified though using bc LTEinspectuer and is maintained upon turning device off or rebooting.

Bear in mind you can get a B535 from three on a one month contract for less than b525. Unsure what options the B535 has or lacks over the B525
Standard User nehuawei
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-19 21:33:14
Print Post

I'm so glad I found this thread - I was beginning to think there was no one out there who found a way to change the firmware on a B525!

How many of you guys have actually gone ahead and changed the firmware? I'm currently running an unlimited Three sim in a set up for my retired parents. I'd read that I could make/receive calls with a dect phone and B525 but it turns out I can't, but at least with a tweak of the firmware, I should be able to get around it. I'm running Hardware version
WL1B520FM
Software Version
Web UI Version

I'm struggling to find a decent firmware repository, I'd like to get a copy of the firmware that it's currently running so I have the option to roll it back if things don't work out - any suggestions?

OP, with this update will that allow me to unblock the RJ11 port?
Standard User buggerlugs
(newbie) Sun 27-Oct-19 13:18:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As someone on the LTEInspecteur page stated....

"I spent the zip (without decompressing) in analysis online via Virustotal ( https://www.virustotal.com/fr/ ) and a smallpox is detected = W32.malware.gen"

So allowing this to control bands on ones router may be, just may be a touch dangerous. You have absolutely no idea what this program is doing in the background.
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Fri 15-Nov-19 14:56:20
Print Post

[re: nehuawei] [link to this post]

I did it on mine just a few days after receiving the kit.

It was very easy and probably took no more than 30 minutes, just used a flat screwdriver to bridge the points to enable the usb firmware mode.

Now can easily change between the frequencies etc.
Standard User Choo525
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-19 14:34:45
Print Post

[re: DualingAunts] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DualingAunts:
I now find that I'm unable to fully use the phone function - I've plugged my old land-line in and can receive calls to it, but not make them. After some looking around online I get the impression that there are some VoLTE settings which are disabled in my firmware, so I'm looking to unlock them and I wondered if this firmware would do the trick.

Hi,
I also have a 525 branded three.ie. I find that as long there is a good 3G signal I can use the telephone. The settings must be on automatic but you can use the LTE inspecteur to select the bands you wish to use to get the best results. It does not always return to these bands when the call terminates. Sometimes you'll have to reset to your chosen settings.
I use mine in two different areas, one there is no coverage 3G or 4G going by the coverage map (right in the middle of a not spot) but get up 60mbps 4G+ (CA) down with 3 or smarty when using LTE inspecteur, sometimes the unit does select the best bands but mostly I have to force it.
I have to manually select 3G to attempt a telephone call as letting the unit do its stuff mostly does not work. Sometimes it does not work at all due to the lack of a 3G signal.
In the second area I use the 525 I get slightly better signals both on 3G and 4G (good coverage on the maps) and the telephone can be used without any manual selection of 3G, again for best results using LTE inspecteur to manage the bands - or the Polish app. In this area I do not get as high download speeds and no 4G+ has ever been noticed. Higher density of population and CA/4G+ not enabled perhaps.

Hope this helps a bit for users of the "Irish "Three 525.
Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Mon 16-Dec-19 14:12:22
Print Post

Hello,

I purchased a B525s-23a from Livewire about 18months ago and I requested that the device have a version of firmware that supported Bridge Mode. The firmware in my B525 is:
Software version: 11.189.61.00.1217
Web UI version: 21.100.44.00.03

I've now recently acquired a B535-232 from Three and noticed that the B535 connects to their network at LTE+ speed, but the B525 (in the same position as the B535 and with an identical Three SIM) only connects at LTE speed.

The B525s-23a does support LTE+ doesn't it?? Is the fact mine will only connect at LTE speed likely to be due to the older firmware? If I were to flash the firmware discussed in this thread, could I expect my B525 to connect to the Three network at LTE+ speed (i'm not bothered about 'Bridge Mode' any more).

Regards
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 16-Dec-19 15:53:45
Print Post

[re: smithbill] [link to this post]

Hi,

I have this firmware version on my B525

Software version: 11.189.63.00.1217
Web UI version: 21.100.44.00.03

I would advise you factory reset the B525 and see if this brings it back to life. Also to note, the B525 (at least for me) doesn't always connect to 4G+ straight away. This is because a band 20 mast is much closer and has higher signal strength for me. If I disconnect the network using the Huawei router front page and leave off for 20-30 secs, then turn back on this usually kicks 4G+ in to life (i.e. the router locks on to a less powerful signal band 3).

The band steering on the B525 seems quick poor / slow to react. I've always found the above disconnecting and reconnecting works for me (in my location). If left to it's own devices this can take hours for it to work out there is 4G+ available.

I would also recommend you check the cell ID is the same on both devices. If it's different you are probably hooking on to band 20 on the B525. The B535 might just be better at picking up network details and switching 4G+ much quicker.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to