General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-19 19:56:26
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

+100

VirginMedia Cable M200 22/nov/19
7 years of FTTC VDSL BT then plusnet with sync from 55/12 to 46/5
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 17-Dec-19 22:06:58
Print Post

[re: smithbill] [link to this post]

I can typically force CA by
1 Clicking the signal strength bars on the router homepage
2 Clicking the "mobile network searching" tab
3 "Preferred network mode" 4G
4 "Network search mode" manual
5 Save and select 3 4G

Once you do that, go back to router page and repeat step 1.

6 Once you're back to that page hit save, wait till the list of providers come up and click cancel, don't click 3 4G. Go back to router homepage to see if "4G+" is enabled. Works for me every time, but then again, i have a b900

Edit.

To add. You don't have to do steps 2 to 5 every time, if this happens to work for you, that is. If the router is restarted, simply repeat steps 1 and 6.

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 17-Dec-19 22:09:25)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 17-Dec-19 23:16:41
Print Post

Strange that one of your Huawei routers is doing 4G+ and the other one isn't

The B525s-23a does support 4G+ and lots of members here have reported that it works for them on the Three network so its strange that it isn't working for you.

If it was me I would figure out what bands are actually available locally and their signal strength (e.g. by using an app to step through each band, on both routers).

Does anyone know if the 'Inter bands' combinations specified by the manufacturer are the same for these two devices.

Edited by dect (Tue 17-Dec-19 23:17:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Dec-19 00:13:32
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

He did mention 90cm between the two routers on the window ledge. That could well cause a difference.

I didn’t comment on that earlier as he had already said the speed was down in the same place, but I wonder if he is counting the same window ledge as “same place”.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 05:58:01
Print Post

Thanks for all the help & advice everyone has given - unfortunately I'm still not able to get the B525 to connect at 4G+ but my B535 connects to the same Cell ID at 4G+ everytime.

I tried following the instructions to disconnect from the network, select the network manually & reconnect (the web config pages/buttons on the B525 are different to the B900 router, but I got the idea). Unfortunately, every time I select the 3 4G network and connect the network from the router home page, it just reconnects at 4G speed).

Both my B535 (connects at 4G+) and B525 (only connects at 4G} are sat on the same window ledge approx 90cm apart from each other, both using internal antennas & with direct line-of-sight to the Three mast (approx. 100metres away). I have wondered if there could be 'interference' between them but moving the B525 to a different location in the house makes no difference except to weaken the signal between B525 & mast.

In the 18months I've had it, I've never seen my B525 connect at 4G+ speed. I had assumed this was either because the B525 doesn't support it or the Three network or my local mast didn't support it. It's only by buying the B535 I've realised that the network/mast does support it. And only through this forum that I've learnt that the B525 ought to support it.

I'm convinced the issue is the firmware that Livewire (modem.co.uk) flashed it with when I bought it from them 18months ago & requested firmware that supports Bridge Mode (which I don't use now). I have emailed Livewire several days ago for some answers or new firmware, but their support people seem to be useless & haven't bothered to reply (the sales guy is helpful & replies, so I'll have to ask him to goad the support team into a response).

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a total hard reset of the B525. If I get no response from Livewire, that's what I'll try next. If that doesn't work, I'll try the firmware update posted at the start of this thread.

Edited by smithbill (Wed 18-Dec-19 05:59:29)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Dec-19 08:56:21
Print Post

I don't know the routers but could it just be that one has a better antenna setup than the other and so gets a stronger signal?
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 18-Dec-19 09:30:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by smithbill:
I'm convinced the issue is the firmware that Livewire (modem.co.uk) flashed it with
I'm not convinced but if you are going to update the firmware I strongly suggest you get the latest official version rather than some hacked version that could cause you other issues.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Dec-19 11:57:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He did mention 90cm between the two routers on the window ledge. That could well cause a difference.

worth looking up the concept of multi-pathing on radio communications. Especially at GHz frequencies.

VirginMedia Cable M200 22/nov/19
7 years of FTTC VDSL BT then plusnet with sync from 55/12 to 46/5
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User smithbill
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 15:31:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well, I contacted Livewire (modem.co.uk) from whom I bought the B525. Their Support people didn't even bother to respond and the sales manager although polite, offered no solution other than to say there is no firmware update beyond 11.189.61.00.1217 (which is what is in my B525) and that Livewire just get the routers in from Huawei and ship them out unaltered (so I'm not sure what value Livewire add other than to have a UK shipping address!). I won't be purchasing anything from Livewire again and I don't recommend you do if you want any support in the future.

So, I'll try doing a hard reset on the B525 and see what happens.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 18-Dec-19 15:41:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by smithbill:
there is no firmware update beyond 11.189.61.00.1217 .

So, I'll try doing a hard reset on the B525 and see what happens.
Interesting, I asked my friend (who has one) and was told they are on 11.236.01.00.1217 which I would have thought is newer than yours but maybe their versioning isn't done the traditional way.

Edited by dect (Wed 18-Dec-19 15:57:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to