General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Sat 13-Apr-19 14:42:59
Print Post

Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and more.

[link to this post]

HUKD persuaded me to go with the 3 MBB, and this place persuaded me to get the B525 - so here's my go at giving something back... This doesn't depend on you using 3 - but I guess it's the current favourite given the price point.

Finally got around to "packing" something together to enable bridge mode + a lot more extra firmware options (such as selectively choosing what bands to use - I've actively disabled band 20 due to the speed decrease if it swaps to it).
My current setup uses this, teamed with a Virgin 350Mb connection. There's a slight overall speed increase, but it's the failover aspect which I was interested in and it works brilliantly.

This is only for the B525-23a. This model can be had cheaper and gives you all the bands in use in Europe.
Honestly, now that 5G is in full swing there is no benefit to the -65a in the UK/Europe as no new 4G bands are going to be certified. This firmware gives an awful lot more to the interface too, not just Bridge mode.

The big thing if you're doing this is you will need a USB-A to USB-A cable. This is a completely non-standard cable and doesn't conform to USB specifications. Fortunately, these cables are available from China or you can make one yourself. It's just how you access the firmware mode of the Huawei kit.

Firmware pack is here: mega.nz
All the info is in the readme file. Make sure you extract the full archive before running the commands.
Standard User mathew2
(member) Sat 11-May-19 17:48:14
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m

[re: biohead] [link to this post]

Came across your post as I'm looking in to ways to lock mine to a band. If it switches I get a stronger signal but much lower speeds due to the network not having carrier aggregation on the band. My method up to now has just been rebooting it everyday as it seems to go on to the band I want most times after a reboot! Bit of a PITA. Is the cable really necessary as there is a local update option on the admin page? See http://192.168.8.1/html/update_local.html

Thank you.

PS just been testing HManager and this seems to work for hopping between band 3 and 20. I don't know if it keeps it on 3 or if I'll have to use it every day or so when it hops on to band 20. Band 20 lucky if I get 10Mbps down, band 3 is 70+!

http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51231

Edited by mathew2 (Sat 11-May-19 17:53:52)

Standard User barker04
(member) Sun 12-May-19 13:11:12
Print Post

[re: mathew2] [link to this post]

Was looking at buying the B525 - in the hope it would simply do carrier aggregation where possible or choose fastest band by default. Is this not the case then ? Or possible to setup without using a 3rd party app?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mathew2
(member) Mon 13-May-19 10:33:01
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

After using HManager to put mine on band 3 it has stayed there all weekend so suspect it will stay on that band until rebooted. Good enough for me though it would be better if this was doable in the router's web interface without opening the casing and voiding the warranty!

The router doesn't know which is fastest I don't think so can hop onto a stronger signal that's slower. For me it's over 50% success for it dwelling on the faster band after a reboot; don't know why it does this.

To fix this it'd have to connect to and run a speedtest on all available bands in sequence before dwelling on a band (the CA band could be slower if congested I suppose so default looking for CA might not fix it).
Standard User barker04
(member) Mon 13-May-19 21:57:42
Print Post

[re: mathew2] [link to this post]

I thought three did CA across all bands so therefore by default it would be fastest if it could do CA ?
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Sun 19-May-19 10:50:34
Print Post

The B525 and 3 does support CA. However, 3 haven't rolled it out to all areas yet.

To flash this firmware, you will need that USB cable as the firmware will not be accepted by the router built-in upgrade feature.
Standard User barker04
(member) Sun 19-May-19 14:47:56
Print Post

Oh so by default the b525 wont do CA in three without a firmware upgade?
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Mon 20-May-19 07:52:52
Print Post

Sorry, I might have explained that poorly.

The B525 will do CA with 3 out of the box - as long as it's talking to 3 masts that also support CA.

The firmware lets you lock to specific bands - in my case I don't get CA from my masts and it has a tenancy to drift to B20. This lets me lock it to B3.
Standard User DualingAunts
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 13:30:19
Print Post

Hi,

I've read this thread with interest as I have a B525s-23a, which I purchased as an open box product. It's branded three.ie and I believe that there are settings restrictions in the admin pages that I'd like to unlock.

The current settings do not allow me to fix the band, but I have got around that with LTEInspecteur

I now find that I'm unable to fully use the phone function - I've plugged my old land-line in and can receive calls to it, but not make them. After some looking around online I get the impression that there are some VoLTE settings which are disabled in my firmware, so I'm looking to unlock them and I wondered if this firmware would do the trick.

I'm also a bit put off by what's involved in updating the firmware, and like a previous poster I wonder if it is not possible to do it via the local update page of the router settings?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 21-Jun-19 23:02:27
Print Post

[re: DualingAunts] [link to this post]

I had no trouble using the local file firmware upgrade, but I did that to get bridge mode, which doesn't work. I needn't have bothered.
Guess Huawei removed it because it was crop. (for o read a)
I can't find the original firmware to go back. Huawei support don't actually support.
(newbie) Sun 23-Jun-19 08:36:53
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
I had no trouble using the local file firmware upgrade, but I did that to get bridge mode, which doesn't work. I needn't have bothered.

Thanks for replying, that's a right pain for you that you can't get bridge mode happening. It's amazing how little support there is from Huawei.

Please could you clarify a couple of points that could help my plight to get the phone side of thing working?

I'm given to understand that some versions of the firmware have a "VoLTE" under "Settings"

Do you know if yours had this before / after you updated the firmware?

Mine has "Three.ie" branding on the admin pages and lists the following:

Device name: B525s-23a
Hardware version: WL1B520FM
Software version: 11.187.61.01.25
Web UI version: 21.100.38.00.03

Which file did you select to perform the update, I'm guessing it's the one in the \bin\ folder

"B525s-23a_UPDATE_11.182.61.00.778_DBU.bin"

Thanks for your assistance...
Standard User hoopla
(member) Wed 26-Jun-19 14:09:50
Print Post

I can't see how VoLTE could work on a data-only device. There is no VoLTE item in Settings. However, there is a Voip menu under settings. And the VOIP works brilliantly, coexisting with other VOIP devices on the network.

I have:
Software version: 11.182.61.00.778
Web UI version: 21.100.37.00.03_Mod1.5

The update file I used was probably the one you list: I forget.
I wish I could go back to the original firmware tht came with the thing.
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 14:45:08
Print Post

I can't see how VoLTE could work on a data-only device. There is no VoLTE item in Settings. However, there is a Voip menu under settings. And the VOIP works brilliantly, coexisting with other VOIP devices on the network.

I have:
Software version: 11.182.61.00.778
Web UI version: 21.100.37.00.03_Mod1.5

The update file I used was probably the one you list: I forget.
I wish I could go back to the original firmware tht came with the thing.

Thanks for that. I'm just trying to get my old landline phone handset working through it so I can make use of the unlimited minutes that came with my Three contract. I've plugged it into the phone socket on the back of the B525 and incoming calls have always worked fine but I can't dial out. Someone suggested that it would be under VoLTE settings, but not having that or VoIP options in my menus I'm not getting anywhere.

I'm tempted to try this alternative firmware, but not being able to revert to the original certainly puts me off trying.
Standard User lincsat
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 18:35:35
Print Post

Google finds a repository of Firmware for this device here - ftp://serv.valdikss.org.ru/Downloads/Huawei_Firmware...

Not tried any myself.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 29-Jun-19 18:58:55
Print Post

[re: lincsat] [link to this post]

That's interesting, but the one I'd like to find is 11.232.05.00.778 - which is what mine came with in the first place
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 29-Jun-19 18:59:52
Print Post

Even if you get voip working through it, you won't be using the free minutes on the sim.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 29-Jun-19 20:23:29
Print Post

Getting back to your VOIP settings, do you normally use the same provider for incoming and outgoing calls?
For several years, incoming arrive through one provider, and outgoing are carried on a variety of different ones, depending on who is cheaper for that call.
I have it all set up in my Fritz.box which is good on VOIP, but when I was testing the B525 I simply plugged the phone into it, and used the same provider for incoming and outgoing. It worked beautifully.
The probem is that although it let me add a second SIP server to the B525 config, I was only able to set up one SIP account, so I couldn't use the second server.
So I simply plugged the Fritz.box into the network and used that, with all its built-in VOIP cleverness and its dialling rules configured.
Which VOIP provider are you using?
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-19 09:30:35
Print Post

Getting back to your VOIP settings, do you normally use the same provider for incoming and outgoing calls?
For several years, incoming arrive through one provider, and outgoing are carried on a variety of different ones, depending on who is cheaper for that call.
I have it all set up in my Fritz.box which is good on VOIP, but when I was testing the B525 I simply plugged the phone into it, and used the same provider for incoming and outgoing. It worked beautifully.
The probem is that although it let me add a second SIP server to the B525 config, I was only able to set up one SIP account, so I couldn't use the second server.
So I simply plugged the Fritz.box into the network and used that, with all its built-in VOIP cleverness and its dialling rules configured.
Which VOIP provider are you using?

This is exposing my considerable ignorance with all of this!

I have inclusive unlimited minutes with the unlimited data of my Three SIM package. I've plugged my old landline handset into the router and it happily receives calls to the SIM's number, I just can't work out what, if anything I can do to call out.

In all honesty I haven't got a clue whether what I'm trying to set up is VoIP or VoLTE, or if my router can even achieve what I'm hoping it can. I also appreciate that hijacking a topic about enabling bridge mode probably isn't the best way to go about getting a solution!

As always, any steer in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 02-Jul-19 11:42:26
Print Post

I'm frankly amazed that it receives calls to the sim's number. That's not what I'd expect. I'll try it on mine, if I can find a handset to plug in and I can work out my sim''s phone number.
(newbie) Tue 02-Jul-19 11:50:16
Print Post

It's weird isn't it?

If it helps at all the SIM's number is shown in the router admin page:

Settings->System->Device Information->My Number
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 02-Jul-19 11:53:57
Print Post

Well, colour me gobsmacked!

It works for incoming and outgoing calls, though the outgoing call took about 8 seconds to connect - which seems a very long time indeed when you are just hearing silence.

However, my sim doesn't have any inclusive minutes.
Standard User mb1
(newbie) Tue 02-Jul-19 14:16:29
Print Post

I've been reading this thread with interest since purchasing a Three SIM and a Huawei B525 router. I also purchased a Poynting Omni, but I think that was a waste of money to be honest, as my speeds don't seem to have changed much. Worse if anything (especially with the new holes in the wall to get the cables through).

What is frustrating me - and I hope someone can help - is the sheer lack of information for this router. I can't even find a manual that explains how to set up the Speed Dial function.

I also have a VoIP account with FreeVoIPdeal and I'm not sure whether the router routes calls via this or the Three SIM card. There seems to be no information on which one comes first. Again, no details about it online from what i can find. I also get the 8 second delay before it calls, but it doesn't bother me particularly.

Most annoying of all though is the router's inability to now drop from 4G back to 3G for incoming calls. They were going to straight to Voicemail, but I've asked Three to swtich that off and they now get an engaged tone.

It was working previously and falling back, but stopped around a week ago. Any ideas? I've tried most if not all of the UMTS/LTE settings and the only reliable one is to force it to 3G/UMTS only.

This has the added advantage of more reliable speeds on 3G, where I seem to have contention issues if I have 4G and the speed isn't as good during the day.

It's all a bit annoying really, as this was supposed to be progress - especially with the speed - from my old fixed fibre landline broadband!
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 02-Jul-19 17:04:49
Print Post

[re: mb1] [link to this post]

Setting up the speed dial is easy. Fill in the speed dial short number, the actual number to call, the name and click OK then click Apply.
Doesn't work for me through VOIP, but it might do through the sim if I still had a phone plugged into the router.
If you've set up VOIP details, I expect it will route through that. Easy to tell: can your mobile and see what number is calling.
Mine worked perfectly well in 4G in an incoming call. Perhaps it is to do with the Three service area.
I have a directional antenna, because I have clear line of sight to more than one base station. Works brilliantly: signal level mostly varies between >=-51 and -55dBm, SINR usually around 10dB to 13dB but sometimes it drops to 0.
The antenna is sitting inside an upstairs window. I expect outdoors would be better, but that means climbing a ladder.

Edited by hoopla (Tue 02-Jul-19 17:07:50)

(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-19 09:51:13
Print Post

It works for incoming and outgoing calls, though the outgoing call took about 8 seconds to connect - which seems a very long time indeed when you are just hearing silence.

After reading that (particularly that an outgoing call took a long time to connect) I just tried it again myself and it works - I just had to wait 25 seconds after dialing (!)

So after all that, everything works without me having to do anything other than be a bit more patient!

Thanks for your help.
Standard User lincsat
(learned) Wed 03-Jul-19 12:36:49
Print Post

I wonder if the delay is because there isn't an equivalent of a send button on a standard wired handset and the delay is the router waiting for a key press.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 03-Jul-19 14:25:57
Print Post

Is this the firmware you're looking for.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ll9ieqqooyhy5/Docum...

Source information. Polish forum. Has a lot of information on the b525. A lot of tutorials on bridge mode and the such. 44 pages of it.

http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50771&p...

You'll need to use google translate, of course smile
Standard User hoopla
(member) Thu 04-Jul-19 13:03:10
Print Post

might be worth trying a # at the end of the number
Standard User hoopla
(member) Thu 04-Jul-19 13:30:01
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Is this the firmware you're looking for.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ll9ieqqooyhy5/Docum...

Yes, that's the one, but it won't update to that using the "local update" facility.
I may have to try the more complicated method - but only when I've recovered from my flu
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 06-Jul-19 16:46:42
Print Post

Even better: I was wrong about that too.
I was planning to sign up for the business deal, which is a few pounds cheaper per month, but needed far too much paperwork. That had no inclusive minutes or texts.
In the end I got a retail verson (no paperwork needed) which has unlimited texts and minutes.
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-19 19:00:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by DualingAunts:

After reading that (particularly that an outgoing call took a long time to connect) I just tried it again myself and it works - I just had to wait 25 seconds after dialing (!)

So after all that, everything works without me having to do anything other than be a bit more patient!

Thanks for your help.
This is very interesting, Just so I understand correctly, if you put a standard household handset in the back of the B525 with no special configuration (e.g. VOIP) you can use the sim number for outgoing and incoming calls (credit permitting). I thought the B525 had a RJ11 on the back rather than a standard BT socket, do you have to do anything special with the cable between router and phone? what sort of dial tone do you get when you pick up the handset?
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-19 10:56:44
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Hi dect,

Yes exactly that, my land-line phone is a Panasonic cordless jobbie with an RJ11 socket on the base unit, previously I was using a RJ11 to BT cable to the BT master socket. With the B525, I'm using a RJ11-RJ11 lead that I had knocking about, I've taken a photo of it, you'll see that the middle two wires are crossed over
The dial tone sounds wrong, like old BT tone when it times out, but aside from that and the 20 second wait when calling, it all works ok. I can also report that pressing # after dialing doesn't speed things up.
Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-19 17:24:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by DualingAunts:
Hi dect,

Yes exactly that, my land-line phone is a Panasonic cordless jobbie with an RJ11 socket on the base unit, previously I was using a RJ11 to BT cable to the BT master socket. With the B525, I'm using a RJ11-RJ11 lead that I had knocking about, I've taken a photo of it, you'll see that the middle two wires are crossed over
The dial tone sounds wrong, like old BT tone when it times out, but aside from that and the 20 second wait when calling, it all works ok. I can also report that pressing # after dialing doesn't speed things up.
Thanks for this information

Looks like this functionality may be disabled in later firmware versions, I told a friend and they tried it with B525 firmware version 11.236.01.00.1217 and they get an engaged tone when picking the handset up but they can't break the tone when dialing the number, it also goes straight to voicemail with incoming calls.
Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 09-Aug-19 08:48:41
Print Post

I have now tried HManager and LTEInsepctuer as mentioned in this thread. I am a little concerned about how secure these tools are - do people know if they have a good reputation?

My issue.

I wanted to be able to make phone calls using a standard DECT phone and the built in RJ11 port. This works out of the box, however it returns to 3G network to make call. When the call is ended it then returns to 4G, however locks on to band 20 and not band 3. This also means that carrier aggregation doesn't work. Less than 50% of the time it does switch to band 3, but i needed this to be everytime.

Side note, when carrier aggregation is active (4G+) the deivce will NOT allow incoming calls as it does not switch back to 3G to receieve the call. Odd piece of coding by Huaewei.

Findings (Three/Smarty network):

HManager allows you to change bands, however does not allow the B525 to remain in 'Auto' mode. It needs to be in this to make & receieve calls. So this didn't work for me

LTE Inspectuer allowed me to keep device in auto but manually lock band 3. This allows the B525 to drop back to 3G and then return to band 3 bypassing band 20. Only issue here is that carrier aggregation is now lost. Not a big issue as band 20 around here s very slow and non of the other bands are being aggregated. This selection is retained even when router is restarted
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Tue 13-Aug-19 17:30:06
Print Post

I've tried this Today but can't seem to boot the router into USB mode, it just boots into standard mode. Is there some indication when it's in USB mode? I keep the pins bridged for about 45 seconds but the lights follow the normal sequence. I'm assuming it's the pads labelled Boot and Ground in the picture?
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Tue 13-Aug-19 18:15:58
Print Post

As an update, I managed to get into USB mode but only by booting with the USB connected to my Lappy, couldn't get it to work without.
Standard User Damoxz
(newbie) Wed 11-Sep-19 18:54:26
Print Post

Hi all,

I have this router and I'm in Ireland with the 3 network but on the web interface it has 3 interface as it is locked to 3. I'm wondering do I have to flash the original firmware (from Huawei) first onto the router before I flash this firmware?

Thanks.
Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-19 22:38:04
Print Post

Re: Huawei B525 - firmware guide to enable bridge mode and m *DELETED*

[re: Damoxz] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by yerzu (Tue 01-Oct-19 22:39:00)

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 08:54:05
Print Post

[re: yerzu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yerzu:
- change band and force aggregation (FDD/TDD)
Interesting, the only Huawei B525 API I am aware of that configures the network settings for band, frequency and mode is net-mode can you confirm what API configures aggregation as everything I have read states there isn't one?
Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 08:57:13
Print Post

This is only for HiLink routers (modems).
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 09:08:56
Print Post

This is only for HiLink routers (modems).
So it can't configure aggregation on B525? can you give models where it will work?
Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 09:28:43
Print Post

B525 is HiLink. Probably any router is HiLink (modems can be some NDIS or something else - without web GUI). In conclusion - if You have web GUI (entering address like 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc.) then You have HiLink version and You can use my app.
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 09:48:02
Print Post

B525 is HiLink. Probably any router is HiLink (modems can be some NDIS or something else - without web GUI). In conclusion - if You have web GUI (entering address like 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc.) then You have HiLink version and You can use my app.
I appreciate your polish but you're not making sense, I said in my previous post that I do not believe there is a Huawei B525 API that configures aggregation.
Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 13:18:05
Print Post

Sorry I not readed to end Your post and my answer it: yes API net-mode allows to change band and enable auto aggregation and forced aggregation (f.e 900+1800). If Yours BTS supports aggregation then it should work.

First of all You must force band to connect with propper BTS and then change band to that allows aggregate bands - thats all.
In my app aggregation is labeled LTE+ and enables during download (like on sample screen in google store).
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 15:05:43
Print Post

yes API net-mode allows to change band and enable auto aggregation and forced aggregation (f.e 900+1800).
The Huawei B525 API net-mode only takes three parameters (NetworkMode, NetworkBand and LTEBand).

NetworkMode can be 01 for 2G, 02 for 3G and 03 for 4G

NetworkBand is the value for the 3G band, when not in use it is set to 3FFFFFFF

LTEBand is the value for the primary LTE bands available to the router this is not anything to do with aggregation, when not in use its set to 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

For example

if you want to lock it to only band 20 on 4G you would pass the following parameters
03, 3FFFFFFF, 80000

if you want to restrict/limit it to band 3 or band 20 on 4G you would pass the following parameters
03, 3FFFFFFF, 80004

Edited by dect (Wed 02-Oct-19 15:10:29)

Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 15:20:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
if you want to lock it to only band 20 on 4G you would pass the following parameters
03, 3FFFFFFF, 80000

if you want to restrict/limit it to band 3 or band 20 on 4G you would pass the following parameters
03, 3FFFFFFF, 80004

Yes! Code 80004 locks to 800+1800 and run aggregation if its supported by BTS.

Link to my app is deleted by admin. If someone want to check this app please search in google play "huaCtrl".

Edited by yerzu (Wed 02-Oct-19 15:24:48)

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 16:16:35
Print Post

03, 3FFFFFFF, 80000

03, 3FFFFFFF, 80004

Link to my app is deleted by admin. If someone want to check this app please search in google play "huaCtrl".
The decision to aggregate is done by the mobile network (aka BTS) not the Huawei B525 routers configuration. Even if you lock a Huawei B525 to just band 20 it will still aggregate with other bands if the mobile network tells it too.

There in nothing in the Huawei B525 configuration that can be changed (locally or via an app) to stop or allow aggregation that is the important thing for everyone to know.
Standard User yerzu
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 16:43:29
Print Post

There in nothing in the Huawei B525 configuration that can be changed (locally or via an app) to stop or allow aggregation that is the important thing for everyone to know.

Why You are talking about something without tests? I tested this and if I set band to only 1800 then aggregation not fire up (api/monitoring/status returns 101) and then if I set 900+1800 (in my case) then api returns status 1011 which means agg is applied.

Edited by yerzu (Wed 02-Oct-19 16:45:06)

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 17:00:51
Print Post

Why You are talking about something without tests? I tested this and if I set band to only 1800 then aggregation not fire up (api/monitoring/status returns 101) and then if I set 900+1800 (in my case) then api returns status 1011 which means agg is applied.
What I am saying is not new, it is very well documented in the polish Huawei B525 forums. If you disagree maybe you should take it up with your fellow country men as they are far more cleverer than me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Oct-19 17:51:20
Print Post

I wonder if anyone knows what Permissions yerzu's own app requests/needs ?

Note that the direct link post was deleted. The one with the name of the app is still present, plus a quote of that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 02-Oct-19 18:25:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

From the Play Store listing:

- view network connections
- full network access
- prevent device from sleeping
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 02-Oct-19 19:17:54
Print Post

03, 3FFFFFFF, 80000

03, 3FFFFFFF, 80004

The decision to aggregate is done by the mobile network (aka BTS) not the Huawei B525 routers configuration. Even if you lock a Huawei B525 to just band 20 it will still aggregate with other bands if the mobile network tells it too.

Apologies if I have read this wrong, but when I used LTEInspectuer and selected band 3 only on my B525 this stopped CA from working. CA would only work if I selected both bands in the aggregate options. I originally locked to band 3 only and disabled CA as when 4g+ was active it was impossible to make or receieve phone calls via the simcard.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Oct-19 19:50:13
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Maybe everybody is happy with taking that from someone who only joined the forum to promote their app. I wouldn't feel safe with it myself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 02-Oct-19 22:37:11
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Apologies if I have read this wrong, but when I used LTEInspectuer and selected band 3 only on my B525 this stopped CA from working. CA would only work if I selected both bands in the aggregate options. I originally locked to band 3 only and disabled CA as when 4g+ was active it was impossible to make or receieve phone calls via the simcard.
Hi Gary

I am only stating what I have read in the Polish Huawei B525 forums and the Polish guys seem to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to these routers, the point I was trying to make is that you can't actually configure what band to use as your primary band and what band to use as your CA band via the routers configuration(locally or via an app). Maybe I have misunderstood a little and if so you might be right that by locking it to just one band it disables CA
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 02-Oct-19 23:07:45
Print Post

Hi Gary

I am only stating what I have read in the Polish Huawei B525 forums and the Polish guys seem to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to these routers, the point I was trying to make is that you can't actually configure what band to use as your primary band and what band to use as your CA band via the routers configuration(locally or via an app). Maybe I have misunderstood a little and if so you might be right that by locking it to just one band it disables CA

No probs, that makes total sense smile. From the looks of it you can lock down to a single band (which results in CA being disabled by the B525) or you can tell the B525 what CA bands it's allowed to use. However, even though you can tell it what bands to use I am assuming the control of whether or not what you have selected is actually used comes down to the cell sites equipment.

One useful option though seems to be that you can select your upload channel, and although this cannot be aggregated it would be useful if for whatever reason your device likes to lock on to a band with less capacity.

Here is a screen shot of what options is in the LTEinspectuer for CA.

LTE Inspectuer CA
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Thu 03-Oct-19 07:02:01
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Those look like pretty constrained permissions and exactly the sort of access and app would need if it wanted to scan the network to find the router instead of having the user type in the IP address/name of the router.

According to this:

https://www.wandera.com/mobile-security/app-and-data...

90% of Android apps ask for "view network connections" and nearly as many ask for "view network connections" (of the apps they surveyed).
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 03-Oct-19 08:48:14
Print Post

One useful option though seems to be that you can select your upload channel, and although this cannot be aggregated it would be useful if for whatever reason your device likes to lock on to a band with less capacity.
Do you have an apk for LTEinspectuer or a link to it
Standard User kommando
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-19 13:38:25
Print Post

LTEInspecteur only runs on a PC, there is an android app on the Polish sites which is itself a translation of an Arabic app, these are both called Hmanager. Neither are in English but the Polish version is easier to use but I still prefer LTEInspecteur.
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 03-Oct-19 14:51:42
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
LTEInspecteur only runs on a PC, there is an android app on the Polish sites which is itself a translation of an Arabic app, these are both called Hmanager. Neither are in English but the Polish version is easier to use but I still prefer LTEInspecteur.
OK thanks, didn't realise about LTEInspecteur only being PC based.
Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 03-Oct-19 15:23:13
Print Post

Do you have an apk for LTEinspectuer or a link to it

Here you go smile

LTEInspectuer
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 03-Oct-19 16:22:49
Print Post

Here you go smile

LTEInspectuer
Thanks Gary

This was interesting to read as you said you had issues using the sim card while locked to a single frequency

It is also possible to lock the router on a single frequency in case of unstable reception while retaining the benefit of telephony through the RJ11 socket . For that, do not forget to choose "Automatic" for the network on the screen shot above.
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-19 19:53:54
Print Post

Is the B525 still a viable piece of kit to go for? I bought the Zyxel LTE3302 but I'm not too impressed with some of the functionality so considering exchanging for this.

Also does anyone know the difference between the B525 and B525s.

I ask in this thread as I have no hesitation in flashing this firmware to enable additional functionality (once I ensure that everything is working and I am happy of course)
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:26:45
Print Post

[re: Adam86] [link to this post]

All B525 are actually B525S smile. There are two versions suitable for UK. The standard UK model: B525s-23a and the Europe model which is the B525s-65a.

The 65a has more bands however the 23a covers I believe all current 4G bands so the 65a in lieu of 5G is no longer required.

The B525 I got from Amazon / Livewire has bridge mode by default.
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:30:02
Print Post

All B525 are actually B525S smile. There are two versions suitable for UK. The standard UK model: B525s-23a and the Europe model which is the B525s-65a.

The 65a has more bands however the 23a covers I believe all current 4G bands so the 65a in lieu of 5G is no longer required.

The B525 I got from Amazon / Livewire has bridge mode by default.

Your reply is most helpful smile

Is this the unit you bought from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-unlocked-networks-Ge...

I can see this is sold by Livewire, bridge mode would be an important factor for me. Does yours also have the ability to switch bands in the Web GUI then or just bridge mode functionality?
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 21-Oct-19 20:39:03
Print Post

[re: Adam86] [link to this post]

Livewire are the UK official Huawei distributor. If any issues they can send you the firmware to enable bridge mode, but yes by default the unlocked devices like you have linked should be firmware: 11.189.63.00.1217.

The linked one is the one I got. Seem to have gone up in price.

Unfortunately this firmware does not support band selection only 2G/3G/4G or auto. Bands can be modified though using bc LTEinspectuer and is maintained upon turning device off or rebooting.

Bear in mind you can get a B535 from three on a one month contract for less than b525. Unsure what options the B535 has or lacks over the B525
Standard User nehuawei
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-19 21:33:14
Print Post

I'm so glad I found this thread - I was beginning to think there was no one out there who found a way to change the firmware on a B525!

How many of you guys have actually gone ahead and changed the firmware? I'm currently running an unlimited Three sim in a set up for my retired parents. I'd read that I could make/receive calls with a dect phone and B525 but it turns out I can't, but at least with a tweak of the firmware, I should be able to get around it. I'm running Hardware version
WL1B520FM
Software Version
Web UI Version

I'm struggling to find a decent firmware repository, I'd like to get a copy of the firmware that it's currently running so I have the option to roll it back if things don't work out - any suggestions?

OP, with this update will that allow me to unblock the RJ11 port?
Standard User buggerlugs
(newbie) Sun 27-Oct-19 13:18:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As someone on the LTEInspecteur page stated....

"I spent the zip (without decompressing) in analysis online via Virustotal ( https://www.virustotal.com/fr/ ) and a smallpox is detected = W32.malware.gen"

So allowing this to control bands on ones router may be, just may be a touch dangerous. You have absolutely no idea what this program is doing in the background.
Standard User Adam86
(newbie) Fri 15-Nov-19 14:56:20
Print Post

[re: nehuawei] [link to this post]

I did it on mine just a few days after receiving the kit.

It was very easy and probably took no more than 30 minutes, just used a flat screwdriver to bridge the points to enable the usb firmware mode.

Now can easily change between the frequencies etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to