General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TooUnCool
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-19 15:13:50
Print Post

Virgin Mobile down much slower than up

[link to this post]

I have been using a Three SIM in my Zxyel LTE7410 and getting upto 60Mbps down and around 30 up. I recently replaced it with a Virgin SIM and now I only get around 20 down but still around 30 up. OpenSignal tells me the Zyxel is pointing at the mast so I am wondering what could be the issue here. The Zyxel is about 6m up so getting on a ladder to pull out the sim and test with a phone is not top of my favourites list....

Anyone have any thoughts?
Standard User gary333
(learned) Sat 20-Apr-19 19:35:08
Print Post

Re: Virgin Mobile down much slower than up

[re: TooUnCool] [link to this post]

Could be the amount of users on the mast is much higher than that of 3.

We have thousands of O2 users/phones in the building where I work, and in the day you find that download might only be a couple of mbps, however upload can often be 10-20mbps. Come late evening the speed can be 50-60mbps or higher.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-19 23:31:49
Print Post

Virgin is a virtual network on EE so doesnít get the full capacity. Itís why theyíre cheaper.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TooUnCool
(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-19 08:40:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not according to their website....https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html

...although the cynic might argue that this performance would only be achieved at 4am with noone else connected to the mast!

No, there's something wrong. Even if I wasn't pointing the antenna directly at the mast, about 1km across a river valley in a very rural area, I would expect faster speeds. Heck I get 40Mbps on my (3) iPhone indoors...
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-19 09:34:42
Print Post

Can you get an EE sim in a phone to test with?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-Apr-19 10:08:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by TooUnCool:
Not according to their website....https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html
From that link, ďLegalĒ section:
4.1 Availability: We will try to make our Services available to you at all times but quality and availability could be affected by factors outside of our control, such as the weather, or faults in the Network or any other networks used to provide the Services to you.
(By the way, not leaving a space before the https makes it unclickable, just like putting a full stop at the end does).

Also note that they claim to be faster on average than Vodafone, Three and O2, but donít list EE. As Virgin did not buy any ďMobile spectrumĒ when it was sold to providers, and havenít subsequently bought any from one, they must be leasing space on one of the four that did ....

You have one guess left wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Apr-19 10:27:39
Print Post

That link says maxed at 70mbps. Iíve seen a friend of mine max out at 60.
Iím with EE and in the same location have managed 150mbps.

Itís a non issue because most places canít achieve these very high speeds.

The point I was making is that VM buy space on EEís network, so of course they donít get all the features. You canít make 4G voice calls, or use WiFi calling to help when no signal indoors. (4G voice calling helps indoors, as you can connect to the lower frequency band)

MVNOís are second tier providers. Hence cheaper.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Apr-19 10:29:42
Print Post

Separately the EE and Three transmitters on the mast may not be in the same place. You may get better service from Three for geographical reasons.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Apr-19 13:12:31
Print Post

[re: biohead] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by biohead:
Can you get an EE sim in a phone to test with?
Testing data speeds is generally hard, as you quickly hit the 30 Mbps speed cap that EE has on PAYG. My own experience with a Virgin Media PAYG SIM last summer showed it was limited to 3G, did not even connect to 4G. (in a Google Pixel handset).

Print Thread

Jump to