General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JazzMAN808
(newbie) Fri 03-May-19 10:34:01
Print Post

Any Router than can LB 4G LTE and ADSL w/ 802.11ac?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am on the search for a Wireless Router that can perform the below functions:

1) 4G LTE connectivity via USB or Built in Modem
2) support vDSL
3) supports load balancing / bonding WAN interfaces
4) supports 802.11ac

Rationale is client is moving address away from a premise which has Fibre to somewhere rural which has sub 10mbps speed via ADSL and to make matters worse the line is a Exchange Only line therefore no idea when BT Openreach will change this to Fibre. So will rely on Load Balacing the 4G and ADSL together to get a faster speed.

The only product I have found so far to date is the Draytek 2860 (does not load balance but more failover) and 2862 or 2926. Is there any other products out there that can perform the above?

Thanks

Jazz
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-May-19 10:54:11
Print Post

Re: Any Router than can LB 4G LTE and ADSL w/ 802.11ac?

[re: JazzMAN808] [link to this post]

Hmmm smile.

How much of what you will be charging your client for the solution will you donate to this sites owners to help fund it when you are presented with solutions? (Obviously donations to relevant posters are not really applicable).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-May-19 11:06:15
Print Post

I don't think you'll find a consumer router meeting all your requirements. The closest I can think of is the excellent Billion 8900AX

http://www.billion.com/Communication/xDSL%20Wireless...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Network-Routers/Billion-M...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 07-May-19 10:45:59
Print Post

The Draytek 2860 does load balance quite well. I use one with a Mikrotik SXT LTE to balance 4G and ADSL - works well for me. Latency and throughput are variable, but that is common with 4g. Overall much better than just ADSL. You can set rules to direct specific traffic to a particular link if required.
I also use AAISP's L2TP to get static IPs for the 4G (IPv4 and IPv6).
Standard User danielhyde
(learned) Tue 07-May-19 12:31:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by JazzMAN808:
Hi All,

I am on the search for a Wireless Router that can perform the below functions:

1) 4G LTE connectivity via USB or Built in Modem
2) support vDSL
3) supports load balancing / bonding WAN interfaces
4) supports 802.11ac

Rationale is client is moving address away from a premise which has Fibre to somewhere rural which has sub 10mbps speed via ADSL and to make matters worse the line is a Exchange Only line therefore no idea when BT Openreach will change this to Fibre. So will rely on Load Balacing the 4G and ADSL together to get a faster speed.

The only product I have found so far to date is the Draytek 2860 (does not load balance but more failover) and 2862 or 2926. Is there any other products out there that can perform the above?

Thanks

Jazz

Hi Jazz,

I believe the Draytek 2862Lac would fit the bill perfectly.

Link

1) 4G LTE connectivity via USB or Built in Modem - Built in modem with external antennae
2) support vDSL - Yes
3) supports load balancing / bonding WAN interfaces - Load balancing supported
4) supports 802.11ac - Yes

I currently use the older 2860Ln which only has n Wi-Fi so we don't use the Wi-Fi.
But the 4G on an EE sim is getting great throughput even using the supplied aerials.

Thanks
Dan
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-May-19 11:19:39
Print Post

Honestly with 3 being such a crazy good deal at the moment I'm wondering if just using them without the ADSL may be a better option. If you can get 50mbit/sec+ on 4G I don't see the benefit of ADSL speed wise at least. May be worthwhile as a backup option but load balancing a very slow ADSL connection with a much much faster 4G connection will result in weird/slow results for single threaded use, especially uploads.
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Wed 15-May-19 12:57:21
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

When I started using Three I cancelled one of our FTTC lines and moved the other to Plusnet (from AAISP). I havent actually needed to use the Plusnet line since and am really wishing Id cancelled that too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-May-19 13:52:19
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Remember this is apparently for a client of the OP. He has to make a recommendation.

The question that needs to be asked is whether gaming is a requirement, as the HomeFi latency is all over the place and the ADSL2+ may be required for that. I agree that the load balancing idea is not necessarily a good one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
  Print Thread

Jump to