General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(newbie) Tue 14-May-19 13:07:10
Print Post

Three Homefi or something better?

[link to this post]

I'm looking at adding a 4G connection to my existing broadband utilizing my existing routers load balancing function and it seems that £20 a month gets you the sim OR £22 a month gets you the homefi and the sim. The homefi looks like its a £100+ item so £48 extra over two years doesn't seem that bad.

My concern is if this homefi might be a bottleneck for traffic. I dont want it to handle devices or provide wifi I just need it to handle the data part of it with my router doing all of the other stuff.

Do I need to spend more to attain better speeds?

The location I will be using it is more rural than where I am now. I did a quick speedtest with my phone in one of the rooms of the property and got a 55mb/15mb result so I'm hoping in the loft space the speed should be improved.

I'm happy to spend money if it'll actually be of benefit but if all I'll gain is the ability to have more users on the devices wifi I really dont need that.
(newbie) Thu 23-May-19 17:08:39
Print Post

Re: Three Homefi or something better?

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

To reply to myself I bought the homefi system with the B311 and it seems that I'd have been better off paying the lump sum for the B525 as without bridge mode I feel this homefi is really struggling.

I need to wait until it is quieter in the day for less 4G traffic to see what it is capable off but when I try to load balance it with my 400mb virgin media connection it's rather tricky and I get lots of failures.

I called Three who gave me £5 credit because of a software bug..... I'll call them back in a few days to cancel completely because I've signed up to the contract that costs a tad more so this will cost me a few quid in the long term.

on it's own it's actually rather responsive. without load balancing it's also rather responsive for a family network.
Standard User champagne_charly
(newbie) Tue 28-May-19 16:00:48
Print Post

Re: Three Homefi or something better? *DELETED*

Post deleted by champagne_charly

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 28-May-19 16:18:18
Print Post

The thing that worried me was the B311 Gateway specification that said:
Connectivity.
LTE Cat 4: 150/50Mbps (FDD)@ 20M BW Data service, LTE DL 2*2 MIMO CSFB, VoIP or VoLTE(2rd release) DISABLED this device does not support VOIP when connected to a phone via CAT 5 cable
So it won't work running as a 4G gateway connected to a router?

A wi-fi connection is not a lot of use if the device is in the attic to get optimal signal (MIMO but only one external antenna connection). And my phones are connected through a Fritz Box, mostly.

Perhaps I'd be best getting the £20 sim-only and using a better-specced 4G modem. But which?
I do have a spare Huawei 5776 mi-fi but that has no ethernet port at all.
(newbie) Tue 28-May-19 16:28:33
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

It does kinda work but there is no such thing as a bridge mode.
I had mine hooked into my Asus mesh and it worked okay but it was far better when I got rid of the 311 and bought the 525.

As for the question about unlimited on my phone that wont work because I leave the house and the family stay behind. They'd not be pleased if everytime I went out of the house the internet stopped.

Edited by chriscdotcodotuk (Tue 28-May-19 16:30:39)

Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 28-May-19 16:56:07
Print Post

Thanks. So does the 525 have bridge mode out of the box, or does it need a firmware hack?
(newbie) Tue 28-May-19 17:04:40
Print Post

firmware hack.

Basically a 5min job but it does void your warranty and you will need a usb a-a cable.

For me it was worth it as it was a cheaper device and I wasn't bothered about the warranty.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 28-May-19 17:50:28
Print Post

Thanks.
Device ordered.

I have a USBa-a cable, and I have several Huawei devices, none of which have ever given a moment's trouble, so the warranty is not a concern.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 28-May-19 18:01:23
Print Post

Later, I note that the one I bought is described as:
UNLOCKED HUAWEI B525s-23a CAT 6 300MBPS 4G WI-FI ROUTER WITH BRIDGE MODE & VOIP (BLACK)

+ 2 x SMA ANTENNAS

WILL WORK WITH ANY SIM CARD WORLDWIDE
So either the description is wrong, or i won't need to hack it.
(newbie) Tue 28-May-19 18:10:07
Print Post

I bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FN4BT28

The SMA antennas are definitely NOT for the frequencies I was connecting on as when you kick it over to just the external antennas the signal drops to virtually nothing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to