General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User netPrefect
(newbie) Thu 16-May-19 14:15:26
Print Post

Recommendations for 4G LTE Modem with Bridge mode

[link to this post]

I realise a similar question has been asked recently, but my requirements are slightly different (but probably not that unusual/uncommon)...

Having seen the positive results from people on here about switching to 3 for their internet use I am contemplating doing the same as I can almost halve my monthly cost while at the same time more than tripling my up/down speed (My BT ADSL2+ connection currently gives me 4Mb up and .4 down on a good day, too far from cab for FTTC and while BDUK have us down for FTTP its not planned until sometime near the end of 2020!)

So, I am looking for a 4G LTE modem and wondered what other people were using and what their experiences were, my requirements are fairly straight forward:-

1) 4G LTE
2) Modem/Passthru mode

I have my own Ubiquiti USG 3P and a set of Ubiquiti Switches and Access Points so want to retain those, hence the bridge mode requirement. I currently use a Draytek 130 (also in bridge mode) between the BT point and the USG and so simply want to replace it in the setup with a 3G modem.

Latency and Jitter don't really concern me with the 3G as I don't do VOIP or Gaming, I just do web browsing, netflix and a VPN to the office for work.

I have looked at the Netgear LB2120 which would suit my needs but am looking at alternatives for comparison and some assurances that the devices actually do what they say (the Netgear devices in particular have reports of not working correctly in bridge mode, I know the USG also has had its issues, but the latest beta software seems to have settled all of those down now, but the proof is in the pudding as they say).

I guess I could use any 3G modem/dongle device if it has a an ethernet port and bridge mode, but don't see the point in buying something that has wifi capability when all I will do is disable it by placing the device in bridge mode.

Ideas/Suggestions gratefully received...
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Fri 17-May-19 12:55:11
Print Post

Re: Recommendations for 4G LTE Modem with Bridge mode

[re: netPrefect] [link to this post]

I'm in exactly the same position as you so any advice greatly received.

I also have a Ubiquiti setup and need the same sort of modem with bridge mode. To test things out I purchased the 3 unlimited SIM only tariff for £20 per month a few days ago. I then purchased a relatively cheap Huawei E8372 from eBay which arrived yesterday. I also have a GLiNet AR150 which allows the dongle to plug straight into it and then I connect the AR150 straight to the WAN1 port of the USG. All worked seemlessly.

I'm getting around 10-12mbps download and around 4-5mbps upload which might not seem great but when you've been used to sub 1mbps it's truly amazing!

However I'm now looking to see if I can increase this with either a better modem with greater reception or use an external antenna on the E8372. It has dual TS9 ports so would be interested to hear any views or advice on using this or buying a new modem.
Standard User craig1410
(member) Sat 18-May-19 01:11:47
Print Post

[re: andyh747] [link to this post]

I知 also very interested in 4G/LTE modem recommendations as I already have a Synology 2600/2200 mesh WiFi network and just need the equivalent of a PPoE modem to connect me to LTE.

I知 currently connected to FTTC and get 70/20 Mbps on my VDSL landline connection but will be moving house in a couple of weeks to a farm house which has approx 11/1Mbps landline which is not worth having IMO.

I知 an IT consultant who works from home full time so I need at least what I have now and can only get that with LTE. Fortunately I have an EE cell tower very near to the new house and did a speed test during a recent viewing of the property where I got 90/55Mbps at ground level with my iPhone X so I hope I値l get at least that from an LTE modem or router at first floor level and even higher with an external aerial. I could just get the 4GEE Home router from EE, and might have to in order to get the corresponding data SIM, but unless that gives me very high speeds and no complications when working with the Synology router, I値l be looking to switch to something a bit more capable.

Many thanks,
Craig.

ZeN Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 up to 76Mbps (Typ. 56Mbps dn / 20 Mbps up)
Apple Airport Express + Time Capsule
Apple Macbook Pro Retina/ iPad Air / iPhone 5

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Sun 19-May-19 22:07:40
Print Post

[re: craig1410] [link to this post]

So has nobody got recommendations for a good LTE router which is capable of bridge mode? I've just discovered my setup is not allowing bridge mode so I'm stuffed in trying to access my VPN from the WAN side unless I use DMZ and double NAT.

Some recommendations on bridge capable routers would be really helpful as well as those which support an external antenna connection.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-May-19 22:38:30
Print Post

Why not go for a LTE modem only such as the Netgear LB2120 as this can definitely be used in bridge modem? This is confirmed by one of the Amazon reviewers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-LB2120-100UKS-Broad...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-May-19 22:57:25
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Why not go for a LTE modem only such as the Netgear LB2120

Sadly whilst looking promising that modem doesn't seem to support much in the way of CA. Only category 4 LTE.

The Amazon page doesn't mention which LTE bands it supports, and the Netgear page (LB2120) doesn't cover the 100UKS model, and only mentions US bands (2, 4, 5, 12) which are useless in Europe. Typical of Netgear, poor documentation.

Scan has a page showing Cat 4 and UK bands:
4G: FDD-LTE Cat4 (800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz)

Those are B20, B8, B3, B1, B7 - category 4 means a poor modem for Vodafone or EE use.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Sun 19-May-19 23:04:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

From some searching a good option seems to be the Teltonika RUT240.

Anyone any experience of using this in Bridge mode?
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Sun 19-May-19 23:52:38
Print Post

Have you looked at the Mikrotik LTE products? I've not used them myself, only their routers & home WiFi products which are extremely versatile, but may be worth researching.
Standard User TechServ
(learned) Mon 20-May-19 10:11:15
Print Post

[re: netPrefect] [link to this post]

Any Cradlepoint LTE routers will provide Bridging or IP Passthrough - there is also a £75 trade in promotion currently. The IBR900 is decent kit with excellent support.

At a cheaper end the Teltonika RUT950 has IP Passthrough. but that is CAT4, there is a newer RUTX09 that is CAT6 but not available yet.
Standard User andyh747
(newbie) Mon 20-May-19 10:55:45
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

Cradlepoint looks very capable but that's reflected in the price point. For what I'm looking for it's a bit too much to justify.

I'll look at the Mikrotik options as well.

Edited by andyh747 (Mon 20-May-19 10:56:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to