General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Sun 19-May-19 10:53:09
Print Post

Three HomeFi and Port forwarding

[link to this post]

Is there any users out there that have successfully setup port forwarding and verified it works? I'm having major issues in getting anything to work but can't be certain it's my setup or if it's 3 blocking it.

Am I making an incorrect assumption that with a proper HomeFi contract and 3internet APN, you get a unique IP and there is no CG-NAT happening?

EDIT: Just a few hours later, determined what when my B525 is in bridge mode port forwarding doesn't work. If I switch it back to router mode it comes good without touching any of my firewall rules in pfsense.

Edited by biohead (Sun 19-May-19 12:48:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-May-19 11:09:25
Print Post

Re: Three HomeFi and Port forwarding

[re: biohead] [link to this post]

Iíve forgotten how you check for CG-NAT, and I donít use port forwarding, but what I can tell you is that the IP Address is very dynamic and also several Three IP addresses are blacklisted. If you get one of those, could it screw up port forwarding? Even assuming you are using a dynamic DNS.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Sun 19-May-19 11:21:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm just trying to port forward an HTTP server on one of my RPi's so that the interface is externally accessible. Not trying to setup more complex port forwarding for gaming etc, just a simple port 80 redirect so I can view the web interface out of the house when my primary WAN is down.

I was of the understanding the HomeFi/MBB contracts do not get CG-NAT'ed on 3 - but thought it'd be sensible to check.

As is usually the case - I've spent all week tackling this, decided to post for help and then found a resolution - typical!

Anyway, I was using the Huawei B525 in bridge mode (amongst other various Mifi's/dongles through the week). I've taken the B525 out of bridge mode, assigned my pfsense box a static IP on that interface and everything just started working. So there's something strange happening with the B525 in bridge mode it seems!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 19-May-19 12:11:55
Print Post

I use 2 x three sims via 2 x Mikrotik LTE Kit's to a Draytek 3220 and dont have any problem with port forwards, and sadly with these Mikrotiks its double NAT as there is no bridge mode, I run BlueIris CCTV software which I use externally no problem with a No-ip domain.
All works as expected, IP does change everytime I connect, but these things are so reliable they have both been connected now for 68 days and that was only re-connected for a firmware upgrade. So glad I ditched my ADSL, that could hardly stay connected for 68 mins!!
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Mon 20-May-19 09:08:23
Print Post

Surely it doesn't make sense for the B525 to be doing port forwarding when bridge mode is enabled ?

Isn't the whole point of bridge mode to pass all traffic direct to the internal router ? At which point it is the internal router that has to do port forwarding ?

Or does bridge mode not operate the way I've been assuming it does ?
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Mon 20-May-19 18:42:49
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Sorry, I was referring to port forwarding on my pfsense router with the B525 in bridge mode.
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Mon 20-May-19 18:54:49
Print Post

That makes more sense.

At some point I need to move my MikroTik and backup B525 over to bridge mode so I can get a proper pfSense setup running again like I had with my bonded FTTC lines.
  Print Thread

Jump to