General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User skiersteve
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 19:52:38
Print Post

3 4g router Painfully slow :(

[link to this post]

Just got my 4g router to try and replace my already painfully slow broadband, Was told I had excellent coverage and should get anywhere from 20 - 60mbps and a minimum of 15 which I would be well happy with as my broadband maxes it at 7 and on average is around 4mbps, however plugged in connected wireless and wired and got even worse speeds than my broadband, going to call 3 tomorrow, anything I should say? just want some decent internet that's not snails pace frown on netflix at 480p im getting 0.5mbps wired in with the cable that comes in the box

heres a link to a screenshot I took, wireless and wired with the router, not sure why wireless is so much faster on the upload, but wired its only just faster than wireless frown feel like I got kinda ripped off by the people at 3 I spoke to, Ill wait a few more days to see if anything changes but luckily I bought online so can send it back if needs be, anything I can do to try improve it?

https://imgur.com/a/VfifDXt

Edited by skiersteve (Wed 19-Jun-19 20:06:16)

Standard User skiersteve
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 20:26:55
Print Post

Re: 3 4g router Painfully slow :(

[re: skiersteve] [link to this post]

Could this work with the three huawei b311 router?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGFPS/ref=a...

saw a vid on it and improved his speed/connection a lot but no idea if it will work with this router? Im a complete amature when it comes too this frown sorry for all the noob questions, also I did this ghetto video for a friend, tried to do a speed test but it wouldn't even connect lol said latency issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GnejueSISY
Standard User Jake4
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 20:35:45
Print Post

You could try with an external antenna attached and where the device is placed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User skiersteve
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 20:40:37
Print Post

[re: Jake4] [link to this post]

the hub only have one connector for an an antenna but all the good ones seem too need two connections frown

Edited by skiersteve (Wed 19-Jun-19 20:46:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Jun-19 21:28:04
Print Post

Which 4G router is it? I assume a Three one, but the 311 or the other one? If it's the 311, what colour is the signal light? Green or blue?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User skiersteve
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 22:07:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, its the Huawei HomeFi b311, just bought these together, worse comes to worse I can return them, also the 3 sim should work with it I think, even 15mbps will be 4x faster than what I have now frown

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGFPS/ref=p...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071CYR18L/ref=p...

and the signal light is blue
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Jun-19 00:17:14
Print Post

I'm confused. You link to the B525, not the B311 that is in the current Three HomeFi deals as far as I can see. (I think they used to offer the 525 for a bit more). Did you buy the router off Amazon?

What SIM have you got? The Three HomeFi router comes with a SIM, but it isn't the same setup as the unlimited phone SIM. It is a 100GB data SIM that then gets a free add-on to unlimited data after a couple of days. The £20 phone SIM is unlimited everything immediately

I don't expect there is any problem with a guaranteed new B525, but I wonder if there is something wrong with the one you have if that's what it is and you didn't get it from Three.

I would expect the phone SIM to work in any 4G/LTE router but don't know for sure that it does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 20-Jun-19 02:27:29
Print Post

Have you checked the router settings? Are you connecting using 4g or 3g? Have you tried putting the device in every random spot in the house to see if it improves signal. Do you have a recent unlocked smartphone that you can test the sim with to see what speeds you get on that, to rule out that router.
Standard User j0el
(regular) Thu 20-Jun-19 04:44:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He means he has the B311, but he has just bought the B525. tongue

Three Ireland supplied the B525 with the mobile broadband packages, not Three UK - I don't think they ever did.
Standard User j0el
(regular) Thu 20-Jun-19 05:12:34
Print Post

Signal light being blue signifies it is connected to a 3G network (UMTS). Cyan signifies LTE. From your video I can see it's 4G LTE, however.

From what I could see in the video, the stats were:
RSRQ: -12 dB
RSRP: -114 dBm
RSSI: -83 dBm
SNR: 1 dB

The connection is poor overall. I would suggest attempting to relocate the device near to a window, at least for now for the sake of testing - if cable length permits for both LAN and router power supply. You may need to put a bit of effort into finding a good spot which may not even be in the same room, and sometimes just a few centimeters can make a difference - but don't let this you discourage you! Having the device inside the house, far away from windows will stifle a good connection since walls are a good obstacle.

I would really suggest downloading and using LTEWatch since this can feed you live stats regarding connection signal connection an quality - this may help you find a good spot. It will also let you manually set the LTE frequency band, which is not possible through the UI on the B311 if I recall correctly. Please note: sometimes the application stops updating, or at least I think it did on the B311 - a simple close and reopen of the program will suffice.

If you still have slow speeds and issues after relocating to an area with better signal strength and quality, then it may be because:
- You are connected to Band 20 (800 MHz, which is used for VoLTE on Three);
- Your area is subject to congestion.

In LTEWatch, you can force the frequency band to Band 3 (1800 MHz) - it may be worth giving this a try once you've moved it.

Something important to note with the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 is that the cable is pretty long (5m), and so any gains made will be lost through cable loss. If you are buying this antenna, you really have to be prepared to mount it externally otherwise it probably won't give an improvement because of the loss. In reality, if you don't want to go external, you'd probably be better off buying HAUNT-BL315 (or HUANT-W315, if you want white) antennas. Though, the B525 you've ordered has decent internal antennas anyway.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to