General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Tue 13-Aug-19 15:55:07
Print Post

Re: ob. BQM

[re: richi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richi:
This morning, after having moved the dongle yesterday:

My Broadband Ping

First thing, I was downloading several GB of software ISO at 50+ Mb/s. After about 2:30, I added a load more files to the online backup.

I've found when the connection is totally saturated it really struggles. Pages just fail to load but the downloads carry on just fine.

Lets assume you're using torrents and you're getting close to your limit on download you'll find stuff is fine. Add a load out outbound connections for upload and you'll notice issues.
Standard User richi
(member) Tue 13-Aug-19 19:26:56
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:
I've found when the connection is totally saturated it really struggles. Pages just fail to load but the downloads carry on just fine.
Me too, but no worse than with ADSL. That's just bufferbloat making acks time out.

My Billion router has a useful QoS feature, allowing me to tune the uplink bandwidth to 90% of actual, which prevented buffer saturation. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with an LTE dongle.

Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
(learned) Tue 13-Aug-19 21:50:56
Print Post

I've been away from adsl for such a long time with Virgin that I've never really had this issue.
My issue with setting up QOS is because I can get 100mb during the evenings and sometimes only 60 during the day it's hard to set up a % that wont be impacted too much.

I'll be load balancing it out to a 40mb standard line soon so I can keep that in reserve.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Aug-19 22:27:53
Print Post

I've been away from adsl for such a long time with Virgin that I've never really had this issue.

Its still a problem as Virgin's upload speeds are low. e.g. 100 down, 6 up, or 200 down, 10 up.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(member) Tue 13-Aug-19 22:59:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Virgin's 200mb package is now 20mb upload (at least for areas that can support it. So better, but still no cigar.
(learned) Wed 14-Aug-19 08:19:42
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Virgin's 200mb package is now 20mb upload (at least for areas that can support it. So better, but still no cigar.

I've moved from their 350 package which was 380-400 down and 30+ up.
I set limits so one machine could only take 370mb maximum and only upload at 28mb. This left 10mb+ for downloads and 2-5mb ish for uploads. I could be absolutely hammering the connection on one machine and no one would really notice.

That line was very stable speed test wise day or night.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 12:23:11
Print Post

My issue with setting up QOS is because I can get 100mb during the evenings and sometimes only 60 during the day it's hard to set up a % that wont be impacted too much.
Right on. I like A&A's approach of prioritising small packets, using separate QoS queues in the consumers' routers and the gateways.

Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 15:20:38
Print Post

In which I worry about my dongle

I'm still having intermittent disconnections. The Billion router's log implies that the USB dongle resets itself (but I'm not sure that's accurate).

The disconnections seem to come in waves. And I think it happens when the connection is working hard and has been for a while. All of which sounds to me like an overheating problem (the dongle can get pretty hot to the touch).

My plan is to keep usage light for the next day or twoŚlet's see if the disconnections stop, or at least slow down.

(learned) Wed 14-Aug-19 15:27:50
Print Post

Re: In which I move the router

In reply to a post by richi:
Without really trying, I get 50/20:

My Broadband Speed Test

Naturally, if I try to site the dongle where it "should" get a good signal, everything falls apart and I get results like 15/5. But when I put it back where I randomly dumped it when I moved the router, we're back at 50/20.

tl;dr: RF is weird.

I went to the extent of checking a line of sight map to see where in my attic I would get best reception. I worked out that one side of the attic I'd get an absolutely perfect view of the tower. Further into the attic I'd actually have a building blocking me by a bit.

Sure enough I set the antenna up in the attic on a small tripod just to test and get a great speed but 3/4 bars. I move the antenna to where was "clear" and get a brilliant 5 bar signal yet rubbish speed. It went from 50 down to 20 or so.

I then faffed around and installed the antenna further into the middle of the attic where signal shouldn't have been great and I'm getting 80-100mb quite happily with 4-5 bars of signal.

I've spent years playing with radios and have had very large antennas on very large towers with computer controlled rotators so I thought I knew what I was doing! Clearly not in this instance!

Fastest Speeds:

Plusnet = Waiting for connection
Three DL 65mb avg / 97.80mb peak UL 30.0mb avg / 32.9 peak
VM + 3 DL 400mb avg / 432.93mb peak UL 50.0mb avg / 76.82 peak
Virgin DL 380mb avg / 393.08mb peak UL 38.0mb avg / 38.31 peak
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 19:59:17
Print Post

Re: In which I worry about my dongle

I rarely have a day where the Three connection via my Mikrotik doesn't drop at least a couple of times. It is typically just for a couple of seconds though, so unless I check the logs I don't notice.

Some days it will drop dozens of times, again for a second or so and I very rarely notice that it was down.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to