General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Aesmith2
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 10:17:40
Print Post

4G / LTE signal strength around the seasons

[link to this post]

Hi,
Looking at my statistics I can see that RSRP has slowly reduced from -79dB to -84dB over the four months that I've had the service installed. The kit is in my loft space so a bit fiddly to access, so before I do that I thought it worth asking if you'd expect to see any seasonal variation in signal strength. For example is it affected by temperature, day length, or anything?

Thanks, Tony S
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 12-Aug-19 10:55:28
Print Post

Re: 4G / LTE signal strength around the seasons

[re: Aesmith2] [link to this post]

If there are deciduous trees between you and the mast it is quite possibly the effect of leaves.
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Mon 12-Aug-19 12:49:13
Print Post

[re: Aesmith2] [link to this post]

Mine has shifted the other direction in the same period.

https://toop.microsign.co.uk/fud/lte/localdomain/loc...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Mon 12-Aug-19 12:51:43
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

And it varies every 24 hour period, the SINR is better overnight, presumably because there are just less active devices or other interferance.

https://toop.microsign.co.uk/fud/lte/localdomain/loc...
Standard User Aesmith2
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 13:06:45
Print Post

Thanks. It's only RSRP that's reduced over the period for some reason. SINR and RSRQ have stayed around the same level, varying but not showing any trend of that time. I need to check out the tree question. My first thought is that it wouldn't apply, but since the ground rises to the N of our property maybe the trees there might be high enough to intrude into the line of sight.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-19 13:15:07
Print Post

The reason for better SINR at night is because the large yellow looking broad spectrum white noise generator that is visible in the sky when there are no clouds is being shielded by the earth.

As for the original poster, lofts are brutal environments for electronics. On a sunny summer day the temperature can easily exceed more than 50°C and the added thermal noise in the electronics is likely to lower the SNIR. I would go for something mounted outside myself.
  Print Thread

Jump to