General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(regular) Tue 13-Aug-19 22:18:34
Print Post

Re: Any alternatives to Three who also offer Unlimited Data?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers. That is useful to know.

So there is no technical difference that would make me choose one over the other for broadband-only purposes if I am using all my own kit. I assume latency and broadband speed would be the same regardless of which APN was configured, I hope?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Aug-19 23:13:53
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Hard to say.

I haven't yet had chance to delve deeply into the two APNs, but I suspect there is a difference. Only shown up by speed of rendering of web pages. Speed tests and latency figures that come with them don't seem to be much different however.

I think you need to see what others think on that, as it's my subjective view from a few things happening here. I won't describe them until I see some other opinions, as I don't want to create a bias right at the start.

Having said that, if you are worrying about latency, for instance if you do a lot of latency-sensitive gaming, then forget mobile broadband. I find it very variable on both APNs. But I don't do any gaming at all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User gary333
(member) Tue 13-Aug-19 23:29:03
Print Post

Phones use the APN: three.co.uk and mobile routers should use the APN 3internet however you can use either/or regardless of which sim type you have purchased. Phones usually come pre-programmed to recognise three.co.uk as the correct APN (not sure why Robert's phone is trying Ireland) however this tallys with what I have seen when fiddling that three's system doesn't pay any attention to the APN and whatever you put just goes through as if a mobile device. It's only when the name or APN states 3internet do you get routed by different means.

I use 3internet APN with my Smarty sim and it works exactly the same as if I was connecting via a landline connection i.e. no adult content is blocked, you can use a VPN and all websites appear correctly and do not display the mobile versions.

Edited by gary333 (Tue 13-Aug-19 23:33:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Aug-19 00:42:01
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I did not buy a ďThreeĒ phone with the relevant SIM. Mine is a few years old now Huawei P10 Lite and previously had an EE SIM. it would not be connecting to the 3ireland.ie then wink.

I did have a clerical error in my previous post however. On the router GUI the other APN seems to be named 3internet. I was only looking at what the two names were on the phone, as it was in my hand where it is easy to look at the relevant menu. This time Iím using my iPad so can only look at the router GUI.

I donít understand what you are talking about in a lot of your post, but I am sure that although Smarty uses the Three network there will be configuration differences between the two. As with any MVNO. It wonít be relevant to the question.

As for the adult content bit, that a totally different question if you are on Smarty not 3 direct.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Aug-19 00:43:42)

Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 09:22:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My point was that you can type whatever you want in the APN field whilst on three (or Smarty) and it will work. Thus why even with a 3 Ireland APN in there it will still work fine. Whatever you type in the field you get the equivalent access/service as you would by typing three.co.uk in to the APN field.

The APN field has no bearing on the access unless the APN field states 3internet. Then you are routed differently within their internal network and as a result of this you get a slightly lower ping time, no adult blocking filter, no messing with traffic (well at least to the extent of the standard service) and crucially for some you appear to get a public IP address.

Edited by gary333 (Wed 14-Aug-19 09:24:14)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 14-Aug-19 10:00:10
Print Post

It actually occurs to me that the SXT is a router all in itself, running a full RouterOS. You just need a switch and some WiFi access points.
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Wed 14-Aug-19 10:05:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
My point was that you can type whatever you want in the APN field whilst on three (or Smarty) and it will work. Thus why even with a 3 Ireland APN in there it will still work fine. Whatever you type in the field you get the equivalent access/service as you would by typing three.co.uk in to the APN field.

The APN field has no bearing on the access unless the APN field states 3internet. Then you are routed differently within their internal network and as a result of this you get a slightly lower ping time, no adult blocking filter, no messing with traffic (well at least to the extent of the standard service) and crucially for some you appear to get a public IP address.

I have the same routing to all sites I've tried and the same level of filtering on "adult" or questionable sites
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 10:25:14
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:

I have the same routing to all sites I've tried and the same level of filtering on "adult" or questionable sites

When trying the three.co.uk APN and 3internet APN separately?

This behaviour is present on the mobile handset I tested this on with both a mobile data sim and a standard 3-2-1 sim (in that on three.co.uk APN adult sites are blocked, you get an internal not public IP address, and the routing is slower (ping increased from c.40ms to c.50ms on speed tests). As above you could put something completely different to three.co.uk in the APN field and get the same experience, it's only when putting 3internet in was the route and experience different.

It's possible that this only applies to mobile handsets (the APN differences), and even more possible that the APN field is mute completely for data devices such as modems as they are clearly identified to the networks when connecting.
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Wed 14-Aug-19 10:28:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:

When trying the three.co.uk APN and 3internet APN separately?

This behaviour is present on the mobile handset I tested this on with both a mobile data sim and a standard 3-2-1 sim (in that on three.co.uk APN adult sites are blocked, you get an internal not public IP address, and the routing is slower (ping increased from c.40ms to c.50ms on speed tests). As above you could put something completely different to three.co.uk in the APN field and get the same experience, it's only when putting 3internet in was the route and experience different.

It's possible that this only applies to mobile handsets (the APN differences), and even more possible that the APN field is mute completely for data devices such as modems as they are clearly identified to the networks when connecting.

I've tried the sim in my handset and a modem. I have 3 contracts with three. one unlimited data but all are data AND calls.
I've tried swapping three.co.uk / 3internet and at the moment my B612 modem is set to 3internet out of the box and it has normal content filtering in place.
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 10:43:42
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

Will update later today smile

Edited by gary333 (Wed 14-Aug-19 11:16:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to