General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 14-Aug-19 11:12:18
Print Post

Re: Any alternatives to Three who also offer Unlimited Data?

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I get adult filtering enabled with either APN. Also, I actually see 10ms _slower_ ping times on 3internet compared to three.co.uk
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 15-Aug-19 10:45:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
Do you know if the Mkrotik 4g kit happens to support carrier aggregation?

It does not, it has their own R11e LTE card installed, but this can be swapped out with a number of Sierra and Huawei LTE cards with do support CA
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 16-Aug-19 08:49:01
Print Post

I've tested both official APNs. I see no difference in latency, speed-test throughput, nor any change in blocking behaviour. I've not studied the routing used.

The only difference I've noticed is many more dropped pings using three.co.uk. I've not noticed any problems with packet-loss in normal use, so I guess this is an ICMP deprioritising setting somewhere.

Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kommando
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-19 16:08:40
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

I have tried both APN's and did get a 10ms better ping with 3internet in a B525.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sat 17-Aug-19 19:54:47
Print Post

I couldn't activate mine through the site so started a chat session to activate, they offered a free upgrade to unlimited data for 1 Month. This could be a standard offer, so well worth trying if looking for short-term data or doing loads of speed tests
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-20 14:56:41
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Is the R11e-Lte card swap an easy to do thing and is there a guide to do that pleasE?
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Wed 05-Feb-20 15:34:36
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Virgin Mobile piggybacks EE, as for unlimited plans they are locked at 999 GB, called fair usage policy.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit Hub3 - Gigabit routers - Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.

Edited by bigluap (Wed 05-Feb-20 15:39:39)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 05-Feb-20 15:38:07
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

Unless you already have a SXT LTE 4G I would recommend just getting the SXT LTE6 kit which is newer and can do according to the specs 300/50Mbps with carrier aggregation. However it is still limited with a 100Mbps ethernet port. However as I said previously if you are having to resort to this for your internet connection, you are most likely to be chuffed to bits with a 100/50Mbps internet connection.

I would also note that Mikrotik now offer a R11e-LTE6 modem which is presumably what the SX LTE6 kit comes with and would likely turn a previous SXT into the latest version. I would suggest asking on the Mikrotik forums for advice.

Edited by jabuzzard (Wed 05-Feb-20 15:41:04)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Feb-20 16:56:28
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigluap:
Virgin Mobile piggybacks EE, as for unlimited plans they are locked at 999 GB, called fair usage policy.

And VM have announced they are switching to Vodafone as their host network during 2020.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-20 12:27:47
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Thanks mate, the price point didnt make much difference, so I have ordered the sxt-lte6 kit. I fail to understand why not put a Gig ports in a device which has a 300M modem. I understand that the full speed is never achievable but, i can easily see 120M download on my mobile due to CA.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to