General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 09:56:22
Print Post

EE unlimited data

[link to this post]

SIM only starting £34/m have asked about the 4G EE Home service as not showing on that.

Obviously will be a news item later, but lots to get done first.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-19 10:14:16
Print Post

Re: EE unlimited data

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 11:03:24
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

And our link https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8514-ee-now-has-... now that other things that needed to be done are done.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(regular) Wed 28-Aug-19 12:59:14
Print Post

I am hugely grateful for this offer being pointed out.

I had JUST signed up for a 200Gb for £40 on a one month contract. I am still in my "cooling off" period and a quick phone call to the local EE store confirmed that I am welcome to change the SIM for the Unlimited for £34 for 12 months one.
Standard User kommando
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-19 18:29:25
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Some not so nice T&C's

Max DL speed 60 M

Max connected devices 12

Max DL 1000 gig a month
(regular) Wed 28-Aug-19 19:07:24
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

Not quite...

Nowhere do they say the Max DL speed is 60M. I agree they do say "speeds of up to 60Mbps" which is probably to show the typical speeds their customers are likely to receive.

When you click from the link on the main page it states..

"With our new unlimited plans, you can enjoy all the 4G or 5G data you want with uncapped speeds."

The Max Connected Devices limit is because it is a Domestic plan rather than a Business one. That is to limit internet cafes and game hubs from using it as a commercial SIM.

As for the 1000Gb a month - that is roughly what you might use if a single person downloaded a standard Netflix video all day and night, every day for a whole month without pausing to sleep or eat. Again, they are trying to define typical Domestic use. Even SMARTY have the same stipulation on the Three contract they offer.

Business customers are requested to come and talk about a tailored deal.

So, for those of us struggling on a long rural landline, this is a very nice deal with no "not so nice" T&Cs.
Standard User kommando
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 10:50:41
Print Post

Having been on the wrong end of BT's written and unwritten conditions this should be the last resort but if you are having to rely on a long ADSL line and EE are the only 4G then go ahead. They are no doubt trying to protect their landlines. Vodafone seem to have a soft limit thats lifted when you ask of 3TB a month, Three just do not seem to bother based on what I DL, so I would take these in preference if available. I would fail on the 12 connected devices, have too many tablets, TV's, z wave devices bridged routers etc to worth the risk.
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-19 12:38:48
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

Having tried a load of SIMs, both Three and Vodaphone had no usable signal where I am. O2 was passable but they had no high-usage data SIM. EE had moderate signal and my usage will max out at about 200Gb a month so it did seem a good fit.

I may be mistaken but I think if you look at the Tethering limit of 12, that is probably the number of devices directly sharing the link at the modem but that devices coming off a router will only be counted as the router itself despite being wired or wireless.
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 17:50:59
Print Post

About this 12 connections limit - does this mean if I put the SIM in my b525, only 12 connected devices will work? What happens if more are connected? How does this work?

What if I connected an access point to the b525 with Ethernet, and connected everything to that, would EE see it as one device?

Would like to switch from Three, as the speeds on EE are double. But our family have more than 12 devices. More like 30!
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Thu 29-Aug-19 18:25:43
Print Post

[re: autopilot] [link to this post]

EE have no way of knowing how many devices there are behind your router.
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 18:28:19
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Is that the case when devices are connected to the router the sim is in?

I’m confused as to what this limit actually limits!
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:18:42
Print Post

[re: autopilot] [link to this post]

If you were to put the SIM in a phone and "tether" multiple devices to the phone, EE would soon assume you were running a business such as a game hub.

If you the SIM in a router (such as the B525) and have a household full of wireless gadgets and a few computers, EE would only see the one device... the router.
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:34:13
Print Post

Ok, so the limit just applies to tethering from a phone, got it.

Still slightly confused, as I thought a phone was acting as a router when tethering, but at least I wouldn’t have issues changing from Three to EE with my b525.

Thanks.
Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:39:36
Print Post

I take it you paid the upfront cost for the Router ? To get the 30 day contract.

I need to call them fast then if thats the case. as i'm on the same plan.
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:59:56
Print Post

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

I went in on Saturday 24th, before the Unlimited SIM was announced and paid the £40/m for 200Gb plus the upfront router cost since I wanted the one month contract. Because I was intending to use my own outdoor kit the manager offered to reduce the up front cost of the router somewhat which was handy.

Then yesterday (28th) the new SIM offer came out. I phoned the store and the same staff member agreed to do the SIM swap if I came in. He added the new SIM at £34/m for Unlimited which took a while as it was too new to be on the shop system yet. He then took off the 200Gb SIM via a call to the Cancellations team.

The only downside was that I did have to pay the first month of the 200Gb SIM as well as the new Unlimited SIM but I did get to keep the modem.

This actually worked out rather handily since I am now allowing my neighbour to use the 200Gb SIM and modem for a short while to show him what he would gain if he too ditched the FTTC connection with the same terrible speed that I used to get.
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:28:12
Print Post

Can anyone confirm the minimum contract length? I'm assuming 12 months but I can't seem to find that info anywhere?

Just this week I have purchased a 4G router (Tp-link MR6400) and a 3 unlimited data sim which is £24 per month having given up on FTTP for now...

The 3 sim seems to get a download speed of roughly 15mb/s, however my mobile which is with EE gets ~ 70mb/s and shows it connecting to 4G+...is there any reason this sim wouldn't connect at this speed (or 60mb/s if this is in fact the cap)?
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:19:31
Print Post

[re: RomaN] [link to this post]

It is 12 months, yes.

I can't comment on the maximum download speed but the 60Mpbs they mention is likely to be a typical speed because they do stress "uncapped speeds" on the advert for the SIM.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:30:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by RomaN:
The 3 sim seems to get a download speed of roughly 15mb/s, however my mobile which is with EE gets ~ 70mb/s and shows it connecting to 4G+...is there any reason this sim wouldn't connect at this speed (or 60mb/s if this is in fact the cap)?

This chart shows the 4G spectrum for most of the operators, missing out O2's additional 2300 they gained in 2018:
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

You can see visually why speeds differ between networks, and spectrum is just ONE of many variables.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:39:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Interestingly I've just run off a speed test using the 4G on my phone and got ~ 70mb/s...I then had a brainwave and put the sim in the router and then ran off a speedtest via the laptop (wired to the router) and got between 17mb/s and 29mb/s.

I'm not sure why they would differ quite so much - the devices were in the same places, however without the increase I'm better off sticking with 3 at the lower speed and lower price.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 20:03:46
Print Post

I'm not sure why they would differ quite so much - the devices were in the same places, however without the increase I'm better off sticking with 3 at the lower speed and lower price.

Most likely your phone is a much higher category of 4G support than the router.

It is sad that most of the routers available to buy are LTE category (CAT) 4 at best (150mbps speed), which is equivalent to a phone from 2015 or earlier. First generation 4G phones.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Sep-19 11:35:29
Print Post

Hmm my phone is from 2015, S8+ so that might explain why my top speeds seem to go around 150mb when I am in a good location on EE 4g. Think I have had up to about 175 though. Wonder what I will get when I upgrade next April and start looking at 5g instead. Probably end up with less with my luck!

Hopefully by then there are some really good 5g routers around that will give better performance than a phone, not worse. Otherwise I will not be ditching my landline for 5g.

Also looking at switching to Three instead of EE (for phone and home broadband if I can get the signal) due to the huge chunk of 5g spectrum they have which should mean Three are to 5g what EE currently are to 4g, maybe even more if they get it right.

Edited by Ewok (Sun 01-Sep-19 11:36:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Sep-19 11:47:43
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

A slight problem with 5G phones is that the best for signal handling is likely to be Huawei, but they are unlikely to have Android. Unless Trump loses in November 2020.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ewok:
Wonder what I will get when I upgrade next April and start looking at 5g instead. Probably end up with less with my luck!

5G is in very early days. Current chipsets are version 1. There is a lot of development happening, and I'm going to wait for a while. Same thing happened with 4G, the first chipsets were very different to what we have today.

Qualcomm and Huawei seem to be the chipset vendors to watch.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:14:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A slight problem with 5G phones is that the best for signal handling is likely to be Huawei, but they are unlikely to have Android. Unless Trump loses in November 2020.

Qualcomm modem chips are also good. Apple are going back (after paying up!) to Qualcomm for 5G, but this years models won't be 5G from Apple, looking at around Sept 2020.

On Huawei, this is relevant:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/29/huawei_ditc...

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:27:33
Print Post

yeah I wouldn't get Huawei, It'll probably be an S11+ unless there is something clearly better at the time. That should be 2nd generation of 5g chips plus a lot more chance of getting a signal by then (next April).

I am trying to use cellmapper at the moment to see 4g masts around me and judge what provider is best, I can't see many masts at all unless I am doing it wrong. I am sure there are a bunch of masts on top of the post office at the end of the road but nothing is showing up there on any provider I have selected. I am just looking for a way to judge which 4g provider is going to be best and use the same method for 5g in a few months so I don't need to try every provider just to find the best one (and so I can see if there are ANY 5g masts nearby that would be worth trying because lets face it the providers signal maps are just useless).
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:43:02
Print Post

I am trying to use cellmapper at the moment to see 4g masts around me and judge what provider is best, I can't see many masts at all unless I am doing it wrong. I am sure there are a bunch of masts on top of the post office at the end of the road but nothing is showing up there on any provider I have selected. I am just looking for a way to judge which 4g provider is going to be best and use the same method for 5g in a few months so I don't need to try every provider just to find the best one (and so I can see if there are ANY 5g masts nearby that would be worth trying because lets face it the providers signal maps are just useless).

Your phone can only connect to masts of the network SIM that is in the phone. So if you have an EE SIM, Cellmapper will only show you EE masts. Change to a Vodafone SIM and cellmapper shows Vodafone masts.

Get some £1 payg SIM's from whsmith/shell petrol stations etc, assuming your phone is unlocked. Or get a second phone from CEX etc. smile

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Sep-19 13:05:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Your phone can only connect to masts of the network SIM that is in the phone. So if you have an EE SIM, Cellmapper will only show you EE masts. Change to a Vodafone SIM and cellmapper shows Vodafone masts.

Get some £1 payg SIM's from whsmith/shell petrol stations etc, assuming your phone is unlocked. Or get a second phone from CEX etc. smile

Na that's not right, I can see sites listed on o2, three and voda now, just further away than I was looking! It looks like the one at the end of the road is a vodaphone one. If this app is right and isn't missing a bunch of masts, I am surprised I can get 135mb on EE from the window I am sitting at because there are no masts at all showing in that direction (and its mostly a forest/golf course), the masts it shows are on the other side of the building at the other window....where I only get about 90. Odd.

Tried another app called network cell info and what I think it is suggesting (judging by the line going from my location to a mast symbol) is I am connected to a mast somewhere over the other side of the golf course but it seems to be just guessing the location as it moves to 3 different positions, none of which show anything at all on the cellmapper app near those locations (on ANY provider).

Probably have to get a bunch of sims, I don't think these apps work very well. If EE is the best around here then grabbing that unlimited contract might be worth it, its faster than my fibre which only hits 50mb. The problem is speed tests need data, and data on payg costs a lot if you wanna test 3 other providers! urgh.

Edited by Ewok (Sun 01-Sep-19 13:07:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 13:53:51
Print Post

Na that's not right, I can see sites listed on o2, three and voda now, just further away than I was looking!

The map will show you any you network details you select. You might find it easier to use on a PC with a big screen (https://www.cellmapper.net/map) and you can choose the network and band (frequency) on the left side drop down. The capture information (that updates the map) only works for the network your SIM is from. (or host MNO if you're using an MVNO).

It looks like the one at the end of the road is a vodaphone one. If this app is right and isn't missing a bunch of masts, I am surprised I can get 135mb on EE from the window I am sitting at because there are no masts at all showing in that direction (and its mostly a forest/golf course), the masts it shows are on the other side of the building at the other window....where I only get about 90. Odd.

Its a crowd sourced app. It can only show what other people have detected.

If you let us know your general town name/road name, others can look on the web and let you know if they think its sufficient information to use to make choices.

It is possible to have "RF reflections" and all sorts of complicated things happen with radio frequency transmission. People planning cellular networks have PhD's in radio communications!

Standard User RomaN
(regular) Wed 04-Sep-19 12:16:14
Print Post

So.....played around with the location of the router and found an area of the house giving consistently good 4G speeds with EE (for me this is 40+mbps).

New £34pm sim ordered on Sunday...happy days as I got a 10% discount knocking the cost per month down to £30.60.

Arrived just now and boom! Can't belive 10 days ago we were seemingly stuck on ~3mbps copper wire.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-19 17:30:20
Print Post

not sure if thats entirely correct - the ISP can make out from the headers being sent out by the various devices? Plus fingerprinting techniques.
One way to avoid this is to have a permanent VPN on - as mentioned here -https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/177040/...
Standard User clivers
(regular) Wed 04-Sep-19 18:20:15
Print Post

It will be interesting if they detect you are not using a phone and block or warn you. I have read pages of the terms and it does specifically mention a mobile phone (You’ll need 3G,4G or 5G coverage to use mobile internet on your phone and a compatible device)
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Wed 04-Sep-19 19:02:07
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was we were now free to use our data how we wished?

Interested to hear responses as this could snooker me.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-19 12:51:31
Print Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was we were now free to use our data how we wished?

Interested to hear responses as this could snooker me.
Yes legally they can't block this now.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to