General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:29:21
Print Post

Three packet loss

[link to this post]

I wondered if anyone else has seen big packet loss on the three network? I have tried various routers including Huawei B525 and have even noticed the same from a different location. I am lucky that I get good 4g coverage on all the major networks so currently using Vodafone unlimited with no problems but three/smarty would save me some money each month and their download speeds are better than any.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Aug-19 02:03:31
Print Post

Re: Three packet loss

[re: bluecat1] [link to this post]

How are you detecting this packet loss?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 06:39:21
Print Post

I rarely see any significant packet loss on my Three connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 08:25:54
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

If I run a simple ping test to 8.8.8.8 I see loads of drops i.e. no response, often for a few seconds at a time, if I am streaming music for example it will just keep cutting out. Using a SIM from any of the other networks I don't see this loss
Standard User justwill
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 09:17:06
Print Post

I to have seen packet loss. I have a pfsense gateway with FTTC at 13mbps frown with a SMARTY SIM. I did previously have a connection with virgin media. That was fine with next to no dropped packets.

I just thought three were limiting the account of ping packets as most of the downloads and video streaming seems to be ok.

I've only had the new SIM for a month now. On 3G I would see around 30-40% dropped but on 4G it is about 10% but 4G is slower sometimes.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Aug-19 10:35:35
Print Post

[re: justwill] [link to this post]

Sounds like both of you are on Smarty SIMs, not direct Three?

You cannot necessarily compare the delivery characteristics of a vISP with a true one. On any internet connection. Mobile or landline.

It depends entirely on what the contract between them is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User justwill
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 15:07:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, that is what I thought might have been happening for me. Today my loss rate is down below 10% at 20mbps.

I have found using 3internet as my APN gives a better connection. The settings that SMARTY use are giving high packet loss rates. Switched APN over to SMARTY's and loss rate shot up to ~40% today. Might be worth trying 3internet if you are on a SMARTY SIM.
Standard User vila
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 15:43:43
Print Post

[re: justwill] [link to this post]

Yup, Im getting packet loss as well. Also getting intermittent latency problems. Laos using pfsense and a three sim with 3internet APN.

My 'guess' as this has been very stable in the past is the 5G rollout, I suppose we'll see. If anyone wants any specific info just ask.

Cheers
Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 16:01:07
Print Post

Ah, I wonder if this explains why I cannot get a steady feed from my remote CCTV, yet across O2 network it's fine. Even though I'm getting 30mb/sec down from Smarty, and only 12mb/sec on O2.
Standard User vila
(newbie) Sat 31-Aug-19 11:08:24
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Does anyone else monitor their connection? You can go to here

This is a link to my connection. I have a good 'stable' 4G connection but as you can see a terrible latency and packet dropping situation.

My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to