General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:29:21
Print Post

Three packet loss

[link to this post]

I wondered if anyone else has seen big packet loss on the three network? I have tried various routers including Huawei B525 and have even noticed the same from a different location. I am lucky that I get good 4g coverage on all the major networks so currently using Vodafone unlimited with no problems but three/smarty would save me some money each month and their download speeds are better than any.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Aug-19 02:03:31
Print Post

Re: Three packet loss

[re: bluecat1] [link to this post]

How are you detecting this packet loss?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 06:39:21
Print Post

I rarely see any significant packet loss on my Three connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 08:25:54
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

If I run a simple ping test to 8.8.8.8 I see loads of drops i.e. no response, often for a few seconds at a time, if I am streaming music for example it will just keep cutting out. Using a SIM from any of the other networks I don't see this loss
Standard User justwill
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 09:17:06
Print Post

I to have seen packet loss. I have a pfsense gateway with FTTC at 13mbps frown with a SMARTY SIM. I did previously have a connection with virgin media. That was fine with next to no dropped packets.

I just thought three were limiting the account of ping packets as most of the downloads and video streaming seems to be ok.

I've only had the new SIM for a month now. On 3G I would see around 30-40% dropped but on 4G it is about 10% but 4G is slower sometimes.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Aug-19 10:35:35
Print Post

[re: justwill] [link to this post]

Sounds like both of you are on Smarty SIMs, not direct Three?

You cannot necessarily compare the delivery characteristics of a vISP with a true one. On any internet connection. Mobile or landline.

It depends entirely on what the contract between them is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User justwill
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 15:07:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, that is what I thought might have been happening for me. Today my loss rate is down below 10% at 20mbps.

I have found using 3internet as my APN gives a better connection. The settings that SMARTY use are giving high packet loss rates. Switched APN over to SMARTY's and loss rate shot up to ~40% today. Might be worth trying 3internet if you are on a SMARTY SIM.
Standard User vila
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 15:43:43
Print Post

[re: justwill] [link to this post]

Yup, Im getting packet loss as well. Also getting intermittent latency problems. Laos using pfsense and a three sim with 3internet APN.

My 'guess' as this has been very stable in the past is the 5G rollout, I suppose we'll see. If anyone wants any specific info just ask.

Cheers
Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 30-Aug-19 16:01:07
Print Post

Ah, I wonder if this explains why I cannot get a steady feed from my remote CCTV, yet across O2 network it's fine. Even though I'm getting 30mb/sec down from Smarty, and only 12mb/sec on O2.
Standard User vila
(newbie) Sat 31-Aug-19 11:08:24
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Does anyone else monitor their connection? You can go to here

This is a link to my connection. I have a good 'stable' 4G connection but as you can see a terrible latency and packet dropping situation.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-19 09:55:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sounds like both of you are on Smarty SIMs, not direct Three?

You cannot necessarily compare the delivery characteristics of a vISP with a true one. On any internet connection. Mobile or landline.

It depends entirely on what the contract between them is.

Seems like you were right about this at least in my case. I have got hold of a three sim and get significantly less packet loss compared to the smarty one, in fact it looks even better than my vodafone connection so I think I will be moving my contract to three as they are cheaper and speeds are better than on voda.

Thanks for the advice
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to