General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-19 19:06:44
Print Post

Re: B612 speed limited? - any faster 4G modems?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes, I was just joking about the electricity. Both my Three connections slow down noticeably in heavy rain.

smile

I believe its attenuating the signal, so you just need more signal to your cellular modem. An external antenna for example.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 06-Sep-19 19:07:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Sep-19 19:08:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

With an umbrella over it?

OK for the B311, a bit inconvenient for my mobile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 06-Sep-19 19:09:36)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-19 19:17:50
Print Post

With an umbrella over it?

As the best Amstrad Satellite dishes had in the 1980s !! smile

OK for the B311, a bit inconvenient for my mobile.

Ahh, but that's meant to be mobile, not fixed at home. Perhaps WiFi calling to the signal from the B311 if handset compatible.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Sep-19 19:47:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Perhaps WiFi calling to the signal from the B311 if handset compatible.
Actually, that's something I hadn't thought of. In bad weather my mobile can be unreliable downstairs but the B311 upstairs seems OK. I shall look into it later or tomorrow.

The phone (Huawei P10 Lite) does have a setting "WiFi calling" so I shall give it a try. Apparently it connects through the strongest signal.

I often have it with WiFi data on as that takes precedence over its own when I'm in the house. I use that mainly because it saves battery hours.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(regular) Fri 06-Sep-19 21:19:09
Print Post

Remember that with Wifi Calling, if you start a call on wifi, it will stay on wifi for the full call. You cna't take a call over wifi, run outside and grab your keys and hare off down the road. It will drop when it gets out of wifi range.

In addition, you may want to look at QoS settings on your router when wifi calling. My ASUS AC86U on the Merlin firmware has the iPhone as Highest priority and the wired computers next. If I am watching a video or downloading from Steam when a call comes in, QoS shoulders the PC aside and lets the iPhone through to the top of the queue.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-19 21:29:21
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DanielCoffey67:
Remember that with Wifi Calling, if you start a call on wifi, it will stay on wifi for the full call. You cna't take a call over wifi, run outside and grab your keys and hare off down the road. It will drop when it gets out of wifi range.

Actually this works on EE as calls transfer from WiFi calling to VoLTE assuming 4G signal outdoors.

Because Three doesn’t have VoLTE on band 3, this doesn’t work in most areas. Not sure Three have even attempted to implement this yet.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Sep-19 22:39:55
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Thanks Daniel smile. But there's just me, with one computer at a time unless I'm watching Formula 1 on Now TV on my laptop with the F1 App on my iPad showing the live timing screen.

I can't recall that situation you describe having ever occurred, of me dashing out while on the phone. Especially when the weather is as bad as we are discussing smile. But I'm a long-retired git.

I don't think the B311 has QoS anyway.

I continue however to be quite chuffed at seemingly have triggered this whole idea of ditching the landline altogether at the end of last year. Though a lot of more recent stuff is also involving load-balancing and fallback.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 11:38:41
Print Post

I continue however to be quite chuffed at seemingly have triggered this whole idea of ditching the landline altogether at the end of last year. Though a lot of more recent stuff is also involving load-balancing and fallback.

It is a great idea! Similar to the US where my family have cable internet and cellular phones. (cable firms in US don't sell traditional phone services, some now do VoIP options).

I was tempted, but my Three signal gives a download best at 18mbps, and upload at 2mbps. EE and Vodafone are faster, but more expensive. I'll stick with my FTTC/VDSL for now.

Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Sun 08-Sep-19 21:59:58
Print Post

Wow plenty of rambling but that's cool.
No, the cell was seemingly more congested. I have direct line of sight to the tower at just under half a km - well, apart from my roof.

I'd say my signal is quite adequate
RSSP: 73/ 75
RSSI : -51.. never fluctuates
RSRQ: -4 / -6
S|NR: 17db

Just hit a peak off 119mb down and 44mb up on the mobile connection alone which isn't too shabby.

The reason I guess it's congestion is the cell controls when its on 4G+ as most of the time it sits at 4G despite me telling ti to aggregate the channels. Only when it requests data at above 60mb will it flick into life. I've manually throttled connections to test this. Once it goes over it changes modes and then ramps up again.

When it was flickering 4g+ and off it was still hitting around 95mb which tells me signal is fine considering the theoretical max.

I decided I'd keep the 715 as it was only £170 and at leas this is more future proof.
It's also nice to see a load balanced connection of 150mb down and 50 up considering the best that my neighbors have ranges from 30-35.

My connection history:
Plusnet = Waiting for connection
Three DL 65mb avg / 97.80mb peak UL 30.0mb avg / 32.9 peak
VM + 3 DL 400mb avg / 432.93mb peak UL 50.0mb avg / 76.82 peak
Virgin DL 380mb avg / 393.08mb peak UL 38.0mb avg / 38.31 peak
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Mon 09-Sep-19 07:35:40
Print Post

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

Well its absolutely tipping down with rain at the moment and I'm still getting 120-125mb from the 4G alone with 4G+ displaying.

RSSP: 74/75
RSSI : -51.. never fluctuates
RSRQ: -4 / -7
S|NR: 20db

My connection history:
Plusnet = Waiting for connection
Three DL 65mb avg / 97.80mb peak UL 30.0mb avg / 32.9 peak
VM + 3 DL 400mb avg / 432.93mb peak UL 50.0mb avg / 76.82 peak
Virgin DL 380mb avg / 393.08mb peak UL 38.0mb avg / 38.31 peak
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to