General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 09-Sep-19 22:29:56
Print Post

Re: B612 speed limited? - any faster 4G modems?

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:
In reply to a post by gary333:
Three appear to have some complicated logic going on that gives certain traffic 4G+ speeds at certain times of the day / or certain utilisation thresholds.

For example right now using speedtest.net, fast.com or thinkbroadband test files I cannot get 4G+ to come on.

Go to youtube (on same machine) and select a 4k stream, 4G+ comes straight on.

Tried this about 20 times to try and see any link.

However, now is probably peak time (i'm getting speed within a single speed test bouncing from 5mb - 25mb).

Repeat the tests above later at night and everything flips in to 4G+ mode. One thing I see is that 4G+ only stays on for burst, it's never on constantly even when massive downloads are happening.

I tested this and it seems to be happening for me too. Youtube would get 4g+, actual downloads would get 4g+ but speedtests would not.
Exactly 9pm hits and I can get 4g+ on speedtests... odd!

It is odd behaviour so assuming it must be intentional. I've tried even now at this time and only getting 4G+ with You Tube, and browsing some websites. Speedtest.net has popped in to 4g+ only once in ten tries, and fast.com hasn't enetered 4g+ once.

For some reason Monday's here always give the worst speeds even compared to the weekend so maybe this is a way of them balancing traffic or maybe it's something to do with the protocols being used by you tube and websites. No idea. Interesting never the less smile
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Sep-19 09:52:25
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

What does it do when using a vpn?
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(learned) Tue 10-Sep-19 12:15:19
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ewok:
What does it do when using a vpn?

I'll check again later this evening but all of the normal speed test sites at the moment are kicking 4G+ to display after a few seconds. It basically ramps up to ~80 and then 4g+ shows and the speedtest kicks up faster. Also using the LTEinspecteur app it shows the same sort of speeds then you can see in the signal graphs it's "doing something".

I'll check this evening if it does anything odd and hop onto a vpn or two to check.

Balanced = ~145. DOWN / 50.0 UP
PlusNet = 33.5 DOWN / 10.0 UP
Three = 120.0 DOWN / 40.0 UP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to