General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mike260
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 21:11:19
Print Post

4g home broadband connecting to Sky Q Mini box

[link to this post]

I have just bought 4g Broadband from 3 and it works great, But while I can connect my main Sky Q Box to the router wirelessly the mini box will not connect and tells me the router is not issuing an IP Address.

Having spoken to Sky Tech Support I finaly found that although the main Q box works on a 4g connection the mini box does not. Effectively I was told to go away and speak to my internet provider because the mini box wants a dynamic IP address but wont accept it from a 4g source as the data stream isn't quite right.

Any suggestions how I can overcome this. It's the only way I can get a decent internet speed.

Currently the Router is a Huawei 4g Router Lite Model B311s-220.
Standard User onthenet
(member) Mon 16-Sep-19 21:56:25
Print Post

Re: 4g home broadband connecting to Sky Q Mini box

[re: Mike260] [link to this post]

The Sky Mini box doesnít need to connect to the 3 Router, it should connect to the main Sky Q box (which does need to be connected to the 3 network).

Assuming the main Q box is connected to the network and turned on, press the WPS button on the front of the main Q box and then press the WPS button on the front of the Q mini box,

The mini should then connect to the main Q box.

Three 4G 100/30 Mbps
Standard User Mike260
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 22:28:50
Print Post

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

Sadly it does not I have successfully connected the main Q box to the router wirelessly but the Mini box will not link up. THe error report is failed to obtain an IP Address. Sky tech support say that the mini box is incompatable. I'm no expert just a iuser but if one works surely the other should too.
I have has this self same issue before the last time I changed the router even though it was on the same provider and ADSL.
I'm worried if I book an engineers visit they might take the incompatable card and charge me for the visit. SO I need to be sure that the Mini Q Box is not incompatable with the signal coming from the router and causing the issue,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 22:47:14
Print Post

I have 4g and I have no problem with my mini box connecting to the sky q box.
Standard User Mike260
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 22:56:17
Print Post

[re: Biglee5555] [link to this post]

Thank you for that information. One question do you also have a second mini box connected as well?
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 23:02:45
Print Post

Yes I have three mini boxes connected, I do remember having to reset everything when I first had 4g with three but I canít remember if it was the same issue as yourself sorry thatís not much help.

Edited by Biglee5555 (Mon 16-Sep-19 23:03:17)

Standard User Mike260
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-19 23:06:31
Print Post

[re: Biglee5555] [link to this post]

No no your reply is brilliant and assures me they were talking [censored] when I rang. I had exactly the same issue when I changed my router for a new one a fewe months back. The engineer then said there was difficulty connecting the two boxes. This looks like the same thing, SO i will now call them and get the engineer to attend.
Thank you once again most helpful.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Sep-19 23:34:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mike260:
I have just bought 4g Broadband from 3 and it works great, But while I can connect my main Sky Q Box to the router wirelessly the mini box will not connect and tells me the router is not issuing an IP Address.

Having spoken to Sky Tech Support I finaly found that although the main Q box works on a 4g connection the mini box does not. Effectively I was told to go away and speak to my internet provider because the mini box wants a dynamic IP address but wont accept it from a 4g source as the data stream isn't quite right.

Any suggestions how I can overcome this. It's the only way I can get a decent internet speed.

Currently the Router is a Huawei 4g Router Lite Model B311s-220.
That sounds like the Sky Tech support are talking utter garbage.

What is frequently called a router these days, (at least BT and Sky now call them hubs which although a change of meaning from what a hub used to be is at least a bit less confusing), is a box containing a modem, a router, an ethernet switch and a wireless access point (WAP).

That's almost exactly what the B311 is. It has a modem that handles the connection to the mast, just like a Sky hub handles a landline connection to the Openreach FTTC cabinet. (Assuming that's what your Sky connection is).

The router component is what issues LAN IP addresses and controls the LAN. The ethernet switch in the B311 supplies one ethernet port and the inbuilt WAP.

However, you have two routers on the network both trying to do the same thing, issue LAN IP addresses.

At this point I begin to run out of steam as in a landline setup with two routers, you would normally either set the one connected to the line to modem only (bridge mode) and let the second handle the LAN, or disable DHCP in the second and use it just as an extension ethernet switch and WAP.

I know nothing about the Sky Q box/hub, so don't know if you can disable its DHCP. If you can I would expect both the Q box and the mini to connect to the B311. But maybe you can't turn off its DHCP.

What I can see in my B311 is that you can disable its DHCP under the Advanced tab. Which might work, and in fact might let other devices connect to whichever is giving the stronger signal in the room they are in. (This can require tweaking of devices).

If you turn off the B311's WAP under Wi-Fi (basic) settings, as well as its DHCP as above, I would expect onthenet's method to work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Sep-19 12:42:34
Print Post

The Sky Q mini boxes connect directly to the Sky Q main boxes using their own proprietary wireless protocol. They don't use your house's wi-fi. It's entirely possible that your mini box is too far away from the main box in order to make a connection to it. Move it to the same room to see if you get a connection to rule out problems with the 4G.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Sep-19 13:10:53
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

This article is worth a read; sounds a bit complex.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pv...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to