General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Sun 27-Oct-19 22:58:24
Print Post

Re: HELP please, 4G broadband using unlimited 4G data (Smart

[re: Andoids] [link to this post]

**** ANOTHER UPDATE ****

For the sake of completeness I will quickly inform the discussion what I ended up doing.......

I have not been able to get the Huawei B593u-12 router to use a landline phone to make calls..... Boooo!!

So.... I got a very cheap (and almost new) Huawei B311s-220 router. Out of the box it allows me to use my dect base station phone connected to it, to make calls through the router, using the sim card unlimited calls. yay!!! Also the handsets connected to the dect base station are also able to phone out using the sim card (2 x yay!!!!). Unfortunately the answer machine doesnt kick in to answer calls, but the vodafone voice mail works, so no big deal.

The Huawei B311s-220 only has a single lan port but it is connected to my old router and my house lan network now has 55Mbps available throughout. The Huawei B311s-220 gets much better reception using the same antenna located in the same place (I now get 55Mbps and a very stable line).

So, final conclusion, now I know that my dect phone (with a trio of handsets) works through the 4G router, providing really good phone coverage throughout the house (needed for our business), it is very likely that I will totally disconnect my telephone landline and save the £11/month.

The Vodafone Max data sim card costs £32/ month, which is slightly more expensive than the package I was on with Plusnet, but the increase in speed (from 4Mbps to 55Mbps) makes it very much worth while........... at least until fibre comes to my neighbourhood.

Thanks all, for the help and advice, I hope that someone else finds my experiences useful.
cheers!
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Tue 29-Oct-19 16:21:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andoids:
Unfortunately the answer machine doesnt kick in to answer calls, but the vodafone voice mail works, so no big deal.

Uh...... the telephone answer machine on the dect base station does work when attached to the router..... just had to turn off voicemail in Vodafone (DOH!)
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 30-Oct-19 14:54:23
Print Post

Well done andoids, giving hope to us all.

Unhelpfully to you at this point I mention that https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals? do vodafone unlimited sims (you have to be careful to get the uncapped speed) for about £20 a month after their claimed automatic cashback. I don't know how reliable this is but it suggests there are possible deals out there.

If Vodafone supports VoLTE calls I wonder if you can now make calls on 4g without having to drop the signal to 3g?

Faintly annoying how tricky it is to find a router that both supports a telephone and has the right firmware to allow it...

Good luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaba
(regular) Wed 30-Oct-19 20:02:15
Print Post

Impressive thread this showing great persistence to find a solution. I have been following it with interest as I have a need to do the same thing in a secondary location and plan to follow your solution.
What is not 100% clear is can you receive calls as well as make them via DECT and also how do you actually send SMS from a PC or phone and how do you receive them as well. I currently use Airdroid for this from my PC and assume this would work with the Huawei.
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Thu 31-Oct-19 22:34:40
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
What is not 100% clear is can you receive calls as well as make them via DECT and also how do you actually send SMS from a PC or phone and how do you receive them as well. I currently use Airdroid for this from my PC and assume this would work with the Huawei.

Jaba, good point.....The simple answer is yes.
The Dect Phones receive calls without any setting up (straight out of the box), the base station and all attached subphones ring when a call is made to the sim card in the router. If we dont answer it in time, the answer machine in the DECT base station takes a message. In all honesty it feels just like an ordinary landline. I simply plugged the DECT base station into the router using RJ11 plug (standard BT) then set up the DECT system as usual. We have noticed that when phoning to the sim card/router there is a longer delay connecting to the sim card (router) than a landline, but only the same as if phoning a mobile number (which of course you are!). Phoning out is just the same as if on a landline: also slightly longer connection.

SMS has to be done by logging into the router (via PC or mobile device) and there is an SMS page that allows you to text out and keeps a list of received texts. The texts are saved on the sim card which can fill up quite quickly (apparently). I havent really explored this avenue yet to its full potential (I am not a great texter..... ) but it should be easy enough to make a desktop shortcut which takes you straight to the SMS page in the router.

Good luck....

Edited by Andoids (Fri 01-Nov-19 08:06:01)

Standard User Andoids
(learned) Thu 31-Oct-19 22:42:20
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Unhelpfully to you at this point I mention that https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals? do vodafone unlimited sims (you have to be careful to get the uncapped speed) for about £20 a month after their claimed automatic cashback. I don't know how reliable this is but it suggests there are possible deals out there.

Well..... this is impressive. Fortunately I am on a pay monthly scheme, as we were working out whether 4G broadband would suit us. Sooooo, I might look up this deal and switch over next month.

At £20/month, (includes Entertainment too!!!!!!) it is way cheaper than my old rubbish broadband deal......brilliant!

Thanks for this.
Standard User kommando
(learned) Fri 01-Nov-19 17:08:50
Print Post

I got my £110 cheque from mobiles 3 days ago, my £30 a month goes to Vodafone. You can go for the cheaper option but then you have to send the invoices in and on time, it would have been £140 back over 4 £35 cheques.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Sun 01-Dec-19 00:02:51
Print Post

I have now got my own B311s-220 and it seems to work well within the limits of my 3g signal here.
@Andoids it is offering me an upgrade of the firmware from v8.0.1.7 (H180SP2C6101) to v10.0.1.1 (H180SP2C6101). What version is yours on please?

I am reluctant to upgrade only to find I have lost some functionality as I know it is difficult to locate Huawei firmware if I want to go back to the current level. The downloading on their firmware site does not appear to work.So some idea of what works for you would be helpful.
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 01-Dec-19 07:47:06
Print Post

To check what works in your area the app "opensignal" uses users real time checks. on the map view you can select the different companies to see what works best in your area.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit Hub3 - Gigabit routers - Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-19 10:37:30
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigluap:
To check what works in your area the app "opensignal" uses users real time checks. on the map view you can select the different companies to see what works best in your area.

OpenSignal and Cellmapper are the two sites to check. Both depend on people using the apps on phones in the area you're looking in.

VirginMedia Cable M200 22/nov/19
7 years of FTTC VDSL BT then plusnet with sync from 55/12 to 46/5
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to