General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Fri 27-Sep-19 09:37:32
Print Post

HELP please, 4G broadband using unlimited 4G data (Smarty)??

[link to this post]

PLEASE could someone advise me..... I am very new to this.
After years of getting substandard (3mbps) broadband in my rural location in Aberdeenshire I am looking to get 4G broadband.... I can get 4G outside the house, (I might need an external antenna to get 4G inside the house).... but even the 3G inside the house (9mbps) is faster than my existing landline broadband.

My initial search has found a 4G router on Ebay for £31 and unlimited 4G sim from Smarty for £18.75/month, is it this simple?..... Can I just insert the sim card into the 4G router and connect the roter to my ethernet LAN.... and the whole house can use 4G broadband?????

PLease advise.....But I am on a budget..... so I cant afford a commercial 4G router.

1) 3G / 4G Router (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-Wireless-Router-300Mbps-Home-Mobile-WiFi-Hotspot-with-SIM-Card-Slot-New/193124137761)
2) Smarty £18.75 p/m = Unlimited UK calls & texts + Unlimited 4G & 3G Data (https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited)
Standard User clyde123
(member) Fri 27-Sep-19 09:57:57
Print Post

Re: HELP please, 4G broadband using unlimited 4G data (Smart

[re: Andoids] [link to this post]

I bought this 4G router off ebay a few weeks ago. It works fine. It will depend on the reception you get for whatever supplier you choose to go with. I've tested a few.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-CPE-WiFi-Wireless-...
One thing to note - the power supply comes with a US style plug, so make sure you have, or you get, an adapter to UK style plug.
The unit has one built in ethernet socket which works. I've connected an old ATA adapter to run Voip over it.
And yes, it was as simple as plugging in and powering up. The one issue will be reception.
And I know there are issues with the Voip from different providers.
But wifi should be fine.
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(regular) Fri 27-Sep-19 10:10:12
Print Post

SMARTY are on the Three Network. Do you get good Three coverage in your area?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 27-Sep-19 10:12:39
Print Post

Do you have a Three sim in a 4G phone you can test the signal / speed to make sure it works fine inside the house, or is it only 3G inside and only 4G if you go outside? If you don't have a three sim to test how fast Smarty will be you can get a free sim to test from here that gives you 200MB Three Data Reward Sim. If 4G outside, but 3G inside, how many bars of signal do you get outside?

Cellmapper.net gives you a good idea where your local masts are.

You are quite correct, all you need to do is pop the sim in to a 4G router and away you go. You would need to make sure that the router covers the correct bands (currently band 3 and band 20), altough if it's a UK router it should do. You could still use 3G if the router supports it, however I find 3G quite slow at reacting to requests and thus frustrating even though the download speed is fine.

I use Smarty with a Huawei B525 router. It works great, and over the last 3 months I've had no issues and as far as anyone in the house is concerned they have no idea the service is over 4G. If you do decide to use Smarty you can get a free month (month 2) by the refer a friend feature. Happy to refer you if you do chose to go with Smarty.
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Fri 27-Sep-19 10:52:08
Print Post

OK....... you have all given me somethings to think about. Thanks very much.

I do not get Three network anywhere near me (oops). So forget Smarty.....

My phone is on O2 at the moment..... I get excellent coverage with them (full bars inside the house), the mast is ontop of the hill 1km up the road.

O2 offer unlimited 4G data at £33/month, so that is a big a step up in price. Because of course I still have to pay for landline @ £15/month..... 33+15 = £48/month.

This could only work if I can keep the cost down to something equivalent to my present cost of £26/month all in.

Perhaps I will wait a bit longer, see if O2 bring price down (or hopefully fibre will be brought to us within a few years).
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-19 11:25:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andoids:
My phone is on O2 at the moment..... I get excellent coverage with them (full bars inside the house), the mast is ontop of the hill 1km up the road.

O2's unlimited has a fair usage policy of 650 GB a month.

As you get O2, you MIGHT also get Vodafone signal, as they often share mast sites. I also believe that Vodafone has a 1000 GB a month fair usage policy. (EE and Three also have the same 1000 GB a month policy).

Vodafone have three prices for unlimited usage, but the lower prices have speed limits:

* £23/month = 2 megabit speed
* £26/month = 10 megabit speed
* £30/month = fastest available speed

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/unlimited-data-plans/

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Sep-19 11:43:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Fair usage policies are not allowed by Ofcom.

I donít know what EE say, but Three have only said, (IIRC in an interview of the CEO), that using over 1TB per month could suggest commercial use. Which is not allowed on the domestic product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:11:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Fair usage policies are not allowed by Ofcom.

I donít know what EE say, but Three have only said, (IIRC in an interview of the CEO), that using over 1TB per month could suggest commercial use. Which is not allowed on the domestic product.
I wonder how Ofcom expect radio networks to protect themselves from abuse, unlike fixed line broadband, it is harder to mange mobile broadband. ISP review discusses it here, saying Three, EE and Vodafone would probably "contact you" for such high usage.

O2 has the following statement on their website
Unlimited Data available on O2 Custom Plans on selected handsets and selected SIM Only tariffs. Fair use policy applies, personal and non-commercial usage only. If you regularly use 650GB of data per month or tether 12 or more devices we may consider this to be non permitted use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. EU roaming capped at 20GB per month, chargeable at 0.4p per MB afterwards. For full terms see www.o2.co.uk/terms
And it is found on this iPhone 11 page to the lower left of the page, scrolling down:
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/apple/iphone-11-pro-max

Also quoted by Jon Morris on reporting the Unlimited plan launch.
https://jmcomms.com/2019/09/13/o2-becomes-final-main...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 27-Sep-19 12:15:13)

Standard User Andoids
(learned) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:46:03
Print Post

OK... excellent, I can get vodafone as well on my local mast.... that saves a few £

If I can get rid of my landline completely.... the vodafone price of £30/month would be great, as long as i can use the new sim card for a voip phone (or equivalent), we need a base telephone number for our business. (What is an ATA adapter?)

Sooo.... Can anybody tell me how to connect a voip phone to a 4g router..... sorry if this is basic stuff....it is all new to me.

ALSO (!) can anybody recommend a 4G router with 1) sim slot and 2) ability to connect external antenna and 3) voip phone. I am hoping this one will do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-Wireless-Router-30...
Standard User AyeUp
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-19 21:29:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Vodafone FUP is 3TB........

Regards

John
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-19 21:33:32
Print Post

[re: AyeUp] [link to this post]

Nice! smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Fri 18-Oct-19 09:45:28
Print Post

****UPDATE*****
OK, I have bought an unlocked (used) Huawei B593, 4G router (Ebay £50). And the cheapest external 4G antenna (Ebay £5).

I plugged my UNLIMITED DATA MAX Vodafone SIM (£32/month) into the router, entered the vodafone APN details, and after a bit of antenna adjustment, I am now getting 35-45Mbps and full bars (strong signal, from a mast 4km away). The whole house LAN is getting similar speeds (slightly reduced due to LAN limitations).

Previous comment "3TB /month" FUP allowance from vodafone is massive and easily enough.

I have managed to download a few games from Steam ~50GB in 5hours. After 13 years of only getting ~3Mbps this is a revelation for me and my family. We have finally joined the modern age.

It has been running for 1 week, the router is on full time, and only rarely seems to disconnect for a couple of seconds (only when kids are surfing the net/youtube). I have rebooted it a few times, as it seems to freeze occassionally (however, I suspect this is why the router was sold on Ebay).

So far so good..... I am now trying to work out how to use the unlimited calls and texts that come free with the SIM card. (IP phone? or Google talk?)

Thanks to everyone for the help and comments.

PS I talked to vodafone technical and told them what I was doing and they were cool with the whole thing..... yay!
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Fri 18-Oct-19 12:45:11
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

No US power supply should be used with an adaptor for any period of time in the UK. It's not safe as the no US socket/plug combination provides protection against electrical shock when the plug is not fully inserted. You will note UK plugs have since 1984 (and many before that) all got sleeving on the live and neutral pins for this very reason. They are also not rated for 230V AC either.

The safe approach is to replace the power adaptor entirely with a known good one. At this juncture I would advise against getting anything off eBay/Amazon too as there is a lot of unsafe Chinese junk out their. RS or CPC would be more sensible. However it does say it can be powered by USB, so a £4 Ikea charger which has passed a bigclivedotcom teardown (and Ikea are big enough to sue to kingdom come if the adaptor burnt your house down or electrocuted you) would be a good starting point.
Standard User kommando
(learned) Fri 18-Oct-19 13:31:49
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I am now trying to work out how to use the unlimited calls and texts that come free with the SIM card.

I don't have that router but on the B525 with the right firmware you can plug a normal phone with an adaptor into the grey socket on the back and make calls, it falls back to 3g so you may lose speed during the call. I instead configure it for voip and make no outgoing calls so no charge but its stays on 4G if I did. The SMS function is in the B525's onboard webpages, a bit clunky with no access to your google address book and if you try to store too many messages the page locks up until you delete some.
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 18-Oct-19 15:55:33
Print Post

****UPDATE*****
OK, I have bought an unlocked (used) Huawei B593, 4G router (Ebay £50). And the cheapest external 4G antenna (Ebay £5).

I plugged my UNLIMITED DATA MAX Vodafone SIM (£32/month) into the router, entered the vodafone APN details, and after a bit of antenna adjustment, I am now getting 35-45Mbps and full bars (strong signal, from a mast 4km away). The whole house LAN is getting similar speeds (slightly reduced due to LAN limitations).

Previous comment "3TB /month" FUP allowance from vodafone is massive and easily enough.

I have managed to download a few games from Steam ~50GB in 5hours. After 13 years of only getting ~3Mbps this is a revelation for me and my family. We have finally joined the modern age.

It has been running for 1 week, the router is on full time, and only rarely seems to disconnect for a couple of seconds (only when kids are surfing the net/youtube). I have rebooted it a few times, as it seems to freeze occassionally (however, I suspect this is why the router was sold on Ebay).

So far so good..... I am now trying to work out how to use the unlimited calls and texts that come free with the SIM card. (IP phone? or Google talk?)

Thanks to everyone for the help and comments.

PS I talked to vodafone technical and told them what I was doing and they were cool with the whole thing..... yay!

Hi,

You would only be able to use the unlimited calls & texts if the card is in a phone. Anything else would count as data.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 541.32Mb/sec Down & 37.37Mb/sec Up (according to Speedtest.net W7 App)
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Fri 18-Oct-19 23:14:09
Print Post

Have a browse through the VOIP forum on here, all the info. re. porting your landline No. to VOIP is available.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip.html
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Oct-19 23:40:13
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
You would only be able to use the unlimited calls & texts if the card is in a phone. Anything else would count as data.
My Three HomeFi 311 with included data SIM is receiving SMS messages from them re my latest bill. The implication is I could receive them from anywhere, and also send.

I shall test over the weekend to and from a friend not on any form of Three, so as to rule out in-network v ex-network differences.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-19 09:03:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by mking90031:

That is certainly not true. I had a Lenovo laptop with built in cellular connectivity, and it took a SIM card. The software let you send and receive SMS messages, and also make phone calls (using the laptop speakers/microphone or a headset) in exactly the same way as a telephone handset. You could also make data connections, using the 1970s style AT command set... these connections were over 2G/3G or 4G and hence quick.

Some devices MAY be limited by their software, but generally not by the electronics or the mobile network operator.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Sat 19-Oct-19 14:39:36
Print Post

Ummmm..... I have since found numerous people on other forums that are able to use the unlimited calls and texts through their 4G router..... it is possible.... it just isnt always obvious how to do it.

The Huawei B593-s22 router seems to be straight forward (with the right firmware) to simply plug an ordinary landline phone into it and use a landline phone over 3G data........... but the connection drops from 4G to 3G for the duration of the phone call.

kommando above has the Huawei B525 that can also do it.....
I don't have that router but on the B525 with the right firmware you can plug a normal phone with an adaptor into the grey socket on the back and make calls, it falls back to 3g so you may lose speed during the call.

Unfortunately I have the Huawei B593u-12, which is very similar to the B593-s22, I can send and receive SMS texts through the router (not exactly convenient) but I am not able to use a landline phone...yet..... I am trying successive firmware to see if any will work...... perhaps, maybe one of the versions will allow use of the phone......
Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 19-Oct-19 18:53:35
Print Post

I agree, you can most certainly use a compatible router to make calls and sms. My B525 works fine with a BT cordless phone to ring out. It drops to 3G as you say. Issue is when 4G+ is active inbound calls are not connected. Works fine when in 4G mode as router again drops to 3G when inbound call.
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Sun 27-Oct-19 22:58:24
Print Post

**** ANOTHER UPDATE ****

For the sake of completeness I will quickly inform the discussion what I ended up doing.......

I have not been able to get the Huawei B593u-12 router to use a landline phone to make calls..... Boooo!!

So.... I got a very cheap (and almost new) Huawei B311s-220 router. Out of the box it allows me to use my dect base station phone connected to it, to make calls through the router, using the sim card unlimited calls. yay!!! Also the handsets connected to the dect base station are also able to phone out using the sim card (2 x yay!!!!). Unfortunately the answer machine doesnt kick in to answer calls, but the vodafone voice mail works, so no big deal.

The Huawei B311s-220 only has a single lan port but it is connected to my old router and my house lan network now has 55Mbps available throughout. The Huawei B311s-220 gets much better reception using the same antenna located in the same place (I now get 55Mbps and a very stable line).

So, final conclusion, now I know that my dect phone (with a trio of handsets) works through the 4G router, providing really good phone coverage throughout the house (needed for our business), it is very likely that I will totally disconnect my telephone landline and save the £11/month.

The Vodafone Max data sim card costs £32/ month, which is slightly more expensive than the package I was on with Plusnet, but the increase in speed (from 4Mbps to 55Mbps) makes it very much worth while........... at least until fibre comes to my neighbourhood.

Thanks all, for the help and advice, I hope that someone else finds my experiences useful.
cheers!
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Tue 29-Oct-19 16:21:11
Print Post

Unfortunately the answer machine doesnt kick in to answer calls, but the vodafone voice mail works, so no big deal.

Uh...... the telephone answer machine on the dect base station does work when attached to the router..... just had to turn off voicemail in Vodafone (DOH!)
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 30-Oct-19 14:54:23
Print Post

Well done andoids, giving hope to us all.

Unhelpfully to you at this point I mention that https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals? do vodafone unlimited sims (you have to be careful to get the uncapped speed) for about £20 a month after their claimed automatic cashback. I don't know how reliable this is but it suggests there are possible deals out there.

If Vodafone supports VoLTE calls I wonder if you can now make calls on 4g without having to drop the signal to 3g?

Faintly annoying how tricky it is to find a router that both supports a telephone and has the right firmware to allow it...

Good luck.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Wed 30-Oct-19 20:02:15
Print Post

Impressive thread this showing great persistence to find a solution. I have been following it with interest as I have a need to do the same thing in a secondary location and plan to follow your solution.
What is not 100% clear is can you receive calls as well as make them via DECT and also how do you actually send SMS from a PC or phone and how do you receive them as well. I currently use Airdroid for this from my PC and assume this would work with the Huawei.
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Thu 31-Oct-19 22:34:40
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
What is not 100% clear is can you receive calls as well as make them via DECT and also how do you actually send SMS from a PC or phone and how do you receive them as well. I currently use Airdroid for this from my PC and assume this would work with the Huawei.

Jaba, good point.....The simple answer is yes.
The Dect Phones receive calls without any setting up (straight out of the box), the base station and all attached subphones ring when a call is made to the sim card in the router. If we dont answer it in time, the answer machine in the DECT base station takes a message. In all honesty it feels just like an ordinary landline. I simply plugged the DECT base station into the router using RJ11 plug (standard BT) then set up the DECT system as usual. We have noticed that when phoning to the sim card/router there is a longer delay connecting to the sim card (router) than a landline, but only the same as if phoning a mobile number (which of course you are!). Phoning out is just the same as if on a landline: also slightly longer connection.

SMS has to be done by logging into the router (via PC or mobile device) and there is an SMS page that allows you to text out and keeps a list of received texts. The texts are saved on the sim card which can fill up quite quickly (apparently). I havent really explored this avenue yet to its full potential (I am not a great texter..... ) but it should be easy enough to make a desktop shortcut which takes you straight to the SMS page in the router.

Good luck....

Edited by Andoids (Fri 01-Nov-19 08:06:01)

Standard User Andoids
(learned) Thu 31-Oct-19 22:42:20
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Unhelpfully to you at this point I mention that https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals? do vodafone unlimited sims (you have to be careful to get the uncapped speed) for about £20 a month after their claimed automatic cashback. I don't know how reliable this is but it suggests there are possible deals out there.

Well..... this is impressive. Fortunately I am on a pay monthly scheme, as we were working out whether 4G broadband would suit us. Sooooo, I might look up this deal and switch over next month.

At £20/month, (includes Entertainment too!!!!!!) it is way cheaper than my old rubbish broadband deal......brilliant!

Thanks for this.
Standard User kommando
(learned) Fri 01-Nov-19 17:08:50
Print Post

I got my £110 cheque from mobiles 3 days ago, my £30 a month goes to Vodafone. You can go for the cheaper option but then you have to send the invoices in and on time, it would have been £140 back over 4 £35 cheques.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Sun 01-Dec-19 00:02:51
Print Post

I have now got my own B311s-220 and it seems to work well within the limits of my 3g signal here.
@Andoids it is offering me an upgrade of the firmware from v8.0.1.7 (H180SP2C6101) to v10.0.1.1 (H180SP2C6101). What version is yours on please?

I am reluctant to upgrade only to find I have lost some functionality as I know it is difficult to locate Huawei firmware if I want to go back to the current level. The downloading on their firmware site does not appear to work.So some idea of what works for you would be helpful.
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 01-Dec-19 07:47:06
Print Post

To check what works in your area the app "opensignal" uses users real time checks. on the map view you can select the different companies to see what works best in your area.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit Hub3 - Gigabit routers - Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-19 10:37:30
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigluap:
To check what works in your area the app "opensignal" uses users real time checks. on the map view you can select the different companies to see what works best in your area.

OpenSignal and Cellmapper are the two sites to check. Both depend on people using the apps on phones in the area you're looking in.

VirginMedia Cable M200 22/nov/19
7 years of FTTC VDSL BT then plusnet with sync from 55/12 to 46/5
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Sun 01-Dec-19 22:00:23
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

My present firmware is this... Software version 10.0.1.1(H187SP1C6101)

When I first got it, the router automatically upgraded..... so I dont know what it was using before.

I have to admit that in the past week we are having a problem with the sound quality of the phone connection through the router (using the sim card)..... it sounds great going out, but we have a problem hearing the incoming conversation....dull and echoing ?!??!?!? WE have tried different phones and they all seem to be affected, so it must be the router. Dont know what to do about this (F**K) any suggestions greatfully received.

Also, I have signed up to Sipgate to try (VOIP) and can report that it seems to work brilliantly (longish delay connecting) but quality so far is great. So we might transfer our existing landline number over to VOIP (means we dont have to change our business cards etc etc.) and then get rid of the landline altogether (at least until FIBRE arrives).

Edited by Andoids (Sun 01-Dec-19 22:13:14)

Standard User jaba
(regular) Sun 01-Dec-19 23:56:19
Print Post

Thanks. I will go ahead and let it upgrade now I have seen your experience if only to stop the nagging each time I switch on.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to