General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 10:05:39
Print Post

4G always on

[link to this post]

Is it normal for 4G routers to drop connections after maybe a week or more of being connected to the same 4G mast? I am finding I am having to reboot about once a week after my router just randomly stops passing internet traffic. I found this website and wondered if this is what is going on http://www.pingreboot.co.uk/
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Oct-19 10:59:57
Print Post

Re: 4G always on

[re: bluecat1] [link to this post]

It maybe the router itself. Some ADSL/VDSL routers need regular reboots because there tables get full or the software gets confused - I suspect the same may impact on some 4G routers as well.
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-19 12:48:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I have 2 routers of the same model in diifferent locations, one on EE and one on Three and the one on Three requires far more reboots which is why I thought it might be carrier related but I guess it's possible there are other factors.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 02-Oct-19 12:54:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by bluecat1:
I have 2 routers of the same model in diifferent locations, one on EE and one on Three and the one on Three requires far more reboots which is why I thought it might be carrier related but I guess it's possible there are other factors.

The Netgear Aircard I used needed rebooting most days.

The Huawei B525 has never been rebooted by me in the last 3 months. However within the options it does have an option enabbled that states it will restart the router weekly if it deems it necessary. I assume that being there means that restarting router weekly can be needed in some circumstances. Although, a reboot on the B525 only takes seconds to reconnect even when forced. By default this happens in the night, so even if it is doing this, i wouldn't notice. smile
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 02-Oct-19 12:57:34
Print Post

I don't have this issue much for the first few months of using Three. However after a few months I kept finding the Mikrotik router still connected to the mast but not sending/receiving data.

It happens after pretty random periods though, often it doesn't happen for several days, but occasionally it can happen a couple of times in an hour.

I've worked round the problem by writing a script that runs on the router once a minute and pings Google's DNS server. If I don't get any packets back it resets the connection (I don't need to reboot).

This cludge works well and I rarely really notice the issue anymore (though checking the log there is rarely a week when the script doesn't reset the connection at least once).
  Print Thread

Jump to