General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 22:26:44
Print Post

Re: How about this EE 4G Home Broadband Deal out of the blue

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
However, O2 like to cancel my SIM if I do not make TWO voice calls every period which sometimes they say is six months, other times 3 months.

That sounds a PAYG rule, which is separate to using data. Not related to Bob's statement about using a phone price plan SIM in a data only device (e.g. dongle).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Oct-19 23:49:23
Print Post

Hi Clive,

I don't remember the details of O2 product history, as I have a "loaned-out" long-standing legacy PAYG SIM that I pay for that does not expire if not used. It does require a three-monthly top-up of at least £10 to obtain 500 minutes inclusive calls, (or other choice of benefit), valid for one month, but doesn't need that top-up in order to retain the credit balance from the £10. (IIRC). Are you sure you aren't on the same product?

I do know that I am happily chuntering away on a phone and a Three router+SIM. Prior to buying the latter I was using my phone tethered to my laptops and iPad, which didn't stop the phone working normally concurrently. Incidentally that also worked if connecting the phone via USB into an ASUS router, the phone in effect being the modem input to the router. (I bought the unlimited HomeFI to support home CCTV uploading to the cloud, which obviously would fail if I took my mobile with me when I went out).

I don't download extravagantly, but upload several GB per month via the Three HomeFi router.

Re "Chapter and verse", it is more a question of "unquestioned" history, which seems to have caused some providers to become a little deceptive in their advertising. Who would have thought that could happen? (cough)

I'm not aware of a specific Ofcom ruling. It is more to do with its position on net neutrality following investigations into Three and Vodafone, regarding device usage and suchlike, which has caused EE and others to sprout unlimited deals alongside their data-limited ones. In particular it conducted an enquiry into Three T & Cs, with this result.

More history:

- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/ofcom-...
- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/three-...

It is clear from those three links plus the Three website that:

1) Their unlimited SIM is unlimited. (So all other providers' unlimited SIMs have to be else Ofcom will jump on them).
2) Tethering to a phone with such a SIM is necessarily allowed.
3) That SIM can also be inserted into a "Home Wifi"-providing router and provide unlimited data access.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Oct-19 23:56:10)

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 23:54:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for that James. Their "silly" rule, which I am convinced was made up in the local O2 shop is not within their printed T&Cs which simply requires a chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period. Whilst the paperwork refers to "For any phone" it is pay for what you use, so as I see it, a MB of data is a MB of data irrespective of whether it is via a phone or a dongle.

Anyway, I just logged my two chargeable activities, so should be OK until towards the end of January. It is a bit of a pain swapping the PAYG SIM to a phone, making two calls and then swapping back.

If only I had reception of 3 here, then 3's offer of a SIM with 200 MB of free data per month would be ideal for what I generally need.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-19 00:06:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob. No, I don't think it is that that same product as you have. The one I have is (was) called a "Classic Pay As You Go" 5p a min, 5p a text and 5p a MB. Oddly when I made my two TF calls earlier, the credit dropped down by 3p rather than 5p.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-19 04:44:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Thanks for that James. Their "silly" rule, which I am convinced was made up in the local O2 shop is not within their printed T&Cs which simply requires a chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period. Whilst the paperwork refers to "For any phone" it is pay for what you use, so as I see it, a MB of data is a MB of data irrespective of whether it is via a phone or a dongle.

Good point, and it might be worth asking head office (via customer services phone number) rather than a store. smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-19 23:37:40
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
It was never clear if they could tell how many devices were being a router? Do they leak mac address?
Shouldn't do but can't they tell by the no. of ports used for responses to the 1 public IP to be directed back by NAT to the requesting device?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-19 23:46:04
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
just hope i don't get some representative from EE ringing me and telling me it was a mistake and i was miss sold a package not suited to the contract.
You won't! EE accepts you can use their unlimited data SIMs in mobile BB routers as long as it's only for personal use by keeping to their FUPs of no more than 12 devices regularly & no more than 1000 GB data / billing month.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RoadDots
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-20 04:04:29
Print Post

Re: How about this EE 4G Home Broadband Deal out of the blue *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to