General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-19 08:02:10
Print Post

How about this EE 4G Home Broadband Deal out of the blue ?

[link to this post]

As i posted about the terrible fibre line we had when we moved to this house last August 2018 and the problems i got with strict Nat when using the supplied EE router for 4G Home broadband i have a development.

As i have stated i got help with this issue from a guy on here who goes under the name Frogmella,the solution was either a VPN with the suggested AAISP or getting a better third party router,i took up both options and went for what i like and have used in the past with a Netgear Nighthawk LTE model number R711LG.

After inserting the nano sim into the new Netgear using a sim adapter as the netgear only excepted Micro sim my NAT issues disappeared [same sim different device someone explain] never used the VPN even though i have still kept it just in case something changes.

Now the strange thing, on Thursday our connection went down and the speed dropped to about 15 mbps when we normally got about 40 from the netgear router, then the lights on the router went orange and we lost the connection, looking into then router setting it said [no sim card detected ] this went on for about 2 hours where i took the sim card out and tried in vain to get this working.

putting a nano sim into an adapter is a frustrating thing and the slot on the back is small and its not easy using a adapter as the nano sim kept dropping out.

Anyway could not get the router to accept the sim and i thought the worse that the £300 router had a issue and it was past the month Amazon return.

So i got the EE router out of the garage inserted the nano sim into device without adapter and it all worked first time ,obviously now the Strict Nat was back when doing my console netgear settings test ?

So my conclusion was that the netgear had a problem with the adapter and Nano sim so i rang EE and asked them if on out 4G home broadband account i could change from a Nano to a micro so i did not need to use a adapter in the netgear.

She arranged a Friday appointment at our nearest EE shop to do what i suggested ,now the good bit and its strange as i see no such deals on the EE 4G home broadband website .

No get this ,having found out the fibre connection to this house is a absolute joke with BT telling us there is a fibre line going to the house giving us 1meg at best and calling this fibre we eventually managed to get out of the BT contract [very hard and frustrating] and move to EE home 4g.

Now at the time this originally [wait for it] cost us £90 a month for just 200gig of data,5 months later i noticed on there site that there was a package of 500gig for £70.

After a lot of moaning and many phone calls they agreed to change our account and give us the better deal, but this was not easy and took many phone calls over a period of weeks.

Every day i had to monitor our data use and on many occasion with a week to go we were on the limit.

Anyway now the best bit, went to EE shop Friday Manger said he was looking at the account and said he could improve it by what he called downgrading the account.

Basically he offered us a Galaxy Tab By samsung on the old account number with 8Gig of data, then gave me a Micro sim on a new home broadband 4g contract for £45 a month all in.

Now that is a £25 drop, now the best bit .........he said there would be now data limits and the account 4g is now unlimited.

I said to him i see no such deals for this but i was not going to argue, he said that it changed in August and he said he only noticed himself a few weeks back.

Still not convinced this is authentic ,i just think some of them in the shops have found some flaw and a way around these high 4G home broadband prices and data limits.

Anybody any the wiser regarding this........Anyway im not complaining, clicking on our data check site on my laptop, its now changed from a Bar that used to say 500gig to the same bar that now says Unlimited date underneath .smile

Edited by time2die (Sat 26-Oct-19 08:17:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Oct-19 13:51:48
Print Post

Re: How about this EE 4G Home Broadband Deal out of the blue

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

EE unlimited 4G SIM Only plans. (You may need to click "Show all 10 plans" to read the details).

Under Ofcom rules there is nothing to stop you using a phone SIM in a 4G router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-19 16:13:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That explains why there is no mention of this on EE 4g broadband site, just the data capped packages.

To be honest i thought it was some phone sim deal as it wasn't clear what he was actually saying and how he was getting this deal.

I know he said that things had changed in August,but i think its a loophole around the massive expense a EE 4G broadband account is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Sat 26-Oct-19 17:01:58
Print Post

EE used to talk about 12 devices only on unlimited phone sim. There was talk about shared ip address's making it harder to use as well. How much these factors differentiate their mobile data sims from their mobile phone sims in practice I don't know?

It was never clear if they could tell how many devices were being a router? Do they leak mac address?

It is very odd that an unlimited mobile sim is £35 a month yet a £200gb data sim can cost twice as much. Why would anyone buy the data sim?

Still you were clear what you wanted it for so it seems hard to for them to now complain you are using in for your home broadband.

I'm glad your happy. Here are some random terms and conditions from an EE page selling mobile sims...

""Unlimited Plans: Uncapped and Unlimited data - 15GB fair use policy applies outside UK. Personal, non-commercial use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan. If you are on a Smart Handset or Smart SIM plan you can choose from 3 swappables (Amazon Prime Video, BT Sport or the Roam Further Pass). 5G Handset customers can gift up to 120GB all other unlimited customers can gift up to 100GB. Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance. Any data boost allowance will be added to the giftable allowance.""
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-19 17:10:46
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Like is said previously last August we were paying a high premium for a decent broadband connection £90 a month originally for 200gig.

Up until yesterday and only by chance because my router was not reading sim card inserted and kept giving errors our package was £70 a month for 500gig which i can go through in a matter of days if im not careful, especially when games require huge patches.

Yesterday Modern warfare release was around 100 gig required before playing it online,im still trying to get my head around this deal to be honestly can not see EE as a company allowing there workers to bypass the expensive 4G home broadband deals onto customers when again like i said this is not part of the 4G Home broadband deals advertised on there site.

Im not complaining and if its legit and you can do this as the reply by the first guy states then im really happy ,just hope i don't get some representative from EE ringing me and telling me it was a mistake and i was miss sold a package not suited to the contract.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sat 26-Oct-19 19:19:52
Print Post

Making a lot of noise on a public forum doesn't seem the best way to avoid attracting attention and any possible repercussions.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 06:20:53
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I was thinking that funny enough, but there are many many people paying extortionate 4g home broadband prices and i thought i would share this solution, but roberto said there is nothing wrong with doing what they are doing.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sun 27-Oct-19 12:01:29
Print Post

They have also removed the 4GEE Home router with all the available data options. Can no longer get 500gb for £70 a month or whatever it was. I wonder what they're doing. Perhaps 4g unlimited home broadband is coming soon. Only reason i can think of them removing it.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 13:25:15
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Yeah our contract was 500gig for £70 a month and when i came home and checked there data plans this was nowhere to be seen and the maximum was 300 Gig for about £50 i think.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 22:25:12
Print Post

Hi Bob

Can you please give me a Chapter and Verse for that OFCOM rule re a phone SIM in a 4G Router?

I live a couple of hundred metres from a combined Vodafone / O2 4G mast and for backup purposes, should my OR line fail whatever, can use 4G via my Huawei E5776

However, O2 like to cancel my SIM if I do not make TWO voice calls every period which sometimes they say is six months, other times 3 months.
(Which reminds me to make a couple of calls tomorrow before I loose my SIM and credit.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 22:26:44
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
However, O2 like to cancel my SIM if I do not make TWO voice calls every period which sometimes they say is six months, other times 3 months.

That sounds a PAYG rule, which is separate to using data. Not related to Bob's statement about using a phone price plan SIM in a data only device (e.g. dongle).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Oct-19 23:49:23
Print Post

Hi Clive,

I don't remember the details of O2 product history, as I have a "loaned-out" long-standing legacy PAYG SIM that I pay for that does not expire if not used. It does require a three-monthly top-up of at least £10 to obtain 500 minutes inclusive calls, (or other choice of benefit), valid for one month, but doesn't need that top-up in order to retain the credit balance from the £10. (IIRC). Are you sure you aren't on the same product?

I do know that I am happily chuntering away on a phone and a Three router+SIM. Prior to buying the latter I was using my phone tethered to my laptops and iPad, which didn't stop the phone working normally concurrently. Incidentally that also worked if connecting the phone via USB into an ASUS router, the phone in effect being the modem input to the router. (I bought the unlimited HomeFI to support home CCTV uploading to the cloud, which obviously would fail if I took my mobile with me when I went out).

I don't download extravagantly, but upload several GB per month via the Three HomeFi router.

Re "Chapter and verse", it is more a question of "unquestioned" history, which seems to have caused some providers to become a little deceptive in their advertising. Who would have thought that could happen? (cough)

I'm not aware of a specific Ofcom ruling. It is more to do with its position on net neutrality following investigations into Three and Vodafone, regarding device usage and suchlike, which has caused EE and others to sprout unlimited deals alongside their data-limited ones. In particular it conducted an enquiry into Three T & Cs, with this result.

More history:

- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/ofcom-...
- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/three-...

It is clear from those three links plus the Three website that:

1) Their unlimited SIM is unlimited. (So all other providers' unlimited SIMs have to be else Ofcom will jump on them).
2) Tethering to a phone with such a SIM is necessarily allowed.
3) That SIM can also be inserted into a "Home Wifi"-providing router and provide unlimited data access.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Oct-19 23:56:10)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-19 23:54:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for that James. Their "silly" rule, which I am convinced was made up in the local O2 shop is not within their printed T&Cs which simply requires a chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period. Whilst the paperwork refers to "For any phone" it is pay for what you use, so as I see it, a MB of data is a MB of data irrespective of whether it is via a phone or a dongle.

Anyway, I just logged my two chargeable activities, so should be OK until towards the end of January. It is a bit of a pain swapping the PAYG SIM to a phone, making two calls and then swapping back.

If only I had reception of 3 here, then 3's offer of a SIM with 200 MB of free data per month would be ideal for what I generally need.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-19 00:06:01
Print Post

Hi Bob. No, I don't think it is that that same product as you have. The one I have is (was) called a "Classic Pay As You Go" 5p a min, 5p a text and 5p a MB. Oddly when I made my two TF calls earlier, the credit dropped down by 3p rather than 5p.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-19 04:44:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Thanks for that James. Their "silly" rule, which I am convinced was made up in the local O2 shop is not within their printed T&Cs which simply requires a chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period. Whilst the paperwork refers to "For any phone" it is pay for what you use, so as I see it, a MB of data is a MB of data irrespective of whether it is via a phone or a dongle.

Good point, and it might be worth asking head office (via customer services phone number) rather than a store. smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-19 23:37:40
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
It was never clear if they could tell how many devices were being a router? Do they leak mac address?
Shouldn't do but can't they tell by the no. of ports used for responses to the 1 public IP to be directed back by NAT to the requesting device?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-19 23:46:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
just hope i don't get some representative from EE ringing me and telling me it was a mistake and i was miss sold a package not suited to the contract.
You won't! EE accepts you can use their unlimited data SIMs in mobile BB routers as long as it's only for personal use by keeping to their FUPs of no more than 12 devices regularly & no more than 1000 GB data / billing month.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RoadDots
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-20 04:04:29
Print Post

Re: How about this EE 4G Home Broadband Deal out of the blue *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to