General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Overdave
(newbie) Sat 30-Nov-19 18:41:18
Print Post

4G for gaming in no fiber area

[link to this post]

Just moved to a new house, abysmal DSL estimates of 1.6Mb. Most use Boundless Networks who have a FTTM mast <200m away but there are tall trees blocking line of sight to the mast &#128530;

I need a connection with speeds for multiple devices; 4K Netflix, some big file downloads etc but want to prioritise a low, stable latency.

Area has no 5g rollout plans currently, looking at basic network coverage map for indoor Vodafone/O2 have full green, EE yellow and 3 is no coverage. Outdoor everything is green.

I bought a Vodafone MiFi as a quick fix it’s pretty poor and unreliable. 40-60ms ping with jitter, 8-20mb speeds bounce around, signal light on there is switching orange/green no matter where it’s placed (indoors).

2 main questions and general advice sought;

1. Is there a more technical area checker that shows infrastructure for my area?
2. What is the best course of action for improving latency, can a more expensive modem/antenna improve the latency? I am happy to wall mount outdoors etc if needed but only if it’s actually likely to improve latency and jitter..

Thanks for any help!

Dave
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 04-Dec-19 15:25:29
Print Post

Re: 4G for gaming in no fiber area

[re: Overdave] [link to this post]

Trees will block a signal, but if it is only 200m away maybe not too much - I'd look into that a bit more if I were you. The latency on a fixed wireless connection is likely to be more stable than a 4G connection. The antenna won't affect latency (unless your signal is very bad, in which case latency will be the least of your worries). A good router may help, but in my experience the jitter is within the 4G network.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-19 12:30:32
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Had the same experience we we moved to the hills in mid wales, was shocked when we discovered our fibre line got a maximum of 1gig download speeds on a good day.

We eventually managed to cancel the Bt Fibre contract and that was not easy and took several months as we said it was not fit for purpose and to be told that it was a fibre line connected to the premises and such a poor download speed we had little alternative but to go and get a EE 4g broadband deal.

For the best part of 8 moths it was extremely expensive and on the initial start up we were paying £90 a month for a capped 200gig limit which is a complete joke.

On the plus side i had a external EE 4g Ariel connected for the cost of £100 and i got download speeds in excess of 100 meg and when testing never below 80 meg

Now the not so good news, was told when i acquired about this service been a avid gamer myself that this was fine for gaming, completely not true as it gives strict Nat on all my consoles which is not what you want if your into gaming.

But i had a lot of help on here from a very friendly and informative person who goes under the name of frogmella.

To bypass this strict Nat issue i used third party equipment and another router and not the provided EE router that had little settings to change stuff.

So i went with a Netgear Nighthawk LTE router R7100LG [yes very expensive at £300]

Now before this i used a lan cable from the EE router into my previous netgear router which did not have a sim card option and i took out a £10 a month VPN contract with AAISP as suggested by Frog.

Frog helped me with there VPN settings and set up and we managed to get normal Nat on the consoles which was brilliant.

But i did not really like the 2 routers and all the wires and stuff so got a standalone router like the one i listed above and found when putting the sim card into that netgear router i did not even have to set up the VPN and i got the Nat required on my consoles.

Now a mere year later we had a stroke of luck when my new netgear was not recognising the sim and i was having issues' had to use a adapter with this router as the EE sim was a nano sim and the netgear slot is micro, this adapter was a pain in the backside and causing issues .

So i rang EE and said can i get a replacement sim on the account but a Micro and not a Nano and they said no problem just go to a EE shop which we did.

Now the good news [so far at least] manager in the shop saw we were paying a vast amount of money each month for this EE 4g contract and said there was a way around this.

Cancelled the contract and he set up another unlimited 4G data Sim package for £35 a month when we were now paying £70 a month after negotiation for 500gig cap.

So my advise is invest in a decent LTE router and get a unlimited 4g sim, bare in mind that there is little point getting a external Ariel if using third party equipment as i have found most of the routers dont have Ariel inputs [there are a few with adapters for the ee fitted Ariel ]

And now not using EE equipment including the £100 outside 4g Ariel i get around 35 meg download on wifi when running a test .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Dec-19 17:53:41
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I suspect your post may contain a typo.
fibre line got a maximum of 1gig download speeds on a good day.

We eventually managed to cancel the Bt Fibre contract and that was not easy and took several months as we said it was not fit for purpose
I would hardly call a fibre line running at 1 gig to be not fit for purpose. I'd be more than happy to have a fibre connection running at 1Gb.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Dec-19 18:51:38
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
I suspect your post may contain a typo.
fibre line got a maximum of 1gig download speeds on a good day.

We eventually managed to cancel the Bt Fibre contract and that was not easy and took several months as we said it was not fit for purpose
I would hardly call a fibre line running at 1 gig to be not fit for purpose. I'd be more than happy to have a fibre connection running at 1Gb.
Maybe it was slow because the moths got to it, and using Ariel on it didn't help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-19 08:22:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Yeah its suppose to say 1 meg wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-19 08:24:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So there is a typo get over it .
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Dec-19 10:58:58
Print Post

“Moths”, perhaps, so worth a small joke in the context. “Ariel” five times, with a capital each time, is not a typo. It is mainly associated with a clothes washing product. Though it does have many other uses, none of them to do with the receiving of radio waves.

Seeing as you appear to have the product that does receive them ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 09-Dec-19 11:01:23)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-19 16:29:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Personally i prefer Persil Automatic.

Edited by time2die (Mon 09-Dec-19 16:30:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Dec-19 16:41:25
Print Post

smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to