General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Jan-20 12:25:00
Print Post

Re: Poor Netflix Speed on 3 Home Broadband

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I haven't time to spend on a twitter thread, but I doubt if it will in any way present a balanced view. Meaning "proof" is rather over-stating its position.

Three is also spending a LOT of money replacing a significant amount of its core network and transmission equipment with that from a different vendor. (See twitter feeds from people whom know). In areas where the network rebuild is complete, significant improvement has been seen in capacity. This may be one of a few reasons for the delay with a larger 5G roll out.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 12-Jan-20 21:26:30
Print Post

[re: norliss] [link to this post]

From my experience with a 3 sim for a year now it takes a good while for the Netflix speed to ramp up when you start watching and also they heavily traffic manage Netflix traffic when they need to, literally Ive done a speed test and Netflix stream within seconds of each other and speed test is fine and netflix struggles to get to even a HD stream - off peak and usually in the day time in my residential neighborhood its UHD all the way. Between say 6-11pm its pretty bad. But its been a lifesaver from my 4Mb ADSL, but Cityfibre due here within the next 6 months or less so happy days.

Edited by Rolandrat (Sun 12-Jan-20 21:28:01)

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Tue 14-Jan-20 11:17:37
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Similar thing with me, had 3 4G and B535 since Friday, put it up in the loft , decent signal up there.

With it on 4G i can get about 20-30 down and 20 up.

With it on 3G i get about 22 down and 2-4 up.

But with Netflix, its pretty good streams 4K on 3G but on 4G its terrible, the throughput is shocking, cant be the wi fi as its fine on 3G.

Speed tests on my pc with 4G are good, browsing is good. so no idea what it is.

Have a few aerials coming in the next few weeks, will see if they make a difference,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mb1
(newbie) Tue 14-Jan-20 14:35:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, if you did find time to read that Twitter account, then you'd see that there are quite a few people who've noticed a steady decline in speeds in the past few months.

I gave up in the end (having had exactly the same experience as them) and moved to Vodafone, where my speeds have improved dramatically.

If Three are truthfully spending a fortune on upgrading their network, then they need to be more upfront with their customers. It started out well enough with them (back in July, as you correctly discovered) but deteriorated to a point over Christmas where I was barely getting 0.01. All I ever saw were p*ss poor speeds every day.

I'm glad it's working for you though. I just can't rely on them.
Standard User kev_445
(regular) Tue 14-Jan-20 15:47:56
Print Post

Unfortunately, Three are not very open or honest when asked about their traffic shaping, I’m guessing for fear of appearing inferior to their competitors.

The closest you’ll get, which was only revealed after OfCom gave them a telling off:
http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL...

From experience they apply the “Go roam around the world’ traffic shaping in areas in the UK when experiencing congestion, typically from 4pm to 11pm. However according to their documents, no such shaping is used in practice, go figure!
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jan-20 19:42:29
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

That is quite disturbing. they screw with the speed of vpn's.....at the exact time you need them most, when abroad on unknown networks! I was seriously looking at switching to 3 due to their 5g spectrum and good prices, but this is exactly the sort of thing that would royally p me off so I will likely avoid them now and either stick with EE or check out voda since EE are currently intent on pricing themselves out of the market for 5g.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 14-Jan-20 19:53:44)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jan-20 20:15:39
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

I think EE has a leading position on 5G today and prices reflect it.

Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-20 09:49:01
Print Post

I've noticed during the past week that in the evening when everyone on Three in my area is using the same mast I can struggle to stream you-tube. Obviously more bandwidth is required from Three.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-20 12:03:46
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

Depends what you mean. "Bandwidth" on a radio system consists of two things:
1) Radio capacity between your device and the mast
2) Connectivity between the mast and the core network

The majority of cellular systems around the world are limited at 1. Governments only have limited amount of radio capacity and licence this capacity. Networks bid for capacity, and then make a cost decision about where to deploy. You may find the radio spectrum in your area is saturated for the number of users. Three may have additional capacity they can deploy, or they might have deployed all they own.

Radio isn't really a suitable medium for broadband in high use areas (e.g. towns/cities) for this reason. The ideas behind 5G might change the parameters if lots more micro-cells are deployed, but that will take a long time.

Edited by jchamier (Wed 15-Jan-20 12:04:16)

Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:18:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I presumed the reason it slows down in the evening is not because my connection with the mast is limited but the amount of bandwidth available from the mast is and when everyone local to me is connected to it? (So it effectively causes contention issues the same way as an oversubscribed virgin media street cabinet)

Just ran a speed test 4:23pm an amazing 4.5Mbps.........strange how at 12pm I was getting a constant 55Mbps isn't it?

Edited by buggerlugs (Wed 15-Jan-20 16:24:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to