General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 10-Jan-20 19:43:26
Print Post

Poor Netflix Speed on 3 Home Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi all.

Took delivery of a Huawei B535 router from Three earlier today. I had no problems setting it all up and the handful of speed tests I've done both via ethernet and WiFi have showed speeds of 35-40mbps down and 28mbps up.

However, I've just sat down to watch Netflix and got lots of buffering and low-quality video, the likes of which I've never experiences with Virgin Media. I've just done a couple of speed tests within the Netflix app on the Nvidia Shield TV (via ethernet/homeplug) and it's showing my connection speed as a mere 2-3Mbps!!

Presumably this must be some sort of network issue but does anyone have any experience of this?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Jan-20 20:05:33
Print Post

Re: Poor Netflix Speed on 3 Home Broadband

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

You should try a speed test on this site as well. Your speeds on mobile can change a lot as time goes on as load changes as people use their devices.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 10-Jan-20 20:08:28
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have done and they're basically the same as speedtest.net. Don't seem to have any problems with YouTube or Amazon Prime on the same device.

Edit: if I ping Netflix, I get 100% packet loss. Some problem between me and Netflix, evidently..

Edited by deleted (Fri 10-Jan-20 20:20:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 10-Jan-20 21:19:58
Print Post

Have you tried fast.com which is provided by Netflix and see if it's same story?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 10-Jan-20 21:34:06
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Yeah, earlier that was giving me garbage speeds too. I've subsequently rebooted the router and the speeds are far more respectable albeit not quite on a par with the speeds I've had from the tester on this site and speedtest.net etc.

My Nvidia Shield TV is connected by a cable albeit via Homeplug. Previously that would top out at about 50Mbps (ancient DEVOLO units) but now seems to be topping out under 20Mbps. Can't see why it would have dropped so much by virtue of switching between the ancient VM Superhub and this new Huawei B535?

As an aside, I've noticed that the IP addresses I'm now getting identify me being in various places in the South East of England (and now Leeds) but I'm in Cardiff. I suppose that's just the way it works with 3?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 11-Jan-20 01:43:32
Print Post

Have you tried netflix on another device? If so, is the in app tester similar to the Shield tv device. I believe you can test it on the android/IOS Netflix app if not already.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jan-20 10:37:55
Print Post

Yep test the netflix speed on another device connected to the b535 to prove whether it might be the shield or the devolo. And try the shield on wifi and see what speed that gets, again to prove whether it might be the devolo or not. process of elimination. It sounds like it is probably related to the devolo that the shield is plugged into.

Edited by Ewok (Sat 11-Jan-20 10:39:07)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 11-Jan-20 11:04:17
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

I'd also recommend changing your DNS settings as the THREE DNS is really limiting. I've found using 1.1.1.1 as primary and 208.67.222,220 as secondary works wonders for finding websites far quicker.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 12-Jan-20 10:50:07
Print Post

I would get out while you can. Three's network has been in a steady state of decline since at least April 2019. Just see the proof on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/three_is_broken
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jan-20 11:14:54
Print Post

I haven't time to spend on a twitter thread, but I doubt if it will in any way present a balanced view. Meaning "proof" is rather over-stating its position.

I have been entirely on Three since the end of 2018 and haven't noticed any decline at all.

I assume you didn't find that thread until after 2 July 2019 tongue:-
In reply to a post by mb1:
I've been reading this thread with interest since purchasing a Three SIM and a Huawei B525 router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to