General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(member) Mon 20-Jan-20 12:27:50
Print Post

Re: Best ‘easy’ set up and use ...

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The thing is, that Smarty is Three, at the same website price, but without the contract. Surely there must be a snag?

Interesting that the Three combo router + SIM is now subject to price based on location. Starting at £22. I expect that is because of readying for 5G, where I seem to remember for new customers there will be a higher price. The adverts so far have been that all SIMs are 5G ready, at no extra cost when it becomes available.

Which is great for those like me already on the system on 4G, but not a good pricing structure for areas that already have it at the time a new punter joins.

There’s another thought. Does anyone know Smarty’s policy on 5G?

The only snag I can see with Smarty is that their customer service is non existent in the conventional sense (telephone). You have to use web chat or email, telephone isn't an option.

The other element is being a relatively unknown entity you either have to undercut on price or excel in some other quality metric to succeed. So Smarty have to differentiate, and it looks like they are trying to do this on price.

Edited by gary333 (Mon 20-Jan-20 12:28:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jan-20 13:01:43
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
Also, they are pricing their 5G mobile broadband service completely separately, which they can do because (for now) you need their 5G router to get it (as buying a 5G router as a consumer isn't practical yet).

They have priced it separately at £30/month:

http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadban...
They also advertise that the SIMs are 5G-ready at no extra cost. To most people that would mean what I took it to. It would either simply start working in a 5G area (if you are using 5G-capable equipment), or they would download the necessary configuration software free on request.

The separate pricing for "New" 5G customers is exactly what I was referring to in my post.

Edit: Ah, yes. The £30 is the HomeFi with a 5G-capable router. Nothing to do with the SIM itself so far as I can tell smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 20-Jan-20 13:05:07)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jan-20 14:28:19
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
Also, they are pricing their 5G mobile broadband service completely separately, which they can do because (for now) you need their 5G router to get it (as buying a 5G router as a consumer isn't practical yet).

AND because there are still two networks, the "Three" network, which is being upgraded , and the "Three Broadband" network, formerly known as Relish, which only has coverage in very small parts of London.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jan-20 15:49:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

There's some interesting stuff on this site.

The link is to the Three page but it compares with others there. I haven't looked at other pages.

I don't think I need to consider 5G for a very long way into the future wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jan-20 17:44:20
Print Post

Not a bad site comparing the networks, but "launched" is a bit too positive for Three, what they've done is purchase Relish and rebrand it. Which is completely separate, using separate spectrum and management / billing etc, to the main network.

What it means is you cannot buy a phone handset on 5G with Three, but you can with the other networks. They are yet to launch this service. Its legal, but confusing. :

Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Mon 20-Jan-20 19:43:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Online gaming ? Hahahahahaha err, no.

Actually I manage just fine on xbox live with a B535 on Three.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-20 07:10:19
Print Post

There appears to be no coverage for Three in the corner of West Wales where required.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-20 08:38:49
Print Post

It will be worth doing a site survey with PAYG sims from all 4 networks if you haven't already. The maps are useful. CellMapper isn't very good either as not enough "enthusiasts" in that area.

I was looking at rural areas around Camarthen last year, and around there is a very much single network and touch-and-go coverage. frown

Standard User clyde123
(member) Tue 21-Jan-20 11:42:53
Print Post

Hi Zarjaz, hope this isn't too late for you, don't often get on here more than once a day.
That 4G router is this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-CPE-WiFi-Wireless-...

Yes I know the seller feedback score is not great. The item itself works well enough. The one downside is it came with a Euro 2 pin PSU, and with a UK to EU adapter. (I got pelters on another thread for using that EU adapter).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-20 12:19:47
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

Thank you. smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to