General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 13:52:29
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I wanted to add my problems here as I switched to Three mobile broadband in December and all was fine, now (over the last week or two) I am having serious issues with the 4G broadband.

NowTV and Amazon are slow and sometimes won't even connect, Amazon music doesn't work fully on my Sonos system now either.

I tried everything to try and fix it and the only thing that does is a force to 3G (I have the B535 router).

When on 3G I have no problems whatsoever, everything connects fine first time the only issue is it's half the speed of the 4G.

After noting the issues above I have just tried the fast.com speed test (Netflix powered) and speedtest.net - fast.com 2.5mbps, speedtest.net 20mbps

I can't work out how they can stop the 4G working properly but 3G works. I have complained and they are 'investigating' the problems so I'll await any answer from Three.

This looked to be a perfect solution to my slow broadband (we can't get FTTC here) and now I'm regretting it, thankfully I opted for the 30 day contract.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:50:53
Print Post

[re: terry_h] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by terry_h:
This looked to be a perfect solution to my slow broadband (we can't get FTTC here) and now I'm regretting it, thankfully I opted for the 30 day contract.

^^ Same here... so I have a decision next week on whether to do a return/refund. OR (and more likely tbh) I may push on a little further and consider using Vodafone (Voxi) unlimited instead - at least until 3 gets their act together

This weekend I'm going to test in a different location & try a few other things if the problem surfaces.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:57:20
Print Post

I wanted to add my problems here as I switched to Three mobile broadband in December and all was fine, now (over the last week or two) I am having serious issues with the 4G broadband.

NowTV and Amazon are slow and sometimes won't even connect, Amazon music doesn't work fully on my Sonos system now either.

I tried everything to try and fix it and the only thing that does is a force to 3G (I have the B535 router).

When on 3G I have no problems whatsoever, everything connects fine first time the only issue is it's half the speed of the 4G.

After noting the issues above I have just tried the fast.com speed test (Netflix powered) and speedtest.net - fast.com 2.5mbps, speedtest.net 20mbps

I can't work out how they can stop the 4G working properly but 3G works. I have complained and they are 'investigating' the problems so I'll await any answer from Three.

Pretty much what im experiencing . 3G fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:58:20
Print Post

It could be the 4G mast equipment is being updated in readiness for their 5G network. A few months ago mine went really lousy for weeks, and I was seriously weighing up EE process and how much allowance I would need, then one day it simply cleared up.

On some speed tests last night I was clocking up 58-60Mbps downstream and over 30 upstream. Better than in my 12-month old sig!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User danny182
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:19:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have recently signed up to the service with 3 and B555 router. I plugged it in and boom lighting fast speed netflix streaming in 4K no problem. Worked great for 3 weeks until all of a sudden netflix would not buffer past 0.5mbps 480p!! I got a text telling me work was being done in my area (The local Mast) they informed me it would be completed by the 24th. To date, there has not been any improvement. I have an open complaint and 3 are trying to tell me my rights to cancel are in the first 14 days.... funny how it was perfect during this time. Anywho I ran some further tests using speed.net 58mbps download 26 upload.... perfect . I try netflix and still it won't go past 0.5mbps. I run the speedtest from fast.com and it reflects the slow netflix speed at 1mbps download.... Now this is where it gets interesting... I turn on my vpn and all of a sudden boooom full speed again netflix in glorious 4k.. switch it off and back to 0.5mps 480p... It would apear that they are throttling the nextflix service... Not sure what to do now do i let it run irs course or do i take my complaint further with 3 and ofcom. After reading the coments here it would seem I am not the only one.
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:31:01
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
^^ Same here... so I have a decision next week on whether to do a return/refund. OR (and more likely tbh) I may push on a little further and consider using Vodafone (Voxi) unlimited instead - at least until 3 gets their act together

Vodafone themselves have just launched their own unlimited data plans, £37 a month for 30 day contract. I'm with Vodafone for mobile so they'll give me 15% discount on that they say.

I have a complaint in with Three but they say no work is being done in the area.

Looking at options now. EE is a no go as the upload speed is poor waiting on a Vodafone data sim to check their speed with the router.
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:35:16
Print Post

[re: danny182] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danny182:
I try netflix and still it won't go past 0.5mbps. I run the speedtest from fast.com and it reflects the slow netflix speed at 1mbps download.... Now this is where it gets interesting... I turn on my vpn and all of a sudden boooom full speed again netflix in glorious 4k.. switch it off and back to 0.5mps 480p... It would apear that they are throttling the nextflix service...

My internet connection with Three is mostly fine and fast but NowTV, Amazon Video and some music streaming plays up so it appears they are throttling all streaming.

Their terms say they only do that when there are equipment issues in a certain area but they tell me there is nothing wrong in my area.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Feb-20 17:04:03
Print Post

Most people using phones won't realise that 4G is congested, and 3G is faster.

Here is a 2016 picture of how much radio spectrum - for 4G - the 4 operators CAN allocate to a mast site. To do that costs an absolute fortune in hardware, so they usually only deploy an affordable amount to the area.
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

For 5G the game changes completely, Three has vastly more (100mhz) than the other operators (50Mhz, 40Mhz). However Three's real 5G (ignoring the other network in London, branded Three Broadband) only switched on yesterday is VERY thin, and so more months building work is required.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 22:17:58
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus *DELETED*

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Post deleted by planetf1
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sat 29-Feb-20 11:19:03
Print Post

I'm now trying the B535 on three (3Internet APN) in a different location (1Gbps connection turned off!!!!) as I wanted to 'stress' the B535 a little more with many devices inc. wired.

A few problems still noticed
- Whilst we watched netflix (1080p) mostly fine last night, the video did pause about 3 times, and then revert to 'low'quality for 20s or so. On one occasion it wouldn't unpause (appleTV)
- a fast.com speedtest isn't great - 1-2 Mbps
- a regular speedtest is 20 Mbps+ (it's a less good 3 area sadly)
- No browsing stalls noted last night, but noticing a few this morning on random sites - not quite 100% sure
- using VPN (windflix) results in fast.com speedtest being closer to line speed - 15 Mbps+

Just a thought - GoBinge is 'optional' and one can opt out .... I wonder if that is a factor
http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge

Tempted to call three and cancel that 'enhancement' ? Since I'm on unlimited data anyway
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to