General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Mar-20 18:36:48
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Have you seen the stuff earlier in the thread about getting the Go Binge turned off?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 07-Mar-20 18:08:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I turned gobinge off, but it wasn't relevant because I don't really use the services that gobinge affects.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 07-Mar-20 18:11:16
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
The first few months of Three broadband I experienced was brilliant 50-60Mb/s 24 hours a day and I had no complaints at all with the service, since January the quality of service has plummeted IMHO. Whilst I believe it's to do with the Three 5g roll-out being implemented really badly, the lack of "keeping customers informed" has just made the situation worse.

Its obviously a lack of backbone bandwidth to Three's broadband service since the 5g rollout. I get that they're traffic shaping the service whilst they load balance 5g, but the way they've gone about it has impacted existing 4g customers massively at the expense of a fast service for their new 5g customers.
That matches my experience, but I'm not impressed by the argument that it's to do with the 5G rollout: we don't have any 5G coverage on Three round here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 08-Mar-20 11:29:53
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Ok an update.

Back in Brighton (where I was having issues before) and the problems with stalling of connections most definately continue. All kinds of pages/sites (github, microsoft, bbc, youtube, google, local council .. all kinds) just fail to complete loading - or at least take 1-2 minutes to do so (if they don't timeout). Alexa struggles with some content - especially playing from tunein - nothing/silence & delays in amazon music. This was across 5 devices - iPhone8, iPhoneXSMax, Macbook Pro 15 2016, MS surface, LG smart TV (and and various devices like watches)

The removal of gibinge last week does mean the netflix etc specific issue of throttling has gone, so speeds are back at the 25-35 Mbps down (20-25 up) range, including on fast.com. Ping around 50ms. But it also confirms that for me at least gobinge was an issue with video throttling, but not the cause of the more general problem. (As usual dissecting apart multiple issues can be tricky)

Wanting to check the B535 itself I tried a Vodafone Sim. Oh WOW. What a difference. Ran it for over 24 hours (got through about 17GB) - web browsing, VoIP calls, facetime, netflix, downloads - all kinds. Absolutely impeccable. Subjectively things felt snappier. Ping time was down to 30ms, and speeds up to 100-148 Mbps (avg about 120 Mbp) down, and over 40 Mbps up. Zero delays. Of course mostly that just means vodafone is faster here. My primary concern is stability.

Vodafone is also at least 35 (Voxi) maybe 38 for unlimited/no speedcap on 1 month rolling - though if three isn't resolved I see little option. I'm planning to call to cancel, and then if things change in the notice period I can abort the cancelation.

Back to the 3 sim today and so far (30 mins in) no delays. Back to the slower speeds of course. Oh well. I suspect that reliability assessment will prove true. And it does seem to be somewhat related to local network - since in Hampshire whilst I think I noticed one or two stalls, in a day, of far more devices and activity & data useage it basically held up very well.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Mon 09-Mar-20 07:48:27
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Can confirm also Go binge taken off my account, did it online as was close to billing date and thought of talking to them on phone or chat was more than I could deal with.

Netflix is now back to normal.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 09-Mar-20 08:39:40
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I think we have multiple issues at work - affecting different people.

* GoBinge - this seems to work as we expect to some expect, only affecting streaming, and easily removed. Good news
* XBox - some reports of xbox downloads have issues. Three called me yesterday and say this is fixed (as of sat)
* Ad-hoc stalls - this may be just a local issue for me in Brighton, but it is definate ongoing despite the above two fixes.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-20 17:45:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well today Three broadband is seriously on the fritz again for me! Never seen it this slow.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15838618614...

An amazing 4.58Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.

Tried xbox, best it can manage is 1mb! Averages 500kb!

Went onto Three's web chat, first thing they did was copy and paste a message saying they are not detecting any problems with the service and to ring technical support! Because they're likely to admit there's a issue too eh?

How can a service that was so good last year become so bad so quickly?
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-20 19:59:07
Print Post

Unlimited mobile broadband wasn't really a thing last year. Sure, you could throw an unlimited sim into a 4g router but i don't think many were willing to fork out a lump sum for a 4g router. Now Three are offering a router with an unlimited sim at a very cheap price. The probable reason for decline in speed and reliability.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-20 20:45:31
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I think you are spot on. Short of a mountain being built between me and the mast my router connects too, I "should" be getting the same consistent high speeds I got when I joined three last November. My connections RSRP, RSRQ and SNIR have remained the same as in November but the speed and reliability of the service has drastically fell.

During "today's" slow phase on Three broadband (when I gave up with the xbox), I rebooted the B535-232 it took it 5-10 minutes to even connect to the mast and when it did it dropped out twice with the connected light turning red before staying light blue.

Possible cause? Oversubscribed services on the mast?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-20 21:10:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
Possible cause? Oversubscribed services on the mast?

More likely weather and atmospheric changes mean you're not picking up as strong a signal, assuming you've been getting 4G (LTE) all this time. If you were getting 3G (UMTS) then this can reduce its power output (ie, coverage) when under heavy load. 2G, 4G and 5G do not do this.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to