General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-20 19:32:43
Print Post

Re: Is Three struggling at the moment or is it just me

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
EE is doing better so far. No flaky connections and I've been able to disable my script that rebooted the router once a day.

EE have a lot more radio capacity deployed, so even if they have the same number of users in your area, there is more per user.

Across the country EE has over double the users of Three, based on the customer stats on Wikipedia.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:17:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
EE have a lot more radio capacity deployed, so even if they have the same number of users in your area, there is more per user.

Round me they don't have a lot more, though I know they have more 3G/4G spectrum available to use than Three do. For example the tower I'm connected to has 20Mhz whereas Three on the same tower has 15Mhz. And there are more Three towers in the immediate area than EE ones.

None of the EE towers around here appear to be offering more than 20Mhz of bandwidth. There is a single Three tower in the area that gets 20Mhz thanks to CA.

I suspect the higher price of unlimited data on EE has as much impact as their extra spectrum/masts.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:39:11
Print Post

A lot of the problem with the way 4g home broadband is sold is that the information isn't easily available, because the carriers don't want people to know how under invested their infrastructure really is.

What 4g home customers need is a website where they can put their home postcode in and it'll tell them what masts from what carriers are in range, what bands they operate on and what spectrum bandwidth the carriers have to operate it over.

That way you could get "a better" idea which carrier would be best for you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:45:10
Print Post

Round me they don't have a lot more, though I know they have more 3G/4G spectrum available to use than Three do. For example the tower I'm connected to has 20Mhz whereas Three on the same tower has 15Mhz. And there are more Three towers in the immediate area than EE ones.

Yes, each area will vary, but in terms of total holdings deployed for 4G (LTE), EE has much more than Three, see these graphics:
https://pedroc.co.uk/content/uk-commercial-mobile-sp...

None of the EE towers around here appear to be offering more than 20Mhz of bandwidth. There is a single Three tower in the area that gets 20Mhz thanks to CA.

I wonder if your area population is lower, or less EE customers than other networks.

Here my local mast is only capable of Band 3, but I have 20+15 on EE, but on Three there is only 15mhz. Neither network has Band 20 deployed in town. Vodafone has Band 1 and Band 20.

I suspect the higher price of unlimited data on EE has as much impact as their extra spectrum/masts.

I wonder if EE are high, or Three are too cheap to build a performing network? I notice SIM only prices on Vodafone and O2 are quite similar to EE. Three are WAY cheaper.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:45:59
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

This is where the Cellmapper site is the only place to look. Being crowd sourced, it needs people with Android phones to run the app and upload their findings.

Standard User cje85
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:54:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

It's rare for an EE mast to only transmit 20MHz. There will almost certainly be a second 10 or 15MHz carrier in the 1800MHz band. The second carrier is itself being increased to 20MHz in some places, leaving only 5MHz of 2G/GSM.

Edited by cje85 (Sun 05-Jul-20 12:56:43)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 13:00:53
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:
It's rare for an EE mast to only transmit 20MHz. There will almost certainly be a second 10 or 15MHz carrier in the 1800MHz band. The second carrier is itself being increased to 20MHz in some places, leaving only 5MHz of 2G/GSM.

There are a few around here that are single band B3, but the large towers that cover half the town are dual B3, (20+15) and the town centre mast has B3+B7+B7 for 20+20+15.

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 15:21:01
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:

I've not found any towers yet around me, just east of Colchester, that are giving me CA on my iPhone XS. Admittedly I've not been ranging far and wide thanks to lockdown, but not a lot of CA around here yet (or if there is, the towers aren't offering to me).

My Mikrotik is CA ready and it sees two different bands on Three, only gets the single 20Mhz on EE.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 15:56:24
Print Post

Assuming your iPhone XS is also on EE then in Field Test mode you should see under LTE -> CA Status an entry for “Component Carrier 0” or more. If you don’t have that then yes, no CA.

This is highly possible if speeds are around 50 Mbps, and you have light population density. I know from Tweets from others, that EE seem to have a target average of 50 Mbps, so if you get this fairly constantly then they won’t add capacity. If your area falls below this then they could add capacity to bring the average speeds back up.

If your iPhone shows CA but your Microtik does not, then perhaps the mast doesn’t like your Microtik.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Jul-20 16:04:00)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 16:16:11
Print Post

I've not found any towers yet around me, just east of Colchester, that are giving
me CA on my iPhone XS.

Not sure how far east you are, but this map may be useful.

As you can see a lot of EE masts, and on the A120 there are some with Band 3 and Band 20 deployed. What you can't tell unless you click on the mast, is if it has been updated with two sets of transmission for the same band.

Also if the last time the mast was surveyed was a while ago, it may have changed. e.g. anything May/June 2020 should be good, but if 2019 things MIGHT have changed.

eNB 16721 for example has B3 (1617) +B20 (6225), but the mast may not be allowing CA between them.

In my town, my mast has B3 (1617) + B3 (1788) but no B20.

Rural areas benefit from B20 due to distance covered, so if its a farming area this would make sense.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Jul-20 16:16:32)

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to