General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 14:52:48
Print Post

Re: Is Three struggling at the moment or is it just me

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My phone doesn't show CA (neither does Cellmapper for all but one of the masts around me).

I've used the Field Test mode a fair bit. We are well covered by EE masts around the area, when I've been out walking recently I've run the odd test. I rarely see under 50 Mbps in the area and I never see CA.

In the 4x4 mile box around where I am there are about 8 EE masts, according to Cellmapper, all only on band 3 and all only using a single frequency. Which matches what I've seen when out and about.

Further west you hit Colchester with a far higher population density and there they have lots of two or three band masts. And further east there are some too, especially when you hit Clacton, but just where I am there is no CA.

And if you look at Cellmapper you'll see that as soon as you are away from a town or a significant road EE are down to one band/frequency only.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jul-20 15:37:45
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
I've used the Field Test mode a fair bit. We are well covered by EE masts around the area, when I've been out walking recently I've run the odd test. I rarely see under 50 Mbps in the area and I never see CA.
That is good speeds, my local mast dropped to around 5 Mbps, and often 1 Mbps, for 6 months or so, and then EE added the second B3 carrier of 15 Mhz. That brought speeds up to 100 Mbps in many cases.... until lockdown. Now I'm generally seeing 25 to 30 Mbps.

There is obviously a LOT of load here, but not surprising because the mast has been central in the housing estate for decades, where the competition was quite late to good indoor coverage.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 16:24:07
Print Post

Luckily my local mast has two segments facing a small town and one segment facing out largely over rural countryside. I'm on the quiet rural segment.

Our downstream is varying between 50 and 90 Mbps (with downstream rarely below 40 Mbps).

Unlike Three the speeds vary fairly predictable, dipping during the evening streaming period. On Three the slow times were basically random rather than matching typical high load periods.

Most of the other masts I'm close to while out and about in the immediate area are also in rural spots with low population density, hence decent speeds from a single 20MHz band.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jul-20 17:12:29
Print Post

Great ! I'm on 3 sector mast which is very tall (above 3 story nursing home) and it covers a large area. Before the load from everyone at home, I had very good speeds at home, but moving slightly further away would give over 100 regularly! Now about 30 on a good day smile

The competition has improved, but Vodafone for example gives 35 to 40 now, used to be awful smile

Standard User kams19
(learned) Thu 09-Jul-20 13:40:43
Print Post

I think Vodafone has decent deals on Unltd data options.. it comes to around £14 after cashback.. and the speed is decent and consistent. Not good for someone who needs public IP.
I have kept my 3 connection for backup and strangely its having decent download/upload today. Not sure if they have finally got a grip over the network?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 20:41:59
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kams19:
I think Vodafone has decent deals on Unltd data options.. it comes to around £14 after cashback.. and the speed is decent and consistent. Not good for someone who needs public IP.
That is a good price, is that for the full speed? I assume this is a phone SIM deal, used in a data device?

I have kept my 3 connection for backup and strangely its having decent download/upload today. Not sure if they have finally got a grip over the network?

More likely some heavy users have moved out of the coverage of that mast, perhaps gone shopping?!

Standard User kams19
(learned) Fri 10-Jul-20 10:21:30
Print Post

yes the vodafone sim is all unltd options (full speed).. you can check on fonehouse, mobiles .co . uk, etc

Maybe - the slow loading of pages is back on 3 so im back to vodafone. my happiness was short lived.
Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-20 16:14:40
Print Post

Re: Is Three�s network struggling at the moment or is it j

I have come back here and registered specifically to try and give some hope and a solution to people who (like myself) have been having really weird 'sticky' internet with Three.

E.g. you'll be browsing fine, then suddenly it just starts to refuse to load pages. Often until you restart but that doesn't always fix it.

Here is what I have done.

Firstly, I got a TP Link Archer Mr6 router. This took my speed from around 12mbs to 40mbs and 4G+. Great I thought, all sorted.

Nope, same issue, but now I can get faster speeds between the issue happening.

Here is where I hit gold though.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM sitting about. This happens to be one of the routers that ExpressVPN release their own software for.

I have now put that router between the TP Link Archer and my home wifi. This means that all the traffic on the network now goes in and out of a VPN connection. Three is no longer doing any of the DNS or traffic routing/lookups.

Since I have put this VPN in the middle my internet has been absolutely lightening fast and not got stuck once! On any device.

So... here is a way for you to test if this solution might work for you.

1. Get connected as usual
2. Install Express VPN as a trial on your machine (other VPNs may do the same I expect)
3. See how your internet is on THAT specific machine while connected

If you find that this resolves the issue for long enough, you might then consider putting your own ExpressVPN router VPN in-between three and your home wifi.

Right now I have

Archer
goes into
WRT3200ACM with express vpn firmware installed
goes into
ORBI home wifi to get the signal through the house

Yeah, it's not a cheap setup, but now out in the country I have 50mbs flawless. Very happy.

There are very likely cheaper ways to achieve this but hopefully this triggers some ideas.

Finally, I did try setting up express VPN on the threeUK supplied 4g modem as it has space to do so. At the time I found that broke some things / it wasn't great so I removed those settings in the end. That may be worth exploring as perhaps with another VPN or your specific network setup that will work just fine.

Anyway, I hope this maybe helps someone smile
Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 12:46:29
Print Post

[re: gogothree] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gogothree:
I have come back here and registered specifically to try and give some hope and a solution to people who (like myself) have been having really weird 'sticky' internet with Three.

Thanks for posting that. It gave me more confidence to try something similar, as I too had the nasty Three internet issues - websites stalling, freezing, etc.

I had a Draytek 2860 router laying around and tried to put ExpressVPN on it (between my Unifi system, and the Huawei B593s in the loft) - however, even with lots of help from ExpressVPN I just failed to make it work properly. Google.com would load fine, bbc.co.uk wouldn't, and most sites were just failing to load. I have no idea what was wrong, so gave up.

So I then tried NordVPN using their recommended Draytek setup. Initially had problems as the password on the Draytek is limited to 15 characters, and the NordVPN suggestion was far longer - but the Draytek site has some updated info and says to use the normal account login details, which work fine (minus any odd characters).

Now everything works perfectly - no drop in speed (the Draytek can handle 50Mbps, and my link is normally around 30Mbps) and webpages now work properly - fingers crossed it stays that way!
Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 13:48:41
Print Post

[re: rpdm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rpdm:
Now everything works perfectly - no drop in speed (the Draytek can handle 50Mbps, and my link is normally around 30Mbps) and webpages now work properly - fingers crossed it stays that way!

Well I gave up on the VPN in the end.

Trying to keep the VPN server URL up to date as Netflix gradually catches up and blocks them was a nightmare. Some clothing websites also block the traffic, and my remote-login to work became very unreliable.

I then tried a Vodafone SIM, got a full 5 bar signal, but barely more than 5Mbps download (20Mbps upload), which apparently is a known issue at the moment (see Vodafone forums).

So I'm back to Three with it's known page-stalling 'feature'... at least until my 2-year wait for FTTPoD is finally over in 2 months.
Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to