General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | [29] | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:37:28
Print Post

Re: Is Three�s network struggling at the moment or is it j

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Rarely, when the "feature" shows its head it doesn't matter what website I try to visit, my browser simply hangs until it times out or does nothing. Then as quick as the issue raises its head it disappears.

I thought it might be something to do with firefox using link and dns prefetching but they're disabled, also network.http.speculative-parallel-limit (speculative pre-connections) but that's set to zero.
Standard User GMScribe
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-20 20:09:44
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network with the rest of the Three network, pages are constantly failing to load and stalling.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Aug-20 21:36:28
Print Post

[re: GMScribe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GMScribe:
I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network

The former Relish / UK Broadband network that Three purchased?? Were you a customer of Relish before?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 28-Aug-20 22:01:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network

The former Relish / UK Broadband network that Three purchased?? Were you a customer of Relish before?

I was a Relish customer for 12 months...bargain on the face of it. Nightmare to get anything working with it. VOIP especially.
Standard User Monkey
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 00:18:49
Print Post

[re: GMScribe] [link to this post]

I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network with the rest of the Three network, pages are constantly failing to load and stalling.

I've had the same problem since my 5G connection was moved from the UKBroadband network to the Three network. Very annoying. Fortunately, using a VPN gets around the problem but that shouldn't be necessary.

Does anyone know if Three have acknowledged the issue and are planning to fix it?
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 09:32:37
Print Post

[re: Monkey] [link to this post]

They are well aware of it but are unwilling to acknowledge it or publicly accept it exists. I think they've got a routing issue across their core they either don't have the knowledge to fix or owe a network provider money, or possibly both.
Standard User Appy
(learned) Mon 07-Sep-20 11:39:16
Print Post

My area was recently upgraded to 5G so I thought I'd give Three Broadband a try. I've been a customer for years on 2 phone contracts and never had any cause for complaint. The router arrived, plugged in & seemed to pick up a good 5G signal (96% on their tester in the web interface).Initial tests were good with between 400 and 500 Mbps.

I was initially happy. However it soon became apparent that their core network is not very mature. Websites were just sluggish even though ping latency was good. Sometimes sites just won't load at all for 30-60secs. Sometimes static assets on a page (an image, etc) would be missing. Seems like their network has a packet loss issue. I used Wireshark to grab some network traffic & I could see timeouts & retransmissions, and massively delayed TCP responses.

I switched back to my Sky Broadband connection and noticed an immediate performance improvement. Whilst it was only giving ~60Mbps download speeds, websites would load quickly and completely without the same delay that I'd see on Three.

It's a shame, but I shall be calling them today to return it under the 14 day distance selling option. I'll check back again in future to see if they've improved their core network because their last mile is amazing.
Standard User LondonCalling
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-20 14:57:15
Print Post

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

Just to add to this thread I'm using Three broadband with an external 5G router. I get pretty good network speeds of between 250 to 300 download and 15 to 25 upload. Latency is consistently low – less than 20 ms.

What I've found is similar to the other users on here i.e. the 5G network availability is pretty reliable but page load times and content loading is extremely hit and mess – some images don't load but simply changing from the three connection to EE results in an immediate page load. Connecting through a vpn completely removes the issue of slow content albeit only on devices that can support vpn.

Three clearly have some problems in their core network that are now pretty long-standing. The reality for me is that I would rather pay more to have an EE 5G connection than carry on using Three. Ironically Three has financial issues that could be solved by attracting more higher paying subscribers to the network.
Standard User richi
(member) Tue 08-Sep-20 16:28:42
Print Post

Quick pointer to this thread, where I describe how it's fixed for me: Three is finally working properly OMFG.

70/30 Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 07:15:01
Print Post

[re: LondonCalling] [link to this post]

1.1.1.1 warp helps with page loading, it tunnels the DNS lookup so Three cannot mess the process up
Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | [29] | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to