General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Feb-20 23:08:46
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

Try pinging that/those IPv6 address(es) using an external tool like the BQM here wink.

Also, is that with your phone connecting to the internet through an EE mobile router, or direct using mobile data with the phone SIM?

I get different, and surprising, results from all the above on Three. I have a Three u/l "everything" SIM in the phone and the Three HomeFi u/l data SIM in their router.

Also is the IPv6 an fe80, or something else?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 11:57:05
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

27Mbps would be great. Still only 3Mbps here on 4G 1800.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15821108438...

But network status now says "We're really sorry. There's an issue with the network in your area at the moment."

I've just noticed that the Three page called Check coverage & network status does NOT give network status, only coverage information. The page called Network & coverage support does show the status (although that checker is currently down). So they may have been reporting network issues for several days without me noticing, I can't remember which checker I've used previously.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 12:28:57
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

The network status remains same irrespective of which postcode you use, that to me looks like the problem is throughout the network. Or the network status tool is [censored] up.
I happened to speak to Three Network team yesterday and they say all the issues have started when they have introduced Carrier Aggregation 6 months back, since then the speed has been fluctuating. Right now they are testing for the 5G launch. They have asked me the standard 7 days for an update. I am not after 4G, as my area wont get it in first phase, i am happy with 45M 4G, lets hope the network stabilises soon, else i will have to move to different service provider in short term.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-20 13:16:19
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
Try a free VPN, it should solve your issues in the short term.

Yep works fine, they are basically traffic managing these 3 mobile phone unlimited sims on Netflix as far as I can tell, it works fine through a VPN, and it is also fine on my 100Gb 3 Mobile broadband sim. I can remember talk ages ago that they where doing this restriction but for me up until about two weeks ago they had not.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 14:52:34
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

Earlier today, before the checker went offline, it was giving different results for different postcodes. For my postcode and others nearby it said there are network issues. For postcodes covered by the adjacent sector from the same mast it said essential maintenance had recently been completed.

My slow speeds are not due to carrier aggregation at the local mast because it doesn't have it yet. Not that it would help without additional 4G frequencies because 800 is even more congested than 1800.

I still believe my slow speeds are mainly due to congested radio spectrum at a busy site which desperately needs upgrading (and ultimately they need to add more sites to the network). O2 on the same mast are using 800+1800+2100 with carrier aggregation, which is more than Three, and their network status for months has been "Our network’s very busy in this area. So at certain times of day you might experience slower data. Sorry about that. But we’re working to make it better for you." Even EE with their 65MHz of aggregated capacity gets congested at peak times, yet can go >100Mbps late at night when half of it has been turned off to save energy.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:19:12
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

Looks like you are in bigger city like London/B'gham/manchester the network there is definitely congested. If you have EE with 65Mhz congested there, then no chance 3 would cope up!
Despite 3 having good 5G spectrum, it will be interesting to see how they can make the high frequency waves reach to majority with so much fewer masts.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 16:09:19
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

I'm in Colchester which is not a big city (or even a city at all) but there's no Gfast and most of the area covered by my local mast has no Virgin Media either. Just FTTC from mainly ECI cabinets. 4G mobile used to be much faster than my FTTC, which has slowed considerably over the years due to crosstalk, but with all networks now offering unlimited data it's probably inevitable they will get congested until they become slower than what people can get from fixed line broadband.

I am not optimistic that 5G will solve that issue until the networks splash out on more cell sites and FTTP becomes more widely available to reduce demand on mobile for home broadband.

At least there's VXFIBER to look forward to locally, if it ever gets built. The council has an LFFN grant which must be spent by March 2021, but I expect openreach will soon announce a Fibre First rollout to scupper VXFIBER's plan to extend that into an FTTP network, then do nothing for ages.
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:10
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I decided to give up on Three for now I move to EE, if I could get the performance I wanted.

Got a PAYG SIM and did some testing. Luckily EE is on the same mast as Three and in my testing I can get 80/30 on my B525 with a couple of external yagi antennas (as compared to 30/30 on a pair of small external ones). So if I drop the EE SIM into my Mikrotik SXT I should be good to go.

The only problem is, I can't buy a SIM only plan. I've been trying on and off for over a week now. Your online store never seems to be working. Either never gets to the shopping basket or says 'Sorry our online shop is not available right now". Tried clearing cookies and different browsers.

So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-20 14:23:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !

That's odd, have you disabled any adblock or privacy block or security software?

Try calling them, or if you have an EE store locally, you can buy in-store.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 18:24:52
Print Post

Give EE a call. I did and they offered me a business 4G unlimited broadband SIM only deal for less than the headline personal unlimited phone SIM price - I wanted a SIM to use as a business broadband replacement, but their phone SIMs are intended for one person and the broadband SIMs are expensive and capped, but they offered me what I wanted for less than I was willing to pay. It may depend on just who answers the phone, but you might be lucky.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to