General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:18:54
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
No problems with Amazon Prime 4K for me on Three. The is a dedicated Netflix speed tester and I get 73Mb with a Three/Voda dual wan router, Router tells me the 73Mb is 51Mb Three and 22Mb Voda. Three is band 3 only, turned off the CA with band 20 as its makes no real difference.

Surprised a single router can aggregate two different ISPs without a bonding option, or a bonding VPN over the top. Which one is it?

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:43
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
I just setup a B535 yesterday and today we were having intermittent browsing issues across multiple devices -- long pauses before loading youtube etc. Speeds around the 30 Mbps mark so not in itself an issue, but pages just hanging on loading for a minute or more.

You could try using a different DNS, or not using the router as a DNS proxy, either of those might help rule out what is going on.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:23:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by kommando:
Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.
That's a good bit of kit, but it can't add the two connections together. You can have two downloads running, one at 50 Mbps, and one at 22 Mbps, but you can't have a single download at 70 Mbps.

If fast.com and/or speedtest.net and/or this site's speed test is showing higher than the max of one of your lines, then it is something else going on. Fast.com can often be affected by internet security software, and browser caching.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:58)

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:12:46
Print Post

To get what you say then I set it to sessions not load balancing, it then will only allow one of the Wan's to feed one internal IP address if it only has one session going, but most have multiple sessions, this laptop has 30 sessions currently. Load balancing allows both wan's to feed one internal IP as long as it multi threaded which is that Fast website is. The only time I am forced to only use one wan on load balanced is a single file only in one section but that is very rare as download managers break it down to multiple sections and peer to peer is always multiple.

So it does add both 99.9% of the time.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:49:49
Print Post

I see what you mean, but it isn't really aggregating in the way we used to use Multi-Link PPP (ML-PPP) connections.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:51:33
Print Post

So what, it works.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 18:30:00
Print Post

Ive had loads of different routers and many different Drayteks and without fail a Session based load balanced Draytek is by far the best thing at combining two connections that you will get, yes its not bonding but ANY multi session activity, which is most things on the net these days and it will work, some of them like the 3220 I use will 'learn' periodically how the connections are doing and adjust the load automatically.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Sun 23-Feb-20 19:18:06
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

So I've just tried some speed tests straight after each other to see the difference between 3internet and three.co.uk APN's.

3internet - 24.9 Mbps latency- 75ms http://tbb.st/1582484867877064355
three.co.uk - 42.2 Mbps latency- 63ms http://tbb.st/1582485133899748955

Latency isn't too great on either mind.

Think I'll leave it set to three.co.uk and monitor the situation.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 07:59:05
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I couldn't see any significant difference in latency or throughput with 3internet vs three.co.uk.

For now the router is back on 3internet (as default) to see how stability goes there.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to