General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 10:56:48
Print Post

Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it just me

[link to this post]

I switched from FTTC to using Three for my home broadband about a year ago, using a Mikrotik SXT LTE.

It is worked really well for much for the last year and I’ve never had to fallback to the Plusnet FTTC line I’ve still got as a backup.

However, the last couple of weeks has been pretty awful. I don’t believe that my connection to the Three mast has got any worse, signal strength has been incredibly consistent over the year:

https://toop.microsign.co.uk/fud/lte/localdomain/loc...

And over the year speed has been reasonably reliable (with the odd bad day when it dipped a bit):

But the last couple of weeks have not been good, this is typically what I’ve been seeing from speedtest.net:

To me it seems to be parts of Three’s network not coping, as when it is bad the speed from different places can be totally inconsistent. I’ll do a TBB or speedof.me speed test and get a solid 80/30 then immediately after do a speedtest.net on that gets sub 30/10 (and the repeat both to see the speedtest.net is still very slow).

Or news.bbc.co.uk will be loading fine and facebook isn’t, or YouTube will load without buffering, report 45MB+ bandwidth in the nerd tools, and yet at the same time Prime Video will buffer.

Oddly though it isn’t connected to peak times, it is bad this morning at 10:30 for example, well out of any peak times.

But I've not seen lots of other people complaining about recent deterioration of performance, which makes me wonder if it is a problem specific to me on the mast I'm using.

It could of course be my Mikrotik, I broke my ankle a couple of months ago, so haven’t been able to swap out my spare one to test that. I've tried to check against Three on my phone when there have been issues, but that has been inconsistent (sometimes the phone is also slow, sometimes is isn't).

Anyone else having problems with Three like this ?

It has never got quite bad enough to drive me back to the 25/4 MB Plusnet FTTC line, but I'm definitely going to be investigating EE when I get a bit more mobile again.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Feb-20 11:42:33
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

It seems to happen to all of us for a few weeks, then clear up. Believed to be to do with major upgrades to their network.

Mine did exactly what you describe for 3-4 weeks in the second half of last year, on both my phone when at home and the HomeFi, and I got quite worried. Often only getting H+ on the phone. The HomeFi stayed on LTE but lousy and very variable throughout.

Then one day it cleared up on both and has been rock solid ever since.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:33:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
, , , but I'm definitely going to be investigating EE when I get a bit more mobile again.

Nice pun!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:41:45
Print Post

Mine's been poop for last couple of weeks too. Most of the time the speeds have been reduced to 10mb or so, however I've also seen times when speed test is fine yet Youtube and websites fail to load or load partially or glitches for now apparent reason

Network upgrades have been completed on my local mast 2 weeks ago but the service is clearly oversubscribed again in my area. Must be all these cheap deals finally coming home to roost as 2 masts cover a large population area.

When working from home the other day I noticed around 3pm - 4pm that the speed was not even 1mb, so tried testing speed at similar time and seems to be a common issue so must be the school children
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:46:23
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Mine does definitely not correlate with load on the mast.

Some nights it has been rock solid during peak streaming times. Some nights it has been awful even in the early hours of the morning. Overall the slowness has been incredibly inconsistent both in the times it occurs and the actual parts of the Internet that it impacts.
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:04:34
Print Post

It has been particularly bad this afternoon. I'm switching to "three.co.uk" from "3internet" to see if that has any affect (it being pretty much the only network level thing I can tweak).
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:32:50
Print Post

Yes, its been absolutely shocking all last week for me, from last Thursday to today its been really unreliable too. The issue appears to be a lack of bandwidth at their end causing them to be traffic shaping, but at times it gets so bad available bandwidth is down to 56k modem speeds. I've seen times when I can't even get up google or thinkbroadband because the routers connected yet there's nothing there! It appears three is definitely throttling you-tube.

Rebooting the router can help, as your are assigned a new IP address on the network each time, but unfortunately it don't last long before it returns to "Pants" levels of bandwidth again.

Strangely when I turn on a free VPN trial it returns to full speed however on all those websites, so they're obviously having problems if they're limiting bandwidth to such an extent.

Another weird thing I've noticed is my mobile on 4g (on three, on the same mast) seems to work fast than my three router. So they're selectively throttling routers on their network, not mobiles.

Three do not seem keen to report network issues publicly when they have them, so they are not helping themselves much.

Edited by buggerlugs (Tue 11-Feb-20 19:40:43)

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:56:05
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I agree with what everyone has said, it has been dire especially at peak times and it does appear to be traffic shaping as far as I can tell, as at times my 4Mb adsl line was better in the evenings.
I have already put in a cancel notice for mine and Ill be left with my 100Gb mobile broadband one until FTTP/Gigafast comes along which is likely under two months away.

I will say though it has for 95% of the time saved me from being in internet hell for the past 14 months for which im grateful, but roll on 900Mb+500Mb Fibre services, cant wait.
Standard User bsod
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 21:57:36
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Yep, same here too,. we have some rather heavy downloaders in this area and then performance has varied from just about acceptable, to, well, shyte.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15804211481...

That's on 4G+ (supposedly).

Also has anyone noticed how 3 block ICMP on the new 'cloud' network?

Edited by bsod (Tue 11-Feb-20 21:58:46)

Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-20 22:16:44
Print Post

[re: bsod] [link to this post]

Things haven't been to bad since I switched to three mobile broadband last November until this last week.

Latency is apppalling:

Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=2131ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=870ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=3059ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1842ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=2922ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=883ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=355ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=536ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1863ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1647ms TTL=52

my 'normal' ping has been 30-40ms.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Wed 12-Feb-20 07:08:21
Print Post

[re: Timh30] [link to this post]

I think its high time Three just told their customers exactly what they are doing. I just hope its a nationwide upgrade roll out and not over subscription of the service.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:22:45
Print Post

My mast is shared with EE, it was down for 4 days last week for both networks but once back up there are no issues.
(member) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:56:42
Print Post

Things have improved since I switched to "three.co.uk", not that it proves anything, it could easily just be a coincidence.
(member) Wed 12-Feb-20 10:26:08
Print Post

Nope, back to awful again.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 13:43:54
Print Post

Same here. It's been bad since the bad weather with gales and floods at the weekend. Originally I put it down to the storms, but it isn't getting better.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-20 15:26:43
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Ditto here as well, i had 35-45M download earlier, which has come down to 15-20M. Plus frequent disconnections and it takes forever to load any page.3 has recently refarmed the Band 1 to 4G in my area, so my SXT goes to that band and the speed reduces further. When I fix it to Band 3, the speed increases to 15-20M.
I believe there is a setting in SXT to rewrite the TTL for all packets that can be a way round to traffic shaping - where speed on mobile is good but on tethered devices its low.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-20 19:55:26
Print Post

In summary I would say, no, it isn't you.

Timeouts and wildly fluctuating performance is very much going on at the moment and has for 2-3 weeks, but it has become a lot worse in the last week or so.

Seeing this fairly consistently in multiple areas where I've got 3 SIMs in use.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 14:58:04
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

I thought low speeds were just normal with 4G on Three.

4G: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15815562526...

3G: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15815561602...

That’s 4G still slower than 3G at 1am, as is for most of the day. No band 1 refarm or band 32 here, but they’re both desperately needed. Just the basic setup of band 3 & band 20 without carrier aggregation. I normally leave my Three sim set to 3G only for the most reliable throughout.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 15:43:27
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

There is a lot of load in your area. The effects of Unlimited !

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 18:24:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes a lot of load, so only financial reasons have stopped Three from upgrading the site already. No doubt compounded by selling unlimited everything for peanuts.

Although this afternoon with all networks under heavier load than at 1am, even EE can’t quite reach 10Mbps from the same mast and they are using 2x band 3 + 2x band 7 with carrier aggregation across all 4 carriers, 65MHz in total. At least that goes well above 100Mbps in the small hours. Three’s 15MHz of band 3 appears to be congested pretty much 24/7 now.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 18:43:30
Print Post

Unsurprising if 15MHz is overloaded if 65MHz is also suffering.

The only solution will be more masts, and move load away, but that takes years, especially with the planning permission headaches.

Are you in a big city? I'm guessing you must be to have 65MHz deployed from EE.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 23:10:34
Print Post

Colchester. Not exactly a big city.

The large amount of spectrum in use by EE is probably compensating for not having a dense enough network, which doesn’t bode well for future 5G performance. But at least they have done something to keep their network usable at peak times, for now. Often Three and Vodafone can’t even stream HD music let alone video.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 23:12:21
Print Post

I would suggest searching council planning sites to see if applications have been denied.

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-20 16:24:46
Print Post

It cannot possibly be a sudden increase in load EVERYWHERE. I am seeing exactly the same problems, starting a week ago, and I am pretty sure there is no sudden increase in load here.
Three has suddenly gone from being "good enough with a margin" to "not good enough by a significant margin". EE is now only £12 per month more expensive. I think it might be time to move.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:06:18
Print Post

No, and there are people (on other forums) reporting no issue.
Three are guilty of their marketing, saying they are the "network for unlimited" and "we have the best 5G" and probably have increased sales.

If you have 1000 people per mast, and now have 3000 people per mast, for the same deployed capacity, then things will slow down.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:26:36
Print Post

They didn't suddenly get hundreds of thousands more people all over the country in the last week or 2.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 18:15:19
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

Agreed. It could be the network rebuild project, or failures, perhaps caused by the storm(s).

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 21:33:36
Print Post

Yeah I'm guessing something related to the upgrade. I am still toying with what network to go with myself (for both home and phone), I was just going to go with three for the big chunk of 5g spectrum but the issues with 4g speeds make me think they are nowhere near a position to offer the best 5g speeds regardless of spectrum and the network upgrade (and that's if there is a 5g signal when they get around to releasing it end of the month). Pretty much gonna rule out three and its between EE and Voda for me. I can get 130mb on my S8+ on EE and a ping of 14-16ms which seems really good, not sure about voda and I doubt it would be better, I am not sure voda even have enough 4g spectrum to beat that speed? And damn sure they can't beat that ping.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:16:20
Print Post

Massive Netflix traffic management today, can hardly pull 300KBps, kick off a download at same time at that hitting 70Mbps no problem.
Time to give my 30 days notice on this I think.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:36:52
Print Post

Try a free VPN, it should solve your issues in the short term.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:38:08
Print Post

Funny you say that, was just in the middle of giving that a go.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 19:27:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If you have 1000 people per mast, and now have 3000 people per mast, for the same deployed capacity, then things will slow down.
How would that have happened over a period of two days last weekend? Has Three started sending out sim cards in the weekly junkmail?
The dramatic slowdown coincided with the disappearance of the note about dealing with "a complex network issue" in the area on the status page. Yes, it was also a weekend of very wild, wet and windy weather, but I think they have screwed up with the network redesign.
At first, some tracert tests showed multi-second delays a few hops into their network. Now they're only terrible.
I was foolish enough to contact Three support with help. All they managed to do was tell me to reset my router to factory defaults. as if that will affect their network capacity!

Here's a typical example: hops 4, 5 and 7 used to be visible until yesterday

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.200
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 116 ms 110 ms 96 ms 172.20.197.65
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 82 ms 98 ms 158 ms 172.21.25.85
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 57 ms 48 ms 55 ms 172.20.231.154
9 56 ms 48 ms 47 ms ip4.gtt.net [213.254.199.214]
10 48 ms 46 ms 48 ms et-0-0-41.cr11-lon2.ip4.gtt.net [213.254.199.213]
11 63 ms 56 ms 46 ms ip4.gtt.net [77.67.98.54]
12 49 ms 45 ms 48 ms ae-0.r24.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.140]
13 49 ms 47 ms 46 ms ae-8.r02.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.22]
14 55 ms 47 ms 42 ms 62.73.169.10
15 52 ms 49 ms 44 ms po4-31.core-rs4.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
16 57 ms 56 ms 46 ms ip106-141.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.106.141]

[Later]
Tried it through ProtonVPN:

1 55 ms 49 ms 62 ms 10.8.0.1
2 48 ms 59 ms 48 ms v112.ce01.lon-12.uk.leaseweb.net [95.168.185.252]
3 72 ms 64 ms 58 ms ae-4.br01.lon-11.uk.leaseweb.net [81.17.63.194]
4 64 ms 57 ms 65 ms et-12.bb01.lon-10.leaseweb.net [31.31.39.54]
5 83 ms 68 ms 59 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
6 62 ms 48 ms 59 ms te2-3-14.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.112]
7 87 ms 65 ms 60 ms po4-31.core-rs4.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
8 51 ms 41 ms 61 ms ip106-141.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.106.141]

Edited by hoopla (Sat 15-Feb-20 21:54:24)

Standard User kams19
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:16:05
Print Post

My 4g has gone from bad to worse since this morning. Frequent disconnections, very less download speed, unable to connect to office vpn. I changed the apn to three.co.uk then got a usable link. Does it seems to common to any of you.
(member) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:36:59
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

In my experience you can often get a temporary improvement just by resetting the 4G connection. Which happens when you change the APN.

So in my experience changing the APN to three.co.uk doesn't actually help, when I did it I thought it had helped, but after a couple of hours it was back to being intermittently poorly performing again. So I've gone back to 3internet again now, as having a real IP address and no NAT is useful some of the time.

I'm also investigating switching to EE though (where NAT will be the only option).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:37:59
Print Post

Won't EE cost rather a lot more for data?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 18-Feb-20 03:25:27
Print Post

My speeds are completely fine. Still getting around 60 down, 30 up on average. However, i have been noticing a lot more packet loss making online gaming and internet calls drop or become unplayable. Running a ping program clearly shows packet loss every 30 seconds or so with massive jumps exceeding 2k ms. Been happening for a couple of weeks now throughout day and night.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Tue 18-Feb-20 10:45:11
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Same here for the past 2 weeks, god awful connection with inability to download/stream at the same time, Also times when it was so slow my router was connected but got zero bandwidth.

This morning first thing appeared much improved (download speed wise at least), I was back up to 50-60, and even saw it hitting an occasional 70mb/s, still the latency needs work, but it appears whatever they're working on they are heading in the right direction.

edit:
Just done a speed test now and we're down to 27mb/s though........

Still work in progress for Three then.....
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 19:02:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It will, though I'm not on one of the mega cheap Three deals anyway, think I'm paying £27/month. So EE's unlimited option is only £7 more than I'm paying now.

And either of them are dramatically cheaper than the two bonded A&A ISP FTTC lines I had before...

But it doesn't matter how cheap Three is, if it doesn't work effectively. At the moment my connection is right on the borderline of being workable (I had it impacting a work conference call for the first time the other day).
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-20 20:53:56
Print Post

For me things seem much improved and today latency has dropped to around 20ms:

Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Feb-20 21:19:26
Print Post

I'm also investigating switching to EE though (where NAT will be the only option).

I with EE and get both an ipv4 and ipv6 address (starting 2a01) when I check whatsmyip.com on my phone. checking the ip shown on my phone under device settings it shows the ipv6 ip (and a different ipv4 one of 192.0.0.4 which is not the ipv4 shown on whatsmyip). So I am guessing they are using both CGnat to give me an ipv4 address, and are also giving me a non-nat ipv6 address as well?

I am not sure if this is common for all on EE now or whether it is just because I have a business contract, the APN is "everywhere" which I do not think is business specific.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 18-Feb-20 21:20:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Feb-20 23:08:46
Print Post

Try pinging that/those IPv6 address(es) using an external tool like the BQM here wink.

Also, is that with your phone connecting to the internet through an EE mobile router, or direct using mobile data with the phone SIM?

I get different, and surprising, results from all the above on Three. I have a Three u/l "everything" SIM in the phone and the Three HomeFi u/l data SIM in their router.

Also is the IPv6 an fe80, or something else?

Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 11:57:05
Print Post

27Mbps would be great. Still only 3Mbps here on 4G 1800.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15821108438...

But network status now says "We're really sorry. There's an issue with the network in your area at the moment."

I've just noticed that the Three page called Check coverage & network status does NOT give network status, only coverage information. The page called Network & coverage support does show the status (although that checker is currently down). So they may have been reporting network issues for several days without me noticing, I can't remember which checker I've used previously.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 12:28:57
Print Post

The network status remains same irrespective of which postcode you use, that to me looks like the problem is throughout the network. Or the network status tool is [censored] up.
I happened to speak to Three Network team yesterday and they say all the issues have started when they have introduced Carrier Aggregation 6 months back, since then the speed has been fluctuating. Right now they are testing for the 5G launch. They have asked me the standard 7 days for an update. I am not after 4G, as my area wont get it in first phase, i am happy with 45M 4G, lets hope the network stabilises soon, else i will have to move to different service provider in short term.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-20 13:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
Try a free VPN, it should solve your issues in the short term.

Yep works fine, they are basically traffic managing these 3 mobile phone unlimited sims on Netflix as far as I can tell, it works fine through a VPN, and it is also fine on my 100Gb 3 Mobile broadband sim. I can remember talk ages ago that they where doing this restriction but for me up until about two weeks ago they had not.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 14:52:34
Print Post

Earlier today, before the checker went offline, it was giving different results for different postcodes. For my postcode and others nearby it said there are network issues. For postcodes covered by the adjacent sector from the same mast it said essential maintenance had recently been completed.

My slow speeds are not due to carrier aggregation at the local mast because it doesn't have it yet. Not that it would help without additional 4G frequencies because 800 is even more congested than 1800.

I still believe my slow speeds are mainly due to congested radio spectrum at a busy site which desperately needs upgrading (and ultimately they need to add more sites to the network). O2 on the same mast are using 800+1800+2100 with carrier aggregation, which is more than Three, and their network status for months has been "Our network’s very busy in this area. So at certain times of day you might experience slower data. Sorry about that. But we’re working to make it better for you." Even EE with their 65MHz of aggregated capacity gets congested at peak times, yet can go >100Mbps late at night when half of it has been turned off to save energy.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:19:12
Print Post

Looks like you are in bigger city like London/B'gham/manchester the network there is definitely congested. If you have EE with 65Mhz congested there, then no chance 3 would cope up!
Despite 3 having good 5G spectrum, it will be interesting to see how they can make the high frequency waves reach to majority with so much fewer masts.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 16:09:19
Print Post

I'm in Colchester which is not a big city (or even a city at all) but there's no Gfast and most of the area covered by my local mast has no Virgin Media either. Just FTTC from mainly ECI cabinets. 4G mobile used to be much faster than my FTTC, which has slowed considerably over the years due to crosstalk, but with all networks now offering unlimited data it's probably inevitable they will get congested until they become slower than what people can get from fixed line broadband.

I am not optimistic that 5G will solve that issue until the networks splash out on more cell sites and FTTP becomes more widely available to reduce demand on mobile for home broadband.

At least there's VXFIBER to look forward to locally, if it ever gets built. The council has an LFFN grant which must be spent by March 2021, but I expect openreach will soon announce a Fibre First rollout to scupper VXFIBER's plan to extend that into an FTTP network, then do nothing for ages.
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:10
Print Post

I decided to give up on Three for now I move to EE, if I could get the performance I wanted.

Got a PAYG SIM and did some testing. Luckily EE is on the same mast as Three and in my testing I can get 80/30 on my B525 with a couple of external yagi antennas (as compared to 30/30 on a pair of small external ones). So if I drop the EE SIM into my Mikrotik SXT I should be good to go.

The only problem is, I can't buy a SIM only plan. I've been trying on and off for over a week now. Your online store never seems to be working. Either never gets to the shopping basket or says 'Sorry our online shop is not available right now". Tried clearing cookies and different browsers.

So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-20 14:23:11
Print Post

So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !

That's odd, have you disabled any adblock or privacy block or security software?

Try calling them, or if you have an EE store locally, you can buy in-store.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 18:24:52
Print Post

Give EE a call. I did and they offered me a business 4G unlimited broadband SIM only deal for less than the headline personal unlimited phone SIM price - I wanted a SIM to use as a business broadband replacement, but their phone SIMs are intended for one person and the broadband SIMs are expensive and capped, but they offered me what I wanted for less than I was willing to pay. It may depend on just who answers the phone, but you might be lucky.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 19:15:07
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

The "business" price could well be ex-vat.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 19:25:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
… I wanted a SIM to use as a business broadband replacement, but their phone SIMs are intended for one person and the broadband SIMs are expensive and capped ....
Ofcom view on tethering:-
In addition to Article 3(3) regarding traffic management, Ofcom was concerned about restrictions on ‘tethering’, which allows an end-user to share the internet connection of a phone or tablet with other devices such as laptops. Article 3(1) ensures end-users have the right to “use terminal equipment of their choice”. The BEREC Guidelines make specific reference to ‘tethering’, stating that the practice of restricting tethering is likely to constitute a restriction on choice of terminal equipment, because ISPs “should not impose restrictions on the use of terminal equipment connecting to the network in addition to those imposed by manufacturers or distributors of terminal equipment in accordance with Union law”.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Feb-20 19:29:14)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:55:22
Print Post

Just to add to previous comment.

Tried netflix again after a couple of months break from it and i'm getting low quality resolution from it. Thought it was a device issue so tried others and same deal. Ran a few speed tests ranging from 40-80mbps. However, when doing a speed test on fast.com the speeds struggle to pass 3mbps. I shall try a vpn to see if that sorts the issue as i think its some sort of traffic shaping.

Yep. A vpn did fix the issue. Hmm

Edited by woodmass14 (Sun 23-Feb-20 00:28:46)

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 09:53:11
Print Post

I think three have finally twigged, certainly for me the three netflix holiday is over, cant get above low quality without using a vpn.
I do have a 100GB mobile broadband sim that doesnt suffer the same fate, but that isnt in my Mikrotik which is outside getting the best signal and tbh with the imminent arrival of FTTP & Cityfibre I just cant be bothered to swap it.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 11:19:13
Print Post

Netflix bad for me, struggles to get over 1mbps ,they are throttling it
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 12:44:58
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

I'm unsure to be honest. Still getting low speeds when doing a speed test on fast.com. Low speeds when doing in app too. I figure the speed would at least fluctuate at different times if it was traffic shaping. That isn't happening with me. Don't particularly want to pay for a VPN if i don't need to either. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week and see if it improves. May be these network upgrades they are going on about. Luckily, i don't watch netflix often, otherwise, i think i'd have more of an issue with it.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 14:03:55
Print Post

No problems with Amazon Prime 4K for me on Three. The is a dedicated Netflix speed tester and I get 73Mb with a Three/Voda dual wan router, Router tells me the 73Mb is 51Mb Three and 22Mb Voda. Three is band 3 only, turned off the CA with band 20 as its makes no real difference.

https://fast.com/en/gb/
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 15:51:21
Print Post

Very interesting....

I just setup a B535 yesterday and today we were having intermittent browsing issues across multiple devices -- long pauses before loading youtube etc. Speeds around the 30 Mbps mark so not in itself an issue, but pages just hanging on loading for a minute or more.

Switching APN appeared to fix - but wasn't aware of the reset factor. I just switched it back and still loading ok.

So I may well have the exact same issue you described....
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 15:59:08
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Think I'll leave it on three.co.uk APN as not seen slowdown on there via phones at all. So maybe the throttling is more specific to 3internet
Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:17:33
Print Post

I have a ping monitor on both WANs to 1.1.1.1 both show 40m/s, with a bad period of an hour on both yesterday during the gale when it was peaking at 490m/s.

Using 3internet APN.

Edited by kommando (Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:28)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:18:54
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
No problems with Amazon Prime 4K for me on Three. The is a dedicated Netflix speed tester and I get 73Mb with a Three/Voda dual wan router, Router tells me the 73Mb is 51Mb Three and 22Mb Voda. Three is band 3 only, turned off the CA with band 20 as its makes no real difference.

Surprised a single router can aggregate two different ISPs without a bonding option, or a bonding VPN over the top. Which one is it?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:
I just setup a B535 yesterday and today we were having intermittent browsing issues across multiple devices -- long pauses before loading youtube etc. Speeds around the 30 Mbps mark so not in itself an issue, but pages just hanging on loading for a minute or more.

You could try using a different DNS, or not using the router as a DNS proxy, either of those might help rule out what is going on.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:23:41
Print Post

Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by kommando:
Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.
That's a good bit of kit, but it can't add the two connections together. You can have two downloads running, one at 50 Mbps, and one at 22 Mbps, but you can't have a single download at 70 Mbps.

If fast.com and/or speedtest.net and/or this site's speed test is showing higher than the max of one of your lines, then it is something else going on. Fast.com can often be affected by internet security software, and browser caching.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:58)

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:12:46
Print Post

To get what you say then I set it to sessions not load balancing, it then will only allow one of the Wan's to feed one internal IP address if it only has one session going, but most have multiple sessions, this laptop has 30 sessions currently. Load balancing allows both wan's to feed one internal IP as long as it multi threaded which is that Fast website is. The only time I am forced to only use one wan on load balanced is a single file only in one section but that is very rare as download managers break it down to multiple sections and peer to peer is always multiple.

So it does add both 99.9% of the time.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:49:49
Print Post

I see what you mean, but it isn't really aggregating in the way we used to use Multi-Link PPP (ML-PPP) connections.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:51:33
Print Post

So what, it works.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 18:30:00
Print Post

Ive had loads of different routers and many different Drayteks and without fail a Session based load balanced Draytek is by far the best thing at combining two connections that you will get, yes its not bonding but ANY multi session activity, which is most things on the net these days and it will work, some of them like the 3220 I use will 'learn' periodically how the connections are doing and adjust the load automatically.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Sun 23-Feb-20 19:18:06
Print Post

So I've just tried some speed tests straight after each other to see the difference between 3internet and three.co.uk APN's.

3internet - 24.9 Mbps latency- 75ms http://tbb.st/1582484867877064355
three.co.uk - 42.2 Mbps latency- 63ms http://tbb.st/1582485133899748955

Latency isn't too great on either mind.

Think I'll leave it set to three.co.uk and monitor the situation.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 07:59:05
Print Post

I couldn't see any significant difference in latency or throughput with 3internet vs three.co.uk.

For now the router is back on 3internet (as default) to see how stability goes there.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 24-Feb-20 11:56:49
Print Post

Yes, business prices are ex-VAT, and the price I was quoted was cheaper even after allowing for that (I'm not VAT registered, so I always look at the VAT inclusive prices).
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 24-Feb-20 12:04:32
Print Post

Their terms allow tethering and don't restrict the terminal equipment used, but do state that the unlimited SIMs are intended for use by a single person only. The broadband plans that are intended to be shared are more expensive - however, it seems that their call centre staff have the ability to be flexible.
I have no idea whether they would ever actually enforce the single user limit (I think it would be unlikely), but I'd prefer not to risk it, and it seems I don't have to.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Mon 24-Feb-20 12:31:26
Print Post

Through a VPN connected to FAST.COM , France i get 20-30mb , No VPN 3.9mb

Been fine on Netflix last few weeks
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Mon 24-Feb-20 13:56:36
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

Mines back to its usual poor bandwidth availability today, regardless of APN used. In all the time I've ever had broadband I have never had a router which I've had to reboot the number of times I have in the past month.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to