General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 10:56:48
Print Post

Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it just me

[link to this post]

I switched from FTTC to using Three for my home broadband about a year ago, using a Mikrotik SXT LTE.

It is worked really well for much for the last year and I’ve never had to fallback to the Plusnet FTTC line I’ve still got as a backup.

However, the last couple of weeks has been pretty awful. I don’t believe that my connection to the Three mast has got any worse, signal strength has been incredibly consistent over the year:

https://toop.microsign.co.uk/fud/lte/localdomain/loc...

And over the year speed has been reasonably reliable (with the odd bad day when it dipped a bit):

But the last couple of weeks have not been good, this is typically what I’ve been seeing from speedtest.net:

To me it seems to be parts of Three’s network not coping, as when it is bad the speed from different places can be totally inconsistent. I’ll do a TBB or speedof.me speed test and get a solid 80/30 then immediately after do a speedtest.net on that gets sub 30/10 (and the repeat both to see the speedtest.net is still very slow).

Or news.bbc.co.uk will be loading fine and facebook isn’t, or YouTube will load without buffering, report 45MB+ bandwidth in the nerd tools, and yet at the same time Prime Video will buffer.

Oddly though it isn’t connected to peak times, it is bad this morning at 10:30 for example, well out of any peak times.

But I've not seen lots of other people complaining about recent deterioration of performance, which makes me wonder if it is a problem specific to me on the mast I'm using.

It could of course be my Mikrotik, I broke my ankle a couple of months ago, so haven’t been able to swap out my spare one to test that. I've tried to check against Three on my phone when there have been issues, but that has been inconsistent (sometimes the phone is also slow, sometimes is isn't).

Anyone else having problems with Three like this ?

It has never got quite bad enough to drive me back to the 25/4 MB Plusnet FTTC line, but I'm definitely going to be investigating EE when I get a bit more mobile again.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Feb-20 11:42:33
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

It seems to happen to all of us for a few weeks, then clear up. Believed to be to do with major upgrades to their network.

Mine did exactly what you describe for 3-4 weeks in the second half of last year, on both my phone when at home and the HomeFi, and I got quite worried. Often only getting H+ on the phone. The HomeFi stayed on LTE but lousy and very variable throughout.

Then one day it cleared up on both and has been rock solid ever since.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:33:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
, , , but I'm definitely going to be investigating EE when I get a bit more mobile again.

Nice pun!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:41:45
Print Post

Mine's been poop for last couple of weeks too. Most of the time the speeds have been reduced to 10mb or so, however I've also seen times when speed test is fine yet Youtube and websites fail to load or load partially or glitches for now apparent reason

Network upgrades have been completed on my local mast 2 weeks ago but the service is clearly oversubscribed again in my area. Must be all these cheap deals finally coming home to roost as 2 masts cover a large population area.

When working from home the other day I noticed around 3pm - 4pm that the speed was not even 1mb, so tried testing speed at similar time and seems to be a common issue so must be the school children
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:46:23
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Mine does definitely not correlate with load on the mast.

Some nights it has been rock solid during peak streaming times. Some nights it has been awful even in the early hours of the morning. Overall the slowness has been incredibly inconsistent both in the times it occurs and the actual parts of the Internet that it impacts.
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:04:34
Print Post

It has been particularly bad this afternoon. I'm switching to "three.co.uk" from "3internet" to see if that has any affect (it being pretty much the only network level thing I can tweak).
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:32:50
Print Post

Yes, its been absolutely shocking all last week for me, from last Thursday to today its been really unreliable too. The issue appears to be a lack of bandwidth at their end causing them to be traffic shaping, but at times it gets so bad available bandwidth is down to 56k modem speeds. I've seen times when I can't even get up google or thinkbroadband because the routers connected yet there's nothing there! It appears three is definitely throttling you-tube.

Rebooting the router can help, as your are assigned a new IP address on the network each time, but unfortunately it don't last long before it returns to "Pants" levels of bandwidth again.

Strangely when I turn on a free VPN trial it returns to full speed however on all those websites, so they're obviously having problems if they're limiting bandwidth to such an extent.

Another weird thing I've noticed is my mobile on 4g (on three, on the same mast) seems to work fast than my three router. So they're selectively throttling routers on their network, not mobiles.

Three do not seem keen to report network issues publicly when they have them, so they are not helping themselves much.

Edited by buggerlugs (Tue 11-Feb-20 19:40:43)

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 19:56:05
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I agree with what everyone has said, it has been dire especially at peak times and it does appear to be traffic shaping as far as I can tell, as at times my 4Mb adsl line was better in the evenings.
I have already put in a cancel notice for mine and Ill be left with my 100Gb mobile broadband one until FTTP/Gigafast comes along which is likely under two months away.

I will say though it has for 95% of the time saved me from being in internet hell for the past 14 months for which im grateful, but roll on 900Mb+500Mb Fibre services, cant wait.
Standard User bsod
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 21:57:36
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Yep, same here too,. we have some rather heavy downloaders in this area and then performance has varied from just about acceptable, to, well, shyte.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15804211481...

That's on 4G+ (supposedly).

Also has anyone noticed how 3 block ICMP on the new 'cloud' network?

Edited by bsod (Tue 11-Feb-20 21:58:46)

Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-20 22:16:44
Print Post

[re: bsod] [link to this post]

Things haven't been to bad since I switched to three mobile broadband last November until this last week.

Latency is apppalling:

Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=2131ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=870ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=3059ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1842ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=2922ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=883ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=355ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=536ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1863ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=1647ms TTL=52

my 'normal' ping has been 30-40ms.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Wed 12-Feb-20 07:08:21
Print Post

[re: Timh30] [link to this post]

I think its high time Three just told their customers exactly what they are doing. I just hope its a nationwide upgrade roll out and not over subscription of the service.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:22:45
Print Post

My mast is shared with EE, it was down for 4 days last week for both networks but once back up there are no issues.
(member) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:56:42
Print Post

Things have improved since I switched to "three.co.uk", not that it proves anything, it could easily just be a coincidence.
(member) Wed 12-Feb-20 10:26:08
Print Post

Nope, back to awful again.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 13:43:54
Print Post

Same here. It's been bad since the bad weather with gales and floods at the weekend. Originally I put it down to the storms, but it isn't getting better.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-20 15:26:43
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Ditto here as well, i had 35-45M download earlier, which has come down to 15-20M. Plus frequent disconnections and it takes forever to load any page.3 has recently refarmed the Band 1 to 4G in my area, so my SXT goes to that band and the speed reduces further. When I fix it to Band 3, the speed increases to 15-20M.
I believe there is a setting in SXT to rewrite the TTL for all packets that can be a way round to traffic shaping - where speed on mobile is good but on tethered devices its low.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-20 19:55:26
Print Post

In summary I would say, no, it isn't you.

Timeouts and wildly fluctuating performance is very much going on at the moment and has for 2-3 weeks, but it has become a lot worse in the last week or so.

Seeing this fairly consistently in multiple areas where I've got 3 SIMs in use.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 14:58:04
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

I thought low speeds were just normal with 4G on Three.

4G: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15815562526...

3G: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15815561602...

That’s 4G still slower than 3G at 1am, as is for most of the day. No band 1 refarm or band 32 here, but they’re both desperately needed. Just the basic setup of band 3 & band 20 without carrier aggregation. I normally leave my Three sim set to 3G only for the most reliable throughout.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 15:43:27
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

There is a lot of load in your area. The effects of Unlimited !

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 18:24:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes a lot of load, so only financial reasons have stopped Three from upgrading the site already. No doubt compounded by selling unlimited everything for peanuts.

Although this afternoon with all networks under heavier load than at 1am, even EE can’t quite reach 10Mbps from the same mast and they are using 2x band 3 + 2x band 7 with carrier aggregation across all 4 carriers, 65MHz in total. At least that goes well above 100Mbps in the small hours. Three’s 15MHz of band 3 appears to be congested pretty much 24/7 now.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 18:43:30
Print Post

Unsurprising if 15MHz is overloaded if 65MHz is also suffering.

The only solution will be more masts, and move load away, but that takes years, especially with the planning permission headaches.

Are you in a big city? I'm guessing you must be to have 65MHz deployed from EE.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 23:10:34
Print Post

Colchester. Not exactly a big city.

The large amount of spectrum in use by EE is probably compensating for not having a dense enough network, which doesn’t bode well for future 5G performance. But at least they have done something to keep their network usable at peak times, for now. Often Three and Vodafone can’t even stream HD music let alone video.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 23:12:21
Print Post

I would suggest searching council planning sites to see if applications have been denied.

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-20 16:24:46
Print Post

It cannot possibly be a sudden increase in load EVERYWHERE. I am seeing exactly the same problems, starting a week ago, and I am pretty sure there is no sudden increase in load here.
Three has suddenly gone from being "good enough with a margin" to "not good enough by a significant margin". EE is now only £12 per month more expensive. I think it might be time to move.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:06:18
Print Post

No, and there are people (on other forums) reporting no issue.
Three are guilty of their marketing, saying they are the "network for unlimited" and "we have the best 5G" and probably have increased sales.

If you have 1000 people per mast, and now have 3000 people per mast, for the same deployed capacity, then things will slow down.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:26:36
Print Post

They didn't suddenly get hundreds of thousands more people all over the country in the last week or 2.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 18:15:19
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

Agreed. It could be the network rebuild project, or failures, perhaps caused by the storm(s).

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 21:33:36
Print Post

Yeah I'm guessing something related to the upgrade. I am still toying with what network to go with myself (for both home and phone), I was just going to go with three for the big chunk of 5g spectrum but the issues with 4g speeds make me think they are nowhere near a position to offer the best 5g speeds regardless of spectrum and the network upgrade (and that's if there is a 5g signal when they get around to releasing it end of the month). Pretty much gonna rule out three and its between EE and Voda for me. I can get 130mb on my S8+ on EE and a ping of 14-16ms which seems really good, not sure about voda and I doubt it would be better, I am not sure voda even have enough 4g spectrum to beat that speed? And damn sure they can't beat that ping.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:16:20
Print Post

Massive Netflix traffic management today, can hardly pull 300KBps, kick off a download at same time at that hitting 70Mbps no problem.
Time to give my 30 days notice on this I think.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:36:52
Print Post

Try a free VPN, it should solve your issues in the short term.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 17:38:08
Print Post

Funny you say that, was just in the middle of giving that a go.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 19:27:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If you have 1000 people per mast, and now have 3000 people per mast, for the same deployed capacity, then things will slow down.
How would that have happened over a period of two days last weekend? Has Three started sending out sim cards in the weekly junkmail?
The dramatic slowdown coincided with the disappearance of the note about dealing with "a complex network issue" in the area on the status page. Yes, it was also a weekend of very wild, wet and windy weather, but I think they have screwed up with the network redesign.
At first, some tracert tests showed multi-second delays a few hops into their network. Now they're only terrible.
I was foolish enough to contact Three support with help. All they managed to do was tell me to reset my router to factory defaults. as if that will affect their network capacity!

Here's a typical example: hops 4, 5 and 7 used to be visible until yesterday

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.200
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 116 ms 110 ms 96 ms 172.20.197.65
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 82 ms 98 ms 158 ms 172.21.25.85
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 57 ms 48 ms 55 ms 172.20.231.154
9 56 ms 48 ms 47 ms ip4.gtt.net [213.254.199.214]
10 48 ms 46 ms 48 ms et-0-0-41.cr11-lon2.ip4.gtt.net [213.254.199.213]
11 63 ms 56 ms 46 ms ip4.gtt.net [77.67.98.54]
12 49 ms 45 ms 48 ms ae-0.r24.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.140]
13 49 ms 47 ms 46 ms ae-8.r02.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.22]
14 55 ms 47 ms 42 ms 62.73.169.10
15 52 ms 49 ms 44 ms po4-31.core-rs4.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
16 57 ms 56 ms 46 ms ip106-141.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.106.141]

[Later]
Tried it through ProtonVPN:

1 55 ms 49 ms 62 ms 10.8.0.1
2 48 ms 59 ms 48 ms v112.ce01.lon-12.uk.leaseweb.net [95.168.185.252]
3 72 ms 64 ms 58 ms ae-4.br01.lon-11.uk.leaseweb.net [81.17.63.194]
4 64 ms 57 ms 65 ms et-12.bb01.lon-10.leaseweb.net [31.31.39.54]
5 83 ms 68 ms 59 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
6 62 ms 48 ms 59 ms te2-3-14.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.112]
7 87 ms 65 ms 60 ms po4-31.core-rs4.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
8 51 ms 41 ms 61 ms ip106-141.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.106.141]

Edited by hoopla (Sat 15-Feb-20 21:54:24)

Standard User kams19
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:16:05
Print Post

My 4g has gone from bad to worse since this morning. Frequent disconnections, very less download speed, unable to connect to office vpn. I changed the apn to three.co.uk then got a usable link. Does it seems to common to any of you.
(member) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:36:59
Print Post

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

In my experience you can often get a temporary improvement just by resetting the 4G connection. Which happens when you change the APN.

So in my experience changing the APN to three.co.uk doesn't actually help, when I did it I thought it had helped, but after a couple of hours it was back to being intermittently poorly performing again. So I've gone back to 3internet again now, as having a real IP address and no NAT is useful some of the time.

I'm also investigating switching to EE though (where NAT will be the only option).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Feb-20 23:37:59
Print Post

Won't EE cost rather a lot more for data?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 18-Feb-20 03:25:27
Print Post

My speeds are completely fine. Still getting around 60 down, 30 up on average. However, i have been noticing a lot more packet loss making online gaming and internet calls drop or become unplayable. Running a ping program clearly shows packet loss every 30 seconds or so with massive jumps exceeding 2k ms. Been happening for a couple of weeks now throughout day and night.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Tue 18-Feb-20 10:45:11
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Same here for the past 2 weeks, god awful connection with inability to download/stream at the same time, Also times when it was so slow my router was connected but got zero bandwidth.

This morning first thing appeared much improved (download speed wise at least), I was back up to 50-60, and even saw it hitting an occasional 70mb/s, still the latency needs work, but it appears whatever they're working on they are heading in the right direction.

edit:
Just done a speed test now and we're down to 27mb/s though........

Still work in progress for Three then.....
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 19:02:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It will, though I'm not on one of the mega cheap Three deals anyway, think I'm paying £27/month. So EE's unlimited option is only £7 more than I'm paying now.

And either of them are dramatically cheaper than the two bonded A&A ISP FTTC lines I had before...

But it doesn't matter how cheap Three is, if it doesn't work effectively. At the moment my connection is right on the borderline of being workable (I had it impacting a work conference call for the first time the other day).
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-20 20:53:56
Print Post

For me things seem much improved and today latency has dropped to around 20ms:

Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
Reply from 151.101.192.81: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Feb-20 21:19:26
Print Post

I'm also investigating switching to EE though (where NAT will be the only option).

I with EE and get both an ipv4 and ipv6 address (starting 2a01) when I check whatsmyip.com on my phone. checking the ip shown on my phone under device settings it shows the ipv6 ip (and a different ipv4 one of 192.0.0.4 which is not the ipv4 shown on whatsmyip). So I am guessing they are using both CGnat to give me an ipv4 address, and are also giving me a non-nat ipv6 address as well?

I am not sure if this is common for all on EE now or whether it is just because I have a business contract, the APN is "everywhere" which I do not think is business specific.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 18-Feb-20 21:20:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Feb-20 23:08:46
Print Post

Try pinging that/those IPv6 address(es) using an external tool like the BQM here wink.

Also, is that with your phone connecting to the internet through an EE mobile router, or direct using mobile data with the phone SIM?

I get different, and surprising, results from all the above on Three. I have a Three u/l "everything" SIM in the phone and the Three HomeFi u/l data SIM in their router.

Also is the IPv6 an fe80, or something else?

Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 11:57:05
Print Post

27Mbps would be great. Still only 3Mbps here on 4G 1800.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15821108438...

But network status now says "We're really sorry. There's an issue with the network in your area at the moment."

I've just noticed that the Three page called Check coverage & network status does NOT give network status, only coverage information. The page called Network & coverage support does show the status (although that checker is currently down). So they may have been reporting network issues for several days without me noticing, I can't remember which checker I've used previously.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 12:28:57
Print Post

The network status remains same irrespective of which postcode you use, that to me looks like the problem is throughout the network. Or the network status tool is [censored] up.
I happened to speak to Three Network team yesterday and they say all the issues have started when they have introduced Carrier Aggregation 6 months back, since then the speed has been fluctuating. Right now they are testing for the 5G launch. They have asked me the standard 7 days for an update. I am not after 4G, as my area wont get it in first phase, i am happy with 45M 4G, lets hope the network stabilises soon, else i will have to move to different service provider in short term.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-20 13:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
Try a free VPN, it should solve your issues in the short term.

Yep works fine, they are basically traffic managing these 3 mobile phone unlimited sims on Netflix as far as I can tell, it works fine through a VPN, and it is also fine on my 100Gb 3 Mobile broadband sim. I can remember talk ages ago that they where doing this restriction but for me up until about two weeks ago they had not.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 14:52:34
Print Post

Earlier today, before the checker went offline, it was giving different results for different postcodes. For my postcode and others nearby it said there are network issues. For postcodes covered by the adjacent sector from the same mast it said essential maintenance had recently been completed.

My slow speeds are not due to carrier aggregation at the local mast because it doesn't have it yet. Not that it would help without additional 4G frequencies because 800 is even more congested than 1800.

I still believe my slow speeds are mainly due to congested radio spectrum at a busy site which desperately needs upgrading (and ultimately they need to add more sites to the network). O2 on the same mast are using 800+1800+2100 with carrier aggregation, which is more than Three, and their network status for months has been "Our network’s very busy in this area. So at certain times of day you might experience slower data. Sorry about that. But we’re working to make it better for you." Even EE with their 65MHz of aggregated capacity gets congested at peak times, yet can go >100Mbps late at night when half of it has been turned off to save energy.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:19:12
Print Post

Looks like you are in bigger city like London/B'gham/manchester the network there is definitely congested. If you have EE with 65Mhz congested there, then no chance 3 would cope up!
Despite 3 having good 5G spectrum, it will be interesting to see how they can make the high frequency waves reach to majority with so much fewer masts.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 16:09:19
Print Post

I'm in Colchester which is not a big city (or even a city at all) but there's no Gfast and most of the area covered by my local mast has no Virgin Media either. Just FTTC from mainly ECI cabinets. 4G mobile used to be much faster than my FTTC, which has slowed considerably over the years due to crosstalk, but with all networks now offering unlimited data it's probably inevitable they will get congested until they become slower than what people can get from fixed line broadband.

I am not optimistic that 5G will solve that issue until the networks splash out on more cell sites and FTTP becomes more widely available to reduce demand on mobile for home broadband.

At least there's VXFIBER to look forward to locally, if it ever gets built. The council has an LFFN grant which must be spent by March 2021, but I expect openreach will soon announce a Fibre First rollout to scupper VXFIBER's plan to extend that into an FTTP network, then do nothing for ages.
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:10
Print Post

I decided to give up on Three for now I move to EE, if I could get the performance I wanted.

Got a PAYG SIM and did some testing. Luckily EE is on the same mast as Three and in my testing I can get 80/30 on my B525 with a couple of external yagi antennas (as compared to 30/30 on a pair of small external ones). So if I drop the EE SIM into my Mikrotik SXT I should be good to go.

The only problem is, I can't buy a SIM only plan. I've been trying on and off for over a week now. Your online store never seems to be working. Either never gets to the shopping basket or says 'Sorry our online shop is not available right now". Tried clearing cookies and different browsers.

So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-20 14:23:11
Print Post

So I'll be ditching Three, just as soon as EE let me buy their product !

That's odd, have you disabled any adblock or privacy block or security software?

Try calling them, or if you have an EE store locally, you can buy in-store.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sat 22-Feb-20 18:24:52
Print Post

Give EE a call. I did and they offered me a business 4G unlimited broadband SIM only deal for less than the headline personal unlimited phone SIM price - I wanted a SIM to use as a business broadband replacement, but their phone SIMs are intended for one person and the broadband SIMs are expensive and capped, but they offered me what I wanted for less than I was willing to pay. It may depend on just who answers the phone, but you might be lucky.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 19:15:07
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

The "business" price could well be ex-vat.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 19:25:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
… I wanted a SIM to use as a business broadband replacement, but their phone SIMs are intended for one person and the broadband SIMs are expensive and capped ....
Ofcom view on tethering:-
In addition to Article 3(3) regarding traffic management, Ofcom was concerned about restrictions on ‘tethering’, which allows an end-user to share the internet connection of a phone or tablet with other devices such as laptops. Article 3(1) ensures end-users have the right to “use terminal equipment of their choice”. The BEREC Guidelines make specific reference to ‘tethering’, stating that the practice of restricting tethering is likely to constitute a restriction on choice of terminal equipment, because ISPs “should not impose restrictions on the use of terminal equipment connecting to the network in addition to those imposed by manufacturers or distributors of terminal equipment in accordance with Union law”.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Feb-20 19:29:14)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:55:22
Print Post

Just to add to previous comment.

Tried netflix again after a couple of months break from it and i'm getting low quality resolution from it. Thought it was a device issue so tried others and same deal. Ran a few speed tests ranging from 40-80mbps. However, when doing a speed test on fast.com the speeds struggle to pass 3mbps. I shall try a vpn to see if that sorts the issue as i think its some sort of traffic shaping.

Yep. A vpn did fix the issue. Hmm

Edited by woodmass14 (Sun 23-Feb-20 00:28:46)

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 09:53:11
Print Post

I think three have finally twigged, certainly for me the three netflix holiday is over, cant get above low quality without using a vpn.
I do have a 100GB mobile broadband sim that doesnt suffer the same fate, but that isnt in my Mikrotik which is outside getting the best signal and tbh with the imminent arrival of FTTP & Cityfibre I just cant be bothered to swap it.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 11:19:13
Print Post

Netflix bad for me, struggles to get over 1mbps ,they are throttling it
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 12:44:58
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

I'm unsure to be honest. Still getting low speeds when doing a speed test on fast.com. Low speeds when doing in app too. I figure the speed would at least fluctuate at different times if it was traffic shaping. That isn't happening with me. Don't particularly want to pay for a VPN if i don't need to either. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week and see if it improves. May be these network upgrades they are going on about. Luckily, i don't watch netflix often, otherwise, i think i'd have more of an issue with it.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 14:03:55
Print Post

No problems with Amazon Prime 4K for me on Three. The is a dedicated Netflix speed tester and I get 73Mb with a Three/Voda dual wan router, Router tells me the 73Mb is 51Mb Three and 22Mb Voda. Three is band 3 only, turned off the CA with band 20 as its makes no real difference.

https://fast.com/en/gb/
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 15:51:21
Print Post

Very interesting....

I just setup a B535 yesterday and today we were having intermittent browsing issues across multiple devices -- long pauses before loading youtube etc. Speeds around the 30 Mbps mark so not in itself an issue, but pages just hanging on loading for a minute or more.

Switching APN appeared to fix - but wasn't aware of the reset factor. I just switched it back and still loading ok.

So I may well have the exact same issue you described....
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 15:59:08
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Think I'll leave it on three.co.uk APN as not seen slowdown on there via phones at all. So maybe the throttling is more specific to 3internet
Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:17:33
Print Post

I have a ping monitor on both WANs to 1.1.1.1 both show 40m/s, with a bad period of an hour on both yesterday during the gale when it was peaking at 490m/s.

Using 3internet APN.

Edited by kommando (Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:28)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:18:54
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
No problems with Amazon Prime 4K for me on Three. The is a dedicated Netflix speed tester and I get 73Mb with a Three/Voda dual wan router, Router tells me the 73Mb is 51Mb Three and 22Mb Voda. Three is band 3 only, turned off the CA with band 20 as its makes no real difference.

Surprised a single router can aggregate two different ISPs without a bonding option, or a bonding VPN over the top. Which one is it?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:
I just setup a B535 yesterday and today we were having intermittent browsing issues across multiple devices -- long pauses before loading youtube etc. Speeds around the 30 Mbps mark so not in itself an issue, but pages just hanging on loading for a minute or more.

You could try using a different DNS, or not using the router as a DNS proxy, either of those might help rule out what is going on.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:23:41
Print Post

Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:14
Print Post

Draytek 2925, set to share the Wans using load balance, works well with the only issue being some banking sites throw a hissy fit when they see 2 IP addresses accessing one account.
That's a good bit of kit, but it can't add the two connections together. You can have two downloads running, one at 50 Mbps, and one at 22 Mbps, but you can't have a single download at 70 Mbps.

If fast.com and/or speedtest.net and/or this site's speed test is showing higher than the max of one of your lines, then it is something else going on. Fast.com can often be affected by internet security software, and browser caching.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 23-Feb-20 16:56:58)

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:12:46
Print Post

To get what you say then I set it to sessions not load balancing, it then will only allow one of the Wan's to feed one internal IP address if it only has one session going, but most have multiple sessions, this laptop has 30 sessions currently. Load balancing allows both wan's to feed one internal IP as long as it multi threaded which is that Fast website is. The only time I am forced to only use one wan on load balanced is a single file only in one section but that is very rare as download managers break it down to multiple sections and peer to peer is always multiple.

So it does add both 99.9% of the time.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:49:49
Print Post

I see what you mean, but it isn't really aggregating in the way we used to use Multi-Link PPP (ML-PPP) connections.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 23-Feb-20 17:51:33
Print Post

So what, it works.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-20 18:30:00
Print Post

Ive had loads of different routers and many different Drayteks and without fail a Session based load balanced Draytek is by far the best thing at combining two connections that you will get, yes its not bonding but ANY multi session activity, which is most things on the net these days and it will work, some of them like the 3220 I use will 'learn' periodically how the connections are doing and adjust the load automatically.
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Sun 23-Feb-20 19:18:06
Print Post

So I've just tried some speed tests straight after each other to see the difference between 3internet and three.co.uk APN's.

3internet - 24.9 Mbps latency- 75ms http://tbb.st/1582484867877064355
three.co.uk - 42.2 Mbps latency- 63ms http://tbb.st/1582485133899748955

Latency isn't too great on either mind.

Think I'll leave it set to three.co.uk and monitor the situation.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-20 07:59:05
Print Post

I couldn't see any significant difference in latency or throughput with 3internet vs three.co.uk.

For now the router is back on 3internet (as default) to see how stability goes there.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 24-Feb-20 11:56:49
Print Post

Yes, business prices are ex-VAT, and the price I was quoted was cheaper even after allowing for that (I'm not VAT registered, so I always look at the VAT inclusive prices).
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 24-Feb-20 12:04:32
Print Post

Their terms allow tethering and don't restrict the terminal equipment used, but do state that the unlimited SIMs are intended for use by a single person only. The broadband plans that are intended to be shared are more expensive - however, it seems that their call centre staff have the ability to be flexible.
I have no idea whether they would ever actually enforce the single user limit (I think it would be unlikely), but I'd prefer not to risk it, and it seems I don't have to.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Mon 24-Feb-20 12:31:26
Print Post

Through a VPN connected to FAST.COM , France i get 20-30mb , No VPN 3.9mb

Been fine on Netflix last few weeks
Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Mon 24-Feb-20 13:56:36
Print Post

Mines back to its usual poor bandwidth availability today, regardless of APN used. In all the time I've ever had broadband I have never had a router which I've had to reboot the number of times I have in the past month.
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 25-Feb-20 20:15:47
Print Post

Mines back to its usual poor bandwidth availability today, regardless of APN used. In all the time I've ever had broadband I have never had a router which I've had to reboot the number of times I have in the past month.

Yep - its gone down hill again after a brief improvement. Keep having to reset B535 router.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 25-Feb-20 22:25:52
Print Post

I’ve also had really poor speeds now for the whole of this month. Oddly upload which used to be poor is now double to triple what it was previously. I’d rather swap it back the other way frown

I also notice that at peak times my B525 is moving from band 3 with a stronger signal to band 1 with a weaker signal. I presume this must be the cell site deciding to do this as it doesn’t make sense for the router to swap from a stronger signal to weaker but this then causes even lower speeds than that of band 3.

Edited by gary333 (Tue 25-Feb-20 22:37:23)

(member) Wed 26-Feb-20 09:34:13
Print Post

Mine has improved a little for the moment, has been more stable for the last week. I'm holding off on my £34/pm EE purchase at the moment.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 26-Feb-20 12:28:06
Print Post

Did a speedtest this morning and got a record download speed on three, the speed issues must be mast based with too many connections for the backhaul. Mine is a rural mast and sparsely populated but the local exchange is Fibre with only 500 properties connected to exchange of which 300+ must be close to the exchange to get FTTC, there are also 2 wifi operators with 15mb and 25mb offerings so the mast cannot have many connecting to it for internet. The mast is also shared with EE and runs close to a major fibre trunk, so maybe has a good backhaul link.

Ping

Pinging through WAN2.
Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 64 bytes of Data through WAN2:
Receive reply from 1.1.1.1, time=60ms
Receive reply from 1.1.1.1, time=50ms
Receive reply from 1.1.1.1, time=60ms
Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Voda ping is 40m/s

Edited by kommando (Wed 26-Feb-20 12:33:23)

(member) Wed 26-Feb-20 13:32:30
Print Post

Did a speedtest this morning and got a record download speed on three, the speed issues must be mast based with too many connections for the backhaul.

I doubt there is one single issue impacting the whole Three network.

The problems I've been seeing are definitely not simple local capacity issues. If they were they'd match typical high load periods, but they don't.

The periods of poor service have been at random times during the day/night and often they don't impact all traffic.
(member) Wed 26-Feb-20 13:39:30
Print Post

Although thinking about it, maybe the randomness does point to a very local cause.

Maybe there are one or two heavy users on the same antenna segment as me now. There are times when I'm using a fair percentage of the theoretically max LTE bandwidth for short periods, so maybe the change over the last couple of months is that there are other heavy users I'm now competing for airtime with.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 26-Feb-20 13:55:59
Print Post

My speed varies but I never go below 40mb even if I speed test at 6pm to 9pm which I am guessing is peak volume. Normally I get 50mb, this morning is was 70mb.

My ping to 1.1.1.1 is taken every 10 secs and graphed by my router, in the last 24 hrs its been 40 to 60m/s. The voda mast ping is more erratic 30 to 60 m/s with a 210m/s spike for a couple of minutes this morning which could have been when I moved the antenna.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Wed 26-Feb-20 15:49:50
Print Post

Just ordered one of these Poynting XPOL-2-5G V3 Directional Cross Polarised LTE MIMO Antenna.

Says its better than the version 2, didnt even know the v3 was out.

If it doesn't make much difference , its going back.

Key Highlights
2-3dB higher over all the bands compared to XPOL-2
New 3400MHz-3800MHz, 5G band with 11dBi gain
Broadband, including the latest 3.5GHz bands
X-Polarised 2x2 MIMO Antenna
Wall or pole mountable
Lightweight & Rugged
Weatherproof & waterproof (IP65)
High pattern consistency across bands for 4G/5G carrier aggregation

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Wed 26-Feb-20 15:50:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Feb-20 22:53:58
Print Post

Mine is a rural mast and sparsely populated but the local exchange is Fibre with only 500 properties connected to exchange of which 300+ must be close to the exchange to get FTTC, ….
Distance from the exchange is completely irrelevant to the availability of FTTC. In fact from what you have said about your area, with a 500ish number of subscribers it is 99.999% certain the fibre feed comes from a much larger exchange quite a way away. smile

For FTTC it is distance from the phone cabinet (PCP), plus the underground cooper distance between the PCP and its associated fibre cabinet. The two are normally within 50 metres of each other with the copper link less than 80 metres.

Standard User buggerlugs
(learned) Thu 27-Feb-20 07:39:22
Print Post

I'm beginning to think that Three hasn't got the infrastructure in place to even offer a solid viable 4g broadband platform to the masses, let alone the 5g that they seem so keen to roll out.

Whilst they may be able to provide a solid mobile phone connection people tend to use it in short bursts which isn't anywhere near as bandwidth heavy as home broadband users, I think this is the issue Three is having with its broadband service right now.

Edited by buggerlugs (Thu 27-Feb-20 07:56:23)

Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 27-Feb-20 07:53:45
Print Post

There is a fibre cabinet in the village next to the exchange, BT installed but paid for by local authority. FTTP is also available but at price !!!

Edited by kommando (Thu 27-Feb-20 09:24:18)

(member) Thu 27-Feb-20 09:29:31
Print Post

Presumably the exchange was mainly exchange-only lines, which is the exception to the rule with FTTC where distance to the exchange is key (as there is no cabinet that the customers connect to and the BT solution is to install a cabinet next to the exchange and then tie the lines into that).
Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 27-Feb-20 11:49:42
Print Post

BT Wholesale output, formatting has been lost.

on Exchange XXXXXXXX is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5 -- 3 to 7.5 Available --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5 Up to 0.5 3 to 7.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available

No FTTC as too far from cabinet at 4km line length, closer to the exchange postcodes get FTTC offered.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 27-Feb-20 15:34:03
Print Post

Ive found something funny about Netflix, when im signed into my account i get speed tests of 2-3mbps . I thought 3 were throttling me.

I logged out, and did Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up. Select Sign out, Start Over, Deactivate, or Reset. , and you can do a speed test from that , i get 30+mbps

Data usage is set to high in my account as well.

So not sure whats going off!

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Thu 27-Feb-20 15:34:36)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 27-Feb-20 15:37:58
Print Post

Service has been diabolical yesterday and today for me. Oddly the signal is even stronger than normal, the throughput however is disgusting: 0.1mb. Some cells are giving no throughput at all, others are giving fractions a meg.

Three CS says issue effecting lots of people all over the country.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 27-Feb-20 16:09:45
Print Post

My aerial came today, getting about 20mbps extra now and better ping, im keeping it.

Get 40-60 during the day, will give it a go in the early hours.

https://i.postimg.cc/PrH4nnrx/IMG-20200227-120446-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yN39SLYt/IMG-20200227-120458-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/QtrBKszK/IMG-20200227-144724-1-...
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 13:52:29
Print Post

I wanted to add my problems here as I switched to Three mobile broadband in December and all was fine, now (over the last week or two) I am having serious issues with the 4G broadband.

NowTV and Amazon are slow and sometimes won't even connect, Amazon music doesn't work fully on my Sonos system now either.

I tried everything to try and fix it and the only thing that does is a force to 3G (I have the B535 router).

When on 3G I have no problems whatsoever, everything connects fine first time the only issue is it's half the speed of the 4G.

After noting the issues above I have just tried the fast.com speed test (Netflix powered) and speedtest.net - fast.com 2.5mbps, speedtest.net 20mbps

I can't work out how they can stop the 4G working properly but 3G works. I have complained and they are 'investigating' the problems so I'll await any answer from Three.

This looked to be a perfect solution to my slow broadband (we can't get FTTC here) and now I'm regretting it, thankfully I opted for the 30 day contract.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:50:53
Print Post

[re: terry_h] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by terry_h:
This looked to be a perfect solution to my slow broadband (we can't get FTTC here) and now I'm regretting it, thankfully I opted for the 30 day contract.

^^ Same here... so I have a decision next week on whether to do a return/refund. OR (and more likely tbh) I may push on a little further and consider using Vodafone (Voxi) unlimited instead - at least until 3 gets their act together

This weekend I'm going to test in a different location & try a few other things if the problem surfaces.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:57:20
Print Post

I wanted to add my problems here as I switched to Three mobile broadband in December and all was fine, now (over the last week or two) I am having serious issues with the 4G broadband.

NowTV and Amazon are slow and sometimes won't even connect, Amazon music doesn't work fully on my Sonos system now either.

I tried everything to try and fix it and the only thing that does is a force to 3G (I have the B535 router).

When on 3G I have no problems whatsoever, everything connects fine first time the only issue is it's half the speed of the 4G.

After noting the issues above I have just tried the fast.com speed test (Netflix powered) and speedtest.net - fast.com 2.5mbps, speedtest.net 20mbps

I can't work out how they can stop the 4G working properly but 3G works. I have complained and they are 'investigating' the problems so I'll await any answer from Three.

Pretty much what im experiencing . 3G fine.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Feb-20 14:58:20
Print Post

It could be the 4G mast equipment is being updated in readiness for their 5G network. A few months ago mine went really lousy for weeks, and I was seriously weighing up EE process and how much allowance I would need, then one day it simply cleared up.

On some speed tests last night I was clocking up 58-60Mbps downstream and over 30 upstream. Better than in my 12-month old sig!

Standard User danny182
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:19:02
Print Post

I have recently signed up to the service with 3 and B555 router. I plugged it in and boom lighting fast speed netflix streaming in 4K no problem. Worked great for 3 weeks until all of a sudden netflix would not buffer past 0.5mbps 480p!! I got a text telling me work was being done in my area (The local Mast) they informed me it would be completed by the 24th. To date, there has not been any improvement. I have an open complaint and 3 are trying to tell me my rights to cancel are in the first 14 days.... funny how it was perfect during this time. Anywho I ran some further tests using speed.net 58mbps download 26 upload.... perfect . I try netflix and still it won't go past 0.5mbps. I run the speedtest from fast.com and it reflects the slow netflix speed at 1mbps download.... Now this is where it gets interesting... I turn on my vpn and all of a sudden boooom full speed again netflix in glorious 4k.. switch it off and back to 0.5mps 480p... It would apear that they are throttling the nextflix service... Not sure what to do now do i let it run irs course or do i take my complaint further with 3 and ofcom. After reading the coments here it would seem I am not the only one.
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:31:01
Print Post

^^ Same here... so I have a decision next week on whether to do a return/refund. OR (and more likely tbh) I may push on a little further and consider using Vodafone (Voxi) unlimited instead - at least until 3 gets their act together

Vodafone themselves have just launched their own unlimited data plans, £37 a month for 30 day contract. I'm with Vodafone for mobile so they'll give me 15% discount on that they say.

I have a complaint in with Three but they say no work is being done in the area.

Looking at options now. EE is a no go as the upload speed is poor waiting on a Vodafone data sim to check their speed with the router.
Standard User terry_h
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 15:35:16
Print Post

[re: danny182] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danny182:
I try netflix and still it won't go past 0.5mbps. I run the speedtest from fast.com and it reflects the slow netflix speed at 1mbps download.... Now this is where it gets interesting... I turn on my vpn and all of a sudden boooom full speed again netflix in glorious 4k.. switch it off and back to 0.5mps 480p... It would apear that they are throttling the nextflix service...

My internet connection with Three is mostly fine and fast but NowTV, Amazon Video and some music streaming plays up so it appears they are throttling all streaming.

Their terms say they only do that when there are equipment issues in a certain area but they tell me there is nothing wrong in my area.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Feb-20 17:04:03
Print Post

Most people using phones won't realise that 4G is congested, and 3G is faster.

Here is a 2016 picture of how much radio spectrum - for 4G - the 4 operators CAN allocate to a mast site. To do that costs an absolute fortune in hardware, so they usually only deploy an affordable amount to the area.
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

For 5G the game changes completely, Three has vastly more (100mhz) than the other operators (50Mhz, 40Mhz). However Three's real 5G (ignoring the other network in London, branded Three Broadband) only switched on yesterday is VERY thin, and so more months building work is required.

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 22:17:58
Print Post

Re: Is Three’s network struggling at the moment or is it jus *DELETED*

Post deleted by planetf1
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sat 29-Feb-20 11:19:03
Print Post

I'm now trying the B535 on three (3Internet APN) in a different location (1Gbps connection turned off!!!!) as I wanted to 'stress' the B535 a little more with many devices inc. wired.

A few problems still noticed
- Whilst we watched netflix (1080p) mostly fine last night, the video did pause about 3 times, and then revert to 'low'quality for 20s or so. On one occasion it wouldn't unpause (appleTV)
- a fast.com speedtest isn't great - 1-2 Mbps
- a regular speedtest is 20 Mbps+ (it's a less good 3 area sadly)
- No browsing stalls noted last night, but noticing a few this morning on random sites - not quite 100% sure
- using VPN (windflix) results in fast.com speedtest being closer to line speed - 15 Mbps+

Just a thought - GoBinge is 'optional' and one can opt out .... I wonder if that is a factor
http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge

Tempted to call three and cancel that 'enhancement' ? Since I'm on unlimited data anyway
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Feb-20 12:15:36
Print Post

Tempted to call three and cancel that 'enhancement' ? Since I'm on unlimited data anyway

Sounds similar to the legacy traffic management those on the now discontinued "One plan" used to suffer from. The original "unlimited" plan.

Unless 5G rollout is fast, and people move to it, I can see the "unlimited" 4G plans becoming a problem again.

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Sat 29-Feb-20 12:26:21
Print Post

Tried ringing to complain, got nowhere, she said the name was wrong i was giving! checked the bill, they have my surname down twice and as my middle name! doh.

So fired off an email to the exec office instead
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-20 10:40:06
Print Post

Yesterday lunchtime I had a webchat with three.

They were insistent there was a known problem, but couldn't elaborate on what was effected, or had any ETA. True? Possibly - but I doubt they have the details. They also said they'd add me to notifications by text, but I'm sceptical - no confirmation on the BB sim nor main contact.

Anyway I pushed to get 'GoBinge' disabled which they seemed to think wouldn't help, but at the same time were ok to comply.

I think GoBinge may have had restrictions - whether still valid I can't be sure: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/three-...

I then restarted the router (just in case)

Many have seen a connection reset clear the issue for a few hours. in my case though previously it came back in hours , but so far
no stalls (I'd still like to see for longer, but looking more hopeful)
'fast.com' speedtests have gone from around 2 Mbps up to near line speed. (see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/three-... for caveats at the time, but no idea if these have changed)
- no pauses etc for netflix, youtube etc

It's perhaps the latter that's most interesting from a netflix perspective.

The router's heading back to it's home in a few hours, but if anything changes will update here

NOTE: My contract is unlimited, so GoBinge offers no financial benefit. If not unlimited it can be a significant cost saving, and I don't know if they'll put it back on again after, so tread carefully.

I can also add briefly I tried vodafone in the router -- speeds about double in this location, but worked well. It's my plan B if I can't get 3 working.

Edited by planetf1 (Sun 01-Mar-20 10:47:53)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-20 10:55:17
Print Post

These issues are present on Smarty, so doubt gobinge has anything to do with it. Go binge is likely just a flag on the intermediary system between billing and network to prompt billing system to zero rate.

Turning router off has helped in my case on Smarty for very short periods of time then is back just as bad as ever. Been flicking between 4G and 3G when peak time as 3G is much quicker than the poor 4G speed.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-20 10:59:03
Print Post

frown You shattered my optimism !

Seriously that's a good datapoint ... I may go to smarty anyway... and as you say no GoBinge there

That being said I did hit 2 issues - initially the pauses. Subseuently a few netflix glitches. the latter may be explained.

Out of interest how quickly after a restart do you tend to see issues?
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-20 12:24:33
Print Post

frown You shattered my optimism !

Seriously that's a good datapoint ... I may go to smarty anyway... and as you say no GoBinge there

That being said I did hit 2 issues - initially the pauses. Subseuently a few netflix glitches. the latter may be explained.

Out of interest how quickly after a restart do you tend to see issues?

Anything from 10 mins to an hour or so. I find the router is connecting to my preferred cell (band 3) and then has been flipped to another band when I check out of frustration that everything on Youtube is 240p / blocky. I'm finding all 3 of my in range cell sites totally lacking performance. The very regular stalling and not doing anything until videos are paused or websites refreshed is really starting to annoy me. Speeds are slow on 3G but this stalling issue isn't visible.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Sun 01-Mar-20 14:23:13
Print Post

Best case I've seen for the last 2 weeks is 20-30Mb/s and average 15-20Mb/s with 70ms latency at all times of the day/night. I've noticed web streaming to be most impacted with choppy and stalling playback. It appears Three are limiting bandwidth or throttling it in some way, especially Netflix and you-tube.

I can't have the Xbox one downloading an update and watch you-tube at the same time, if a phone in the house is watching you-tube and I try on the PC it just buffers constantly. Same goes for anything downloading on the PC and I try and watch you-tube on the Xbox One at the same time. Utterly pointless.

I'm also seeing times where webpages take ages to load or just don't come up at all, even thinkbroadband.com won't load up at all during these times. manually changing DNS servers don't make any difference as the latency is so poor. I have forgotten what a brisk browsing experience is these days.

Lastly for some reason I can't fathom, my desktop PC is wired to the B535 and every single time I turn on the PC, the router refuses to issue it an IP Address (even though DHCP is on). I have to pull the power plug on the router or "Troubleshoot" windows 10 network settings to reset the Ethernet connection. Sometimes I need to do it twice to get the router to connect. I've raised this one with three and they say I just need to reboot the router, like its nothing out the ordinary. But I'm resetting the router up to 20 times a day just to get a half-decent service. (I've even factory reset the B535 but that made no difference either.)

The first few months of Three broadband I experienced was brilliant 50-60Mb/s 24 hours a day and I had no complaints at all with the service, since January the quality of service has plummeted IMHO. Whilst I believe it's to do with the Three 5g roll-out being implemented really badly, the lack of "keeping customers informed" has just made the situation worse.

Its obviously a lack of backbone bandwidth to Three's broadband service since the 5g rollout. I get that they're traffic shaping the service whilst they load balance 5g, but the way they've gone about it has impacted existing 4g customers massively at the expense of a fast service for their new 5g customers.

I'm seriously considering ditching Three at this point.

Edited by buggerlugs (Sun 01-Mar-20 14:23:58)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-20 20:46:46
Print Post

Juts an update -- no further issues noted.
The router is now in another location so will only have second-hand reports until the end of the week.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-20 21:04:04
Print Post

I am now seeing a much more stable connection than a couple of weeks ago. The trouble is that it is really slow.
Uploads are half the speed they used to be, downloads about a third the speed. Latency is just as awful as before.
It seems that my contract with Three runs until early May. Well, it looks like they have about one month to sort themselves out (I doubt they will) and then I'll be getting myself a nice shiny new EE sim.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 06-Mar-20 18:32:29
Print Post

Hmm. Frying Pan, meet fire!

I was using EE a year or so ago, and it was excellent. But Three was far cheaper, and good enough. So I switched to Three. All good until the middle of February, when overnight it became slow and unreliable. A few weeks later, it is still slow, but no longer unreliable.

Three Support don't seem to have any idea, so I ordered an EE sim. It arrived today. It's about 40% more expensive than Three, but that's OK.

What isn't OK is that it is slower than Three. Yes, the latency is markedly better, but the speeds are worse. And there is some issue with IPv4.

My VOIP connections are hopeless with EE, fine with Three.

So after a few hours, I've cancelled the EE sim. What a pity. I had high hopes.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Mar-20 18:36:48
Print Post

Have you seen the stuff earlier in the thread about getting the Go Binge turned off?

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 07-Mar-20 18:08:04
Print Post

I turned gobinge off, but it wasn't relevant because I don't really use the services that gobinge affects.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 07-Mar-20 18:11:16
Print Post

The first few months of Three broadband I experienced was brilliant 50-60Mb/s 24 hours a day and I had no complaints at all with the service, since January the quality of service has plummeted IMHO. Whilst I believe it's to do with the Three 5g roll-out being implemented really badly, the lack of "keeping customers informed" has just made the situation worse.

Its obviously a lack of backbone bandwidth to Three's broadband service since the 5g rollout. I get that they're traffic shaping the service whilst they load balance 5g, but the way they've gone about it has impacted existing 4g customers massively at the expense of a fast service for their new 5g customers.
That matches my experience, but I'm not impressed by the argument that it's to do with the 5G rollout: we don't have any 5G coverage on Three round here.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 08-Mar-20 11:29:53
Print Post

Ok an update.

Back in Brighton (where I was having issues before) and the problems with stalling of connections most definately continue. All kinds of pages/sites (github, microsoft, bbc, youtube, google, local council .. all kinds) just fail to complete loading - or at least take 1-2 minutes to do so (if they don't timeout). Alexa struggles with some content - especially playing from tunein - nothing/silence & delays in amazon music. This was across 5 devices - iPhone8, iPhoneXSMax, Macbook Pro 15 2016, MS surface, LG smart TV (and and various devices like watches)

The removal of gibinge last week does mean the netflix etc specific issue of throttling has gone, so speeds are back at the 25-35 Mbps down (20-25 up) range, including on fast.com. Ping around 50ms. But it also confirms that for me at least gobinge was an issue with video throttling, but not the cause of the more general problem. (As usual dissecting apart multiple issues can be tricky)

Wanting to check the B535 itself I tried a Vodafone Sim. Oh WOW. What a difference. Ran it for over 24 hours (got through about 17GB) - web browsing, VoIP calls, facetime, netflix, downloads - all kinds. Absolutely impeccable. Subjectively things felt snappier. Ping time was down to 30ms, and speeds up to 100-148 Mbps (avg about 120 Mbp) down, and over 40 Mbps up. Zero delays. Of course mostly that just means vodafone is faster here. My primary concern is stability.

Vodafone is also at least 35 (Voxi) maybe 38 for unlimited/no speedcap on 1 month rolling - though if three isn't resolved I see little option. I'm planning to call to cancel, and then if things change in the notice period I can abort the cancelation.

Back to the 3 sim today and so far (30 mins in) no delays. Back to the slower speeds of course. Oh well. I suspect that reliability assessment will prove true. And it does seem to be somewhat related to local network - since in Hampshire whilst I think I noticed one or two stalls, in a day, of far more devices and activity & data useage it basically held up very well.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Mon 09-Mar-20 07:48:27
Print Post

Can confirm also Go binge taken off my account, did it online as was close to billing date and thought of talking to them on phone or chat was more than I could deal with.

Netflix is now back to normal.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 09-Mar-20 08:39:40
Print Post

I think we have multiple issues at work - affecting different people.

* GoBinge - this seems to work as we expect to some expect, only affecting streaming, and easily removed. Good news
* XBox - some reports of xbox downloads have issues. Three called me yesterday and say this is fixed (as of sat)
* Ad-hoc stalls - this may be just a local issue for me in Brighton, but it is definate ongoing despite the above two fixes.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-20 17:45:17
Print Post

Well today Three broadband is seriously on the fritz again for me! Never seen it this slow.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15838618614...

An amazing 4.58Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.

Tried xbox, best it can manage is 1mb! Averages 500kb!

Went onto Three's web chat, first thing they did was copy and paste a message saying they are not detecting any problems with the service and to ring technical support! Because they're likely to admit there's a issue too eh?

How can a service that was so good last year become so bad so quickly?
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-20 19:59:07
Print Post

Unlimited mobile broadband wasn't really a thing last year. Sure, you could throw an unlimited sim into a 4g router but i don't think many were willing to fork out a lump sum for a 4g router. Now Three are offering a router with an unlimited sim at a very cheap price. The probable reason for decline in speed and reliability.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-20 20:45:31
Print Post

I think you are spot on. Short of a mountain being built between me and the mast my router connects too, I "should" be getting the same consistent high speeds I got when I joined three last November. My connections RSRP, RSRQ and SNIR have remained the same as in November but the speed and reliability of the service has drastically fell.

During "today's" slow phase on Three broadband (when I gave up with the xbox), I rebooted the B535-232 it took it 5-10 minutes to even connect to the mast and when it did it dropped out twice with the connected light turning red before staying light blue.

Possible cause? Oversubscribed services on the mast?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-20 21:10:59
Print Post

Possible cause? Oversubscribed services on the mast?

More likely weather and atmospheric changes mean you're not picking up as strong a signal, assuming you've been getting 4G (LTE) all this time. If you were getting 3G (UMTS) then this can reduce its power output (ie, coverage) when under heavy load. 2G, 4G and 5G do not do this.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-20 22:12:08
Print Post

Tonight has been my worst night with three. I have a connection but there are timeouts all over the place. Can't watch VOD content without there being a problem. Downloads fail shortly after starting them. Online gaming is a no go with the time outs and lost packets. I hope its them trying to fix the issue and not another issue stacked on top of the countless other ones. I don't want to go back to 4mbps ADSL but at least it was somewhat reliable.
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-20 23:08:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Tonight has been my worst night with three. I have a connection but there are timeouts all over the place. Can't watch VOD content without there being a problem. Downloads fail shortly after starting them. Online gaming is a no go with the time outs and lost packets. I hope its them trying to fix the issue and not another issue stacked on top of the countless other ones. I don't want to go back to 4mbps ADSL but at least it was somewhat reliable.

Totally agree. I've complained via webchat and even the operators say they have internet issues!!!

I quote....
"I'd be happy to help you with your query, however our systems are having a temporary issue with the Internet at the moment.
There is no estimated time hence you can try later in the next couple of hours."
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-20 23:45:36
Print Post

I’ve lost both mine tonight, given up I’ll see what it’s like in morning

edit, not much better this morning, the mobile broadband (mifi) sim is currently working on 3G albeit slower than usual, havent got the nerve to see if it will work on 4G, the unlimited phone sim (in mikrotik) is connecting but not passing any data 3G or 4G.

Edited by Rolandrat (Wed 11-Mar-20 07:55:28)

(member) Wed 11-Mar-20 08:16:33
Print Post

Did you miss the bit where buggerlugs said:

"RSRP, RSRQ and SNIR have remained the same as in November'
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Wed 11-Mar-20 08:22:06
Print Post

Think he did. I'd already strategically placed my router in the best position in the house. The fact those numbers haven't changed but the reliability and speed has is almost certainly down to Three, and probably its 5g rollout impacting 4g customers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Mar-20 09:32:42
Print Post

Did you miss the bit where buggerlugs said:
"RSRP, RSRQ and SNIR have remained the same as in November'
Ahh, ok, missed that. Then given masts are being rebuilt from old technology to the new "cloud core" that Three talk about, this one probably hasn't been rebuilt yet.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 11-Mar-20 12:02:34
Print Post

Perhaps this had something to do with yesterdays hiccup

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/call-o...
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 16:48:40
Print Post

Really laggy on 4G the last hour or so, 3G fine.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-20 16:51:58
Print Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51926565

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 16:56:50
Print Post

Yes, very odd

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8120...
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 18-Mar-20 15:23:24
Print Post

I cancelled my Three contract yesterday - it has gradually become less usable, and remote working has become almost impossible. I signed up with Three because of the unlimited data allowance at a time when EE had low limits and were significantly more expensive. EE use the same mast which is a mile away in clear line-of-sight, and I've tested out a PAYG sim last week - it seems much better than Three, and I just clocked my fastest ever TBB speed test - 96.5Mbps! That's about 5 times the speed of Three on a good day, and now the unlimited data is only 50% more than with Three. Time will tell whether it holds up...
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Wed 18-Mar-20 16:13:50
Print Post

I hope Three are keeping tabs of this thread and taking note.
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Wed 18-Mar-20 19:38:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
I cancelled my Three contract yesterday - it has gradually become less usable, and remote working has become almost impossible. I signed up with Three because of the unlimited data allowance at a time when EE had low limits and were significantly more expensive. EE use the same mast which is a mile away in clear line-of-sight, and I've tested out a PAYG sim last week - it seems much better than Three, and I just clocked my fastest ever TBB speed test - 96.5Mbps! That's about 5 times the speed of Three on a good day, and now the unlimited data is only 50% more than with Three. Time will tell whether it holds up...

Were you past the minimum term of the contract, or were you able to cancel without penalty due to the ongoing issues?
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 18-Mar-20 20:27:25
Print Post

You can almost definitely cancel after minimum term. Head to their live chat and ask to talk to their complaints team. Tell them your issues. They will either try to keep you by refunding your days of lost service or reducing your monthly bill. But if you're adamant you want to cancel. They will let you. You will have to send equipment back in a red bag they send out. Though, i suggest having a back up sim ready as they cancelled my sim 30 mins after going through with the cancellation and left me with no connection at all smile Which is expected, obviously, but didn't expect to be disconnected instantly.
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 18-Mar-20 22:12:54
Print Post

Trying to phone an EE number today from the landline and several times I got message "there is an error, please hang up".
Standard User CJ8
(member) Wed 18-Mar-20 23:21:05
Print Post

They might as well turn the 4G network off here, for what use it’s been this evening. Currently 0.4 down and 0.7 up.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15845727228...

The phone is clinging solidly to band 3, so I can’t even blame it on band 20.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Thu 19-Mar-20 10:06:56
Print Post

I was past the end of the minimum contract period, and I went with a 30 day notice - I'll be paying for two connections for a month, but that gives me a backup for any teething problems. Since I work from home cost isn't as important to me as connectivity.
I may get a free Three SIM as a backup that I can top up if I ever need it. I don't currently have coverage from any other networks.
Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Fri 20-Mar-20 18:12:22
Print Post

I am sick & tired of my connection dropping after 5-6pm.
Whenever you phone them they always want you to log in follow these steps they ask you to do.
It is a total waste of my time going through this all the time.
But where to go for a reasonable price just to get home wifi.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Mar-20 18:59:59
Print Post

[re: elvisarron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by elvisarron:
But where to go for a reasonable price just to get home wifi.
You mean cheap?

Landline would probably be cheaper for any modern volume of data if Three doesn't cope where you are. I have no problem with it.

Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Sat 21-Mar-20 08:26:48
Print Post

Thanks for your reply but landline is not an option,as where we are in the countryside we can only manage under 1mbps,that,s why we got rid of it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Mar-20 10:35:30
Print Post

Ah. Point taken smile.

It does however also explain why your connection is so poor on Three, which is likely to have the least capacity on 4G. And probably where you are also on 3G. Many others in your area will be hitting it hard too. Particularly during what I read is now the peak time, 6-8 pm. I thought it would be longer than that and for you it almost certainly is.

EE is generally the best, with Vodafone also getting some good reports here in contrast to their fixed line service. O2 seems to me to be highly variable for available speeds depending on location.

You could do similar to what I did before ditching my perfectly satisfactory FTTC on cost grounds and went for the 2018 Three Black Friday Unlimited everything deal. I was on a 4G EE low allowance deal for it previously as I didn't really need mobile broadband in those days and had ditched O2 because of its uselessness even for voice and texts in various places I visited. Particularly but not just wide areas of Cornwall.

I bought a £1 Three PAYG SIM from the papershop and stuck a fiver on it for a few days, then took the plunge for my mobile and dropped my FTTC. At the beginning of Jan 2019, having survived the Christmas heavy period, I gave notice on the landline itself. Total saving compared to landline + FTTC + EE contract £49pm.

Since then I bought internet connected security cams so bought the Three HomeFi, as tethering those obviously wouldn't work when I was out of the house! I'm still quids in smile.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Sat 21-Mar-20 10:40:14
Print Post

Can you get Three on both 3G and 4G, or do they only have a 4G signal where you live?

If you can get a 3G signal from Three, there's a good chance EE will be available from the same mast as Three with a stronger 4G signal and more bandwidth. In the meantime it may be worth setting your network connection to 3G only mode, because Three's 3G signal is often a lot less congested than 4G.

If you can only get Three on 4G you're in their 'supervoice' coverage area which is just marketing speak for 'rubbish data speeds'. If you're in the West, try a pay as you go sim on Vodafone and EE to see if they work any better. If you're in the East, try O2 and EE.
Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Sat 21-Mar-20 16:06:40
Print Post

I am about a 1 hour drive south of Glasgow(East Ayrshire),we can only get 3G & it is setup for that mode.
So it is a bit of a nightmare for us here & talking to three is a waste of time & stressful.

Edited by elvisarron (Sat 21-Mar-20 16:07:32)

Standard User kams19
(newbie) Sat 21-Mar-20 16:09:06
Print Post

Has the network stabilised or I am talking too early?
My 4G has not dropped or traffic blackholed since 2 days now. Just checking with rest of you.
Earlier used to get speed in the range of 40-45 down, now its 20-25M though, which might be increase in users or people home working? Also I have not removed GoBinge the speed is still good on fast.com
Will be good to check others thoughts?
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Sat 21-Mar-20 18:13:45
Print Post

Maxing out at 14mb here.
Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 10:25:31
Print Post

Well last night it dropped about 5.45pm to 1.77mbps,shocking.
Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 21:37:32
Print Post

Tonight dropped to 1.63MBPS,consistantly s.h.i.t.hope three looks at these forums.

Edited by elvisarron (Wed 25-Mar-20 21:38:26)

Standard User onthenet
(member) Thu 26-Mar-20 17:37:10
Print Post

Mine used to be 100+ but has dropped to 80+ still good though.

Speedtest

Three 4G 100/30 Mbps
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-20 21:54:33
Print Post

Re: Is Three�s network struggling at the moment or is it j

So after 10 years with three I’ve completely had my fill. Other than my terrible experience with their joke of a CS department, the service is beyond bad now.

I’m fairly rural but it used to be pretty good. I can only pick up 2 bands (forget the which ones now) but one is a strong signal but slow, the other is not so sting but was always pretty fast (I have an 525 and have to use LTE inspecteur to force it to the fastest band). Last few weeks it’s been shocking, unusable a lot of the time. Looking to switch to Vodafone, but anything is can try before I do?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-20 22:01:49
Print Post

[re: autopilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by autopilot:
So after 10 years with three I’ve completely had my fill. Other than my terrible experience with their joke of a CS department, the service is beyond bad now.

Be aware that Three's CS is in India, and that country is on severe lockdown.

Many areas of the UK are under extreme load for mobile data services, my normal EE 100 Mbps at home is currently running at about 9 Mbps. frown

Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-20 23:36:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by autopilot:

Be aware that Three's CS is in India, and that country is on severe lockdown.

Many areas of the UK are under extreme load for mobile data services, my normal EE 100 Mbps at home is currently running at about 9 Mbps. frown

They are not just in India, they also have people in Skypark, Glasgow. Although I think Skypark has been furloughed since last Thursday.
Standard User bsod
(committed) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:07:46
Print Post

Good going 3 with the new network:

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.64.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 31 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.42.129
3 39 ms 79 ms 1338 ms 172.27.19.5
6 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.

vs. old network?

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.128.81]

1 10 ms 1 ms 3 ms 192.168.42.129
3 50 ms 29 ms 47 ms 172.23.128.217
4 49 ms 53 ms 43 ms 172.23.162.4
5 49 ms 46 ms 41 ms 172.23.175.1
7 60 ms 41 ms * 188.31.255.138.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.138]
8 45 ms 51 ms 55 ms 188.31.255.122.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.122]
9 57 ms * 55 ms 188.31.255.181.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.181]
10 99 ms 56 ms 57 ms be4250.agr21.lhr01.atlas.cogentco.com [149.6.9.2
5]
11 57 ms 47 ms * be3672.ccr52.lhr01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.4
8.145]
12 47 ms * 63 ms fastly.demarc.cogentco.com [149.6.8.6]
13 52 ms 50 ms 49 ms 151.101.128.81

Any reason why they have completely barred traceroutes? Are they wanting to hide the w*nk performance of their network?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Apr-20 00:11:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by bsod:
Good going 3 with the new network:

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.64.81]

1 31 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.42.129
3 39 ms 79 ms 1338 ms 172.27.19.5
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.

vs. old network?

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.128.81]

1 10 ms 1 ms 3 ms 192.168.42.129
3 50 ms 29 ms 47 ms 172.23.128.217
4 49 ms 53 ms 43 ms 172.23.162.4
5 49 ms 46 ms 41 ms 172.23.175.1
7 60 ms 41 ms * 188.31.255.138.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.138]
8 45 ms 51 ms 55 ms 188.31.255.122.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.122]
9 57 ms * 55 ms 188.31.255.181.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.181]
10 99 ms 56 ms 57 ms be4250.agr21.lhr01.atlas.cogentco.com [149.6.9.2
5]
11 57 ms 47 ms * be3672.ccr52.lhr01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.4
8.145]
12 47 ms * 63 ms fastly.demarc.cogentco.com [149.6.8.6]
13 52 ms 50 ms 49 ms 151.101.128.81

Any reason why they have completely barred traceroutes? Are they wanting to hide the w*nk performance of their network?
To your failing one:-

C:\Users\Bob>tracert 151.101.64.81

Tracing route to 151.101.64.81 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.8.1]
3 51 ms 47 ms 47 ms 172.23.192.145
4 44 ms 44 ms 47 ms 172.23.212.209
5 53 ms 46 ms 47 ms 188.31.255.89.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.89]
6 46 ms 32 ms 49 ms 188.31.255.154.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.154]
7 44 ms 38 ms 50 ms 188.31.255.158.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.158]
8 48 ms 37 ms 48 ms 188.31.255.174.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.174]
9 45 ms 45 ms 54 ms be4497.ccr21.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [149.6.3.129]
10 43 ms 48 ms 47 ms 149.6.2.38
11 48 ms 37 ms 43 ms 151.101.64.81

Trace complete.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Apr-20 07:28:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by bsod:

Unlikely there is any intent in stopping traceroute working. More likely the routers your traffic is passing through are configured to route real traffic and not respond to traffic directed at the router. Traceroutes are not really a diagnostic for performance, and in heavy load situations the routers will ignore responding to you, and will get on with their real job first.

Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Thu 02-Apr-20 11:21:23
Print Post

Can,t wait for my contract to run out.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Tue 07-Apr-20 17:45:21
Print Post

My 3 signal has gone rubbish, the mast i usually connect to has vanished, well not connecting!

Not staying with 3 if this is permanent , getting about 2mbs now, 3G and 4G.
Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Tue 07-Apr-20 18:06:08
Print Post

Yep all gone down the pan again.

I was actually praising Three to a work colleague, in that it had been quite usable during the lock-down, but then it started to go downhill again badly this afternoon.

What are they doing with the network! We know it can be good, why can't they maintain that level?

Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=289ms TTL=53
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=243ms TTL=53
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=251ms TTL=53
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=263ms TTL=53
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=273ms TTL=53
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=314ms TTL=53

Edited by Timh30 (Tue 07-Apr-20 18:18:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Apr-20 18:20:54
Print Post

C:\Users\Bob>ping 1.1.1.1

Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=57
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 41ms

C:\Users\Bob>

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Apr-20 18:51:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timh30:
What are they doing with the network! We know it can be good, why can't they maintain that level?

three are often the cheapest. With people now stuck at home, the number of people using all the networks has been hit hard. My EE connection here at home is normally around 100 Mbps, dropping to 60 or if busy. All weekend it was 5 Mbps.

These are not normal times frown

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 07-Apr-20 20:05:16
Print Post

Have to agree, Im getting 3 or 4 Mbps on an external Mikrotik that was getting 60+ in the old days, ive just chucked a EE sim in there and that is pulling 35Mbps and thats in the evening now.
Ive been trying to cancel 2 x 3sims all day, phone is no use, 333 just cuts me off when I choose the correct option and chat is always busy. Email addresses Ive found just bounce back.
Ive actually just written a letter and posted it as I cant get any other result.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Wed 08-Apr-20 15:08:09
Print Post

My mast back up now, b3-1800mhz 15mhz was getting about 110 this morning 6am, 60 now

https://i.postimg.cc/Hkq2g4vR/2222222222222222222.jpg

it also connected to a different one which was fast, and my directional outside antenna wasn't even pointing at it!

b1-2100mhz 10mhs

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Wed 08-Apr-20 15:12:47)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-20 19:43:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobbyboyuk:
it also connected to a different one which was fast, and my directional outside antenna wasn't even pointing at it!

The warm weather drying out leaves will be changing the propogation of signals through trees. That is a good speed for 10mhz of bandwidth.

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 13:15:25
Print Post

Ive got an EE unlimitied 4G data,calls,texts sim coming for £28 a month, will see how that is, can always cancel within 14 days.

My 3 speed this morning was silly good

https://i.postimg.cc/Rhyg9KwS/llllllllllllllllllllll...

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Thu 09-Apr-20 13:16:23)

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:26:23
Print Post

Just as a matter of interest Bobby, does it come from the same mast you use with three?
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:30:30
Print Post

Will tell you when i get it smile no idea if EE is limited as well to 60mb/s, soon find out.

I remember when i was on Virgin Mobile, i got a great signal indoors on 4G on my phone, yet with 3 4G is iffy inside.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:31:29
Print Post

Also what i did with EE was leave the £34 sim deal in my basket and leave half way through the checkout, day later they called me.

All legit!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:49:10
Print Post

Just as a matter of interest Bobby, does it come from the same mast you use with three?
In many cases EE and Three share physical masts, but that doesn't mean they share spectrum (frequencies) or backhaul connectivity to the core.

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:10:05
Print Post

Whilst I get that, it'd be interesting to see which carrier puts more investment into their mast infrastructure.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:13:13
Print Post

It would make sense for it to be related to the spectrum holdings they own.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Apr-20 18:43:30
Print Post

Re: Is Three's network struggling at the moment or is it j

EE in most places, and depending on your plan (or it used to) provide the full spec 4G whereas Three and many others only LTE which they call 4G.

In just a few places I occasionally see 4G+ on my phone, but AIUI even that isn't what EE provides.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 09-Apr-20 18:43:57)

Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 09-Apr-20 21:05:27
Print Post

Spectrum holdings don't explain why Three still hasn't re-farmed any 3G spectrum to 4G at my local mast. I assume it would require new equipment and they don't want to spend any money until the 5G upgrade.

This mast recently started doing 2CA but in an odd way. If the phone is on 1800, which it normally is for 4G, it won't add 800. But on the odd occasion the phone is connected to 800 it will add 1800 as the second carrier before switching back to 1800 only after a few minutes.

Why would the equipment do B20+B3 but not B3+B20? Unless it's clever enough to know that B20 is so congested it's not worth adding. Another local Three mast will aggregate the same two bands in either order, so it's not a network-wide setup.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-20 21:09:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJ8:
Spectrum holdings don't explain why Three still hasn't re-farmed any 3G spectrum to 4G at my local mast. I assume it would require new equipment and they don't want to spend any money until the 5G upgrade.

They also will know how many phones are unable to do VoLTE and hence need 3G capacity for voice calls. Right now, during this pandemic, this is a real concern. You may be right that the existing vendor kit is not up to the job and is being replaced, as well as the 5G roll out.

This mast recently started doing 2CA but in an odd way. If the phone is on 1800, which it normally is for 4G, it won't add 800. But on the odd occasion the phone is connected to 800 it will add 1800 as the second carrier before switching back to 1800 only after a few minutes.

Why would the equipment do B20+B3 but not B3+B20? Unless it's clever enough to know that B20 is so congested it's not worth adding. Another local Three mast will aggregate the same two bands in either order, so it's not a network-wide setup.

The mast will always push people to B3 because there is 15mhz of spectrum here. B20 is only 5mhz, so if you can get both, then I'm not surprised you are pushed off B20, to allow those further away to get some coverage.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 09-Apr-20 22:02:09
Print Post

They also will know how many phones are unable to do VoLTE and hence need 3G capacity for voice calls.
In that case I'll put my Three sim back into an iphone to encourage them along! As usual 3G H+ is running over 10Mbps tonight, while 4G 1800 is less than 1Mbps.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 11-Apr-20 13:08:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobbyboyuk:
My 3 signal has gone rubbish, the mast i usually connect to has vanished, well not connecting!

Not staying with 3 if this is permanent , getting about 2mbs now, 3G and 4G.
It's the same for me.

I think the problem is that they are reconfiguring for the rollout of 5G.

Some of that has taken some 3G and 4G cells offline, some of it is that they are trying to clear the 3G frequencies for 5G, so moving more traffic to 4G (if you have the misfortune to be in a "Supervoice" area, your 4G will be slower).

In addition, if they are removing good Huawei kit and putting in inferior Nokia and Ericsson kit, that won't help.

I've had to give up on Band 3 and stick to Band 20, which has limited bandwidth on my local Three cells, but seems less overloaded.

Band 3 has hopeless download speeds, but excellent upload.

Band 20 is just about good enough both ways, with much better latency. Of course, that's just on the cell I use!

In February, when the troubles started, the network routing was all over the place. Lots of failed connections. They seemed to fix that in a few weeks (not sure when, because I was away when they sorted it).

The lockdown has probably put paid to expectations of an early resolution of all the issues.

I'm hoping that when they have finally finished the changes, things will get significantly better. Of course, I don't have a 5G router, so that'll be another expense.

I've tried EE because they used to be far better (if more expensive). They were even worse than Three (EE used to use the same tower that vanished form Three - it's also vanished from EE)..

I've tried Vodafone. They are a bit better than Three, but at almost twice the price, and no publicly-accessible IP address. An A&A VPN failed to get round that - I'm not sure why.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Apr-20 13:40:10
Print Post

I read they’re removing inferior Samsung and installing Huwaei kit connected to the new core.

Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 08:34:59
Print Post

Got a letter this morning stating that they are increasing prices,they have got a cheek for the rubbish connection i get.

Edited by elvisarron (Tue 14-Apr-20 08:36:08)

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 14-Apr-20 09:00:37
Print Post

If they've got the nerve to send me one I'll literally set up a website cataloguing their every issue from disgruntled customers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Apr-20 09:22:59
Print Post

If they've got the nerve to send me one I'll literally set up a website cataloguing their every issue from disgruntled customers.
That could be unwise.

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 14-Apr-20 09:32:45
Print Post

Well, maybe they should actually come on here and defend their total inaction then? But in doing so Three would have to admit they have issues so I'm not holding my breath.

I don't take the credit for starting this thread, but at 12,000 views I don't think its asking too much for Three to be taking notice of what their customers are saying and responding to the criticism.

If they need a push in that direction, I'll be happy to oblige.

Edited by buggerlugs (Tue 14-Apr-20 09:47:46)

Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 10:35:18
Print Post

Well, maybe they should actually come on here and defend their total inaction then? But in doing so Three would have to admit they have issues so I'm not holding my breath.

I don't take the credit for starting this thread, but at 12,000 views I don't think its asking too much for Three to be taking notice of what their customers are saying and responding to the criticism.

If they need a push in that direction, I'll be happy to oblige.

I could not agree more.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Apr-20 10:50:59
Print Post

Well, maybe they should actually come on here and defend their total inaction then?
I doubt if they even know these forums exist.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 13:33:10
Print Post

I swear i get a new issue on the monthly smile

My speed has been fairly consistent, but as of late I've constantly had to refresh links to get the websites to show up. This happens on every device in the house, including consoles, sky box etc.. Constantly resubmitting requests is a pain. It's as if my request gets lost in the network and forgets to return it back to the device leading to me constantly refreshing until it does make it back to me. Doesn't bother video though once the site has loaded either. Changing DNS hasn't worked.

Can't do much though, no one else offers me a 50+mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Apr-20 14:44:45
Print Post

If you Refresh the page because it isn't loading, I nowadays always check if the little arrowed circle of whatever on the device is rotating.

If you refresh again while it is doing that, and worse still refresh a few times, the browser gets very upset smile.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 14:57:28
Print Post

I've noticed laugh The browser does show that its loading the site but nothing happens till i refresh 1-5 times. And when the browser starts acting up closing the tab typically sorts that issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply with console/games. I usually have to close the application/game and reopen to get it to connect. Have to do that several times to get it to connect sometimes. An issue i've faced before but not non stop like this.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 15:34:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
I've noticed laugh The browser does show that its loading the site but nothing happens till i refresh 1-5 times. And when the browser starts acting up closing the tab typically sorts that issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply with console/games. I usually have to close the application/game and reopen to get it to connect. Have to do that several times to get it to connect sometimes. An issue i've faced before but not non stop like this.

Get the exact same thing!
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Tue 14-Apr-20 15:47:00
Print Post

Yes, I get the same with you tube on PC and Xbox, seems to take forever to load up.
Standard User Victor84
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 17:04:47
Print Post

Hi all. I’ve been monitoring a few threads like this for a few weeks now. I’ve got a Huawei B535 on Three and I keep getting the same issue others have reported with webpages intermittently not loading, and having to reload, or restart the browser to get it to load.

I was just wondering - is there anyone having this issue who isn’t using the Huawei B535? As things stand, I’d be quite happy to buy a different router if I thought it would improve matters. If however, people are having the same issue with other modems/routers, then it points more towards a network problem.
Standard User andrewpmoore
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 19:57:40
Print Post

[re: Victor84] [link to this post]

It'll make no difference. I also had a Huawei B535 and thought it may be that.
I also found I'd had to reboot it frequently since getting it.

I purchased a tp-link mr6000 router. It's nicely fixed needing a reboot every few days, but the page refreshing to get it to work is exactly the same.

We use 3 broadband and 3 mobile contracts and get the same on all devices recently.

Came here after being pointed here from the plex forums where some features just won't work at all on three at the moment 😔
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 21:17:27
Print Post

[re: Victor84] [link to this post]

It also happens on my phone that is also with the three network. I think it's a three issue and not a hardware issue on our end.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 22:15:22
Print Post

100% nothing to do with the equipment.
It was doing my head in at the end, I can only suggest people to vote with their feet, I myself was going to keep one of the three sims I had as a mobile backup to my fttp service, but instead im using a EE sim, which is not only 10x the speed of an evening it also works fine when browsing etc, yes its more expensive, but you know what they say!!
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 14-Apr-20 22:24:16
Print Post

I would love to but my speed is doubled, sometimes tripled with Three. As much of an inconvenience this is, i'd rather have the speed over reliability at the moment. Especially with all the family home during these times. It would get slow real quick with EE.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Wed 15-Apr-20 15:14:42
Print Post

Still waiting for my EE sim!!
Standard User andrewpmoore
(newbie) Wed 15-Apr-20 20:02:01
Print Post

Interesting that I came here with issues with the app plex.
I've got the url from them which won't work with three and the error I'm getting is 429 (too many requests) so I'm guessing they are sharing the ip addresses in some way so maybe other services hit this issue in a similar way.

This is the request that always fails on 4g for me
https://epg.provider.plex.tv/
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-20 09:28:18
Print Post

[re: andrewpmoore] [link to this post]

That URL doesn't work on my phone on EE or wireless and gets the same error as you from my laptop - so it looks like it is something at the sites end rather than three.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Thu 16-Apr-20 10:34:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just wondered if I may have solved a part of this website stumbling issue.

I turned off "SIP ALG status" under "Security" SIP ALG settings in the router. (By default its switched to the ON position)

Apparently its a NAT tool that inspects SIP Messages and transforms the Private IP addresses and Ports to Public IP Addresses and Ports. So its certainly possible that SIP messages could be slowing down the request/response process.

May be a complete coincidence but since turning it off the problem has vanished for me.

Edited by buggerlugs (Thu 16-Apr-20 10:34:58)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-20 11:00:49
Print Post

I am getting a response now as well so think it is coincidence as I haven't changed anything. I think the server is throttling connections and stops them if too many people are hitting it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Apr-20 13:59:45
Print Post

I just get:-
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<MediaProvider title="Cloud EPG" sourceTitle="On Plex" version="1.3.0" protocols="stream" identifier="tv.plex.provider.epg">
<Feature key="/library/metadata" type="metadata"/>
<Feature key="/grid" type="grid"/>
<Feature key="/lineups" type="lineups"/>
<Feature key="https://transcoder.plex.tv/photo" type="imagetranscoder" public="1"/>
<Feature key="/location" type="location"/>
<Feature key="/settings" type="settings"/>
<Feature key="/library/sections" type="content">
<Directory title="Live TV" id="home" type="episode" hubKey="/hubs/sections/home" context="content.home">
<Pivot title="Recommended" id="epg.recommended" key="/hubs/sections/home" type="hub" context="content.home" symbol="star"/>
<Pivot title="Guide" id="epg.guide" key="view://dvr/guide" type="view" context="content.dvr.guide" symbol="guide"/>
</Directory>
</Feature>
<Feature key="/library/metadata/matches" type="match"/>
</MediaProvider>
From that link.

This is using Edge on a Windows 10 laptop connected to a B311 with that ALG setting ON.

The same happened yesterday the same, and also yesterday on an iPad + Safari on the same router.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-20 14:02:11
Print Post

I assumed that was what you were expecting. It all seems issues at their end rather than yours so it is their site that needs fixing if that isn't what you expected to receive.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Apr-20 14:19:30
Print Post

The rest of you are saying you get nothing, or an error number.

I wasn't expecting anything specifically, but no-one has said they get what I do smile.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-20 14:45:44
Print Post

Sorry Bob, I didn't look who posted previously when I responded - was doing other things as well. I get the same as you now, earlier in the day on laptop I was getting the same message as the poster who posted the link (an error) and on my phone I wasn't getting anything - just a blank page.

I have no idea what the page should be returning if it is working correctly - what you are seeing may well be what it is supposed to return.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 16-Apr-20 15:08:27
Print Post

I also get the same. Though, when i refresh a couple of times in a minute i get the same message as the poster. Another refresh fixes it and get the same message again.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Thu 16-Apr-20 16:10:52
Print Post

Just wondered if I may have solved a part of this website stumbling issue.

I turned off "SIP ALG status" under "Security" SIP ALG settings in the router. (By default its switched to the ON position)

Apparently its a NAT tool that inspects SIP Messages and transforms the Private IP addresses and Ports to Public IP Addresses and Ports. So its certainly possible that SIP messages could be slowing down the request/response process.

May be a complete coincidence but since turning it off the problem has vanished for me.

Think you may have fixed that! smile Mines been fine the last hr or so since i turned it off, well done
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-20 16:49:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I just get:From that link.

The link isn't meant for a browser. The XML you are getting is meant to be interpreted by an application that would make a call back to the URL with parameters, probably to receive whats on BBC One at 8pm tonight for example smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Apr-20 18:21:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I just get:From that link.

The link isn't meant for a browser. The XML you are getting is meant to be interpreted by an application that would make a call back to the URL with parameters, probably to receive whats on BBC One at 8pm tonight for example smile
I had sort of come to that conclusion smile. But thanks for clarifying.

The confusion arising (in my case at least) from the poster of the link presenting it as a normal URL, and not specifying from what application on what hardware and OS they are getting the problem.

I've no intention of downloading any such app to find out wink.

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Thu 16-Apr-20 18:23:25
Print Post

Looks like Plex or Kodi to me..... smile
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 17-Apr-20 17:42:40
Print Post

Sorry to hear people still getting this.. Just jumping in on the device issue to point out the B535 does not get this stalling issue with Vodafone FYI...
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Fri 17-Apr-20 17:46:08
Print Post

Been using my EE sim in the B535 router today, no stalling.

Need to get up the ladder though and point the aerial towards a different mast!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 18:02:25
Print Post

Sorry to hear people still getting this.. Just jumping in on the device issue to point out the B535 does not get this stalling issue with Vodafone FYI...

I wonder if its a problem at the mast site, and when Three refresh the hardware if it goes away. There were reports that Three were unhappy with their old vendor, allegedly Samsung, and refreshing with Huawei, before they talked about 5G. Then Three lost some senior network staff about the time the Govt decision on use of Huawei was published.

Three as a company is interesting to say the least.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 17-Apr-20 18:38:28
Print Post

I wonder if its a problem at the mast site, and when Three refresh the hardware if it goes away. There were reports that Three were unhappy with their old vendor, allegedly Samsung, and refreshing with Huawei, before they talked about 5G. Then Three lost some senior network staff about the time the Govt decision on use of Huawei was published.

Three as a company is interesting to say the least.

The problem started for me when they refreshed the mast equipment and re-farmed some of the 3G Band 1 frequency or 4G.

Knocked Three on the head now, too unreliable from Feb onwards.

Edited by gary333 (Fri 17-Apr-20 18:39:19)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 19:45:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
The problem started for me when they refreshed the mast equipment and re-farmed some of the 3G Band 1 frequency or 4G.

Interesting, I wonder if the improved performance meant some people in your area used it a lot more. Three suffered years ago with overuse from their original "unlimited" price plan, the One Plan, and eventually had to force people off it.

Now all the networks offer an unlimited plan, they shouldn't have all the "download the internet" brigade flocking to Three, but maybe its price dependent.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 17-Apr-20 20:13:49
Print Post

Interesting, I wonder if the improved performance meant some people in your area used it a lot more. Three suffered years ago with overuse from their original "unlimited" price plan, the One Plan, and eventually had to force people off it.

Now all the networks offer an unlimited plan, they shouldn't have all the "download the internet" brigade flocking to Three, but maybe its price dependent.

Doubt it, got a text saying the network is being improved, then later that day and the next day another to say network issues. From that day onwards the service was a joke, and to put the cherry on the cake it prevented me from getting CA across band 20 & 3 from then as presumably my two local masts has different equipment was now not compatible. Just to confirm on day 3 they sent a text saying your network has been improved blah blah blah, nope, you’ve just made it worse.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 20:27:18
Print Post

Doubt it, got a text saying the network is being improved, then later that day and the next day another to say network issues. From that day onwards the service was a joke, and to put the cherry on the cake it prevented me from getting CA across band 20 & 3 from then as presumably my two local masts has different equipment was now not compatible. Just to confirm on day 3 they sent a text saying your network has been improved blah blah blah, nope, you’ve just made it worse.

I guess its on newer equipment if they text'd you, possibly even different antenna panels pointing in slightly different directions that made it stop working for you specifically.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 17-Apr-20 20:35:39
Print Post

I guess its on newer equipment if they text'd you, possibly even different antenna panels pointing in slightly different directions that made it stop working for you specifically.

There was a slight movement of a couple of degrees, however moving the B525 very slightly adapted to that and the RSRP and SNR was better than before so it’s not not a signal issue. 5 bars on display too. The issue as reported on here by lots of people is something has been done wholesale and is effecting service all over country. Three CS have said a couple of times they were aware of issues all over country. Clearly the network upgrade is causing issues.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-20 18:33:41
Print Post

Where I am, initially, the problem was lots of dropped packets, dropped connections, hopeless routing. That was February.

Eventually, Three fixed that and it was just much slower than it had been, particularly on Band 3.

I switched to using Band 20, which has been giving slow but acceptable speeds and reliability.

Every week or so I've been trying Band 3 (which has more bandwidth) and although the uplink speed was excellent, the downlink was really slow.

Today, I tried again, and it is good again! Both up and down are nice and fast, and the latency is no worse than it used to be.

I also see that the status page notice that apologises for an ongoing, complex problem that is taking a long time to fix has disappeared. Let's hope the is the dawn of a new, usable connection!

I made some fuss when it went wrong, so it's only fair to mention when they appear to have fixed it!

Edited by hoopla (Mon 20-Apr-20 18:34:22)

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Mon 20-Apr-20 20:54:03
Print Post

Latency seems improved slightly for me. My connection starts the day 6am till 12pm at 70mb/s (saw 90mb for a short time today), then it slowly drops to around 25-30mb for the rest of the day now.

The problem with it finding webpages seems improved though I think that may be more down to me turning off SIP ALG and increasing the MTU to 1492.

The Xbox still struggles and i never see it go above 30mb/s at any time but its borderline usable I guess. At the same time on the PC I can get 70mb so I'd say Three is throttling xbox live.

I'm certain its mast capacity that's the issue for me, that and the fact my mast won't aggregate other bands.

Its acceptable currently for me now, a far sight better than it was in January/February. Its not ideal but it'll suffice.
Standard User zac222
(newbie) Fri 24-Apr-20 15:13:08
Print Post

Sick to death of my experiences with Three this year. Fantastic speeds last year of 30mbs (I know that's not much to most but for what we need it is more than enough), then sometime in January it took a nosedive. We noticed on our Huawei B310 (we have tried the B311 but as it only has 1 SMA port we stayed with the B310. The same problems arose on the B311 as well) the signal strength dropped from 3 bars down to 2. Now we are lucky to get above 7-8mbs and the last few days it has dropped to below 3mbs.

Three Customer Service (even pre-coronavirus) are pitiful. Was first told there was an issue and they were working on it, then was told they fixed it, then told there wasn't a problem to begin with. Our most recent attempt at remedying the situation resulted in them sending us a replacement sim which has since been activated and done nothing for our speeds.

Here is a recent speed test for reference: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15877361066...
Standard User kommando
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 17:28:13
Print Post

[re: zac222] [link to this post]

Here is my speedtest, other than 3 or 4 days when the local mast played up this is normal. You have to take 20mb off the HTTP as I run a dual wan router and on the HTTP the Vodafone kicks in.

The Three mast I use is shared with EE, their service was off for the same 3 to 4 days so the fault must have been the power supply.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

That suggests the issues are mast upgrades by Three or local congestion.

Edited by kommando (Fri 24-Apr-20 17:30:25)

Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Fri 24-Apr-20 20:57:07
Print Post

Re web pages not loading - I changed the MTU on the B535 to 1500 and so far it seems much more responsive and all pages seem to be loading on the first attempt.

Latency seems improved slightly for me. My connection starts the day 6am till 12pm at 70mb/s (saw 90mb for a short time today), then it slowly drops to around 25-30mb for the rest of the day now.

The problem with it finding webpages seems improved though I think that may be more down to me turning off SIP ALG and increasing the MTU to 1492.

The Xbox still struggles and i never see it go above 30mb/s at any time but its borderline usable I guess. At the same time on the PC I can get 70mb so I'd say Three is throttling xbox live.

I'm certain its mast capacity that's the issue for me, that and the fact my mast won't aggregate other bands.

Its acceptable currently for me now, a far sight better than it was in January/February. Its not ideal but it'll suffice.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Apr-20 21:34:18
Print Post

Re web pages not loading - I changed the MTU on the B535 to 1500 and so far it seems much more responsive and all pages seem to be loading on the first attempt.

Was that not the factory default?

You should leave MTU alone on routers / home gateway devices. If you want to reduce MTU do that on your computer / laptop.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Apr-20 23:34:25
Print Post

Was that not the factory default?
It is indeed 1500 on the earlier B311. I doubt if Three have altered it as that would be a nonsense for compatibility.

Standard User Timh30
(newbie) Sat 25-Apr-20 00:11:17
Print Post

The MTU as shipped/configured by Three on my B535 was 1440.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Apr-20 00:14:54
Print Post

Oh! Right!

How strange 🤔.

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Sat 25-Apr-20 08:21:48
Print Post

TimH30 said "The MTU as shipped/configured by Three on my B535 was 1440. "

Yes. mine was set to 1440 by default. I find an MTU of 1492 is the sweet spot. Then in Ethernet settings I change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 80.80.81.81.

This will resolve the website resolving problems for me mostly. Only when I'm maxing out the connection does the issue return, at this point I end up having to reboot the router to make it go away.

Three needs to add a "reboot my router every "xhrs" to its firmware on the B535, it'd solve a huge amount of manual resets for customers due to their "shonky network".

Edited by buggerlugs (Sat 25-Apr-20 08:23:27)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Apr-20 09:15:52
Print Post

Yes. mine was set to 1440 by default. I find an MTU of 1492 is the sweet spot.

As low as 1440 is odd, but 1492 is the number used on shared wired networks (such as BT wholesale) where the connection is shared with other customers and needs PPP around your data flow. The Ethernet (and also used on WiFi) default is 1500.

This is why you should leave the router at 1500 and change on the computer:

Your computer will send packets of 1500 bytes and they will hit the router, whereby the router itself has to hold on to them, cut them into 1492 or 1440 size units and send on.

Your computer has a lot more speed and capacity than your router, so because it is so busy cutting these packets of information into smaller sizes, it is throwing away speed.

If you change the MTU on your computer, then your router has to do nothing but forward the smaller packets to the network, something it can do very quickly.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Sun 26-Apr-20 09:54:52
Print Post

They’ve done the B1 re-farm to 4G at my local mast in the last couple of days. What a difference, from under 1Mbps (0.08 in one recent test) to 20-30Mbps.

Unfortunately there is now some kind of routing problem on the backhaul. Lots of sites including this one just give server timeouts on 4G and won’t load at all. They load fine on 3G.
Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Sun 26-Apr-20 13:41:18
Print Post

I am seeking advice from people who know a lot more than i do.
I was thinking about looking at EE for mobile BB,any thoughts,i am sick of three & there rubbish CS.

Edited by elvisarron (Sun 26-Apr-20 13:42:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Apr-20 13:54:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by elvisarron:
I am seeking advice from people who know a lot more than i do.
I was thinking about looking at EE for mobile BB,any thoughts,i am sick of three & there rubbish CS.
My first piece of advice would be that you delete this post of yours and start a brand new thread to ask your question.

So far into such a long "complaints" thread many people will have stop reading it so won't see your post.

Standard User elvisarron
(newbie) Sun 26-Apr-20 14:50:34
Print Post

It,s ok.
(member) Sun 26-Apr-20 17:48:54
Print Post

Your computer will send packets of 1500 bytes and they will hit the router, whereby the router itself has to hold on to them, cut them into 1492 or 1440 size units and send on.

Your computer has a lot more speed and capacity than your router, so because it is so busy cutting these packets of information into smaller sizes, it is throwing away speed.

If you change the MTU on your computer, then your router has to do nothing but forward the smaller packets to the network, something it can do very quickly.

That is why MTU discovery was invented, you shouldn't need to be changing MTUs on your computers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Apr-20 19:35:21
Print Post

That is why MTU discovery was invented, you shouldn't need to be changing MTUs on your computers.

Agreed, some VPNs do mess with it though.

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Tue 28-Apr-20 23:14:13
Print Post

The Three mast I use is shared with EE, their service was off for the same 3 to 4 days so the fault must have been the power supply.
I used to get really good speeds from EE but Three was cheaper and good enough. When Three stopped working well, I tried EE again, and they were terrible.
Three and EE had been using the same mast, and it seemingly wasn't there any more.
But it has come back on line for Three, and with it, decent performance.
I've not checked to see if EE also has it working again now.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Wed 29-Apr-20 08:49:26
Print Post

This issue with pages not loading has gotten me wondering if its anything to do with Three's use of Deep Packet inspection? So when the network is busy its struggling to inspect everything and causing slow downs on the routing process?

I also notice three has decided to do some "very cheap" 4g for school kids programme, which obviously comes with locked down websites and won't help but contribute to even more contention on the network.
(member) Wed 29-Apr-20 10:19:01
Print Post

I doubt much deep packet inspection goes on nowadays. Over 90%* of web traffic is transported by HTTPS now, meaning the ISP can't meaningfully inspect details of most traffic beyond the destination IP address.

* https://transparencyreport.google.com/https/overview...
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Wed 29-Apr-20 11:20:30
Print Post

Yes, the EE cell is up again on the same mast (well, the same church tower)
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Fri 01-May-20 06:37:42
Print Post

My 3 speed at the moment, my Poynting XPOL-2-5G aerial isnt even pointing at the mast, need to get up that ladder!

This mast has only shown up in the last 2 weeks or so.

3 SPEED

I think my unlimited EE sim may use the same mast, but not as good in my router, pretty decent on the pixel 4xl though, may use 4x4 mimo.

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Fri 01-May-20 06:40:34)

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 09:15:25
Print Post

Interesting because my router dbm's are far better than yours with a SINR of 20dB, the only difference is you can get Band 1 and are also connected to another cell (getting Carrier Aggregation) to get the + on the end of your 4G.

I can only get connected to my mast on band 3 with no CA, and the best I've seen (this year) is around 70Mbps. Last November I was getting over 100Mbps, after then it started to slide. Its never recovered really since January.

Just done a test on here 9am Friday Morning, 30Mbps at best!

www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1588320388173091355

Its so frustrating when I know from experience that Three is capable of so much more. Just wish they're technical department were actually up to the task. (sadly they are not.)

Three's vast differences with new and "very old" mast tech coupled with both good and bad contention across their network obviously has a hell of a lot to be said for............

Edited by buggerlugs (Fri 01-May-20 09:16:16)

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(committed) Fri 01-May-20 10:29:39
Print Post

Just put my EE sim in my european B535, new update for it.

Bridge mode still there on it.

UPDATE
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 10:47:31
Print Post

Just to be aware, I'm running 10.0.1.1(H191SP4C983) and there is no bridge mode available.

That makes me think the update is determined by the carrier SIM in the router, not the router itself.....

Hmm...there's an idea!

Edited by buggerlugs (Fri 01-May-20 10:48:34)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-May-20 10:59:00
Print Post

Interesting because my router dbm's are far better than yours with a SINR of 20dB, the only difference is you can get Band 1 and are also connected to another cell (getting Carrier Aggregation) to get the + on the end of your 4G.

Good signal levels does not indicate capacity. On Three you can have Band 20 and Band 3 aggregated and achieve 15 + 5 Mhz = 20 Mhz aggregated. On EE you could have Band 3 + Band 3 aggregated and achieve 20 + 15 Mhz = 35 aggregated. That is before you add any other bands, such as Band 7 in some dense areas.

I can only get connected to my mast on band 3 with no CA, and the best I've seen (this year) is around 70Mbps. Last November I was getting over 100Mbps, after then it started to slide. Its never recovered really since January.

That could be load on your cell site, around your area, since a lot of people are home working at the moment and hopefully not moving around as they used to !

Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 11:06:10
Print Post

Good signal levels do not indicate capacity, is a real great advert to folks wanting to improve their speeds with external LTE antenna.

Also I notice not many mobile telco's actually say what speeds you can expect to achieve, so it covers their collective backsides very well when they oversubscribe their services.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-May-20 12:37:22
Print Post

Also I notice not many mobile telco's actually say what speeds you can expect to achieve, so it covers their collective backsides very well when they oversubscribe their services.

Its not really covering, its fundamental to a shared medium like radio.

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 01-May-20 19:28:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by hoopla:
I used to get really good speeds from EE but Three was cheaper and good enough. When Three stopped working well, I tried EE again, and they were terrible.
Three and EE had been using the same mast, and it seemingly wasn't there any more.
But it has come back on line for Three, and with it, decent performance.
I've not checked to see if EE also has it working again now.

I thought it seemed too good to be true.

That cell has gone off line again, the speeds are bad again and I've had to switch back to Band 20.

No sign of a problem on the 3 Coverage page, but I suspect there is still a problem.

Lockdown means that I can't drive the ten mile round trip to get to the place to see what's happening.

Maybe if the skies brighten up, I'll get a telescope out and see if I can see what's happening: it is clear line of sight, even though it's 3.46km away.

Edited by hoopla (Fri 01-May-20 19:31:36)

Standard User kams19
(learned) Sat 09-May-20 18:26:26
Print Post

Three Network is playing again - 2-3M download speed from the usual 35-40M. The network issue tracker - says no issue in my post code.
It has become the most unreliable network now!
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 09-May-20 19:29:31
Print Post

I believe it'll just be the level on contention on your mast. Rebooting the router helps.....I find sometimes 10-15 times per day is required.

When you reach an amount of download I think Three auto-throttle you but rebooting the router seems to fix it for a while.
Standard User kams19
(learned) Sun 10-May-20 14:32:23
Print Post

I had hardly used any data as was on my other internet connection. I had done the basic reboot, etc but that didnt help. Had a chat and was transferred to second line who did some tests and took my complaint to investigate further - to come back in the usual 7 days. But they called me today and it seems they have fixed it. Speeds back to the usual 35-40M.Lets see how long it lasts.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sun 10-May-20 14:42:34
Print Post

Its was just contention on your mast then and they're spinning you a line.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Mon 11-May-20 17:40:02
Print Post

Deleted. Problem returned.Useless info

Edited by woodmass14 (Mon 11-May-20 20:52:31)

(member) Thu 18-Jun-20 13:22:52
Print Post

Re: Is Three struggling at the moment or is it just me

My Three connection has continued to be flaky, mostly still usable, but the last two weeks it has got to the point where I occasionally have to try twice to load some webpages frown

So, time to try something else. EE is on the same tower, so I now have an EE unlimited SIM.

Since I was going up the ladder to replace the SIM, I took the opportunity for a router upgrade and moved to the category 6 Mikrotik SXT. Whether that will make any practical difference I don't know, there is sadly no CA on the tower yet.

Looking ok so far, it is giving me a speedtest of ~75/45. 45 up is nice, never got far beyond 30 with Three.

Ping time are down from the typical 40-60 on Three to 20-50, which is a very nice improvement.

We'll see how it performs over time, if it isn't at least as good as Three for the next week then I'll be taking advantage of the 14 day cooling off period on the contract.

Edited by andynormancx (Thu 18-Jun-20 13:23:31)

Standard User kams19
(learned) Fri 19-Jun-20 16:50:16
Print Post

Even I had switched to Vodafone 4G - its 70M/34M most of the time. Have kept 3 for back-up. But I keep testing 3 over the weekends - and as you mentioned even I have refresh the websites to work. Problem is when you are doing a financial transaction and it hangs!
(member) Sat 04-Jul-20 18:20:10
Print Post

EE is doing better so far. No flaky connections and I've been able to disable my script that rebooted the router once a day.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-20 19:32:43
Print Post

EE is doing better so far. No flaky connections and I've been able to disable my script that rebooted the router once a day.

EE have a lot more radio capacity deployed, so even if they have the same number of users in your area, there is more per user.

Across the country EE has over double the users of Three, based on the customer stats on Wikipedia.

(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:17:23
Print Post

EE have a lot more radio capacity deployed, so even if they have the same number of users in your area, there is more per user.

Round me they don't have a lot more, though I know they have more 3G/4G spectrum available to use than Three do. For example the tower I'm connected to has 20Mhz whereas Three on the same tower has 15Mhz. And there are more Three towers in the immediate area than EE ones.

None of the EE towers around here appear to be offering more than 20Mhz of bandwidth. There is a single Three tower in the area that gets 20Mhz thanks to CA.

I suspect the higher price of unlimited data on EE has as much impact as their extra spectrum/masts.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:39:11
Print Post

A lot of the problem with the way 4g home broadband is sold is that the information isn't easily available, because the carriers don't want people to know how under invested their infrastructure really is.

What 4g home customers need is a website where they can put their home postcode in and it'll tell them what masts from what carriers are in range, what bands they operate on and what spectrum bandwidth the carriers have to operate it over.

That way you could get "a better" idea which carrier would be best for you.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:45:10
Print Post

Round me they don't have a lot more, though I know they have more 3G/4G spectrum available to use than Three do. For example the tower I'm connected to has 20Mhz whereas Three on the same tower has 15Mhz. And there are more Three towers in the immediate area than EE ones.

Yes, each area will vary, but in terms of total holdings deployed for 4G (LTE), EE has much more than Three, see these graphics:
https://pedroc.co.uk/content/uk-commercial-mobile-sp...

None of the EE towers around here appear to be offering more than 20Mhz of bandwidth. There is a single Three tower in the area that gets 20Mhz thanks to CA.

I wonder if your area population is lower, or less EE customers than other networks.

Here my local mast is only capable of Band 3, but I have 20+15 on EE, but on Three there is only 15mhz. Neither network has Band 20 deployed in town. Vodafone has Band 1 and Band 20.

I suspect the higher price of unlimited data on EE has as much impact as their extra spectrum/masts.

I wonder if EE are high, or Three are too cheap to build a performing network? I notice SIM only prices on Vodafone and O2 are quite similar to EE. Three are WAY cheaper.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:45:59
Print Post

This is where the Cellmapper site is the only place to look. Being crowd sourced, it needs people with Android phones to run the app and upload their findings.

Standard User cje85
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:54:53
Print Post

It's rare for an EE mast to only transmit 20MHz. There will almost certainly be a second 10 or 15MHz carrier in the 1800MHz band. The second carrier is itself being increased to 20MHz in some places, leaving only 5MHz of 2G/GSM.

Edited by cje85 (Sun 05-Jul-20 12:56:43)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 13:00:53
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:
It's rare for an EE mast to only transmit 20MHz. There will almost certainly be a second 10 or 15MHz carrier in the 1800MHz band. The second carrier is itself being increased to 20MHz in some places, leaving only 5MHz of 2G/GSM.

There are a few around here that are single band B3, but the large towers that cover half the town are dual B3, (20+15) and the town centre mast has B3+B7+B7 for 20+20+15.

(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 15:21:01
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:

I've not found any towers yet around me, just east of Colchester, that are giving me CA on my iPhone XS. Admittedly I've not been ranging far and wide thanks to lockdown, but not a lot of CA around here yet (or if there is, the towers aren't offering to me).

My Mikrotik is CA ready and it sees two different bands on Three, only gets the single 20Mhz on EE.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 15:56:24
Print Post

Assuming your iPhone XS is also on EE then in Field Test mode you should see under LTE -> CA Status an entry for “Component Carrier 0” or more. If you don’t have that then yes, no CA.

This is highly possible if speeds are around 50 Mbps, and you have light population density. I know from Tweets from others, that EE seem to have a target average of 50 Mbps, so if you get this fairly constantly then they won’t add capacity. If your area falls below this then they could add capacity to bring the average speeds back up.

If your iPhone shows CA but your Microtik does not, then perhaps the mast doesn’t like your Microtik.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Jul-20 16:04:00)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jul-20 16:16:11
Print Post

I've not found any towers yet around me, just east of Colchester, that are giving
me CA on my iPhone XS.

Not sure how far east you are, but this map may be useful.

As you can see a lot of EE masts, and on the A120 there are some with Band 3 and Band 20 deployed. What you can't tell unless you click on the mast, is if it has been updated with two sets of transmission for the same band.

Also if the last time the mast was surveyed was a while ago, it may have changed. e.g. anything May/June 2020 should be good, but if 2019 things MIGHT have changed.

eNB 16721 for example has B3 (1617) +B20 (6225), but the mast may not be allowing CA between them.

In my town, my mast has B3 (1617) + B3 (1788) but no B20.

Rural areas benefit from B20 due to distance covered, so if its a farming area this would make sense.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Jul-20 16:16:32)

(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 14:52:48
Print Post

My phone doesn't show CA (neither does Cellmapper for all but one of the masts around me).

I've used the Field Test mode a fair bit. We are well covered by EE masts around the area, when I've been out walking recently I've run the odd test. I rarely see under 50 Mbps in the area and I never see CA.

In the 4x4 mile box around where I am there are about 8 EE masts, according to Cellmapper, all only on band 3 and all only using a single frequency. Which matches what I've seen when out and about.

Further west you hit Colchester with a far higher population density and there they have lots of two or three band masts. And further east there are some too, especially when you hit Clacton, but just where I am there is no CA.

And if you look at Cellmapper you'll see that as soon as you are away from a town or a significant road EE are down to one band/frequency only.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jul-20 15:37:45
Print Post

I've used the Field Test mode a fair bit. We are well covered by EE masts around the area, when I've been out walking recently I've run the odd test. I rarely see under 50 Mbps in the area and I never see CA.
That is good speeds, my local mast dropped to around 5 Mbps, and often 1 Mbps, for 6 months or so, and then EE added the second B3 carrier of 15 Mhz. That brought speeds up to 100 Mbps in many cases.... until lockdown. Now I'm generally seeing 25 to 30 Mbps.

There is obviously a LOT of load here, but not surprising because the mast has been central in the housing estate for decades, where the competition was quite late to good indoor coverage.

(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 16:24:07
Print Post

Luckily my local mast has two segments facing a small town and one segment facing out largely over rural countryside. I'm on the quiet rural segment.

Our downstream is varying between 50 and 90 Mbps (with downstream rarely below 40 Mbps).

Unlike Three the speeds vary fairly predictable, dipping during the evening streaming period. On Three the slow times were basically random rather than matching typical high load periods.

Most of the other masts I'm close to while out and about in the immediate area are also in rural spots with low population density, hence decent speeds from a single 20MHz band.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jul-20 17:12:29
Print Post

Great ! I'm on 3 sector mast which is very tall (above 3 story nursing home) and it covers a large area. Before the load from everyone at home, I had very good speeds at home, but moving slightly further away would give over 100 regularly! Now about 30 on a good day smile

The competition has improved, but Vodafone for example gives 35 to 40 now, used to be awful smile

Standard User kams19
(learned) Thu 09-Jul-20 13:40:43
Print Post

I think Vodafone has decent deals on Unltd data options.. it comes to around £14 after cashback.. and the speed is decent and consistent. Not good for someone who needs public IP.
I have kept my 3 connection for backup and strangely its having decent download/upload today. Not sure if they have finally got a grip over the network?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jul-20 20:41:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by kams19:
I think Vodafone has decent deals on Unltd data options.. it comes to around £14 after cashback.. and the speed is decent and consistent. Not good for someone who needs public IP.
That is a good price, is that for the full speed? I assume this is a phone SIM deal, used in a data device?

I have kept my 3 connection for backup and strangely its having decent download/upload today. Not sure if they have finally got a grip over the network?

More likely some heavy users have moved out of the coverage of that mast, perhaps gone shopping?!

Standard User kams19
(learned) Fri 10-Jul-20 10:21:30
Print Post

yes the vodafone sim is all unltd options (full speed).. you can check on fonehouse, mobiles .co . uk, etc

Maybe - the slow loading of pages is back on 3 so im back to vodafone. my happiness was short lived.
Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-20 16:14:40
Print Post

I have come back here and registered specifically to try and give some hope and a solution to people who (like myself) have been having really weird 'sticky' internet with Three.

E.g. you'll be browsing fine, then suddenly it just starts to refuse to load pages. Often until you restart but that doesn't always fix it.

Here is what I have done.

Firstly, I got a TP Link Archer Mr6 router. This took my speed from around 12mbs to 40mbs and 4G+. Great I thought, all sorted.

Nope, same issue, but now I can get faster speeds between the issue happening.

Here is where I hit gold though.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM sitting about. This happens to be one of the routers that ExpressVPN release their own software for.

I have now put that router between the TP Link Archer and my home wifi. This means that all the traffic on the network now goes in and out of a VPN connection. Three is no longer doing any of the DNS or traffic routing/lookups.

Since I have put this VPN in the middle my internet has been absolutely lightening fast and not got stuck once! On any device.

So... here is a way for you to test if this solution might work for you.

1. Get connected as usual
2. Install Express VPN as a trial on your machine (other VPNs may do the same I expect)
3. See how your internet is on THAT specific machine while connected

If you find that this resolves the issue for long enough, you might then consider putting your own ExpressVPN router VPN in-between three and your home wifi.

Right now I have

Archer
goes into
WRT3200ACM with express vpn firmware installed
goes into
ORBI home wifi to get the signal through the house

Yeah, it's not a cheap setup, but now out in the country I have 50mbs flawless. Very happy.

There are very likely cheaper ways to achieve this but hopefully this triggers some ideas.

Finally, I did try setting up express VPN on the threeUK supplied 4g modem as it has space to do so. At the time I found that broke some things / it wasn't great so I removed those settings in the end. That may be worth exploring as perhaps with another VPN or your specific network setup that will work just fine.

Anyway, I hope this maybe helps someone smile
Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 12:46:29
Print Post

[re: gogothree] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gogothree:
I have come back here and registered specifically to try and give some hope and a solution to people who (like myself) have been having really weird 'sticky' internet with Three.

Thanks for posting that. It gave me more confidence to try something similar, as I too had the nasty Three internet issues - websites stalling, freezing, etc.

I had a Draytek 2860 router laying around and tried to put ExpressVPN on it (between my Unifi system, and the Huawei B593s in the loft) - however, even with lots of help from ExpressVPN I just failed to make it work properly. Google.com would load fine, bbc.co.uk wouldn't, and most sites were just failing to load. I have no idea what was wrong, so gave up.

So I then tried NordVPN using their recommended Draytek setup. Initially had problems as the password on the Draytek is limited to 15 characters, and the NordVPN suggestion was far longer - but the Draytek site has some updated info and says to use the normal account login details, which work fine (minus any odd characters).

Now everything works perfectly - no drop in speed (the Draytek can handle 50Mbps, and my link is normally around 30Mbps) and webpages now work properly - fingers crossed it stays that way!
Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 13:48:41
Print Post

[re: rpdm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rpdm:
Now everything works perfectly - no drop in speed (the Draytek can handle 50Mbps, and my link is normally around 30Mbps) and webpages now work properly - fingers crossed it stays that way!

Well I gave up on the VPN in the end.

Trying to keep the VPN server URL up to date as Netflix gradually catches up and blocks them was a nightmare. Some clothing websites also block the traffic, and my remote-login to work became very unreliable.

I then tried a Vodafone SIM, got a full 5 bar signal, but barely more than 5Mbps download (20Mbps upload), which apparently is a known issue at the moment (see Vodafone forums).

So I'm back to Three with it's known page-stalling 'feature'... at least until my 2-year wait for FTTPoD is finally over in 2 months.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-20 13:59:16
Print Post

Well I gave up on the VPN in the end.

That might be where AAISP's L2TP service comes in useful, as this looks as if you are a broadband customer of AAISP, rather than using a VPN. Note it is not encrypted.
https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-20 14:15:29
Print Post

That might be where AAISP's L2TP service comes in useful, as this looks as if you are a broadband customer of AAISP, rather than using a VPN. Note it is not encrypted.

Thanks - will check that out.

Some light at the end of a (layer 2) tunnel!
Standard User rpdm
(newbie) Sat 15-Aug-20 17:00:54
Print Post

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

Just ordered the 2TB/month service, which was incredibly quick & easy. Then stuck the details into the Draytek 2860 and I was up & running (the WAN / LT2P page).

Now the internet works like it's supposed to!

Edited by rpdm (Sat 15-Aug-20 17:02:03)

Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 10:27:27
Print Post

The page hanging problem seems particularity rampant this morning. I've tried changing DNS servers but its not going away, seems to be a packet loss problem across the core of the three network.
Standard User kams19
(learned) Tue 18-Aug-20 10:34:09
Print Post

can you try WinMTR to see where the packet loss is, maybe report here or on the three website..
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 10:58:48
Print Post

Getting upto 100% loss on hops 2,4,and 7 to numerous websites currently.
Hops 5 and 6 see between 30 and 10 % packet loss.
Standard User kams19
(learned) Tue 18-Aug-20 11:15:01
Print Post

100% loss is for the hops which dont reply to the pings (like firewalls)
the hops where it shows the domain name/IP - look for the loss there, thats where the packet is dropped due to congestion?
thats your arsenal to complain to THREE

Edited by kams19 (Tue 18-Aug-20 11:20:33)

Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 11:22:20
Print Post

Getting upto 100% loss on hops 2,4,and 7 to numerous websites currently.
Hops 5 and 6 see between 30 and 10 % packet loss.
Can you post the website you were trying (assuming it's not sensitive information). I will try and corroborate.

Edited by Anonymous1337 (Tue 18-Aug-20 11:22:55)

Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 11:55:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous1337] [link to this post]

Have PM'd you those traces. I'd say there's some packet loss there.

Also of note is this speed test I've just done.

4g+ 35Mbps down 2Mbps up (bands 1 and 3)
4g 46Mbps down 28Mbps up (band 3 only)

Go figure!
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:07:58
Print Post

The ICMP ping packet loss in intermediate hops is irrelevant. That doesn't tell you whether or not they are dropping "real" traffic.

Do you get packet loss from the website you are trying to use ? (if it responds to ICMP pings)
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:37:28
Print Post

Rarely, when the "feature" shows its head it doesn't matter what website I try to visit, my browser simply hangs until it times out or does nothing. Then as quick as the issue raises its head it disappears.

I thought it might be something to do with firefox using link and dns prefetching but they're disabled, also network.http.speculative-parallel-limit (speculative pre-connections) but that's set to zero.
Standard User GMScribe
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-20 20:09:44
Print Post

I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network with the rest of the Three network, pages are constantly failing to load and stalling.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Aug-20 21:36:28
Print Post

[re: GMScribe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GMScribe:
I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network

The former Relish / UK Broadband network that Three purchased?? Were you a customer of Relish before?

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 28-Aug-20 22:01:27
Print Post

I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network

The former Relish / UK Broadband network that Three purchased?? Were you a customer of Relish before?

I was a Relish customer for 12 months...bargain on the face of it. Nightmare to get anything working with it. VOIP especially.
Standard User Monkey
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 00:18:49
Print Post

[re: GMScribe] [link to this post]

I'm now finding this exact same issue for the first time since Three recently merged its London 5G network with the rest of the Three network, pages are constantly failing to load and stalling.

I've had the same problem since my 5G connection was moved from the UKBroadband network to the Three network. Very annoying. Fortunately, using a VPN gets around the problem but that shouldn't be necessary.

Does anyone know if Three have acknowledged the issue and are planning to fix it?
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 09:32:37
Print Post

[re: Monkey] [link to this post]

They are well aware of it but are unwilling to acknowledge it or publicly accept it exists. I think they've got a routing issue across their core they either don't have the knowledge to fix or owe a network provider money, or possibly both.
Standard User Appy
(learned) Mon 07-Sep-20 11:39:16
Print Post

My area was recently upgraded to 5G so I thought I'd give Three Broadband a try. I've been a customer for years on 2 phone contracts and never had any cause for complaint. The router arrived, plugged in & seemed to pick up a good 5G signal (96% on their tester in the web interface).Initial tests were good with between 400 and 500 Mbps.

I was initially happy. However it soon became apparent that their core network is not very mature. Websites were just sluggish even though ping latency was good. Sometimes sites just won't load at all for 30-60secs. Sometimes static assets on a page (an image, etc) would be missing. Seems like their network has a packet loss issue. I used Wireshark to grab some network traffic & I could see timeouts & retransmissions, and massively delayed TCP responses.

I switched back to my Sky Broadband connection and noticed an immediate performance improvement. Whilst it was only giving ~60Mbps download speeds, websites would load quickly and completely without the same delay that I'd see on Three.

It's a shame, but I shall be calling them today to return it under the 14 day distance selling option. I'll check back again in future to see if they've improved their core network because their last mile is amazing.
Standard User LondonCalling
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-20 14:57:15
Print Post

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

Just to add to this thread I'm using Three broadband with an external 5G router. I get pretty good network speeds of between 250 to 300 download and 15 to 25 upload. Latency is consistently low – less than 20 ms.

What I've found is similar to the other users on here i.e. the 5G network availability is pretty reliable but page load times and content loading is extremely hit and mess – some images don't load but simply changing from the three connection to EE results in an immediate page load. Connecting through a vpn completely removes the issue of slow content albeit only on devices that can support vpn.

Three clearly have some problems in their core network that are now pretty long-standing. The reality for me is that I would rather pay more to have an EE 5G connection than carry on using Three. Ironically Three has financial issues that could be solved by attracting more higher paying subscribers to the network.
Standard User richi
(member) Tue 08-Sep-20 16:28:42
Print Post

Quick pointer to this thread, where I describe how it's fixed for me: Three is finally working properly OMFG.

70/30 Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Standard User kommando
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 07:15:01
Print Post

[re: LondonCalling] [link to this post]

1.1.1.1 warp helps with page loading, it tunnels the DNS lookup so Three cannot mess the process up
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Wed 09-Sep-20 07:42:38
Print Post

It also finds the best routes for your traffic when using WARP. It does slow down the bandwidth a touch, but it makes it worthwhile for solid web surfing.
Standard User richi
(member) Thu 10-Sep-20 14:03:19
Print Post

That's nice, but no use on my Chromebook, Amazon Fire, Harmony Hub, YouView DVR, etc. And I'm not putting on any of our phones, given the reports of overheating and sucking batteries dry.

Anyway, it looks like the problem's fixed, so no need to cover it up any longer.

70/30 Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to