General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Sun 01-Mar-20 09:15:09
Print Post

Great speeds on Vodafone. Invest in router?

[link to this post]

I bought an unlimited 5G (4G only available here atm) sim from vodafone with the plan to just use it in my mobile, but also to test what kind of speeds I would get as my home connection is dreadful. (FTTC 15/1)

I had previously played with Three, O2 and EE sims but never got more than 10mbps.

After inserting my sim I ran various speed tests and I was shocked (and honestly quite excited) about the results I was getting peaks of 110mbps from my bedroom, but an average of 71.54 Mbps Down / 22 Mbps Up.

So far the last few days I've been tethering it to my PC (USB cable) and things are great, but I don't really want to tank my Samsung S8 battery.

Where do I go from here? Invest in a good 4G router like one of the netgear ones. Get a microtik and mount it outside?

Edited by Xuse (Sun 01-Mar-20 09:15:51)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-20 10:29:31
Print Post

Re: Great speeds on Vodafone. Invest in router?

[re: Xuse] [link to this post]

Good luck - am interested too.

When I had a look around my 'wishlist' item if I had 5G was the Huawei 5G CPE Pro - H112-370 (for UK - has 802.11ax wifi). Also there's the H112-372 (for china - should work fine). I looked at the netgears mostly on the 4G side nd saw they didn't have B32. But I'm interested in what you find - for my next step if in the same situation after moving.
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Sun 01-Mar-20 11:30:51
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

I was originally going to buy the MR1100 (4G) because it has the Snapdragon X16 LTE Modem. Arguably one of the best modems used in modern phones.

However, Netgear announced a 5G router in January. https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadba... but I expect this to be really expensive considering the MR1100 is £250...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Mar-20 12:33:43
Print Post

[re: Xuse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Xuse:
I was originally going to buy the MR1100 (4G) because it has the Snapdragon X16 LTE Modem. Arguably one of the best modems used in modern phones.

However, Netgear announced a 5G router in January. https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadba... but I expect this to be really expensive considering the MR1100 is £250...

Netgear have an older and newer ranges, the older range is the Aircard, with the 810s one of the top models, supporting upto 600 Mbps, and delivering LTE Cat 12 connectivity. Between £175 and £190 on Amazonif you can find stock.

MR1100 = nighthawk MR1 = £249 on Amazon

MR2100 = nighthawk MR2 = £345 on Amazon

MR5200 = nighthawk M5 = still awaiting pricing / release frown

The M1 and M2 use WiFi 5 (ac) and the M5 uses WiFi 6 (ax).

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User bluecat1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 22:27:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have experimented with various 4g routers with mixed results but now have a microtik and Netgear MR1100. I put the Netgear in bridge mode and leave most other settings default and it has been running faultlessly for months now on EE unlimited. I can totally recommend this setup.
  Print Thread

Jump to