General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 21-Mar-20 13:45:08
Print Post

Which 4G options give a routeable IP address?

[link to this post]

At present, I'm using Three 4g.
Although the IP address changes far too often, the addresses I get are proper public routeable ones and VOIP is working just fine.
The problem is that the data speeds have gone from "fairly good" to "mostly rubbish". This is partly because the base station I was using has vanished, and partly because Three seem to have messed up their data network in some botched reconfiguration.
It has been bad for well over a month now, so I am trying to work out a Plan B.
In the past, EE has been excellent, but I tried an EE sim and it was as bad as Three - the base station that EE used to use has also vanished: it and the Three base were on the same church tower.
Although the EE IP address were probably routeable, most of the VOIP connections were not working.
So the next step is to try Vodafone. But there's no point if their IPs are no good or if VOIP is not going to get through.
Can anyone tell me what sorts of IP addresses each network's different APN settings give? Or can anyone suggest where I might find out?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Mar-20 15:37:34
Print Post

Re: Which 4G options give a routeable IP address?

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
Can anyone tell me what sorts of IP addresses each network's different APN settings give? Or can anyone suggest where I might find out?

Three's broadband APN provides a public routable IPv4. If you use the phone APN you are behind CGNAT.

All the other networks use CGNAT.
EE supply IPv6 to many devices, which is fully routable.

Which VoIP service are you using that doesn't work through CGNAT? Some can, and some work if given a STUN endpoint to query.

Alternative is a L2TP tunnel over the cellular from say AAISP, which would give you a routable IPv4 (and an IPv6 block) to an endpoint of your choice. Many home routers can terminate L2TP for example.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 22:10:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Three's broadband APN provides a public routable IPv4. If you use the phone APN you are behind CGNAT.

All the other networks use CGNAT.
EE supply IPv6 to many devices, which is fully routable.

Which VoIP service are you using that doesn't work through CGNAT? Some can, and some work if given a STUN endpoint to query.

Alternative is a L2TP tunnel over the cellular from say AAISP, which would give you a routable IPv4 (and an IPv6 block) to an endpoint of your choice. Many home routers can terminate L2TP for example.

Thanks for the info. At present I'm using 3internet as the APN, but switching to three.co.uk doesn't seem to make much difference. Is the former supposed to be the broadband one, and the latter the phone one?

Thinking about it, we are using at least three different VoIP services. All of them work nicely on Three, but some of them won't work in EE.

It may be possible to set up STUN to get round this, if necessary, but I'm not specially keen to pay another tenner a month for a L2TP tunnel. Unless it will get me a faster connection, that is!

On the other hand, there's no minimum term, so perhaps it's worth punting a tenner on it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Mar-20 22:30:33
Print Post

Thanks for the info. At present I'm using 3internet as the APN, but switching to three.co.uk doesn't seem to make much difference. Is the former supposed to be the broadband one, and the latter the phone one?
Apologies, I no longer use Three, so can't test. You should be able to see the IP address assigned, and compare that with one from a website such as https://ipchicken.com/
Thinking about it, we are using at least three different VoIP services. All of them work nicely on Three, but some of them won't work in EE.
Most companies have moved to more modern services now, e.g. the video conferencing systems of Zoom and similar. Normal SIP type VoIP (sipgate, and others) work through one level of NAT. The problem of CGNAT is that you have NAT in the network, and ALSO another NAT on your router.
It may be possible to set up STUN to get round this, if necessary, but I'm not specially keen to pay another tenner a month for a L2TP tunnel. Unless it will get me a faster connection, that is!
It won't increase speed.
On the other hand, there's no minimum term, so perhaps it's worth punting a tenner on it.
It may be your only choice if you have no usable FTTC / VDSL.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 23:43:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Zoom is no good to me unless it will let me port in my existing phone numbers to receive POTS calls on a POTS phone.
I've no use for video conferencing. Tried it so many times, however much you spend, it's more of a distraction than any help.
I could have FTTC, but Three was much faster (now it is a bit slower down, a bit faster up) and much cheaper.

Edited by hoopla (Mon 23-Mar-20 23:43:45)

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 24-Mar-20 07:54:02
Print Post

Yes, on three.co.uk you'll have CGNAT and no public routable IPV4.
Standard User radiodan
(learned) Tue 24-Mar-20 12:48:18
Print Post

I use Sipgate over both EE and Three connections (the EE one being CGNAT) with no problems whatsoever. The sipgate settings defins a STUN server to use.

I have systems here which automatically switch the VoIP between EE and Three should one or other drop out (which they do from time-to-time). Again, no problems.

I have not tried other VoIP providers.

Dan

Zen business broadband + line rental ADSL 15/1 (ish) on Draytek 2860.
3 and EE WISP broadband 80/20 (ish) on Draytek 2960 via Mikrotek SXT LTE's operating in load-balance/fallover mode.
  Print Thread

Jump to