General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Sun 14-Jun-20 14:52:20
Print Post

Smarty slow/stalling page loading

[link to this post]

I'm under the impression that Smarty have some kind of proxy setup on their network from some of the posts on here. Well, I'm thinking that this thing is pretty damn slow recently.

Recently in the past 2-3 weeks, I've found some pages are very slow to load. Looking in the network tab, the loading seems to stall on mundane things on the page. Javascript scripts, logos and other things from CDNs. The loading of these will just hang for 20-40 seconds randomly holding the whole page up. Example on ThinkBroadband... the background image takes 20 seconds to load.

Needless to say, this is sort of annoying. The problem, of course, disappears when via a VPN. Actual throughput is fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this on Smarty or perhaps 3?

Ben
Standard User clyde123
(member) Mon 15-Jun-20 10:13:53
Print Post

Re: Smarty slow/stalling page loading

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Interesting.
I use a 4G router with a Smarty unlimited sim, using it for things like Windows downloads and updates which otherwise might saturate my normal connection.
Over the past week or more I've had a few times where I got "not connected to the internet" messages.
Haven't wasted any time trying to problem solve this, but interesting what you say. "Might" be connected.
Standard User pipcoo
(learned) Mon 15-Jun-20 10:50:47
Print Post

I`ve been experiencing similar things with my 3 unlimited data sim over the last 3-4 days so it might be a more widespread problem with network capacity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ardmhacha
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 11:26:21
Print Post

I'm in Ireland and just moved to 4G broadband with Smarty and download speeds are x10 faster than my fibre connection. However, I am experiencing the same issue with some pages taking 10-20 seconds to open. Streaming etc is perfectly fine. Also there is a marked improvement when I go through NordVPN. Definitely a widespread problem.
Standard User pipcoo
(learned) Mon 15-Jun-20 12:27:26
Print Post

[re: ardmhacha] [link to this post]

I`m in Northern Ireland and have also noticed an improvement when using a VPN, any idea why this would be?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Jun-20 10:17:10
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

Could be DNS is failing i.e. slow or not responding, or some exit routes from a network are heavily congested but VPN tunnels out through one of the good ones by chance.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Tue 16-Jun-20 11:31:01
Print Post

[re: ardmhacha] [link to this post]

I'm in Ireland and just moved to 4G broadband with Smarty and download speeds are x10 faster than my fibre connection. However, I am experiencing the same issue with some pages taking 10-20 seconds to open. Streaming etc is perfectly fine. Also there is a marked improvement when I go through NordVPN. Definitely a widespread problem.

Cheers, ardmhacha. Sounds like exactly the same.

A lot of the more popular websites like YouTube all work perfectly fine. Problems seem to start when you come across less popular sites.

Ben
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Tue 16-Jun-20 11:35:03
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Interesting.
I use a 4G router with a Smarty unlimited sim, using it for things like Windows downloads and updates which otherwise might saturate my normal connection.
Over the past week or more I've had a few times where I got "not connected to the internet" messages.
Haven't wasted any time trying to problem solve this, but interesting what you say. "Might" be connected.

I haven't noticed this personally. It always seems to be connected. It's just browsing the web that I notice. Could be related though.

Ben
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Tue 16-Jun-20 19:33:37
Print Post

Uploaded a video of the issue to make it clearer. Should stream on most browsers.

Seems really bad tonight.

Ben
Standard User syncropatrick
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-20 14:50:59
Print Post

Changing DNS servers away from Three's own doesn't help.
Large downloads and popular websites such Facebook and BBC are fine.
To make minor websites work OK, only way I've found is to use my corporate VPN.

I agree it looks like their proxy is the holdup.

In USO land.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to